• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Rawk Hawk

Seeing all these MHXX videos popping up in my YouTube feed is driving me a little crazy.. may have to jump into Gen again to scratch the itch.

Grudy

Seeing all these MHXX videos popping up in my YouTube feed is driving me a little crazy.. may have to jump into Gen again to scratch the itch.

Feeling the same way. Hearing that my save can continue over to XX is tempting me to get back into generations and maybe reach High rank or finish the single player for once.

Rawk Hawk

Feeling the same way. Hearing that my save can continue over to XX is tempting me to get back into generations and maybe reach High rank or finish the single player for once.

Yea, just hoping I could go from 3DS to Switch with it, assuming all goes to plan and we get to play MHXX on the Switch.

I think a friend of mine is going to try the series out, so in the next week or so we may be running through some of the stuff you need. I'll try to remember to post up here or on Discord if we have a hall open.

Dreavus

Man special permits is such a crazy grind. I'm up to Snowbaron 5 and it's starting to wear on me. I'll get the occasional unlocked HR hunter coming in to help online but they usually don't stick around for long (I don't think this is really a popular set either).

I get that it's supposed to be for endgame but I'm not used to this!

Also it is crazy to me that the armor bonuses from Snowbaron don't culminate into an IG weapon. Come on guys, that whole class is about spring-boarding around like a maniac! I really don't want to make another SA though. What's another good Snowbaron weapon for aerial style?

NewGame

Banned
Anyone want to hunt? I need to do some stuff in preparation to moving my save data across when the new release comes out.

Lagiacrus needs to die.

Brussels

Anyone want to hunt? I need to do some stuff in preparation to moving my save data across when the new release comes out.

Lagiacrus needs to die.

I've been wanting to complete some stuff too before the new game comes out. Been playing most nights. If you post when you're playing I'll try and join you.

Rawk Hawk

Man special permits is such a crazy grind. I'm up to Snowbaron 5 and it's starting to wear on me. I'll get the occasional unlocked HR hunter coming in to help online but they usually don't stick around for long (I don't think this is really a popular set either).

I get that it's supposed to be for endgame but I'm not used to this!

Also it is crazy to me that the armor bonuses from Snowbaron don't culminate into an IG weapon. Come on guys, that whole class is about spring-boarding around like a maniac! I really don't want to make another SA though. What's another good Snowbaron weapon for aerial style?

I don't know how well they work with Snowbaron, but I aerial Dual Blades and Hunting Horn pretty often. Neither are probably ideal, but both a lot of fun without giving up a major mechanic of the weapon.

Dreavus

I don't know how well they work with Snowbaron, but I aerial Dual Blades and Hunting Horn pretty often. Neither are probably ideal, but both a lot of fun without giving up a major mechanic of the weapon.

Snowbaron set is increased air attack damage and some extra evade distance and stamina recovery (and I think faster red health regeneration).

Dual blades are one of it's weapons so maybe I'll give that a shot.

mr.rager

Anyone pick up XX? I decided to start over again rather than importing my old X save. I need to get ready for work now but I'll be back by later tonight if anyone is down to play.

Kysen

100+hrs into XX and I feel like this release has been a love letter to fans. They made it so easy this time around. You get loads of items for free just for starting the game (dl pack).

Money is plentiful, last boss drops eggs that sell for 30-100k a piece. The set it drops allows you to make your own armor set along with transmog so you can look however you want.

Definitely my favourite game in the series.

nubbe

I got the Hunting Gear Grip XX today and it is exactly like the Hunting Gear Grip X, but it has a kickstand now so it is also Kid Icarus compatible and thus 359% better

tuffy

Shouldn't we have heard something about a planned localization / western release of XX by now?
Not necessarily. Generations wasn't announced until MHX had been out for months. Perhaps we'll get another Monster Hunter Direct with good news before long.

membran

The coming Direct is NX+3DS.

With the Direct's focus being on ARMS and Splatoon 2, I don't expect them to squeeze MH in there as well. Then again, they explicitly mention 3DS news, so we'll see I guess.

That being said, what I'm really waiting for is a XX Switch announcement. :)

Menitta

So I really want to get into Monster Hunter and I was told by a friend that "always start with the latest one."

Should I jump in at Gen or wait for XX?

tuffy

So I really want to get into Monster Hunter and I was told by a friend that "always start with the latest one."

Should I jump in at Gen or wait for XX?
Most of your stuff from Gen will transfer to Gen: Ultimate (or whatever they call it), so it should be safe to jump in and get a head start rather than wait for the expansion to be announced.

Menitta

Most of your stuff from Gen will transfer to Gen: Ultimate (or whatever they call it), so it should be safe to jump in and get a head start rather than wait for the expansion to be announced.

Oh I didn't know they transfer over. Excellent! I'll pick that up tonight then.

I really hope they call it Double Generations.

Kinsei

Banned
100+hrs into XX and I feel like this release has been a love letter to fans. They made it so easy this time around. You get loads of items for free just for starting the game (dl pack).

Money is plentiful, last boss drops eggs that sell for 30-100k a piece. The set it drops allows you to make your own armor set along with transmog so you can look however you want.

Definitely my favourite game in the series.

Even easier than Generations? That sounds awful.

Moondrop

Banned
I started playing again to prep for GenGen.

First I played the demo a bunch to pick a new weapon, but instead confirmed I'm a committed hammer bro.

Then a bit of fashion hunter to prep for transmogging.

And then I made a cheap set to prep for G rank: HGE & Evade+2 (2 Naja, 1 Tigrex, 2 Lagombi + hearing godcharm). I don't like the lack of defense on the Hayabusa feather.

But now I need a 1 slot weapon to gem out Health -10, and I need a shiny from Ukanlos/Agnaktor to upgrade it, and my HR is 58, oh god I think I'm getting sucked in again.

The life of a solo hunter is a melancholy one.

Been playing this again, and just on this page alone... these posts... it's hard not to chuckle about the whole XX thing. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

Anyone still playing? I think after I farm stuff offline, I'll finally want to do my HR7 Urgent to get it over with. These Duram Sacrums, though...

Khezu

The life of a solo hunter is a melancholy one.

Been playing this again, and just on this page alone... these posts... it's hard not to chuckle about the whole XX thing. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

Anyone still playing? I think after I farm stuff offline, I'll finally want to do my HR7 Urgent to get it over with. These Duram Sacrums, though...

I might start playing it again, but I never got far in Gen, never even went online with it.

Something about the game rubbed me the wrong way.

I might start playing it again, but I never got far in Gen, never even went online with it.

Something about the game rubbed me the wrong way.
Is that so? Interesting. How far did you get in Village? As much as I like Generations, Village is a drag, I feel. It's just not compelling until much later. That's what kinda made me go "hmm" while playing it. One step forward (Styles/Arts), two steps back (awful early game/monster order).

Khezu

Is that so? Interesting. How far did you get in Village? As much as I like Generations, Village is a drag, I feel. It's just not compelling until much later. That's what kinda made me go "hmm" while playing it. One step forward (Styles/Arts), two steps back (awful early game/monster order).

No, only around 4 stars.

I don't think I quite because I didn't like it, I think something else pulled me away and I never went back.

I wasn't a big fan of hunter arts and styles.

Will probably at least finish the offline parts.

Pejo

Jumped back into this last night with all the recent MonHun hype. It's like I never left (after a few warmup hunts).

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what the heck I was hunting or trying to make the last time I played.

What's the best all-around IG in Gen? Alatreon? I've been using the Vermilion Viper for the high raw damage plus poison, but I don't really care much for the look of it. Might make a blast one while I'm at it.

Khezu

Got into the grove again after a few fights.

With SA I remember liking Stryker style with Energy Charge and Demon Riot.

Aerial is fun, but I don't really like mounting.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I have a series of weird related questions - not sure if anyone will be able to answer, but here goes:

Playing MHX (Japanese 3DS), I understand my save is already compatible with XX.

1. Will this same save be compatible with the Switch version of XX?

2. Will XX Switch be multi-region/multi-language?
(I heard Switch is region-free, but not sure how language settings work.)

3. Basically I'm restricted to Japanese hardware, but want to play with friends outside Japan. Should I stick with X for now? Jump straight to XX? Wait for Switch XX? Or just twiddle my thumbs wait until MH World drops next year?

PKrockin

I have a series of weird related questions - not sure if anyone will be able to answer, but here goes:

Playing MHX (Japanese 3DS), I understand my save is already compatible with XX.

1. Will this same save be compatible with the Switch version of XX?

2. Will XX Switch be multi-region/multi-language?
(I heard Switch is region-free, but not sure how language settings work.)

3. Basically I'm restricted to Japanese hardware, but want to play with friends outside Japan. Should I stick with X for now? Jump straight to XX? Wait for Switch XX? Or just twiddle my thumbs wait until MH World drops next year?
1. You can transfer your X save to XX on Switch, yeah.

2. I dunno what you mean exactly?

3. Unless your friends outside Japan also have MHX rather than Generations, you won't be able to play with them with your copy of MHX. Cross-play isn't allowed between X and Gen probably because of contractual agreements with all the crossover DLC.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
1. You can transfer your X save to XX on Switch, yeah.

2. I dunno what you mean exactly?

3. Unless your friends outside Japan also have MHX rather than Generations, you won't be able to play with them with your copy of MHX. Cross-play isn't allowed between X and Gen probably because of contractual agreements with all the crossover DLC.

1. Thank you! That's actually enough incentive to get me playing X again :)

2. I thought I could convince my friends to get a JP 3DS/Switch if it meant they could still play in English. But it looks like there are no plans to localise XX right now :(

3. Makes sense. Thanks.

Looks like MH World will be the answer if I want to play with friends around the world. Really looking forward to that in light of recent info/footage. Will use X to fill that hole until 2018 :)

Ugh. I've tried soloing Hyper Seltas Queen about five times now, and she always, ALWAYS starts killing me past the 30-minute mark =/. I don't understand how this keeps happening. I'm about to end via subquest, but I'm getting really annoyed that my methodical tactics get undone by one dumb hit into stun.

Anyone want to help me right now? I need 5 Hyper S. Queen Shells

All right, just finished. It almost went south. I would have been pissed. Game's not been kind to me today, haha.

Made a hub.

11-9530-0060-2809

Password is 1212

I'll browse while I wait.

EDIT: Thanks for the help, guys <3

Khezu

Liking this more then the last time I tried.
I still won't miss Arts and Style when they're gone, but for a side game, it's kinda cool.

That said, the 3DS is killing me.
I can not wait for XX on switch. I don't care if I cant read anything.

If people are still playing I may jump back into this. There are a few DLC items I want to finish and I just enjoy helping out in general. May have time tonight. I'll check back later.

pronk420

When you go from e.g. X to XX do you keep your progress (quests cleared etc) or do you just keep your gear? I'm wondering whether it is worth it to go back to X before importing XX for Switch.

I'm assuming I won't be able to transfer from Generations to XX Switch since the transfer tool will only go up in the Japan eShop..

Roubjon

DDcQeQyXkAEeaWs.jpg:large

Time to slay some Khezu Whelps.

Planning on picking this up at some point this week.

Last one I played was 4U on 3DS.

Are the styles considered a fun addition?

I've looked at some guides on youtube and they seem pretty cool.

Top Bottom