• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

NEO0MJ

Initial weapons are good enough, but barely imo, and even then, only if you really know what you're doing. I remember getting annoyed at the lack of sharpness myself (not that I'm any good at the game, but I do know what I'm doing a little). Go craft more stuff, it's part of the fun and it'll make your life easier. Good luck!

Went with your suggestion and crafted an iron katana. Not having to resharpen after every 5 hits helped a lot and I beat it without fainting once.

Potions? Mega potions? Hopefully, you mean mega potions. If not, buy some potions and combine them at the chest with honey to make a mega potion. That's more powerful. You can go on a harvest tour to find more herbs, blue mushrooms and honey. And early on, i gather, while I'm hunting, to help build up your chest box.

I was using plain herbs, not even potions '>.>

But I did go into the items menus more heavily and crafted plenty of stuff that helped me during the fight such as potions, flash bombs, and poisoned meat.

Do nutrients (the item that increases total health) last forever or are they only temporary?

Fistwell

Went with your suggestion and crafted an iron katana. Not having to resharpen after every 5 hits helped a lot and I beat it without fainting once.

I was using plain herbs, not even potions '>.>

But I did go into the items menus more heavily and crafted plenty of stuff that helped me during the fight such as potions, flash bombs, and poisoned meat.

Do nutrients (the item that increases total health) last forever or are they only temporary?
Till you cart. You can get similar effects from food, or other items (off the top of my head, max potions and ancient potions or something). You can also get the same effect from the health armor skill, of ian's fame. The skill's effect remains after you cart, but it's a waste of a skill since food and items are enough to have your health covered. I think most people eat for health, and bring max potions as cart insurance (to make sure you get your 150 health bar back if you do cart).

In any case, congrats on bagging that fleabag! Enjoy the game!

Murkas

I wouldn't bother with deviant armour sets. Getting my Hellblade Glavenus set to level 10 made me burn out on the game without even fighting half the other deviant monsters. I don't think aiming for level 6 is a good goal either, because at that point you'll have armour that you spent ages grinding for but which has weaker defense than other sets that are far easier to obtain.

Adept is very fun for both Great Sword and Dual Blades. Maybe not as effective in the former's case, as it's hard to get an opening in which to do the follow up attack safely, but that super fast strong-charge feels so satisfying when you can pull it off.

Yeah it is grindy but fortunately I'm playing with a friend so still having fun, and I'm more of a skills>defence kinda guy so again I probably won't mind (I'll still probably make the easier sets anyway).

I've gone adept with hammers and I'm having even more fun, so satisfying getting a moving super pound on a monster! I'll see what adept GS is like because it sounds similar to hammers.

Now these hyper claw+ drops on the other hand, killed like 5 different 7* hyper monsters and they just won't drop, I only need 2 for my Mizu DB :(

tuffy

Are there any benefits to a matching armor set other than a unified look?
A whole set of matching armor pieces is guaranteed to activate one or more skills, some of which may be useful. This is especially useful for sets from Deviant monsters late in the game which have skills that are difficult to activate any other way. But many players prefer to mix-and-match pieces in order to activate a set of skills that would be impossible to get from a matching armor set.

NEO0MJ

I see, thanks. Still in two star missions and don't have enough raw materials to complete a set other than the Jaggi one.

spiritfox

I see, thanks. Still in two star missions and don't have enough raw materials to complete a set other than the Jaggi one.

Skills are more important than defense. It's better to make and wear sets if you're a beginner since the skill system might be a little confusing, and you can upgrade your armor's defense if you feel like you're dying too easily. If you want a rundown on how skills work just ask.

NEO0MJ

Skills are more important than defense. It's better to make and wear sets if you're a beginner since the skill system might be a little confusing, and you can upgrade your armor's defense if you feel like you're dying too easily. If you want a rundown on how skills work just ask.

I'm not dying much now thanks to getting something other than the starter weapon and armor but I'd love an explanation of how skills work.

spiritfox

I'm not dying much now thanks to getting something other than the starter weapon and armor but I'd love an explanation of how skills work.

Most armor items give positive and negative points towards a number of skills, and when the total points hit at least +10 or -10, you'll activate a skill (positive or negative). Some skills can be further improved (or worsened!) with additional points. Here is the list of skills in MHGen. You can increase or decrease the number of points in a skill you have using decorations, which are forged at the blacksmith and slotted into armors with available slots (the circles you see next to the armor name in your equipment overview).

Most veteran players mix and match armor parts to maximize the number and potency of useful skills like Attack Up, Critical Eye, Handicraft if you're a Blademaster, etc. But to begin with, it's easier to stick with sets since they come with the required number of points to activate some skills. A common mistake of new players is to mix their armor without looking at the skill points, thus hunting without any skills which makes things harder. But to help you, here's a common mixed armor set for Low Rank that is very powerful.
Gaijinhunter is a great resource for new hunters.

NEO0MJ

Most armor items give positive and negative points towards a number of skills, and when the total points hit at least +10 or -10, you'll activate a skill (positive or negative). Some skills can be further improved (or worsened!) with additional points. Here is the list of skills in MHGen. You can increase or decrease the number of points in a skill you have using decorations, which are forged at the blacksmith and slotted into armors with available slots (the circles you see next to the armor name in your equipment overview).

Most veteran players mix and match armor parts to maximize the number and potency of useful skills like Attack Up, Critical Eye, Handicraft if you're a Blademaster, etc. But to begin with, it's easier to stick with sets since they come with the required number of points to activate some skills. A common mistake of new players is to mix their armor without looking at the skill points, thus hunting without any skills which makes things harder. But to help you, here's a common mixed armor set for Low Rank that is very powerful.
Gaijinhunter is a great resource for new hunters.

32396397771_f4d07060f6_o.jpg

I checked it before but only to get info on the weapons.

andthebeatgoeson

Now, early on, it may be easier to get a matching set. I always remember lr sets requiring less parts from different monsters. You may have to grind the same monster but it seemed less likely you would have to grind 4 different monsters.

Fake edit: just plugging in mhgen db, jaggi armor lr requires jaggi and jaggia parts, easy things to farm for. My end game bow armor will require 4 monsters, including some monsters i hate fighting like furious rajang.

The jaggi set will give you attack s and put you close to critical eye+1. That's decent skills to have on lr.

Murkas

I wouldn't bother with deviant armour sets. Getting my Hellblade Glavenus set to level 10 made me burn out on the game without even fighting half the other deviant monsters. I don't think aiming for level 6 is a good goal either, because at that point you'll have armour that you spent ages grinding for but which has weaker defense than other sets that are far easier to obtain.

Adept is very fun for both Great Sword and Dual Blades. Maybe not as effective in the former's case, as it's hard to get an opening in which to do the follow up attack safely, but that super fast strong-charge feels so satisfying when you can pull it off.

Yeah it is grindy but fortunately I'm playing with a friend so still having fun, and I'm more of a skills>defence kinda guy so again I probably won't mind (I'll still probably make the easier sets anyway).

I've gone adept with hammers and I'm having even more fun, so satisfying getting a moving super pound on a monster! I'll see what adept GS is like because it sounds similar to hammers.

Now these hyper claw+ drops on the other hand, killed like 5 different 7* hyper monsters and they just won't drop, I only need 2 for my Mizu DB :(

..........Yeah I've given up on hunting for deviant armour, just sticking to the weapons lol. So much better armour that's easier to make.

These arena quests are gonna kill me, want that Barrage Earing.

Shengar

Farming deviants wouldn't be so boring and grindy if they hadn't used that theme for all of the monsters. It had me grating that when I realized I almost forgot Glavenus theme despite I feel like beating it dozens of time.

MHXX going to have the rest of Elite Four deviants at the ready, but I don't want all of their theme replaced by an otherwise excellent-but-get-boring-after-thousands-of-times track that shared by other 10 monsters.

andthebeatgoeson

..........Yeah I've given up on hunting for deviant armour, just sticking to the weapons lol. So much better armour that's easier to make.

These arena quests are gonna kill me, want that Barrage Earing.
I'm doing the same. Did i play with you yesterday? Haha

Luckily, i found a few arena rooms and only have two to go.

CPCunha

In need of pro tips.

Hunting Horn hunter here... what is best overall, AuL or Crit. Eye 3 + Weakness Exploit?

I know the combo peaks at a higher damage but the AuL applies to every hit...

Shengar

In need of pro tips.

Hunting Horn hunter here... what is best overall, AuL or Crit. Eye 3 + Weakness Exploit?

I know the combo peaks at a higher damage but the AuL applies to every hit...

Crit Eye 3+Weakness Exploit seems redundant considering Weakness Exploit mechanic back to MHFU version where it increases your affinity instead of part damage modifier. If you want to go full crit, better to mix armor that gives your Critical Eye or Weakness Exploit then Critical Boost. Affinity got massive buff in MHGen due to Critical Boost as it massively increase critical modifier from 1.25 to 1.4, and increase that easily make low raw weapon like Nargacuga SnS, Flash in the Night, do 252 raw damage on a critical hit. Even when it's chance based unlike AuL that's more consistent, the sheer amount of damage increase outweigh affinity chance based inconsistency.

Luckily for Hunting Horn, its Nargacuga weapon have very high affinity (40%) and very good song list for offensive support. If you want to go full affinity damage, Cry in the Night is a must use weapon.

Novocaine

So now that I have a 3DS again I'm looking to give this series another crack but a real one this time.

Is it worth me waiting until XX drops in the west or will I be able to import play data from this game into XX to get an early start?

Murkas

So now that I have a 3DS again I'm looking to give this series another crack but a real one this time.

Is it worth me waiting until XX drops in the west or will I be able to import play data from this game into XX to get an early start?

You're always able to transfer saves when the G/Ultimate version drops, here are the specifics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORi9sVlXeRA

Also finally got the Barrage Earrings.

Pila

I'm out of the loop, what do we know about XX coming to the West? Is it happening? Body is ready etc etc...

I played Generations way too little :( wanna focus on that until Zelda hits.

Novocaine

Okay done my time with Zelda and bought this.

Any quick tips for a beginner?

I have played most of the MH clones on Vita. Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden were my favorite ones if that helps any.

Pila

Try not getting hit, it's better playing safe.

Have a meal before every hunt, you can buff your health/stamina on top of other stuff.

There are free DLC with useful stuff, download like there's no tomorrow.

In-game tutorials for every weapon are available.

Aevanko is great, check out his channel on youtube.

Novocaine

Try not getting hit, it's better playing safe.

Have a meal before every hunt, you can buff your health/stamina on top of other stuff.

There are free DLC with useful stuff, download like there's no tomorrow.

In-game tutorials for every weapon are available.

Aevanko is great, check out his channel on youtube.

Thanks

There's a ton of DLC. I was holding off because I didn't want to overwhelm myself but I'll go grab it.

I've decided on using the hammer for now. I usually go for the biggest strongest weapon but the bigger sword seems way to slow, at least while the game mechanics are still fresh.

A quick question. I did a quest and my maximum stamina depleted over the mission. Is there a way to slow stop or replenish that?

PtM

Banned
Thanks

There's a ton of DLC. I was holding off because I didn't want to overwhelm myself but I'll go grab it.

I've decided on using the hammer for now. I usually go for the biggest strongest weapon but the bigger sword seems way to slow, at least while the game mechanics are still fresh.

A quick question. I did a quest and my maximum stamina depleted over the mission. Is there a way to slow stop or replenish that?
Eating grilled meat.

Doopliss

Thanks

Every quest will have some rations in the supply box which you can eat to extend the stamina bar by a small amount. Also one of the first quests shows you how to cook a steak. If you time it so it's 'well-done', eating it will greatly extend the stamina bar.

I'll also echo that you should watch some weapon tutorials. They'll give you a far greater understanding of how to effectively use each weapon than the game itself does. I mean, the game even skips over really basic stuff like evading after you do a big attack to recover control more quickly (especially important for the hammer and great sword).

Novocaine

Roger on the meat.

Ah that Aevenko guy is someone I've actually heard of but by Gaijinhunter. He was on a podcast and seemed pretty damn serious about MH. I'll check some stuff out.

Pila

Hammer, sweet <3 it's designed to stun monsters, try hitting them in the head.

Yeah he's that guy, watching his tutorial before trying out a new weapon is always a good idea.

My students wont stop talking about this game and with a new one dropping soon I want to at least TRY to get into this a bit. The having no real set up or story always kinda turned me off and never gave me a hook to the world but I want to give this at least a real attempt.

Would you guys recommend this one for a beginner or would MH3 on Wii/U be ok as well? (I can get the wii one for $5 and Wii U for about $15)

PtM

Banned
My students wont stop talking about this game and with a new one dropping soon I want to at least TRY to get into this a bit. The having no real set up or story always kinda turned me off and never gave me a hook to the world but I want to give this at least a real attempt.

Would you guys recommend this one for a beginner or would MH3 on Wii/U be ok as well? (I can get the wii one for $5 and Wii U for about $15)
The MH series has been growing from Spartan to be more beginner friendly. MH3U is not that bad in that regard, but neither very good. Also, a lot of people can't deal with the underwater combat. Wii doesn't have online anymore and WiiU probably not for more than another year. Also of note, you cannot tackle the (hefty) online portion on Wii offline, but there is a solo mode for it beginning with the WiiU game.

spiritfox

I think MH4U is a better starting point than Gen. It has a pretty solid storyline and eases you into the game better.

upandaway

I think MH4U is a better starting point than Gen. It has a pretty solid storyline and eases you into the game better.
Yeah 4U is definitely the best starting point on all levels (especially if the lack of story was what turned you off), but between 3U and X I'd say 3U is the more beginner friendly one

andthebeatgoeson

I think gen is better. The fighting styles will open up the game and some weapons for you. I remember sticking to one weapon because it wouldn't click within a few tries. I think you can experiment more and the community is still active.

Progressing thru generations can be tougher but i think fighting styles are here to stay.

I can't say what the community is like in mh3u.

CPCunha

i keep hearing conflicting answers so i'm gonna turn to GAF for guidance.
Theoretical situation to illustrate my question.

I have a 250 raw dmg hammer and a 200 raw + 50 dragon hammer.
I'm hitting a head with 25 dragon weakness.
What gives me the most dmg? Is the calculation the same for elemental? (if i switch all "dragon" above to fire).

Thanks in advance.

Doopliss

i keep hearing conflicting answers so i'm gonna turn to GAF for guidance.
Theoretical situation to illustrate my question.

I have a 250 raw dmg hammer and a 200 raw + 50 dragon hammer.
I'm hitting a head with 25 dragon weakness.
What gives me the most dmg? Is the calculation the same for elemental? (if i switch all "dragon" above to fire).

Thanks in advance.

There are more factors involved: the vulnerability of a monster's head to blunt damage, the strength (a.k.a. 'motion value') of the attack you're using, the sharpness of the weapon. Affinity would also need to be considered if you have any if that, as would any attack buffs from skills, food, consumables and power talons/charms.

CPCunha

There are more factors involved: the vulnerability of a monster's head to blunt damage, the strength (a.k.a. 'motion value') of the attack you're using, the sharpness of the weapon. Affinity would also need to be considered if you have any if that, as would any attack buffs from skills, food, consumables and power talons/charms.

Just think of it as "all other factors involved are exactly the same"... the only difference being the dmg on the weapon used.

Doopliss

Just think of it as "all other factors involved are exactly the same"... the only difference being the dmg on the weapon used.

I'm saying the answer will change depending on the specific value of those other factors. If you're using a strong attack it'll favour the physical damage weapon, if the monster's head is strong against blunt it'll favour the elemental weapon. Positive affinity favours physical, negative affinity favours elemental.

Example 1:

25% dragon weakness, 65% blunt weakness, white sharpness (1.32 physical, 1.125 elemental modifier), using level 3 charged super-pound (76 motion value)

I'll just compare the difference between the two weapons you mentioned, which is 50 physical vs 50 dragon attack, and assume no affinity for simplicity.

elemental damage = attack * weakness% * sharpness modifier

50 * 0.25 * 1.12 = 14 damage

physical damage = attack * motion value% * weakness% * sharpness modifier

50 * 0.76 * 0.65 * 1.32 = 32 damage

Example 2:

25% dragon weakness, 45% blunt weakness, green sharpness (1.05 physical, 1.0 elemental modifier), using level 2 charged uppercut (40 motion value)

elemental damage = attack * weakness% * sharpness modifier

50 * 0.25 * 1.0 = 12 damage

physical damage = attack * motion value% * weakness% * sharpness modifier

50 * 0.40 * 0.45 * 1.05 = 9 damage

So the physical damage is stronger than elemental in the first example but weaker in the second. If you want to plug in your own numbers you can find motion values and sharpness modifiers on Google and part weaknesses on Kiranico.

NEO0MJ

Going back to the game again I decided to take on that mission with the Bulfango and a mystery monster. Didn't expect it to be Mizutsune. Needless to say I wasn't ready, especially when both were in the same location. Guess I need to switch my main weapon.

NEO0MJ

So all those cover monsters actually appear in 3 star missions, though you don't have to beat them.
Any tips regarding good armor at this stage?

Doopliss

So all those cover monsters actually appear in 3 star missions, though you don't have to beat them.
Any tips regarding good armor at this stage?
At low-rank I tend to focus on the Attack skill. The skill points are common so you can find pieces for each slot that are easy to make and the fact that it's scalable (depending on whether you have +10, +15 or +20) gives you flexibility to swap in higher defense pieces if you need to. In the early game it's a significant boost to your damage dealing.

I recommend not spending too long farming low-rank armour because once you reach high-rank (assuming you plan to go online) it all becomes outclassed pretty much straight away and will just get replaced. Weapons on the other hand are upgradeable to their stronger forms.

Top Bottom