• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

upandaway

I've been using guns a lot more than lances lately. Mostly with the Astalos HBG with normal/pierce.

Adept gunning is SO much fun. And it basically trivializes a lot of otherwise deadly attacks so I can't see it returning in MH5

Dreavus

Is it commonly accepted that the Plesioth is just kind of a bad/poorly designed fight?

It's like all the worst aspects of a Gendrome, except amplified by the fact that it swims around in non-traversable water so you just kind of wait for it to jump back out. I was lucky enough to be playing IG so at least I could plink at him with the kinsect. Even the quest giver remarks on his shoulder charge! I brought some frogs but couldn't figure out how to fish him out.

Fainted once but otherwise took him out. This guy must be a call back to an older game or something because he just seems awkwardly designed compared to the other monsters.

Is it commonly accepted that the Plesioth is just kind of a bad/poorly designed fight?

It's like all the worst aspects of a Gendrome, except amplified by the fact that it swims around in non-traversable water so you just kind of wait for it to jump back out. I was lucky enough to be playing IG so at least I could plink at him with the kinsect. Even the quest giver remarks on his shoulder charge! I brought some frogs but couldn't figure out how to fish him out.

Fainted once but otherwise took him out. This guy must be a call back to an older game or something because he just seems awkwardly designed compared to the other monsters.

You're better off using guns for some monsters.

Tarps

You don't even know man, you weren't there...

Back in the day plessys broken ass hipcheck killed many, hitboxes be dammed.

I haven't fought plessy in Generations yet, but so far the monsters returning from that gen have not aged well. They might have improved the broken hitboxes, but the animations look really dated now.

Syril

He was actually kind of fun in 3 Ultimate when you could chase him into the water.

taybul

He was the bane of every hunter back in the day. His hip check had a notoriously unforgiving hitbox in the past.

J0dy77

Saw this on sale for $25 at Best Buy and Amazon again. Someone push me over the ledge. I've been hooked on previous versions on PSP. How easy is it to get into MP? I really want to do it all if I buy this time around. How active is the GAF community?

tuffy

Saw this on sale for $25 at Best Buy and Amazon again. Someone push me over the ledge. I've been hooked on previous versions on PSP. How easy is it to get into MP? I really want to do it all if I buy this time around. How active is the GAF community?
Getting into the multiplayer side is as easy as can be; you could hop on right from the start if you really wanted to. The GAF community seems semi-active and will lend a hand if needed (schedules permitting), but I suspect a lot of people have run out of new gear to make and quests to finish so it's a little quiet right now.

andthebeatgoeson

It's worth it but this thread seems less active. You'll find randoms online, at any time.

It's a great game with some great new features. I wouldn't be focused on evasion skills without adept style

Syril

Holy shit, what were they thinking with the deviant equipment? The deviant monsters are all really hard, but their equipment all starts off really weak in relation to the monsters because they decided they should all have ten levels to upgrade through. Like, I'm hunting Silverwinds now, and if I tried to fight it wearing its own armor it'd be suicidal, which is absurd. The weapons at least have a unique bonus in that they charge hunter arts faster, but the armor doesn't even have slots, and the Soul skills that make their skill assortments really stand out are locked until level 6.

Steiner

Banned
Pulled the trigger today. I've been wanting to get into MH for sooo long. I haven't had a game satisfy my loot and upgrade craving since Diablo 2, and I hope this can fill the void. I cut my teeth a bit in the demo, and get the basics, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not pretty intimidated by the learning curve after looking through a bit of this thread.

I want to play this game with other people, but I don't want to be the terrible noob in every group. Think I'll be okay hopping online and learning as I go? Any way to communicate with your fellow hunters?

Syril

Pulled the trigger today. I've been wanting to get into MH for sooo long. I haven't had a game satisfy my loot and upgrade craving since Diablo 2, and I hope this can fill the void. I cut my teeth a bit in the demo, and get the basics, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not pretty intimidated by the learning curve after looking through a bit of this thread.

I want to play this game with other people, but I don't want to be the terrible noob in every group. Think I'll be okay hopping online and learning as I go? Any way to communicate with your fellow hunters?

I wouldn't recommend trying to learn as you play online if you're talking about extreme basics, since other players will likely be going straight for the objective, but you don't necessarily have to play all the starting quests before then either. In my opinion if you can get through the training mission for a weapon where you fight the Great Maccao in the arena and feel like you have a decent grasp on things, then you're ready. Important note, don't neglect gathering from the environment. The materials you get from from it are components in fundamental items and are used for creating equipment alongside monster parts.

In the lobby you can free chat, but during hunts you can only use macros that you can edit.

Steiner

Banned
I wouldn't recommend trying to learn as you play online if you're talking about extreme basics, since other players will likely be going straight for the objective, but you don't necessarily have to play all the starting quests before then either. In my opinion if you can get through the training mission for a weapon where you fight the Great Maccao in the arena and feel like you have a decent grasp on things, then you're ready. Important note, don't neglect gathering from the environment. The materials you get from from it are components in fundamental items and are used for creating equipment alongside monster parts.

In the lobby you can free chat, but during hunts you can only use macros that you can edit.
Awesome, thanks for the response. I tried a few weapons and really like the insect glaive. It seems to have some nice quick combos and decent power as well. No idea what the right trigger projectile is doing, so I need to read up!

I did some basic quests, got my first felyne companion, and am feeling more confident.

Syril

Awesome, thanks for the response. I tried a few weapons and really like the insect glaive. It seems to have some nice quick combos and decent power as well. No idea what the right trigger projectile is doing, so I need to read up!

I did some basic quests, got my first felyne companion, and am feeling more confident.
It shoots a pheromone that the kinsect will try to home in on if you stick it onto a monster. You can also press R during a combo to apply it at close range by bashing the monster with the other end of your glaive. The cloud it leaves behind matches the color the kinsect will harvest if it hits that spot.

andthebeatgoeson

Enjoy the first quests. They seem basic but will cover one specific thing. Gathering. Transporting. Capturing.

Check out Gaijin Hunter on youtube for more hints.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT84SVapAfSSD_iMfpKbFbA

And research will help because of the depth of the game. So, checking out videos and reading a few articles will make things make sense. Not a great way to get info from people online but this thread will help. The thread is so huge, don't worry about asking questions. There's no way you can keep up and it's probably been covered but don't worry. Soon, you'll feel really good about the game.

Have fun!

Steiner

Banned
Thanks dudes. I already have Monster Hunter fever. I keep thinking about how many quests I can knock out as soon as I get done with work. My wife and I need a car right now, and we're going to look at one as soon as I get off today, and that thought is giving me anxiety.

"I'll only have 4 hours to play Monster Hunter tonight before I need to go to bed."

This is how it begins.

Seriously though, the Insect Glaive seems really interesting. Kind of neat that you upgrade the staff and the Kinsect separately, and the staff can be a blunt weapon or a cutting weapon. Pretty interesting. How often do you guys switch weapons? Does it depend on which monster you're going to hunt? It just seems like it takes SO much time to get the resources you need to craft / upgrade a specific weapon, does starting with a different type feel like taking 50 steps back, or is that new grind part of the joy of the game?

tuffy

Seriously though, the Insect Glaive seems really interesting. Kind of neat that you upgrade the staff and the Kinsect separately, and the staff can be a blunt weapon or a cutting weapon. Pretty interesting. How often do you guys switch weapons? Does it depend on which monster you're going to hunt? It just seems like it takes SO much time to get the resources you need to craft / upgrade a specific weapon, does starting with a different type feel like taking 50 steps back, or is that new grind part of the joy of the game?
I'll switch up weapons on a per-hunt basis depending on what I think works best, and I use saved armor sets to bounce between them. Like Kushala Daora's very weak to thunder damage, so I'll bring out a thunder LBG to take him down. But Zinogre's horn takes a ton of shot damage, so I'll prefer a normal shot HBG in that case. For those big multi-monster chain hunts (the Neapolitan ice cream of hunts) I'll go with what seems best against the hardest monster of the bunch. It takes awhile to forge all those weapons and good armor sets to take advantage of them, but that's just part of the fun.

I don't learn whole new weapon types nearly as often, though. For instance, I've been branching out into the bow on occasion, but I still need a lot more practice with it since my bowgun clear times are still significantly faster in a lot of cases.

Syril

The cutting/blunt distinction is actually for the kinsect, the glaive itself is always cutting.

A lot of the time I change weapons depending on the monster, though I also like stepping out of my comfort zone with a matchup i'm not usually good with. It's actually not as much of a grind as it might seem to keep multiple weapon types, since as you go on, you can usually make something from scratch relatively close to your current power level. Not to say it isn't something, but nothing helps stave off the repetition of fighting the same monster repeatedly like using a different weapon each time, and with the style system in this game, you can get some variety even with the same weapon.

Steiner

Banned
Are the cats super helpful and important? Like should I get a second one right away so they can begin leveling? Is there a certain DLC felyne that's regarded as very useful?

Syril

Are the cats super helpful and important? Like should I get a second one right away so they can begin leveling? Is there a certain DLC felyne that's regarded as very useful?
Having a second palico with you can almost never hurt. At worst, they're still an occasional distraction for the monster, and at best, a well-timed heal or trap from them can be a lifesaver. They're also needed for a variety of non-hunting functions that they improve at with their level and depending on their bias, so it's good to have an assortment. They can also be really fun to play as Prowlers with very different strengths and weaknesses compared to your Hunter.

The main thing that distinguishes the DLC felynes is that they all have a unique passive skill that can't appear on felynes that you scout normally. But since you can have felynes teach moves and skills to each other, you can really use their unique skills on anyone. Some of the unique skills are more on the thematic side like Samus' Morph Bomb, which improves the small bombs you drop during the Explosive Roll move, and some can be gamechanging, like Nekojiro's World's Strongest, which gives huge stat boosts for fighting without armor.

Steiner

Banned
Having a second palico with you can almost never hurt. At worst, they're still an occasional distraction for the monster, and at best, a well-timed heal or trap from them can be a lifesaver. They're also needed for a variety of non-hunting functions that they improve at with their level and depending on their bias, so it's good to have an assortment. They can also be really fun to play as Prowlers with very different strengths and weaknesses compared to your Hunter.

The main thing that distinguishes the DLC felynes is that they all have a unique passive skill that can't appear on felynes that you scout normally. But since you can have felynes teach moves and skills to each other, you can really use their unique skills on anyone. Some of the unique skills are more on the thematic side like Samus' Morph Bomb, which improves the small bombs you drop during the Explosive Roll move, and some can be gamechanging, like Nekojiro's World's Strongest, which gives huge stat boosts for fighting without armor.

I have... SO much to learn.

PKrockin

Thanks dudes. I already have Monster Hunter fever. I keep thinking about how many quests I can knock out as soon as I get done with work. My wife and I need a car right now, and we're going to look at one as soon as I get off today, and that thought is giving me anxiety.

"I'll only have 4 hours to play Monster Hunter tonight before I need to go to bed."

This is how it begins.

I switch weapons quite a lot. It's what makes the series still fun to play after hundreds and hundreds of hours. It can take quite a lot of time to get certain materials but it also can take quite a lot of practice for me to get good enough at a certain weapon to take it to the hardest quests. Farming a certain monster or helping newbies is much more fun when you can simultaneously work on mastering a new weapon/style.

Steiner

Banned
If anyone wants to add me to their friends list, my friend code is:
4141 - 2565 - 6092

I'm also down for any kind of multiplayer. I own but have never played TriForce Heroes because I don't really have friends who play 3DS. I'm also down to Swapdoodle!

As far as MHG goes, I just got to the point where I'm traveling between villages, and I've fashioned some Bone armor for myself to get the Maestro skill, as I've taken a recent liking to the hunting horn. I have a Bone horn right now, but there's an upgrade I want that I need to hunt a particular monster for. Can't wait to snag it.

It may take me a few days to get around to accepting your request. I'm on vacation and staying in a hotel, and I have no idea how to get my 3DS connected to the resort WiFi. It's one of those things where you have to sign in via a browser and put in your room number and name before you get access. Anyone ever work around that with a 3DS? Sorry for the rambles - brevity isn't a strength of mine.

andthebeatgoeson

Rocking the toca armor. It has -10 fire and dragon.

This is different than before where you could add a fire res jewel to drop it below -10? It's not working for me.

Syril

This is different than before where you could add a fire res jewel to drop it below -10? It's not working for me.
You're thinking of cases where the armor gives you a fire res skill of -10 or below, resulting in getting the Fire Weakness skill. In those cases you could just add a jewel to take the fire res skill back above the threshold. In this case the armor just has -10 fire and dragon as part of its stats.

PKrockin

Nice, I've been wearing Toka as well. Both stylish and strong skills.

You're thinking of cases where the armor gives you a fire res skill of -10 or below, resulting in getting the Fire Weakness skill. In those cases you could just add a jewel to take the fire res skill back above the threshold. In this case the armor just has -10 fire and dragon as part of its stats.

I think you can eat for fire res or dragon res to negate that.
Yep it's as these guys say. If the armor gave you negative points to a Fire Resist or Dragon Resist armor skill you could negate it with gems but instead the armor naturally/directly/whatever gives you -10 to fire and dragon.

PtM

Banned
Yep it's as these guys say. If the armor gave you negative points to a Fire Resist or Dragon Resist armor skill you could negate it with gems but instead the armor naturally/directly/whatever gives you -10 to fire and dragon.
But Felyne skills negate it anyway? What a confusing mess.

PKrockin

But Felyne skills negate it anyway? What a confusing mess.
There is no felyne kitchen skill (Firestarter, Defender, Polisher, etc.) to increase your elemental resistances in this game I believe. The guaranteed boost from eating the dish (Fire Res. L, Attack L, etc.) is your only option now if you want to offset a bad resistance by eating.

It is a confusing mess.

ACE 1991

First real crack at Monster Hunter, I think I've my new obsession!

Question: how do I unlock harvesting tours? I only habe the one for dunes and Jurassic frontier, and I want to unlock for disc stone farming in verdant hills.

CTLance

Just keep playing through "story quests" you get from the people with speech bubbles. When you beat the designated "endbosses" of a respective Village quest tier, you can access more harvest tours and other locations.

Top Bottom