• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World weapons gameplay from SDCC

Vena

It's funny: you can already do this kind of move in MH4 and MHG, but the extra animations they added to each step (climbing, jump attack and mounting) does make it look like it's never been done before. I think the decision to make monsters mountable without having to ground them first was a wise choice.

With the added frames of animation (that nice kick-off), the transition looks janky as fuck and is poorly animated (the player is basically glued to the monster's back as it reels and he's on his back) as the camera swings wildly out of control. Also he looks like he's gliding while running. There seems to be no actual friction between the player model and the terrain/tree, they are wallpapered floor tiles.

In general, the player model doesn't seem to have any physics interaction with whats around/under him. Like at all unless its something else physically animated to display the model hitbox.

Ridley327

With the added frames of animation (that nice kick-off), the transition looks janky as fuck and is poorly animated as the camera swings wildly out of control. Also he looks like he's gliding while running. There seems to be no actual friction between the player model and the terrain/tree, they are wallpapered floor tiles.

It's not the best animation in the world, but it's still a nice step up from what it used to be. Like I said, it was always weird that a mount attempt in previous games always started with a monster being grounded and then having the player jump on it in a non-interactive cutscene, even if they've already jumped on the monster to initiate the transition.

Ryuuga

Banned
ezgif-2-7ad4197660.gif

Vena

It's not the best animation in the world, but it's still a nice step up from what it used to be. Like I said, it was always weird that a mount attempt in previous games always started with a monster being grounded and then having the player jump on it in a non-interactive cutscene, even if they've already jumped on the monster to initiate the transition.

Oh of course, but the old games looked cartoonish and so cartoonish interactions were not a glaring thing to notice. (Also check my edit, I elaborated!)

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
One of the main reasons I never finished my first Monster Hunter game.

I really hope they vastly increase drop rates in this game.

NO! You will grind out those 2% drops and enjoy doing it!!!

Akainu

Ok here is what y'all are gonna do. I'm going to take a shower and by the time I'm done there better be a time stamp of gunlance footage. Capiche?!

Oh of course, but the old games looked cartoonish and so cartoonish interactions were not a glaring thing to notice. (Also check my edit, I elaborated!)

I had a way bigger problems with the older games than I do this one because personally, despite them being more cartoonish, that damn fade to black with every mount was soooooooo annoying.

Toxi

Banned
Ok here is what y'all are gonna do. I'm going to take a shower and by the time I'm done there better be a time stamp of gunlance footage. Capiche?!
The video is one and a half minutes long.
The worst part is that you wouldn't undergo the transition if you weren't located in a certain area while the monster was on the ground, so you could down a monster and then still not get the mount unless you go to that location before it got up. Very noticeable while solo hunting where the mount damage is predictable and you know what should be a mount.

Doesn't look bad. Still from my experience with Capcom, I'm going to remain skeptical until I can play it myself. Can't wait til XX comes out in a month though. I've been craving a new MH game and I can't wait a whole year (or more?) for the PC version.

Kikorin

Definitely looks like Monster Hunter, and looks great. My only concern at this point is that I'll probably never play it because I've only an Xbox and I always played Monster Hunter with my brother, but I really doubt they'll will make split screen and I've not interest in play it with random strangers.

If they'll make split screen I'll jump like a frog on the hype train.

TI82

Banned
So uh, anyone who said this wasn't a real monster Hunter game have been proven wrong it seems.

This game looks incredible.

Usobuko

Banned
I don't know if I should wait or jump in with World.

This kind of multiplayer games need some serious time commitment to get your worth and kick.

raven777

BeneficialBruisedHerring.gif

Personally the melee weapon's hit impact still feels missing but there is still plenty of time to polish that. The guns however looks really good.

The more I see the footage, the less worried I become of this game.

BeneficialBruisedHerring.gif

Personally the melee weapon's hit impact still feels missing but there is still plenty of time to polish that. The guns however looks really good.

The more I see the footage, the less worried I become of this game.

I think the lack of blood splatter right now is adding to that feeling of the hits not having enough impact.

raven777

I think the lack of blood splatter right now is adding to that feeling of the hits not having enough impact.

yeah the missing blood splatter is definitely one of the big thing that is missing.
I assume they will tone it down compared to the previous MonHun games as it could look excessive in these graphics.

yeah the missing blood splatter is definitely one of the big thing that is missing.
I assume they will tone it down compared to the previous MonHun games as it could look excessive in these graphics.

If they add blood, it doesn't need to be a lot, but even a little would be extremely effective. Personally what I hope is that they add temporary scars to the monsters for hits. Even if they last only a couple of seconds, that would be enough to communicate how impactful the hits are.

Hybris

It's funny: you can already do this kind of move in MH4 and MHG, but the extra animations they added to each step (climbing, jump attack and mounting) does make it look like it's never been done before. I think the decision to make monsters mountable without having to ground them first was a wise choice.

I don't think that you can make that conclusion based on what we have seen. Could just be low mount tolerance like low ranked monsters have and demos have in the past. If it really is like this that's a terrible thing for the game. Everything will just die to mount spam. Multiplayer hunts will just be people jumping off of walls doing mount attacks. Ugh makes me puke just thinking about it.

butman

After World announcement I started to play MH4 (and the franchise) for the first time.

This game is pure FUN!

Syril

I don't think that you can make that conclusion based on what we have seen. Could just be low mount tolerance like low ranked monsters have and demos have in the past. If it really is like this that's a terrible thing for the game. Everything will just die to mount spam. Multiplayer hunts will just be people jumping off of walls doing mount attacks. Ugh makes me puke just thinking about it.
From the full hunt video it seems likely that there's mounting damage and tolerance like before. The difference seems to be that this time when you inflict a mount you latch onto them directly from the attack instead of like before where you would knock them down and them jump on them from the ground.

Toxi

Banned
Ridley's referring to how when you successfully mount a monster in 4U/Gen, it gets knocked down and then you jump on it while it's grounded.

Here, you just go directly on it from the jump, which looks much more natural. Mounting big monsters like Fatalis or Ukanlos will especially look better.

Also, 4U already has ridiculously low initial mount tolerance and people love that game.

Hybris

Ridley's referring to how when you successfully mount a monster in 4U/Gen, it gets knocked down and then you jump on it while it's grounded.

Here, you just go directly on it from the jump, which looks much more natural. Mounting big monsters like Fatalis or Ukanlos will especially look better.

Also, 4U already has ridiculously low initial mount tolerance and people love that game.

Ok yeah I get he was saying now. And yeah 4U is my favorite game, but I definitely think mounting is a bit out of control in that game. It's more balanced in Gen/XX

Hedge

I'm nervous about performance. Even the smallest slow down or stutter could really take this game from amazing to frustrating.

Toxi

Banned
Ok yeah I get he was saying now. And yeah 4U is my favorite game, but I definitely think mounting is a bit out of control in that game. It's more balanced in Gen/XX
I think the main problem with mounting in 4U is the Insect Glaive. The mounting tolerance has to be low enough for other weapons to conceivably mount using the environment, but the Insect Glaive can easily mount spam with its pole vault. So in an online group with an Insect Glaive user, it's just constant mounts on monsters like Fatalis or Kushala.

The addition of the Aerial Style in Generations meant they had to balance mount tolerance to be higher because every weapon could easily make aerial attacks.

Qvoth

yo wtf, tree vertical run then jump into mount looks fucking dope
side ways slide dodge on bowgun is cool too, that's lbg right?
seems like there's going to be quite a lot of new animations

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm nervous about performance. Even the smallest slow down or stutter could really take this game from amazing to frustrating.

Did you skip every single Monster Hunter game released on the 3DS? Nearly all of them had had some sort of performance issue and none of them ran at a solid 60 FPS and don't get me started on the sporadic Monster teleportation when you jump online and you had the bad luck of grouping up with someone who had a bad internet connection.

When performance tanks it really sucks but lets be real here that's not going to stop Hunters from playing the game anyways.

Top Bottom