• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Mupod

That's not the final village quest. There are actually four final village quests, one for Generations and three from past games.

The final quests are

The Field's a Stage:
High rank Mizusune, Gammoth, Astalos, and Glavenus

Wrath of Rath:
Gold and Silver in the arena at the same time.

The Golden Pair:
Dual Rajang in the arena. If you don't kill the first one within 10 minutes then you have to fight both at once.

Out of the Fry Pan:
Deviljho, Tigerx, and Nargacuga in the arena. Once you beat Deviljho the other two spawn together.

The middle two were called
Descendants of the King
and
Final Invitation
in MHFU. Clearing those solo were still imo the toughest accomplishments I've ever done in MH. Curious how they are now, with all these new abilities and myself much more experienced.

So much affinity

k8wFSqs.jpg
Holy shit how is that even possible?

Shengar

That's not the final village quest. There are actually four final village quests, one for Generations and three from past games.

The final quests are

The Field's a Stage:
High rank Mizusune, Gammoth, Astalos, and Glavenus

Wrath of Rath:
Gold and Silver in the arena at the same time.

The Golden Pair:
Dual Rajang in the arena. If you don't kill the first one within 10 minutes then you have to fight both at once.

Out of the Fry Pan:
Deviljho, Tigerx, and Nargacuga in the arena. Once you beat Deviljho the other two spawn together.

this is crazy

Mupod

The antiviral skill makes it 30 affinity right? I was planning on using that with the hunter art just for fun. But from what I'm hearing there's other armor skills more worth your time, like Glavenus' grinder skill which apparently gives a huge attack bonus to bowguns. I saw it in use in some JP speedrun videos and was like why the fuck is he sharpening his bowgun!?

Hybris

The armor and weapon give 50% affinity outright, overcoming the Frenzy virus gives another temporary boost, and the Antivirus skill could boost it further if one has a good charm to fit it in.

Using SA, so the energy reload art gives affinity also.

jorgejjvr

guys so are these devians and hypermonsters actually a challenge?

At over 450 defense, and over 200 attack with IG, I feel I am pretty good and so far nothing is a challenge. What is the best way to keep getting new deviant monsters (how to get more from the palico trader)? I hear beating the same monsters multiple times they get stronger?

As far as the hyper monsters, are those with triangles shinning around a monster?

I'm ready to get my butt kicked if possible xD

What's the requirement(s) for unlocking hyper monster quests? I'm able to hunt them now, but want to know how I unlocked them in the first place.

Also do cat quests increase the level cap?

Shengar

What's the requirement(s) for unlocking hyper monster quests? I'm able to hunt them now, but want to know how I unlocked them in the first place.

Also do cat quests increase the level cap?

Their level cap are determined by your HR (level 50 is available once you unlock your HR).

Is there anything specific I should be shooting for with Prowler Mode? I've been using it for gathering quests so far, which is fine, but I'm wondering if there's a longer arc I'm missing.

Is there anything specific I should be shooting for with Prowler Mode? I've been using it for gathering quests so far, which is fine, but I'm wondering if there's a longer arc I'm missing.

Second this question. Also are palicos basically for tanking and gathering when I'm doing solo hunts?

Mupod

guys so are these devians and hypermonsters actually a challenge?

At over 450 defense, and over 200 attack with IG, I feel I am pretty good and so far nothing is a challenge. What is the best way to keep getting new deviant monsters (how to get more from the palico trader)? I hear beating the same monsters multiple times they get stronger?

As far as the hyper monsters, are those with triangles shinning around a monster?

I'm ready to get my butt kicked if possible xD

I was honestly starting to avoid playing online because owning the shit out of a monster with 4 people in 30 seconds isn't fun. I know GAF means well but there's just been no challenge whatsoever in regular quests. I try to goof off a bit with cat mode but even then, shit dies so fast.

Deviants seem to be the solution, at least for now. They have a lot of hp and have way more interesting movesets than subspecies have in the past. Really impressed so far and looking forward to fighting more of them.

demonkaze

Just reached HR4 online and I'm a Lance main. What are some good lances to aim for and an armour set to aim for?
Also, what does everyone recommend for skills, I'm Striker and use Corkscrew, Enraged Guard and absolute evasion.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Prowler with two palicos. Love it, it's my own little cat posse. Also hilarious when you run into a group of Melynx out in the wild. Cat gang war commence! Nyan Andreas!

ngower

Finally completed the BuJaBuJaBu set. Gonna try to burn through the L2 key quests at some point today. Finally feeling like I'm not a complete and total newb. Still drowning in info but the MH claws are hooking me in.

Can someone explain the basics of weapon unlocks to me? Is it like armor in that I unlock the ability to forge certain sets by beating certain monsters, or do I upgrade existing weapons and that unlocks more weapons for me to forge?

tuffy

Finally completed the BuJaBuJaBu set. Gonna try to burn through the L2 key quests at some point today. Finally feeling like I'm not a complete and total newb. Still drowning in info but the MH claws are hooking me in.

Can someone explain the basics of weapon unlocks to me? Is it like armor in that I unlock the ability to forge certain sets by beating certain monsters, or do I upgrade existing weapons and that unlocks more weapons for me to forge?
Armor involves crafting a piece from materials and that's pretty much the end of it. You can upgrade its defense (with Armor Spheres to start with), but its skill points, slots and elemental resistances will be fixed.

Weapons can be upgraded to new weapons (sometimes just a higher level of your current weapon) using materials such as monster parts and their stats will improve. Some weapons can be forged from scratch, others can only be made my upgrading them from other weapons, and some can even be made using both methods.

Weapon upgrade branches are unlocked as you level up a weapon. When building weapons from scratch, you unlock them by obtaining materials to make them. So once you pick up a Seregios Talon, for example, you'll see the recipe for the Seregios hammer in the armory. You don't need all of the parts, just at least one important part.

Mupod

Prowler with two palicos. Love it, it's my own little cat posse. Also hilarious when you run into a group of Melynx out in the wild. Cat gang war commence! Nyan Andreas!

I wonder how annoying the constant cat noises are to someone who isn't completely desensitized to them like me.

Small but important distinction - armor pieces unlock based on finding a certain part. So if it seems like you're missing the option to make, I dunno, Ceanataur gloves, you might not have found a pincer yet. (I have no idea if that's the case, just a classic example) It's usually pretty logical. Like you need to find a Yian Garuga Ear before you can make a helmet with big Garuga ears sticking out of it.

Generations' weapon upgrade system is actually different from the previous games but it's a bit more straightforward. Tuffy went over the gist of it, I use Kiranico when I get really curious about an upgrade path. General rule - if you can see the option to make a weapon but don't have all the parts needed, there's usually a way to craft a weaker weapon and upgrade into the one you want. This almost always requires fewer rare parts.

I'm attempting to upgrade my silverwind nargacuga quest, but no one is joining my lobby. If you're willing to help, the lobby is 02-1432-6459-3879.

If you want to do yours as well, I'm good with running multiple times.

burgerdog

Been doing guild quests with a friend and I have to say that so far it has been really easy with just the two of us. We hit HR last night so hopefully that is more of a challenge. I'm used to G rank so I think I'm going to be let down by the difficulty. All in all, though, still having a ton of fun.

Vuze

I'm attempting to upgrade my silverwind nargacuga quest, but no one is joining my lobby. If you're willing to help, the lobby is 02-1432-6459-3879.

If you want to do yours as well, I'm good with running multiple times.
I will hop in if your room is still up. Might have to go afk for a few minutes at some point jfyi

E: nvm, room is apparently down

Poking around Village 5 and only Guild 2. Will kick it to 3 tonight as I was just popping online and helping knock off whatever quests people post then head back out to village to advance there. Loving Gunlance in this game, almost exclusively, and mostly wide/striker. Been avoiding my old fave Greatsword so as not to break my GL groove, but an occassional adept/hbg happens.

Mupod

Been doing guild quests with a friend and I have to say that so far it has been really easy with just the two of us. We hit HR last night so hopefully that is more of a challenge. I'm used to G rank so I think I'm going to be let down by the difficulty. All in all, though, still having a ton of fun.

A duo is definitely the way to go for guild quests. 4 man groups chew through monsters so fast that it's simply not fun. LR has also always been 'goof around with an unfamiliar weapon' time for me, HR is when I start using my real weapons.

Also I really hope the next game has some kind of proper dynamic scaling. Tri was always tuned for 4 players and felt right with 4, but if someone dropped or you wanted to solo it got tedious. But even that is preferable to this game's LR/HR where everything eats shit in 2 minutes if you have 4 competent people.

Deviants though, as I mentioned earlier, are different. Maybe I'm just playing them with undergeared folks but they feel like monster hunter should. Can't speak for Hyper monsters yet.

Beats

Anyone want to help me with this Triple Hyper Tetsucabra quest? I tried to solo it, but most of my good ammo ends up gone before I can finish the second one.

40-9053-4444-4414
Pass is 1234

edit: done!

Vuze

I'm doing some Hellblade Glavenus leveling (starting at 1) if sb wants to join
31-9632-2253-4318

this will be fun
certainly

E: full

Juraash

So I haven't posted in this thread much and what I have has been mostly ragging on this game, especially as it compares to 4U. That said, I went the route some people suggested and opted to focus just on key quests. While this doesn't correct all my issues with offline, it certainly helps. Going that route opens up a lot more monsters and by extension gear which really helped me get back on the wagon. I'll probably still try and wring as much useful stuff out of village as I can before I do online with people. The limited access to offline high rank means I probably won't bother soloing as much as I did in 4U, but that's not the end of the world.

All in all I'm coming around to the game now that I don't feel so bogged down by some of the really early tedium.

Kinsei

Banned
The middle two were called
Descendants of the King
and
Final Invitation
in MHFU. Clearing those solo were still imo the toughest accomplishments I've ever done in MH. Curious how they are now, with all these new abilities and myself much more experienced.

That second one is actually a reference to
Wyverns of Land and Sky, the final village quest in MHF. In that game every village quest was low rank and then all of a sudden the game throws a quest against G rank Gold and Silver at you. I think it's still the hardest village quest in the series.

I still think the triple threat from.mh4u is the toughest. Fight 2 monsters and a rajang at the same time!

You mean the Caravaneer's Challenge? I found that quest to be pretty easy since you had to be HR7 to unlock it.

Aswitch

You can just hold the A button now and it never stops the animation, you just keep gathering much faster than normal. Same for carving, just hold A and you get your items faster than stopping, standing up, bending down and starting again. There's also a lot more items at every node, I get close to 10 items now as opposed to 5.

Was soooo fuckin happy when i noticed this playing. This better be permanent from now on. No more wasting time crouching when getting big carves.

Pejo

Gold Member
Finally dug into some Guild quests this weekend, after mainly sticking to village at first. So much fun! Glavenus and Astalos are both really good fight, and Mizutsune and Gammoth might be my favorite new monster music.

Glavenus can really lay down the hurt with his tail. Several times I was taken from full health to just centimeters on my life, and on fire. Really ups the ante, even at low rank.

Finally partnered up with a prowler on regular quests too, he had the boomerang meta cat, and it really seemed effective. I look forward to seeing more Prowlers the longer the game is out.

I've made the Glavenus and Astalos sets in the rank 3 armor, and I think I'm done making sets until high rank.

Does high rank start at 4* or 5* in guild?

redcrayon

Is the only way to play any high rank quests in single player to do either online/offline guild quests solo? I'd like to grind for some high rank kit while on my commute but it seems a bit rough that I have to solo quests balanced for 2-3 people to do so.

Just seen the pre-credits scene after beating Glavenus in village, lol.

Kinsei

Banned
Is the only way to play any high rank quests in single player to do either online/offline guild quests solo? I'd like to grind for some high rank kit while on my commute but it seems a bit rough that I have to solo quests balanced for 2-3 people to do so.

Just seen the pre-credits scene after beating Glavenus in village, lol.

Yes.

It's not rough at all. Soloing is much more fun than playing with other people.

Top Bottom