• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More hints that AMD is building Nintendo NX’s processor (VentureBeat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speculation: NX being portable+home console (you plug/connect the portable in a dock or wireless to get more power and play either on the portable screen or tv). NX could have both DQXI versions (3DS and PS4).
Look, i don't know anything about NX, but if i believe one thing, then it's the fact, that it won't be a hybrid hardware, because that's what Iwata flat out denied. :)

All rumors point to a family of hardware, thus a dedicated handheld and console.

KingBroly

Banned
I know we don't know what NX is yet, but those DQ announcements for it legitimately made me hyped for it for the first time. It just means so much in terms of possibility for the system.

Litri

Well, isn't this an unofficial confirmation that early NX HW might be in the wild?

I mean, if they plan to release the game next year in JP for NX, they must have something
ready...

The catch of NX is to have both libraries treatet as main releases. Why downport a PS4 version (it won't be at 1,7 tflops, it will be cheap as hell) when you can just take the handheld version. Handheld or home console make no difference on NX.

I already said why they'd use the Unreal 4 version of the game.

The idea of NX is to provide a way for developers to program for all hardware on the same platform, like how iOS works: Developers can target iPhone and iPad and optimise for both using the same universal app or game.

The only version of the game which makes the most sense for this is the Unreal 4 version, which can be easily adapted to more types of hardware.

Rion

It would be too costly for Nintendo to implement 3DS backwards compatibility next generation, and Nintendo plans on continuing to sell and produce 3DS games after NX launches. The transition from DS to 3DS was straightforward, one replaced the other. NX won't replace 3DS in the short term.

That's just PR talk. I do not believe Nintendo themselves have any more big game for 3DS. If they do, that would simply strengthen my argument that NX is backward compatible.

I think there is a good chance that NX is simply a new handheld with a possible TV-out port. Backward compatibility will most likely be implemented through emulation.

ecosse_011172

I originally thought that this announcement was a good sign for the NX being (at least) a home console that wasn't too far away from the PS4 but of course it could just be a handheld with a tarted up version of the 3DS game so we're none the wiser.

That's just PR talk. I do not believe Nintendo themselves have any more big game for 3DS. If they do, that would simply strengthen my argument that NX is backward compatible.

I think there is a good chance that NX is simply a new handheld with a possible TV-out port. Backward compatibility will most likely be implemented through emulation.

I'm inclined to believe Iwata in this case because he said NX was "starting from zero" and that it makes good business sense to keep releasing new software on a platform with a massive install base.

That's been debunked both by Iwata in February 2014 and by the previous pages on this thread.

Iwata:
“To cite a specific case. Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. "

Jigorath

Banned
So is the Dragon Quest news an early indication that we're going to see a lot of PS4/NX multiplat games? At least with Japan? Kind of like how Western publishers mainly focus on PS4/Xbone.

am I?

not happening. Nintendo doesn't reveal consoles on paper to the public, they'll show something when they feel its far enough along to show the box.

But that doesnt make sense, they usually dont show off the BOX. Wii U was just some BOX in the background, it probably even just was a shell. Some renders and a first prototype is all they always show. Most time the design is close to final though, thats true. March direct seems most likely so all eyes are on them, with a follow up in May and then at E3 they blow all out...

thefro

NX versions of both DQX/DQXI point to pretty good software support from S-E for the platform.

Can't see them mentioning that at a conference if it was just "3DS games run on NX!". NX will definitely be able to run UE4 (unless Nintendo is completely stupid) as even mobile phones can run that engine.

I'd expect KH3 at the very least, and more likely the vast majority of S-E's big Japanese games. Not sure at that point why the Eidos side wouldn't support the platform as well.

Japanese third party support should be good, given Nintendo's relations with most of the other major companies (sans Konami).

Taker666

So is the Dragon Quest news an early indication that we're going to see a lot of PS4/NX multiplat games? At least with Japan? Kind of like how Western publishers mainly focus on PS4/Xbone.

Nope. As the NX game could be an enhanced port of the 3DS game.
We know nothing either way.

Why are you talking about BC so much?

Galava

Look, i don't know anything about NX, but if i believe one thing, then it's the fact, that it won't be a hybrid hardware, because that's what Iwata flat out denied. :)

All rumors point to a family of hardware, thus a dedicated handheld and console.

Ok, I did not know that :/

Then my bets are on a home console, 3DS still has life ahead with new 3DS.

Ok, I did not know that :/

Depends. NX is about letting developers target all the hardware with one software release, which means whatever the console supports will be scalable with the handheld. A flagship game like DQXI really ought to be released on both.

Yes, name a new Smash Bros. after the Japanese name for Brawl. That'll help with confusion problems.

lol sorry I didnt know that Brawl was named like that in Japan, cause well im not fluent in japanese, i dont live in japan, and i dont know people from japan...

Isnt the "Wii U is just an addon for the Wii" phenomenon actually an american and european thing?

I'm inclined to believe Iwata in this case because he said NX was "starting from zero" and that it makes good business sense to keep releasing new software on a platform with a massive install base.

That's been debunked both by Iwata in February 2014 and by the previous pages on this thread.

Iwata:

Iwata mentioned starting from zero because that's whats bugged him all the generations before. NX exists to stop starting from zero. Forever. He also mentioned how important it is to start with a bang and how they missed out on this with the 3DS and Wii U. So why not give the NX a headstart with some ports? Zelda Wii U and handheld DX 11. All playable within your NX ecosystem. They don't want a clean break. On the contrary.

Socordia

Banned
He doesn't, he's guessing like everyone else.

It supposed to cost less than wii u, right now it is official 300$(was 350$) selling at a loss and Wii was 250$ selling at a profit.Now tell me how they gonna manage to go at least with xbox one level power while costing at worst 250$ and maintening profitability(at least breaking even) and don´t get me even started with the new gimmick that needs a console that cost as low as possible so they can get people thinking "why not?".Or the fact that their hardware business cannot be allowed to become an eyesore when they gonna release 5 mobile games at the same fiscal year as their new hardware.

terrier

Because of the announcement of of NX DQ10/11, and the belief that Nintendo wouldn't want a dry launch. Plus I was answering the question about it's being costly.

while BC is nice, i would skip it(or make it available via emulation) and make the hw as powerful and future proof as possible. And if AMD is making the hw, it will probably be x86 (not sure if that would be a good idea for a portable though, despite some tablets and smarphones using some intel x86 SoCs.

really interested in what nintendo is doing (unless they go the gimmick thing again), it could be the best of nintendo handhelds, that is own games + 3rd party with some 'vita' flavour making it as close as possible to a home console experience.

ecosse_011172

It supposed to cost less than wii u, right now it is official 300$(was 350$) selling at a loss and Wii was 250$ selling at a profit.Now tell me how they gonna manage to go at least with xbox one level power while costing at worst 250$ and maintening profitability(at least breaking even) and don´t get me even started with the new gimmick that needs a console that cost as low as possible so they can get people thinking "why not?".Or the fact that their hardware business cannot be allowed to become an eyesore when they gonna release 5 mobile games at the same fiscal year as their new hardware.
We don't have a clue how much it will cost.

big_z

Because of the announcement of of NX DQ10/11, and the belief that Nintendo wouldn't want a dry launch. Plus I was answering the question about it's being costly.

DQ10 can be played on anything since it can be streamed. don't expect a hardware solution for backwards compatibility.

how dry the launch is will depend on what software Nintendo has cooking. I imagine most of the early software will be indie ports. its going to be on Nintendo to sell the console at launch.

okay

Rion

I don't think that what he meant. And I don't think you can sell NX with zero good software.

This quote is specifically about the software development choice. It doesn't debunk anything regarding BC. For example, an Android device can still emulate a DS.

orioto

Good Art™
With he possibility of the PS4 version of DQXI being ported like that on NX (if it's not a downgrade, which is still possible, like a ps3 version for exemple), we're facing the real eventuality of a next gen capable nintendo home console.

I can only think.. How is it going to help them... That would be surprising if they adopt that strategy, cause they probably know that's not how they will make PS4 or XBO users to shift. They need something else.

But at least, as i said in the past, i'm 200% convinced artist teams at Nintendo are ready to unleash incredible things with that kind of power, and that's important. What i mean is, in the past, they've been sometimes in difficult situations to upgrade their graphics, cause everything had to be redone with so much more details (i think N64 to GC for exemple). Now they already have incredible models honestly, they've learned how to use modern shaders, modern light, they have great animations..

MK8 is so next gen ready. Keep the same direction, adds way more complex lighting, better textures, complex shaders, some motion blur.. You don't really have to update the models honestly (of course you can) and it'll look surrreal with a good iq.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Numerous people have been banned for the, "I might be an insider but I'm not telling you, but I'll still make cryptic comments like I am" routine, just so you know. You might want to clarify eiter way.

I don't think that what he meant. And I don't think you can sell NX with zero good software.
Hyperbole much? Nintendo has plenty of development teams and development partners; and NX reduces the number of platforms they need to support next gen from 2 to 1.

This quote is specifically about the software development choice. It doesn't debunk anything regarding BC. For example, an Android device can still emulate a DS.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it. DS games on an Android phone or tablet are an awful UX; also your comments suggested native backwards compatibility, not software backwards compatibility. I think software backwards compat is possible, but unlikely for 3DS titles, because for a good experience Nintendo would have to build two screens into the NX (one 5:3, the other 4:3) and a whole load of other things that could compromise their vision.

Wii b/c ultimately harmed the Wii U, both from a technical perspective of using aging IBM CPU cores and because they had to maintain compatibility with 10 or so different controllers. It also forced Nintendo to use the Wii branding.

SCE is co-developing DQ10 for PS4. So, DQ10 for PS4 and NX will not be the same. I suspect that NX is simply backward compatible with 3DS, hence the announcement.

It would be fairly low-cost to port over a game to a platform that supports the same technologies as the PS4.

Neoxon

SCE is co-developing DQ10 for PS4. So, DQ10 for PS4 and NX will not be the same. I suspect that NX is simply backward compatible with 3DS, hence the announcement.
Why would they mention the NX at all if it was simply for 3DS backwards compatibility?

big_z

We don't have a clue how much it will cost.

Nintendo will sell it at a price where they make profit day 1. This is guaranteed.
I believe the goal is mass market price to get tons of units out there quickly aka the Gameboy strategy. That said the marketing research Nintendo used to price the 3ds was some bullshit and I would hate if they tried that again.

Iwata mentioned starting from zero because that's whats bugged him all the generations before. NX exists to stop starting from zero. Forever. He also mentioned how important it is to start with a bang and how they missed out on this with the 3DS and Wii U. So why not give the NX a headstart with some ports? Zelda Wii U and handheld DX 11. All playable within your NX ecosystem. They don't want a clean break. On the contrary.

No, he said NX starts from zero as a reference to the install base, and a justification about why they will continue releasing 3DS and Wii U software after NX launches: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-06/29/nintendo-agm-nx-wii-u

As for the rest of your post, that's all what I've been suggesting they are doing, I didn't say anything against those points at all. I'm just saying it's far more likely that the Unreal 4 version of DQXI hits NX than the 3DS version you are suggesting. I've already given many reasons why I believe that to be the case, and why it's in both Nintendo and Square Enix's interests.

Iwata does want a clean break, that's the whole point.

“However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system"

NX is a "brand new concept" for a reason, it has nothing to do with the Wii U and 3DS, because it's a brand new platform that will last in the long-term and have scalable hardware and let developers to code for all NX hardware without the need to spend lots of money building bespoke versions of a game or on porting.

Their role, alongside the mobile games, will be to link users into Nintendo's new membership system and online platform in the run up to NX launch, not provide software that you can play on NX.

Socordia

Banned
No, he said NX starts from zero as a reference to the install base, and a justification about why they will continue releasing 3DS and Wii U software after NX launches: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-06/29/nintendo-agm-nx-wii-u

As for the rest of your post, that's all what I've been suggesting they are doing, I didn't say anything against those points at all. I'm just saying it's far more likely that the Unreal 4 version of DQXI hits NX than the 3DS version you are suggesting.

That just means if NX is not successful out of gate that they have no choice but cater wiiu/3ds owners too.

That just means if NX is not successful out of gate that they have no choice but cater wiiu/3ds owners too.

I don't think Iwata's comments should be interpreted as pessimistic, he really is just comparing install bases. NX starts at 0. 3DS would be at tens of millions. Wii U will get another year of light support.

E-phonk

Banned

GAF insiders already hinted at it's resolution so it's at least a handheld, but most probably a handheld + console sharing the same architecture/os etc alla iphone/ipad and android tablet/phone.

That also shows that the specs are +/- known, and chances are devs like capcom/bandai/level5 and SE already have devkits.

Socordia

Banned
Why? Square has always supported Nintendo.

Nintendo needs to show many other changes for me to start thinking they are going into "right direction".

Why should they do that for you?Did you buy animal crossing,mario kart,3d world,splatoon etc... maybe a few amiibo or at least do you use miiverse?Did you double dip on new 3ds?These are the people that needs catered first not ps4/xboxone/pc owner.

Could an open-world UE4 game, even with graphical downgrades, run acceptably on mobile hardware?

For now, I'm guessing that it's an enhanced port of the 3DS version.

Socordia

Banned
I don't think Iwata's comments should be interpreted as pessimistic, he really is just comparing install bases. NX starts at 0. 3DS would be at tens of millions. Wii U will get another year of light support.

Its the same third pillar idea like wii/ds nothing else.There is no pessimism in my interpretation it just nintendo being cautious.

Its the same third pillar idea like wii/ds nothing else.There is no pessimism in my interpretation it just nintendo being cautious.

Ah, if you put it that way then I agree. Yeah, NX will be a third pillar, and Nintendo is spreading its risk in the short term.

Could an open-world UE4 game, even with graphical downgrades, run acceptably on mobile hardware?

For now, I'm guessing that it's an enhanced port of the 3DS version.

Storage would be a big concern on handheld too. I'd wager it's only going to target NX console if that's the case. Like iOS, developers can either target all systems on the platform or just one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom