• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

CPCunha

I'll be playing later and would love some help with stuff i need to do in the endgame... gather around hunters.

EDIT: Room up at 59-7173-1956-4573... will be doing Marshlands Nightmare and Descending Fog

EDIT2: Triumphant Rage and End of Trials room up now at 68-5821-3208-9499

PtM

Banned
You know what's funny? There's a JFY discount for this game. It expires on January 12th. Hey, when are they going to show some games for Switch again?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
At this point my Switch purchase hinges almost entirely on a MH game being announced on the 17th. If it comes to pass and all the rumors were false, my interest in the console falls dead silent.

hutna

Looking to unlock the R armor series. On the last quest against the three hyper tetsukabras. Anyone want to help a GAFer out?

Edit room closed. If my help came from here thank you!

andthebeatgoeson

At this point my Switch purchase hinges almost entirely on a MH game being announced on the 17th. If it comes to pass and all the rumors were false, my interest in the console falls dead silent.

That's amazing. Probably because I don't see a mainline MH not hitting a Nintendo portable within the next 2 years. Like, what would it take? Switch completely cratering in Japan, unforseen Sony re-entry into the market and selling PS2 numbers?

Switch getting Zelda at launch, maybe a Mario within the first 12-18 months (Zelda and 3D mario are not launching so close to each other)? Yeah, it's getting Monster Hunter, even if it's just the G version. Touch screen, better graphics?

Based Capcom, do it.

Shengar

It's too premature to hinge your purchase interest of Switch on MH on the 17th stream. MH Double X is slated for March release in Japan, and any announcement related to a Switch version will only lead to tremendous cut in sales.

Switch will get its MH since the series at this point is a portable title (as much of the game design revolved around easy and quick pick-and-play). We probably will get Switch version of MH Double X right away, but the existence of Japanese 3DS version makes both Capcom and Nintendo unable to say anything in regards of its existence.

MH4U was one of my favorite games of all time and I put well over 200 hours into it. I was biding my time with MHGen until I was ready to sink another 200+ hours and finally had the perfect excuse with winter break.

It's everything I loved about 4U and more! This is going to be one hell of a ride.

In 4U I mained DB. For MHGen I'm going with Aerial GS style for now, I really like how fast the power charge is for that style. Most of the recommendations out there seem to favor Guild style for GS but Aerial clicked with me so I am sticking with it for now. I don't like how the power charge takes so long to get to in Guild, whereas with Aerial I can get to the power charge quickly. Why does the community prefer Guild over Aerial for GS? Is Aerial bad for online, like launching other players or something like that?

Shengar

In 4U I mained DB. For MHGen I'm going with Aerial GS style for now, I really like how fast the power charge is for that style. Most of the recommendations out there seem to favor Guild style for GS but Aerial clicked with me so I am sticking with it for now. I don't like how the power charge takes so long to get to in Guild, whereas with Aerial I can get to the power charge quickly. Why does the community prefer Guild over Aerial for GS? Is Aerial bad for online, like launching other players or something like that?

It's probably because Aerial GS being inaccurate due to how its combat flow works. Meanwhile GS since its conception rely on landing hits unto the monsters weakness, not just merely spamming level 3 charges on Diablos wing.

Shengar

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do we cook meat? Or at least any food.

Bring raw meats and BBQ spit. Used the spit during a mission (preferably harvest tour) and pay closely to the meat as you need to time it correctly to received the best result (Well Done Steak). Later in the game, you can finish a series quest that enables you to place order for well done steak.

andthebeatgoeson

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do we cook meat? Or at least any food.
Either the portable grill or hit 4* in the village (bherna) and the rife roast opens up. It'll let you grill 10 steaks during a quest and you pick it up. You can't control how done they are but you mostly get well done steaks.

The portable grill requires you to watch it. When it turns color the second time, pull it off. I think it's right after the music finishes.

You could jump to 4* pretty quickly if you do just the key quests. Mhgen db, an app, will help with a lot of things, including the key quests.

NEO0MJ

Where do we find the portable grill? I think they gave it to you from the start in 3U so I was surprised when I didn't have it here.

duongsn

Where do we find the portable grill? I think they gave it to you from the start in 3U so I was surprised when I didn't have it here.

You can buy it at the Item Shop iirc.

I jumped back into this game a few days ago due to XX hype, decided to make a female character named Reanbell and main aerial LBG. I'm having a blast so far, but there is one thing I would like to ask.

For aerial bowgun, you can only achieve max damage if you shoot while being in midair, right? Because even at the supposed critical distance, when shooting while grounded I noticed that the on-hit effect looked kinda ...weak? There was only some small flash with a reddish color, instead of the bright yellow ones when I shot stuff from midair. I did some Googling but found no definitive answer for this. I already jump at every opportunity but just couldn't feel right until I get some kind of confirmation lol

PKrockin

IIRC the "Portable" BBQ Spit is a supply item you can get from the supply box in the tutorial quest to cook meat. Like the "Portable" Shock Trap and other supply items, it disappears when you finish the quest and return to town. The BBQ Spit you buy at the shop is yours to keep forever.

Personally I prefer Energy Drinks for restoring stamina.

You can buy it at the Item Shop iirc.

I jumped back into this game a few days ago due to XX hype, decided to make a female character named Reanbell and main aerial LBG. I'm having a blast so far, but there is one thing I would like to ask.

For aerial bowgun, you can only achieve max damage if you shoot while being in midair, right? Because even at the supposed critical distance, when shooting while grounded I noticed that the on-hit effect looked kinda ...weak? There was only some small flash with a reddish color, instead of the bright yellow ones when I shot stuff from midair. I did some Googling but found no definitive answer for this. I already jump at every opportunity but just couldn't feel right until I get some kind of confirmation lol
I can't say I've noticed any such thing playing aerial HBG.

duongsn

I first noticed that when using Pellet, the high number of hit makes the difference really obvious. Then I started to see it in other bullets as well :( In any case the screen still shakes, so I doubt that there is any actual difference, but... aerial HBG get new stuff like consecutive firing and auto reload from midair, but aerial LBG just does shit that it already did grounded? There must be something else right?

...Well there is the 2 shot combo (which is damn hard to aim) but it's nice to just be sure lol

NEO0MJ

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Another silly question, how do we deliver the items we gathered for a quest? Just got all the ferns and mushrooms and I have no idea what to do with them now.

Zarill

Neo Member
Damn these claws on that Mitsuzune! I already got the full set but I still need like 4 of them to get the weapons I want and everything seems to bounce off of it.

Sakujou

Banned
hey there, is someone later interested 10pm, germany playing some monster hunter?
we want to grind some monsters. we both are above rank 30. we might be in for some event quests.
search for neoGAF as the team name or hit me up on: 4725-8929-5832

PKrockin

Damn these claws on that Mitsuzune! I already got the full set but I still need like 4 of them to get the weapons I want and everything seems to bounce off of it.
I made a thunder LBG just for that purpose, but actually breaking them was such a pain in the ass I decided to kill them quickly and go for the 20% body carve chance instead.

Zarill

Neo Member
Yeah I crafted a decent Switch Axe but that hitbox is too damn small. I will go for the 20% dream and the loot from the Palicos.

CPCunha

Hello hunters!

Anyone up to doing some spandex hunts? The baki event will net you Arena Tickets and Heavy Spheres, and i need those badly! Join me at 06-4640-2141-1422

CPCunha

Can you people tell me what to look for visually when fishing for GASTRONOME FUCKING TUNA? What does it look like? I usually cycle the fish with goldenfish bait, i want to know what it looks like so i can get the elusive fucker.

Doombear

Ah, I wish I could remember exactly. I know that I usually found it in HR Dunes Gathering quest, map 4 I believe? I really am not certain, but I believe it is a silver/blue color and a larger fish. Good luck!

tuffy

Any good suggestions on a long range weapon? What do you prefer and why?
I generally recommend the light bowgun for people starting out because its mechanics are easy to learn, its mobility makes it easy to keep monsters within critical distance, and you don't need huge openings to take advantage of its rapid fire gimmick.

But in general, I prefer the light bowgun for elemental and status shots because rapid fire is very ammo-efficient. For physical shots I prefer the heavy bowgun because it's much easier to carry a lot of ammo combines for normal and pierce shots. Which to use depends on just how weak to elemental damage the monster is, or what I'm in the mood for.

I've also been picking up the bow which has the best mobility of the ranged weapons and one of the best Adept styles in the game. It's especially good for monsters that like to bounce all over the room. But between different charge levels, stamina management and coatings, I find it's the most complicated of the ranged weapons, mechanically, compared to the simple reload-aim-shoot loop of the bowguns.

grendelrt

Need some help on what dual blades to go with where I am at currently in the game. I am currently using Talon Carvers (http://mhgen.kiranico.com/dualblades/talon-carvers), I was working on upgrading them to level 2 then go Hidden Gemini, but wasn't sure if that was the right route to take. I currently have HR2 open online and village 4 open offline. I currently have the Ceanataur armor set with Razer Sharp and Critical Eye +2.

spiritfox

I would say bows are easier for blademasters to transistion into gunners, since their lower range makes their positioning similar to melee weapons. There is less worrying about ammo management too, plus adept bow in Gen is super powerful.

andthebeatgoeson

I generally recommend the light bowgun for people starting out because its mechanics are easy to learn, its mobility makes it easy to keep monsters within critical distance, and you don't need huge openings to take advantage of its rapid fire gimmick.

But in general, I prefer the light bowgun for elemental and status shots because rapid fire is very ammo-efficient. For physical shots I prefer the heavy bowgun because it's much easier to carry a lot of ammo combines for normal and pierce shots. Which to use depends on just how weak to elemental damage the monster is, or what I'm in the mood for.

I've also been picking up the bow which has the best mobility of the ranged weapons and one of the best Adept styles in the game. It's especially good for monsters that like to bounce all over the room. But between different charge levels, stamina management and coatings, I find it's the most complicated of the ranged weapons, mechanically, compared to the simple reload-aim-shoot loop of the bowguns.

I would say bows are easier for blademasters to transistion into gunners, since their lower range makes their positioning similar to melee weapons. There is less worrying about ammo management too, plus adept bow in Gen is super powerful.
Thank you.

andthebeatgoeson

Need some help on what dual blades to go with where I am at currently in the game. I am currently using Talon Carvers (http://mhgen.kiranico.com/dualblades/talon-carvers), I was working on upgrading them to level 2 then go Hidden Gemini, but wasn't sure if that was the right route to take. I currently have HR2 open online and village 4 open offline. I currently have the Ceanataur armor set with Razer Sharp and Critical Eye +2.
I would say with dual blades, the final forms have good power but you'll probably make some great elemental db as end game weapons. I would try not to focus on which is the right path and if you decide to make other weapons, it's not that hard.

I just finished making every type of end game elemental db and even poison and it wasn't that tough.

grendelrt

I would say with dual blades, the final forms have good power but you'll probably make some great elemental db as end game weapons. I would try not to focus on which is the right path and if you decide to make other weapons, it's not that hard.

I just finished making every type of end game elemental db and even poison and it wasn't that tough.

Yeah i figured one weapon for each element down the line when I get further in, just wasnt sure which way to go with my options right now as a general kill everything weapon :O

andthebeatgoeson

Yeah i figured one weapon for each element down the line when I get further in, just wasnt sure which way to go with my options right now as a general kill everything weapon :O
Charred slicers for decent all around db that will do you good at the end but that takes hell blade parts and you probably want to hold on him until you make the jump to hr with decent armor.

For now, just upgrading what you have and focusing on the best place to hit will take you far. I usually check out the monster before hand on an app and find out which parts are vulnerable (usually the head).

Cerium

https://twitter.com/SocksyBear/status/819485352566132737

kPqnrYR.png

Monster Hunter community manager for Capcom UK

ACE 1991

So how do I kill the Gendrome? After a while into the fight my sword stops inflicting damage (sparks fly when I hit the monster). I'm sure there is some mechanic I'm missing here.

Fistwell

So how do I kill the Gendrome? After a while into the fight my sword stops inflicting damage (sparks fly when I hit the monster). I'm sure there is some mechanic I'm missing here.
Hit it till it dies. Think you might have sharpness issues.

So how bout that switch monhan eh?
q.q

Murkas

Your weapon sharpness is falling, resharpen your weapon with whetstones.

I've only just been playing this game these past few weeks because I was too burnt out after spending hundreds of hours on MH4U and this came out a year after it so I didn't really get into this game during its release.

Having so much fun, been rocking the GS (my favourite weapon, been using it for nearly every MH) for the most part but these past few days I switched to DS Aerial style with Wolf's Maw (love this move!) and it's so fun. Made the Hellblade and Mizu DS's, but they aint max level yet.

Armour wise I've got Grimclaw Tiggy for my GS and was relieved to hear the armour only needs to be lvl 6 for the skills to activate (originally thought it had to be lvl 10! But still kinda grindy but I'll still do it). Just saw the skills that deviant Naruga gives so I'm going to be aiming for that for my DS.

I'm around 50+ hours at like HR 30 and I still haven't even got to Ukanlos/Akantor etc, so quite a bit content in this game despite not being the G version.

Might fanny around with adept style later as I hear that's really fun.

Doopliss

I've only just been playing this game these past few weeks because I was too burnt out after spending hundreds of hours on MH4U and this came out a year after it so I didn't really get into this game during its release.

Having so much fun, been rocking the GS (my favourite weapon, been using it for nearly every MH) for the most part but these past few days I switched to DS Aerial style with Wolf's Maw (love this move!) and it's so fun. Made the Hellblade and Mizu DS's, but they aint max level yet.

Armour wise I've got Grimclaw Tiggy for my GS and was relieved to hear the armour only needs to be lvl 6 for the skills to activate (originally thought it had to be lvl 10! But still kinda grindy but I'll still do it). Just saw the skills that deviant Naruga gives so I'm going to be aiming for that for my DS.

I'm around 50+ hours at like HR 30 and I still haven't even got to Ukanlos/Akantor etc, so quite a bit content in this game despite not being the G version.

Might fanny around with adept style later as I hear that's really fun.
I wouldn't bother with deviant armour sets. Getting my Hellblade Glavenus set to level 10 made me burn out on the game without even fighting half the other deviant monsters. I don't think aiming for level 6 is a good goal either, because at that point you'll have armour that you spent ages grinding for but which has weaker defense than other sets that are far easier to obtain.

Adept is very fun for both Great Sword and Dual Blades. Maybe not as effective in the former's case, as it's hard to get an opening in which to do the follow up attack safely, but that super fast strong-charge feels so satisfying when you can pull it off.

NEO0MJ

I'm so ashamed as I lost to the great Macao in the first urgent mission :(
Should I craft a weapon? I've been using the initial ones and the damage seems low.

Beats

Should I craft a weapon? I've been using the initial ones and the damage seems low.

Crafting a stronger weapon can help but the initial weapons are good enough for that mission. What did you have trouble with when fighting it?

grendelrt

Don't forget to go to the cat chef in town and have him. Make you a meal before setting out on a quest.

NEO0MJ

Crafting a stronger weapon can help but the initial weapons are good enough for that mission. What did you have trouble with when fighting it?

I just can't seem to hurt it much. I've burned through like all my whetstone and herbs and it was still standing.

Fistwell

I just can't seem to hurt it much. I've burned through like all my whetstone and herbs and it was still standing.
Initial weapons are good enough, but barely imo, and even then, only if you really know what you're doing. I remember getting annoyed at the lack of sharpness myself (not that I'm any good at the game, but I do know what I'm doing a little). Go craft more stuff, it's part of the fun and it'll make your life easier. Good luck!

andthebeatgoeson

Potions? Mega potions? Hopefully, you mean mega potions. If not, buy some potions and combine them at the chest with honey to make a mega potion. That's more powerful. You can go on a harvest tour to find more herbs, blue mushrooms and honey. And early on, i gather, while I'm hunting, to help build up your chest box.

He's a fast one so a lot of hit and run. Chase after me makes his move, a couple of hits and run. Hit him in the face to exhaust him.

What weapon are you using?

Top Bottom