• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Dak'kon

What are popos? They look like wooly cows to me.

You must have some freaking swole cows where you live!

They look like mammoths without trunks to me:

Mammoth
ozhSK9yl.jpg

Popo
LUlnkXc.png

Cow
OuPVXKs.jpg

Sane_Man

I'm really confused. None of the 5* village key quests are showing up for me. I've gone through and done the first few quests in order but they're still not showing. Anyone know what I have to do?

Kinsei

Banned
I'm really confused. None of the 5* village key quests are showing up for me. I've gone through and done the first few quests in order but they're still not showing. Anyone know what I have to do?

You mean the Astalos, Gammoth, and Mizutsune quests? You need to finish all of the 2* and 3* village elder quests.

ChrisD

Man, my Astalos was super troll in his 3Star quest. His paint wore off and I didn't notice until then he limped off. My first action was, of course, to go to the nest. He wasn't there. I spent seven minutes going in circles before he finally showed up again. Carrying the eggs back after killing him wasn't even annoying at that point.

I've carried Psychoserum with me in every quest since.

Juraash

The first few ranks of village in this game are a fucking slog. Tons of gathering quests and a large amount of junk monsters. The most exciting thing I've fought was the Tetsucabra, and we've rounded things out with the like of Daimyo and Khezu. I keep waiting for the game to pick things up but I can barely even bring myself to slog through another gathering quest or killing some lame ass drome.

This is the first time in a MH game where it's felt like a chore to keep going. I'm fairly certain it'll get better if I can stick with it, but my god I'm not having fun with this one yet.

Beats

The first few ranks of village in this game are a fucking slog. Tons of gathering quests and a large amount of junk monsters. The most exciting thing I've fought was the Tetsucabra, and we've rounded things out with the like of Daimyo and Khezu. I keep waiting for the game to pick things up but I can barely even bring myself to slog through another gathering quest or killing some lame ass drome.

This is the first time in a MH game where it's felt like a chore to keep going. I'm fairly certain it'll get better if I can stick with it, but my god I'm not having fun with this one yet.

Yeah, the beginning can be pretty slow. I ended up just doing the key quests and skipping a bulk of the gathering quests.

Mammoth's set looks amazing, but it's USELESS.

I dunno.. Polar Hunter is a pretty good skill. It's basically Attack Up L and Defense Up L if you're in a cold area and drink a cold drink.

ohlawd

thanks Tuffy for help with those crappy small monsters and gathering quests earlier. 50 Bnabaras went by really fast after all

second dude too. dude helped me deal with a bunch of large monsters and didn't say a single word. you do you lol

thanks Tuffy for help with those crappy small monsters and gathering quests earlier. 50 Bnabaras went by really fast after all

second dude too. dude helped me deal with a bunch of large monsters and didn't say a single word. you do you lol

The Oh Yeah pose is all I need. It was fun hunting with you.^^

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know where the egg/powderstone type item is in the volcano? Trying to do the volcano accounting mission without mining a million ores.

redcrayon

Just skip them? Look up the key quests and do those, you can always go back and mop up the weak quests in moments later on if you're a completionist.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

This is me - focusing on the key quests only from now on to move it forward - the beginning is SLOW.

To me it certainly doesn't seem to have the polish or deliberate progression of MH4U.

Do you unlock new food stuffs online or do you still need to finish single player? Made it to 5 star village quests and wanted to start playing online guild quests.

What are the best sets to use as a horn user? And now that people have played longer what are the best styles? Having a hard time using adept well because I feel like the only time I get a dodge advantage is when I'm being charged which leads to me not being able to counter because it's some distance behind or to the side of me.

Man, sometimes randoms are cool. Just had 2 hour Snowbaron farming sesh and I went from Lvl 1 Snowbaron armor to Lvl 4. Can't wait to get that compound skill.

Awesome you still on? Post the room, I can play for a bit as well!

Nvm saw the room!

Hmm it's hard to explain in just words. The weapon is usually quick charged unsheath attacks or an unsheath (to slap) and roll away. Especially if the monster is angry. When it's getting exhausted or you knock it down is when you do the hyper charge and deal insane damage.

The gist is attack and sheath the weapon again so you can run around the monster while it attacks and get to the side. Usually monsters will either turn at slow speeds to target somebody after the attack and you can get a nice level 2 or 3 charge during that instance and they're pretty strong so after 2 or 3 the monster will get knocked down. Slaps are great to diminish the monster's stamina.

But if it's not going well you might use another weapon and when you hop online try to notice how GS players work. I'm sure there's good YouTube videos of GS hunters around.

Okay, I think reading your post again about emphasizing the sheath attack really made it come together for me. Thank you!

The Great Sword is really fun to use, and I like that I'm using something that's been core to the series since the beginning. Hammer will always be #1 for me, though. :)

Just poking around, what are some of the better glaives to be shooting for in this game? Mind you i'm still doing village stuff so i'll probably won't be making any till I get back to playing online and in HR.

What are the best sets to use as a horn user? And now that people have played longer what are the best styles? Having a hard time using adept well because I feel like the only time I get a dodge advantage is when I'm being charged which leads to me not being able to counter because it's some distance behind or to the side of me.
I use Aerial style and love it. The only downside is the one Hunter Art. HH doesn't have too many class-specific Arts that are useful alone. For me, anyway. I find myself barely using the Arts (but I'm still experimenting 60 hours in).

Aerial style is super important to me as a player, but it's probably not "the best." I can see stuff like Guild/Striker with Arisen Phoenix and Euphony being really strong, though.

I'm currently still wearing my Malfestio armor. I love Malfestio and wanted his armor set, and thankfully it has Tenderizer, which is great for my playstyle. I crafted Decorations for Maestro. That's non-negotiable for me. If I can't have it (armors not having enough slots, etc.), I won't bother. I have a Talisman with +4 in Maestro, so that helps. I miss my +10 Mastro Talisman from MH4G :(.

Can you not see what quests people are playing before joining a match now?
You can before joining the lobby. Hit R, iirc.

Hey guys! So i'm trying to push through low rank/village now but i'm getting impatient and want ot start doing group hunts. Are there any good HR2 online monsters i can farm to tear village down faster? I want the obsidian weapons(seems strong enough to do the job) but commendation monsters are HR. Any gear recommendations?

edit: I'm sing tetsu right now and i'm switching between sns/switch axe/hammer and longsword

I wanted to make some deviant armor(most notably that lagombi deviant) till I realized how ridiculous it is

To even get deviant armor you need at least five tickets (not to mention the parts from the monster). So at the very least you'll have to fight the monster 3 times since you get 1-2 tickets per hunt

But when you want to level up/upgrade your armor it requires ANOTHER five tickets and some monster materials so you have to fight the monster at least 3 times again

When all is said and done, to get fully upgraded armor you have to fight the monster at least 30 times

Can't believe someone thought this was a good idea

The Fated Four is the final village quest right? That was incredibly easy.

Lightcrystals are dumb.

Ive tried mining, Ive tried farming Gypceros, but nothing works :(
Do the Gypceros hunt a thon quest (Village 5). Kill just two of them, and don't forget to break its head.

You will probably get at least 1 lightcrystal (carve, break and reward chance).

I wanted to make some deviant armor(most notably that lagombi deviant) till I realized how ridiculous it is

To even get deviant armor you need at least five tickets (not to mention the parts from the monster). So at the very least you'll have to fight the monster 3 times since you get 1-2 tickets per hunt

But when you want to level up/upgrade your armor it requires ANOTHER five tickets and some monster materials so you have to fight the monster at least 3 times again

When all is said and done, to get fully upgraded armor you have to fight the monster at least 30 times

Still better than lvl 140 guild quests.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Try doing it with pubs, I had to kill 58 silverwind narga to max out the armor

Ideally it would take you less than 30 though because the later levels of the questline drop tickets from the earlier levels as extra drops

Do the Gypceros hunt a thon quest (Village 5). Kill just two of them, and don't forget to break its head.

Yeah, thats what Ive been doing. Ive just been really unlucky, haha.

I just got one from the first one, then the second one stole it from me, hahaha... :'(

Kinsei

Banned

That's not the final village quest. There are actually four final village quests, one for Generations and three from past games.

The final quests are

The Field's a Stage:
High rank Mizusune, Gammoth, Astalos, and Glavenus

Wrath of Rath:
Gold and Silver in the arena at the same time.

The Golden Pair:
Dual Rajang in the arena. If you don't kill the first one within 10 minutes then you have to fight both at once.

Out of the Fry Pan:
Deviljho, Tigerx, and Nargacuga in the arena. Once you beat Deviljho the other two spawn together.

JP_

Banned
Yeah, thats what Ive been doing. Ive just been really unlucky, haha.

I just got one from the first one, then the second one stole it from me, hahaha... :'(

Have you tried just doing the marshlands tour? I'd usually get a few (areas 3, 7). Be the cat for unlimited mining. Also keep an eye out for them in the cannon minigame.

Top Bottom