• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World weapons gameplay from SDCC

DESTROYA

That's how MH is. You're moving somewhat realistically with those massive heavy weapons. It's what makes the game so deep and challenging.
I've played MH before on the 3DS and for some reason it looks slower, maybe it's just been a while since I played it but it looks slightly off, saying that I'm looking forward to this game.

jackal27

Banned
The graphics and animation is mostly great, but the lack of any reaction from the monster to some of those hits is a little jarring compared to how polished everything else is.
It's be weird if it did this because it's so difficult to convey that in the chaos of 4 players wailing on the the thing. There are small and large reactions throughout though when you strike a monster's weak point or break a piece of it.

Sayad

The graphics and animation is mostly great, but the lack of any reaction from the monster to some of those hits is a little jarring compared to how polished everything else is.
This is part of MH gameplay, staggering does happen every now and that but if the monster reacted to every attack from four players attacking him at once it would just be stuck in hit stun the whole fight.

Fistwell

Some flinches give great feedback. I've seen a charging diablos get flipped like a gatdamned pancake from a hammer hit. It was glorious.

Zexen

I just want to see the changes made to the Charge Blade, or else I'll return to the Long Sword, which seems even stronger than usual.

Lord I'm gonna lose so many hours in this game. This looks fantastic. I too am waiting on footage of the charge blade since that's what I've been using in the new games.

This is part of MH gameplay, staggering does happen every now and that but if the monster reacted to every attack from four players attacking him at once it would just be stuck in hit stun the whole fight.

Yeah there are usually damage thresholds that cause the monster to stagger. That or a strong direct hit to a weak spot like the head will usually knock a monster out of it's animation.

NJSlay

Banned
The way the monsters react to getting hit, and the lack of any visual battle damage is like some kind of weird PS2 throwback.

The way the monsters react to getting hit, and the lack of any visual battle damage is like some kind of weird PS2 throwback.

Have people in this thread not played Monster Hunter before?

Staggering a monster and breaking parts of them are significant mechanics. It's a HUNT, not a 2 minute boss fight where every hit knocks the monster around. You need to hit weak points to cause stagger, aim your attacks to break off monster parts and disable their attacks, and use buffs or specific weapons + targeting body parts to stun them.

Raven117

Have people in this thread not played Monster Hunter before?

Staggering a monster and breaking parts of them are significant mechanics. It's a HUNT, not a 2 minute boss fight where every hit knocks the monster around. You need to hit weak points to cause stagger, aim your attacks to break off monster parts and disable their attacks, and use buffs or specific weapons + targeting body parts to stun them.
Oh man, just you wait. With how this is whipping up a little hype, there will be plenty of new folks taking a look at the franchise for the first time. The level of salt and/or not quite understanding the design of the game will be sky high.

MH has a damn close to vertical learning curve. If it fails to click, it's the clunkiest, frustrating, and silly game ever. If it clicks, it is sublime.

We will see many converts and many complainers.

Oh man, just you wait. With how this is whipping up a little hype, there will be plenty of new folks taking a look at the franchise for the first time. The level of salt and/or not quite understanding the design of the game will be sky high.

MH has a damn close to vertical learning curve. If it fails to click, it's the clunkiest, frustrating, and silly game ever. If it clicks, it is sublime.

Hoping it clicks because in video form I'm liking everything

Exuro

Bought generations for $20 to play in the meantime. I'll probably import double cross for switch later. Played a good amount of 3 and 4 and these videos are hyping me up too much.

Hybris

I just want to see the changes made to the Charge Blade, or else I'll return to the Long Sword, which seems even stronger than usual.

Since it's the 4U dev team I'm really hoping we can guard point > super again. Gen charge blade can fuck off.

I want to play it NOW

This is actually a concern of mine. It's funny how, at the first reveal, I was critical of it being potentially "westernized" but now I'm just worried that the HD graphics and smoother animations WON'T be enough to win over any console players. With every video that's released, I'm (happily) reminded of how faithful this is to previous entries, both the good and the """bad""". With the 3ds monhun games, at least we had the excuse of poor hardware and controllers, and it was an experience that no other portable game had. With consoles, however, you're up against a plethora a co-op games and similarly difficult games like the Soulsborne series that have had multiple entries well into this generation of hardware. I wish the team the best of luck, and I just hope it's a product that I can convince some of my friends to play.

Neonep

So, I haven't been keeping up with this game, I have a couple of questions.
1. Is it still looking like MH and hitting all the right notes?
2. Has Capcom fucked up yet?

Kyoufu

I want to play it NOW

This is actually a concern of mine. It's funny how, at the first reveal, I was critical of it being potentially "westernized" but now I'm just worried that the HD graphics and smoother animations WON'T be enough to win over any console players. With every video that's released, I'm (happily) reminded of how faithful this is to previous entries, both the good and the """bad""". With the 3ds monhun games, at least we had the excuse of poor hardware and controllers, and it was an experience that no other portable game had. With consoles, however, you're up against a plethora a co-op games and similarly difficult games like the Soulsborne series that have had multiple entries well into this generation of hardware. I wish the team the best of luck, and I just hope it's a product that I can convince some of my friends to play.

A game being faithful to its core fans whilst making major QoL and design improvements for modern standards was the best decision they could have made. There's not much else they could do barring a new IP.

Chindogg

So, I haven't been keeping up with this game, I have a couple of questions.
1. Is it still looking like MH and hitting all the right notes?
2. Has Capcom fucked up yet?

1) So far it looks fine.
2) They haven't announced any DLC plans or other wild shit yet so we should be ok. Still waiting for that shoe to drop though unfortunately.

Gren

For single-player, I hope they make the mission structure much more seamless (i.e. don't require me to go back to town so much).

But otherwise, this should be interesting as it'll be the first MH I'll ever play with an online pop. I know that is a huge component of the series' charm.

spiritfox

For single-player, I hope they make the mission structure much more seamless (i.e. don't require me to go back to town so much).

But otherwise, this should be interesting as it'll be the first MH I'll ever play with an online pop. I know that is a huge component of the series' charm.

They already said you could pick up quests from the base camps while out in the world.

The gameplay looks great, but as someone who has never played a MH game before, them using the same environments and the same monster over and over again, makes the game look like it'll become really repetitive.

I was very surprised when one of my friends told me that MH games have towns and many different environments, cause none of these things are being showcased in MHW.

Syril

The gameplay looks great, but as someone who has never played a MH game before, them using the same environments and the same monster over and over again, makes the game look like it'll become really repetitive.

I was very surprised when one of my friends told me that MH games have towns and many different environments, cause none of these things are being showcased in MHW.

The most likely reason is that the Ancient Forest map with Anjanath/Great Jaggras/Rathalos is probably the "vertical slice" part of the game that they've developed and polished enough at this point to show off to the public.

Neonep

Eh, the game was just revealed last month. Give it a bit more time, there is still plenty of events to show this game off. TGS, Gamescom, PSX, and the Game Awards. If it's still like that come say October then yeah that would be concerning especially considering how this game is coming out in February.

Hybris

There's speculation that there will be at least 5 environments. This is based on interpretations of some artwork that has been released. I can't find the reddit thread this was discussed.

I wish they would stop showing the same demo in so many different events. It's getting pretty stale and clearly it is giving some people the wrong impression.

All 14 weapons are confirmed.

But like you, I just want to SEE it in action, now. Maybe there's special Kinsects that can work with the new guide bugs, or something.

In one of the previous videos, when showing the weapon chest, the IG and kinsect were different icons, possibly meaning that you level and build them separately from each other, allowing for mixing and matching.

Comandr

In one of the previous videos, when showing the weapon chest, the IG and kinsect were different icons, possibly meaning that you level and build them separately from each other, allowing for mixing and matching.

Well in Generations Generations the glaive and kinsect are separable. Presumably they're just carrying that over. Because rebuilding a kinsect from scratch every time you got a new glaive made IG one of the most cumbersome weapons to build, far more so than any others.

The most likely reason is that the Ancient Forest map with Anjanath/Great Jaggras/Rathalos is probably the "vertical slice" part of the game that they've developed and polished enough at this point to show off to the public.
Yeah, I think that's the reason. Though, judging by the fact that this is supposed to come in the next 9 months, I think this demo/build is most likely from the actual game instead of simply being a vertical slice.

Eh, the game was just revealed last month. Give it a bit more time, there is still plenty of events to show this game off. TGS, Gamescom, PSX, and the Game Awards. If it's still like that come say October then yeah that would be concerning especially considering how this game is coming out in February.
I think you misunderstood me. I haven't played or even followed other MH games. The MHW trailers and gamplays that they've released thus far are pretty much the only things that I've seen from MH series as a whole. So, while the gameplay looked interesting, the game itself seemed to only focus on fighting monsters in a same looking environment. It wasn't until a friend of mine said that there are more stuff in a MH game that I realized this demo wasn't representative of the entire MH experience.

TL;DR, As a newcomer to the series, their marketing of MHW is a bit confusing and made me think there isn't really anything else to do in MH besides fighting the same looking monsters in the same looking environments.
There's speculation that there will be at least 5 environments. This is based on interpretations of some artwork that has been released. I can't find the reddit thread this was discussed.

I wish they would stop showing the same demo in so many different events. It's getting pretty stale and clearly it is giving some people the wrong impression.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say. What I've heard about MH has made me more excited about the game than what they are showing.

NewGame

Banned
I want to love this

But I have to keep telling myself this is a Capcpom creation

I'm just waiting for the 'paid online' or 'paid dlc' or '99c mega potions' to show up.

Kyoufu

I want to love this

But I have to keep telling myself this is a Capcpom creation

I'm just waiting for the 'paid online' or 'paid dlc' or '99c mega potions' to show up.

They already confirmed online multiplayer only requires PS+.

And DLC would be a good thing for MH. A steady stream of post-launch content would be brilliant.

Top Bottom