• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Mupod

Why did nobody tell me how easy to make and ridiculously good the high rank rathalos gunner set is?

Seriously, doesn't even need 1 ruby for the set. Attack Up, Tenderizer, and you can wear the blademaster hat for some extra defense. Not going to wear it forever but I just more than doubled my defense.

Also picked up LBG - never cared much for it before but I was always a 'limiter off' HBG users so it's not a huge adjustment to my playstyle. Running Adept because that full reload skill is amazing. So far all I've done is bully Ceanataurs and Khezus but this Rathling Gun seems very good at that. Once my water gun is up and running (and I bother getting to HR6) I'll pay Glavenus a visit for a real blademaster set.

spiritfox

Why did nobody tell me how easy to make and ridiculously good the high rank rathalos gunner set is?

Seriously, doesn't even need 1 ruby for the set. Attack Up, Tenderizer, and you can wear the blademaster hat for some extra defense. Not going to wear it forever but I just more than doubled my defense.

Also picked up LBG - never cared much for it before but I was always a 'limiter off' HBG users so it's not a huge adjustment to my playstyle. Running Adept because that full reload skill is amazing. So far all I've done is bully Ceanataurs and Khezus but this Rathling Gun seems very good at that. Once my water gun is up and running (and I bother getting to HR6) I'll pay Glavenus a visit for a real blademaster set.

I've been wearing the LR rath set through much of HR cause the skills are so good.

Also Bulldrome are the worst. Shitty monster, shitty design.

Pejo

Gold Member
So does the Glavenus armor bonus for increased attack after sharpening work with the Seregios sharpening by dodging? That could be stupid OP if so.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So much affinity

k8wFSqs.jpg

So does the Glavenus armor bonus for increased attack after sharpening work with the Seregios sharpening by dodging? That could be stupid OP if so.
I think the detailed explanation of the skill implies that a Whetstone is needed to get the bonus.

Pejo

Gold Member
I think the detailed explanation of the skill implies that a Whetstone is needed to get the bonus.

Yea you're right, the in-game description says whetstone. Might try it vs. some small monsters to test anyways though, i'm already 4/5 pieces of the set.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Without going through the entire thread, I've been meaning to ask a question. I've been poking around in the game for a while now and I have to say I really enjoy Prowler. I always wanted to be a non-human player character in Monster Hunter. After doing some research, the top Prowler builds for online are usually Pierce Boomerang for DPS and straight up Healing builds. I'm interested in going full Boomerang Prowler and leaving the Hunter on the bench!

I also notice a bad stigma against Prowlers, at least according to gamefaqs that they are frequently kicked from groups just for using Prowlers. Are Prowlers viable in online play? I don't even plan on doing much online outside of friends or possibly GAF rooms, so I'd hope they were viable for solo as well. Worst case scenario they are great for gathering runs.

Is it worth upgrading my SnS to the Narga one (Hidden Edge), or should I just keep going the Petrified route?

I'm not quite there yet myself but from what I've read, Hidden Edge is quite good. Besides, you can always just buy another Petrified Sword and upgrade it separately if you want both. The materials for it don't seem particularly hard to come by.

orkanamn

Banned
Here's my fc 1993-9276-1823 for some drop-in gaming :b pm me yours if you add me.
Currently on 3* but only urgent left I think.

Without going through the entire thread, I've been meaning to ask a question. I've been poking around in the game for a while now and I have to say I really enjoy Prowler. I always wanted to be a non-human player character in Monster Hunter. After doing some research, the top Prowler builds for online are usually Pierce Boomerang for DPS and straight up Healing builds. I'm interested in going full Boomerang Prowler and leaving the Hunter on the bench!

I also notice a bad stigma against Prowlers, at least according to gamefaqs that they are frequently kicked from groups just for using Prowlers. Are Prowlers viable in online play? I don't even plan on doing much online outside of friends or possibly GAF rooms, so I'd hope they were viable for solo as well. Worst case scenario they are great for gathering runs.
Boomerang Prowlers are just as good as Hunters. Prowlers even have better kill times than a few weapons iirc (GL, HH etc)

As long as you're prowler is the recommended one you shouldnt be kick. I've personally never seen someone play prowler and get kicked though

Astral

When is the earliest I can get a kickass bow? And is it worth it to use multiple weapons or is it too much work to upgrade them all?

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Boomerang Prowlers are just as good as Hunters. Prowlers even have better kill times than a few weapons iirc (GL, HH etc)

As long as you're prowler is the recommended one you shouldnt be kick. I've personally never seen someone play prowler and get kicked though

Yep, I intended to have my Prowler be Boomerang build. Might keep a healy Palico on the side incase the need arises for support. This'll be fun!

Have you tried just doing the marshlands tour? I'd usually get a few (areas 3, 7). Be the cat for unlimited mining. Also keep an eye out for them in the cannon minigame.

Yeah, that was the firs thing I tried, but it wasnt working out, so I swapped to killing stuff, heh.

I actually ended up killing another one in that one where I had it stolen, then just finishing the quest kind of out of anger, haha. But I ended up getting 3 in the mission complete screen. So YAY!

Finally got my helmet for my Astalos set.

I just started digging into this game today. I was all about the insect glaive in MH4G. This time I'm messing around with the light bow gun? Thoughts or tips? Worth diving into as a weapon? I like it so far, though the move set is much simpler.

orkanamn

Banned
Lol couldn't wait to see if play-asia sells it cheaper than nippon-yasan! I've ordered the hunting gear!
My wrists are starting to hurt so it's needed. :b

Open spots for 3-4 key quests
11-0080-7701-1968

Juraash

Lol couldn't wait to see if play-asia sells it cheaper than nippon-yasan! I've ordered the hunting gear!
My wrists are starting to hurt so it's needed. :b

Open spots for 3-4 key quests
11-0080-7701-1968

Play Asia has their orders open now, 40 USD. N-Y has that shit at Amazon marketplace (aka, too much imo) prices as of this post.

redcrayon

I've had a great time playing alongside prowlers, the mix of support abilities plus certainty that they aren't going to cart all the time makes them great allies for a melee hunter like me.

I wouldn't want to hunt alongside people who kick other players for just not liking their build, if it was my room I'd kick anyone moaning just for being an arsehole. The only two times I've kicked anyone not for being a dick in the text log (in hundreds of hours of online play) is

A) when I've had someone clearly carried this far, under equipped and hunting way above their level who carted six times in a row. After trying to help them with their kit and tactics for an hour, giving them items to the point where they were begging everyone for more consumables all the time as they clearly didn't know how to make even basic ones despite being in high rank, and suggesting they practice a little, they got abusive about it and started carting on purpose.
B) cowardice for similar reasons, sitting in camp while others fight the battle. A friend and I had such a player when fighting Aleatron in Tri, where it led to the two of us fighting for 40 minutes to bring it down before this joker turned up for the carves. We just stopped him getting any of them and kicked him afterwards.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I've had a great time playing alongside prowlers, the mix of support abilities plus certainty that they aren't going to cart all the time makes them great allies for a melee hunter like me.

I wouldn't want to hunt alongside people who kick other players for just not liking their build, if it was my room I'd kick anyone moaning just for being an arsehole. The only two times I've kicked anyone not for being a dick in the text log (in hundreds of hours of online play) is

A) when I've had someone clearly carried this far, under equipped and hunting way above their level who carted six times in a row. After trying to help them with their kit and tactics for an hour, giving them items to the point where they were begging everyone for more consumables all the time as they clearly didn't know how to make even basic ones despite being in high rank, and suggesting they practice a little, they got abusive about it and started carting on purpose.
B) cowardice for similar reasons, sitting in camp while others fight the battle. A friend and I had such a player when fighting Aleatron in Tri, where it led to the two of us fighting for 40 minutes to bring it down before this joker turned up for the carves. We just stopped him getting any of them and kicked him afterwards.

I see. I'm glad there's plenty of folks that don't have that kind of attitude. But believe me, even though I'm absolutely committed to 100% Prowler play, I plan on trying to be top DPS if I can help it!

ChrisD

I seem to have slipped into Guild Style and can't make myself switch into other stuff. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Kinda' wish you could switch Styles/Arts at the Item Box, I usually just don't want to go out of the way to swap up.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't looked into Prowler builds at all yet, this is really helpful, thanks.

I'm planning on getting the game soon-ish and this is very helpful - thank you!

You're both quite welcome. It's a good bookmark for anyone wanting some decent palicos, prowlers besides.

I should note that when scouting Palicos, you basically have to hope the RNGods are in your favor. You can either specify your search for Palicos as either Looks or Bias, not both sadly. So if you want a Prowler with a specific look you'll be waiting a while for one of good stats to pop up, but if you don't care about that or your Palico's looks you can have better chances of finding good stats in scouted Palicos for hire.

redcrayon

Ran into my old pal Lagi this morning, who taught me a lesson in respect for his lightning abilities when enraged! My palicoes and I were forced to retreat an area just to regroup, heal, sharpen, eat a nulberry at one point. Great scrap though and one of my favourite monster designs.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/1...-make-life-easier-monster-hunter-generations/

This seems like a great guide for a pure Prowler/Palico setup. Boomerang Prowler to bring the pain, a trap based Palico and a healing based Palico. Let's do this!
This guide lacks a stealing cat (all "Gathering" types have Plunderang). Someone earlier said 2 of them give a lot of monster materials, including rare ones. I wish I had known this when doing Village since it is much more valuable to me than very occasional heals/traps.

So I've been taking two Gathering Palicos with Plunderang and Pilfer Boost since around 2* Village and they are insane! Here's a list of what they stole for me yesterday:

1x Rathalos Plate (on second hunt)
1x Astalos Plate (first hunt)
1x Mizutsune Plate (first hunt)
2x Glavenus Plate (first hunt)
1x Gore Plate (first hunt)

The Gore I just fought this morning. They're both level 20 (don't know if that has an effect) and I'm going to continue to bring them to every Village hunt as I haven't even needed to grind monsters with their steals + Meownster Hunter after every quest for basic mats.

Cerity

I fought Najarala upwards of 50 times in MH4U and tbh I still have no idea what is going on in that fight. I can avoid the obvious stuff (scales and soundblasts) but the rest of the time I might as well be playing the game blind.

cheesekao

This guide lacks a stealing cat (all "Gathering" types have Plunderang). Someone earlier said 2 of them give a lot of monster materials, including rare ones. I wish I had known this when doing Village since it is much more valuable to me than very occasional heals/traps.
You don't need a guide for a stealing cat because all you need to is equip pilfer boost on a gathering cat.

Niwa

When do I get more Gun Lance Special Skills? ;( I've got like Lv 3 of every other weapon skill but not for my gun lance ghrhfht

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just looking for a couple of quick responses. Do you switch 3D on in this game?

I usually have it on, but only around have way. Makes the textures look a bit less blurry. Putting it stronger tires my eyes in this game for some reason though.

Mupod

Gathering/stealing is the only reason I bring cats at all, same with the shakalakas in 3U. More than a few times I'll be pissed off at missing the 1 common material I ran a monster for, only for that glorious furry bastard to pull through.

Looking a little deeper into LBG - Adept is the way to go 100%, right? Aerial gunner sounds like a fun way to screw around and a great way to get killed against anything that actually does damage. LBG arts all look bad except the 'all reload' one, and that's only good at level 3.

I plan on sticking with HBG for my real weapon but for some reason they made evade extender extremely hard to get in this game. So I need something that can operate without it until I find a god charm. Best charm I've found so far was a 3 slot normal up+5 - normal up is also a skill that used to be very easy to get and for some reason they made it Handicraft tier in MHGen. I guess somebody finally woke up to how insane HBG is.

Just looking for a couple of quick responses. Do you switch 3D on in this game?

I don't really use 3D in any game anymore. If I didn't occasionally turn it on by accident I'd probably forget it exists.

Mupod

Are hyper monsters different from deviants?

I feel like I only just barely understand the deviant monster system. So I need to kill EACH level of monster 3-4 times to get enough tickets for a full set? If I want both Silverwind sets that's a lot of Narga...

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
for some reason they made evade extender extremely hard to get in this game.
Try the narga sets? My progression has been starting armor > narga low rank set > narga high rank set > silverwind narga set > found an evade dist +6 OOO charm so I've been using extended evade pretty much the entire game so far

I feel like I only just barely understand the deviant monster system. So I need to kill EACH level of monster 3-4 times to get enough tickets for a full set? If I want both Silverwind sets that's a lot of Narga...
The best way to farm deviant tickets is to go from the top down because higher levels will drop lower level tickets as bonus rewards. So run once through from level 1-10 then just farm from level 10 until you get enough level 10 tickets, then level 9 until you get enough level 9 tickets etc. until you get back down to level 1 again.

Fistwell

Looking a little deeper into LBG - Adept is the way to go 100%, right? Aerial gunner sounds like a fun way to screw around and a great way to get killed against anything that actually does damage.
I've only been using adept, it's a lot of fun. The dash is great to reposition yourself.

So hyper monsters can't be exhausted right?
Dunno, haven't fought a single one yet. How bad are they?

Yeah they're different. As for tickets, eventually you get 3+ tickets/hunt. I've only fought nargaX twice and got 5 X tickets. I fought VIII once and got 7 VIII tickets.

Iryx

Hyper Monsters are like Frenzied/apex monsters from 4, deviants are like a subspecies.

From what I've seen with the deviants, you get 2 tickets per hunt, so 3 hunts on each level (30 hunts total) gets you enough to fully upgrade the armor set and one weapon. That's not including possible rare drops though, just the minimum tickets. So yeah, if you want both Silverwind sets that's 50 hunts for the armor.

Mupod

Try the narga sets? My progression has been starting armor > narga low rank set > narga high rank set > silverwind narga set > found an evade dist +6 OOO charm so I've been using extended evade pretty much the entire game so far

I am almost at 6* (just need to clear urgents) and until just now I've been wearing LR narga armor since it was available. I've been nearly one shotted a few times but my only cart was to Dreadqueen (didn't expect that extra tail swipe).

I used the charm cheese farming extensively but my luck has been awful for evade dist, my best is an unslotted +6. Meanwhile I have some +10 single element damage, +something other skill, 3 slot charms. So the game is pushing me toward LBG.

But yeah my plan was to get HR narga but I fell into that 'swallowed the spider to catch the fly' endless cycle I tend to get into in MH. "Okay, I want to farm Narga efficiently, so I need this, but to get that I need X weapon and set, and to get that..." Then I end up making a bunch of weapons and sets and meanwhile I haven't even remembered to go fight HR Narga yet. But that's fine, no need to rush - it'll be a while until the next MH.

My other problem with the higher end Narga sets is the evade+2 on them is wasted when I'm running Adept. But Adept is too good. I've been toying with the idea of running Striker with both buff arts and absolute readiness (or frenzy virus+antiviral skill). But I've gotten a lot of mileage from the ability to roll in and out of siege mode.

tuffy

The fortunate thing about Nargacuga S is that the leggings and cap/helm have 7 points of Evade Dist between them and a slot each, so that's a potential 9 points in two pieces of armor. It shouldn't be too hard to mix in something useful with the remaining pieces of armor and a good charm. That's my plan, anyway.

That's not the final village quest. There are actually four final village quests, one for Generations and three from past games.

The final quests are

The Field's a Stage:
High rank Mizusune, Gammoth, Astalos, and Glavenus

Wrath of Rath:
Gold and Silver in the arena at the same time.

The Golden Pair:
Dual Rajang in the arena. If you don't kill the first one within 10 minutes then you have to fight both at once.

Out of the Fry Pan:
Deviljho, Tigerx, and Nargacuga in the arena. Once you beat Deviljho the other two spawn together.
Not going to read the spoilers but good to know.

Top Bottom