• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played some online for the first time! It was a lot of fun, and a bit chaotic too. I'll have to look at some Monster Hunter etiquette guides to make sure I don't piss anybody off.

No need. I happen to have one right here:

1. Don't attack mounted monsters. It will knock the person off and waste a mount threshold.
2. Generally try to be at different parts of the monster when it gets knocked down. If you're stacked on top of each other, you'll just knock each other over (or worse) and waste free damage.
3. If you have a Hunting Horn or Hammer user, be courteous and let them have the head most of the time, even if your weapon's element/damage type is most effective at the head.

3a. If you have an HH or hammer user but you absolutely still want to be at the head, do not get mad if you eat a superpound and go flying.

3b. If you ARE an HH or hammer user, do not feel bad for superpounding the head when a chance presents itself, even if you send someone flying.

4. Don't risk carving tails/picking up shinies if there's a possibility doing so will kill you. It's frustrating to lose a cart because someone wanted to see if they could hit a 1-3% chance carve.

I'll edit as I think of more. Or continue to leech off Kinsei.

See the below post.
*Undeserved mic drop*.

Kinsei

Banned
I played some online for the first time! It was a lot of fun, and a bit chaotic too. I'll have to look at some Monster Hunter etiquette guides to make sure I don't piss anybody off.

Some basic etiquette

1. Don't attack a monster when someone is mounting it
  2. Don't join a random room and then post a quest. Help out the person that created the room/the people that have joined before you.
  3. When doing an urgent always try and stick around to help out the people that helped you do yours.
  4. Try not to trip people. Some tripping is to be expected, so just don't go overboard.
  5. Bring lifepowders on every quest.
  6. If you make/join a room for farming a specific monster don't just start posting other monsters once you get the items you need. Always check and see if your teammates still need parts first.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Starting to reach the point where the Caravan quests are kinda kicking my ass. 8* at the moment, and hunts are starting to take over 30 minutes and I'm more often than not running through most/all of the Potions and Mega Potions I bring in. Either I'm just very, very rusty or 4U is way harder than Tri and Freedom Unite (and I'm sure that can't be the case, especially with Freedom Unite). *sigh*

Kinsei

Banned
Starting to reach the point where the Caravan quests are kinda kicking my ass. 8* at the moment, and hunts are starting to take over 30 minutes and I'm more often than not running through most/all of the Potions and Mega Potions I bring in. Either I'm just very, very rusty or 4U is way harder than Tri and Freedom Unite (and I'm sure that can't be the case, especially with Freedom Unite). *sigh*

I'd say 4U is harder than Freedom Unite. While the monsters deal less damage per attack they are much more aggressive and much harder to predict (especially the new ones).

_Isaac

No need. I happen to have one right here:

1. Don't attack mounted monsters. It will knock the person off and waste a mount threshold.
2. Generally try to be at different parts of the monster when it gets knocked down. If you're stacked on top of each other, you'll just knock each other over (or worse) and waste free damage.
3. If you have a Hunting Horn or Hammer user, be courteous and let them have the head most of the time, even if your weapon's element/damage type is most effective at the head.

3a. If you have an HH or hammer user but you absolutely still want to be at the head, do not get mad if you eat a superpound and go flying.

3b. If you ARE an HH or hammer user, do not feel bad for superpounding the head when a chance presents itself, even if you send someone flying.

4. Don't risk carving tails/picking up shinies if there's a possibility doing so will kill you. It's frustrating to lose a cart because someone wanted to see if they could hit a 1-3% chance carve.

I'll edit as I think of more. Or continue to leech off Kinsei.

See the below post.
*Undeserved mic drop*.

Some basic etiquette

1. Don't attack a monster when someone is mounting it
  2. Don't join a random room and then post a quest. Help out the person that created the room/the people that have joined before you.
  3. When doing an urgent always try and stick around to help out the people that helped you do yours.
  4. Try not to trip people. Some tripping is to be expected, so just don't go overboard.
  5. Bring lifepowders on every quest.
  6. If you make/join a room for farming a specific monster don't just start posting other monsters once you get the items you need. Always check and see if your teammates still need parts first.

Thanks! That's very helpful. Also... lose a cart? What does that mean?

so i'm hr3 and 4 star caravan

i'm using gore magala armor...should i bother crafting decorations at this point?

You can if you want. You can remove decorations from armor so they won't really go to waste. So if you can have the mats for some skills that you really want, go for it!

Thanks! That's very helpful. Also... lose a cart? What does that mean?

Sorry, I should've said lives. 3 lives shared amongst the party regardless of 1, 2, 3, or 4 players.

Lots of people say they "carted" instead of "died" because the Felyne cart picks you up and takes you back to base camp.

Shengar

I'd say 4U is harder than Freedom Unite. While the monsters deal less damage per attack they are much more aggressive and much harder to predict (especially the new ones).
I think it's the hitboxes that improved significantly for many monsters. Diablos that I just fought a moment ago, not as terrifying as I remembered it from MH3U. But the damage is crazier to. He OHKO me with his horn charge while enraged and I'm sure I still got at least 3/4 of my HP left!

R0ckman

I think it's the hitboxes that improved significantly for many monsters. Diablos that I just fought a moment ago, not as terrifying as I remembered it from MH3U. But the damage is crazier to. He OHKO me with his horn charge while enraged and I'm sure I still got at least 3/4 of my HP left!

Hitbox is still bad on him, I was running up behind after he charged. He was finishing his skid stopping animation. I took damage touching the back of his foot.

I want to get into bow for a bit and was wondering if the kushala g-rank armor is a good armor to start with?

Looks pretty good to me. I've been using the bow for most of the game and from what I can gather, Loading and Fast Charge are probably the two most important skills for bows.

Looks pretty good to me. I've been using the bow for most of the game and from what I can gather, Loading and Fast Charge are probably the two most important skills for bows.

Absolutely true in MHFU (the last time I've used bow extensively) and it's probably still true here. I'm not gonna start bowing in this game until "progression" is done, though.

JimPanzer

Absolutely true in MHFU (the last time I've used bow extensively) and it's probably still true here. I'm not gonna start bowing in this game until "progression" is done, though.

okay, gonna make this set, looks absolutely gorgeous too. which skills should I aim for to socket in? I got an +8 evade dist talisman, does that make sense on bow?

So I've decided to get into mixing sets. Does this sound like a good for an all purpose blademaster set? (obviously missing greatsword stuff)

Sharpness +1
Rock Steady
Adrenaline +1
Evasion +2

I've pretty much got all the materials already minus some mining and the gems aren't too hard to make. Hoping I don't end up looking like a clown.

I kinda feel like I should have done the same. Dunno if it's just me or not but it feels like the bow doesn't get much love (from the game and players). Only started using bow in this game and I find it super fun.

okay, gonna make this set, looks absolutely gorgeous too. which skills should I aim for to socket in? I got an +8 evade dist talisman, does that make sense on bow?

Evade is fun. I've read a couple bow users like it. I actually haven't tried Evade Dist. though. Could be useful since you have to be moving around so much.

I forgot the name of the skill, but it's the one that gives any bow the ability to equip the power coating. It is really useful if the bow you're using doesn't come with stock power coating.

Busaiku

Monoblos set almost complete, and it looks like it'll be great.
I get Attack Up (L) from the set itself, so I can finally ditch my +4 Attack Talisman and get a whole bunch of skills.
Gets a more slots than Kut-ku set too.

Just don't like the way it looks.
Kut-ku has definitely been my favorite so far.

Yes, that's good on bow. You generally shouldn't be at a distance where evasion+1/2/3 would be better than just evade distance.

Berordn

Monoblos set almost complete, and it looks like it'll be great.
I get Attack Up (L) from the set itself, so I can finally ditch my +4 Attack Talisman and get a whole bunch of skills.
Gets a more slots than Kut-ku set too.

Just don't like the way it looks.
Kut-ku has definitely been my favorite so far.

Maybe I just have awful taste but looks are the main reason I want the Monoblos set.

fleck0

If anyone wants to help kill Shagaru Magara for the HR6 -> 7 Urgent I have a room open. I'm up to stick around for a few runs if anyone else needs the urgent as well.

52-1667-4683-2242

edit: quest started

PKrockin

I almost can't express in words how helpful the screen shaking is for determining ideal distance for gunners. I played the bow a bit in 3U and the constant wondering if I'm really the right distance away drove me mad. It's so ridiculous I had to get a general idea from a Youtube video showing someone laying pieces of meat on the ground to visually express what distance I should be. If not for this feature I would honestly not have bothered learning the HBG, with all the different critical distances for different shot types and levels.

burgerdog

Anyone able to help me capture a Nerscylla or two and break the claws? I just need one more hardclaw to upgrade my weapon. G rank.

10 7675 5706 9019

Seil

Wait what screen shaking? I'm using an LBG and I haven't noticed anything.

If you're in critical distance, your hits will cause a noticeable spark and the screen will shake slightly.

Critical distance varies from shot to shot with bowgun. Elemental shots have no critical distance and are equally effective at all ranges.

With bows, it varies between rapid, spread and pierce shots. Close range coatings make it effective even at close range regardless(and with a Seregios bow, close range coatings gain the power coating's 50% damage increase).

Juraash

Went through Teostra, Rajang, Kushala and Akantor in caravan. Haven't fought most of them since I was deep into Freedom Unite and I bowed at least 2/4 back in the day. Was pleasantly surprised how well I went through them all with a weapon I had never used before this game.

I have some doubts about my ability to solo the HR7 key versions, especially the ones that are on a shorter timer. But I'll probably give it a try just the same. My guess is I'll have to group before HR7 is over as that urgent seems....interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom