• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More hints that AMD is building Nintendo NX’s processor (VentureBeat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo will sell it at a price where they make profit day 1. This is guaranteed.
I believe the goal is mass market price to get tons of units out there quickly aka the Gameboy strategy. That said the marketing research Nintendo used to price the 3ds was some bullshit and I would hate if they tried that again.

You're again speaking as if you're an insider. Please clarify either way.

Nintendo sold Wii U at a loss, by the way.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Why should they do that for you?Did you buy animal crossing,mario kart,3d world,splatoon etc... maybe a few amiibo or at least do you use miiverse?Did you double dip on new 3ds?These are the people that needs catered first not ps4/xboxone/pc owner.

lol What the hell is this?

Rion

Hyperbole much? Nintendo has plenty of development teams and development partners; and NX reduces the number of platforms they need to support next gen from 2 to 1.
That's why I said they don't have any more big games for 3DS because they are concentrated on NX. Otherwise, they would have to handle 3DS, Wii U and NX. So if there are indeed big games for 3DS, that would imply that NX is BC. This is my original argument.

About emulation, 3DS is really weak, so Nintendo, with access to the original source code and instruction, can definitely do it. Vita can emulate PSP and PS1 even when they all use different architectures. The article in the OP implied this as well.
NX is most likely a handheld like DS/3DS, so the screen reasoning does not apply here. For example, when playing on TV, NX would simply be the lower screen (I think there would a separate game pad as well).

To your last point, I doubt SCE would co-develop a port that would come to NX, a direct console competitor.

big_z

I forgot the wii u sold at a loss. it was a Nintendo first but I don't see them going down that route again when they always attempted to avoid it in the past.

Neoxon

I think he means that it being sold at a profit from the start is a safe bet given the comments we have documented from Nintendo officials.

Rion

Why would they mention the NX at all if it was simply for 3DS backwards compatibility?

Because it would be a new 3DS situation, DQ11 may run better on NX than on 3DS. For DQ10, a new video player for smoother stream, plus higher stream resolution. I don't think SE is crazy enough to develop these two games for this new hardware with zero user unless they know that they can use their 3DS works.

Still does not make sense..
You may want to read all my posts in this thread then.

Dude DQXI was already made without SCE holy crap
I was talking about port, so DQ10.

MUnited83

For you.
Why should they do that for you?Did you buy animal crossing,mario kart,3d world,splatoon etc... maybe a few amiibo or at least do you use miiverse?Did you double dip on new 3ds?These are the people that needs catered first not ps4/xboxone/pc owner.

... have you checked Wii U's hardware sales lately?

nubbe

They were able to sell Gamecube for a small loss at $99
and that was the most efficient system that generation

bummer that they used that mini-dvd

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Could an open-world UE4 game, even with graphical downgrades, run acceptably on mobile hardware?

For now, I'm guessing that it's an enhanced port of the 3DS version.

Have you seen the UE Demos for mobile? They could run at a scaled down level.

The bigger issue would be battery life, pushing something this graphically intensive, and storage space, ie shit like this will need a big as fuck SD card.

Ah, if you put it that way then I agree. Yeah, NX will be a third pillar, and Nintendo is spreading its risk in the short term.

Storage would be a big concern on handheld too. I'd wager it's only going to target NX console if that's the case. Like iOS, developers can either target all systems on the platform or just one.

Whether Nintendo mandates it or not, I think the vast majority of NX games will run on both the handheld and console hardware.

Would SE really not support the NX handheld, given the direction of the JP market?

big_z

As was the 3ds and the GameCube

3ds launched profitable, the price cut ate up the margin.

gamecube launched nearly even. the loss per unit was less than $10 in most regions and became profitable very quickly. they took another small loss when they dropped the price to $99.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
3ds launched profitable, the price cut ate up the margin.

gamecube launched nearly even. the loss per unit was less than $10 in most regions and became profitable very quickly. they took another small loss when they dropped the price to $99.

The 99 drop was a small loss? What kind of technical marvel was the Gamecube? It was small, barely made a sound and had fantastic graphics. (And is the best looking console ever created)

Because it would be a new 3DS situation, DQ11 may run better on NX than on 3DS. For DQ10, a new video player for smoother stream, plus higher stream resolution. I don't think SE is crazy enough to develop these two games for this new hardware with zero user unless they know that they can use their 3DS works..

Honestly this doesn't make sense.

There are only 2 realistic scenarios on which we would get an NX version of this game.

Scenario 1
UE4 Build
- PS4
ARM11 Build
- 3DS
AMD NONUE4 Build
- NX

They would have to develop 3 different builds for 3 different architectures. Like the Smash4 situation but across generations and architectures. The NX even if portable won't share the same architecture as the 3ds and n3ds do.

Scenario 2
UE4 Build
- PS4
- NX
ARM11 Build
- 3DS

Seems to me the most logical scenario, since we know that it's almost 99% possible for NX to run UE4.

Making a port of the 3DS game to the NX would be almost like developing a new game, while porting the UE4 PS4 version would be considerably easier.

nubbe

A small loss that forced them to think outside of box way to much for something like wii/ds.

the most successful platforms... ever

The problem now is that they haven't adopted to the F2P smartphone/tablet market that has completely take over the casual audience on Wii/DS

Market changed, they didn't adopt and had alienated the core audience

So it will be quite interesting to see what they do with NX

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Why? Square has always supported Nintendo.

Nintendo needs to show many other changes for me to start thinking they are going into "right direction".
They've supported the portable console, yes. When was the last time a Nintendo home console got a main line DQ game?

And for the sake of argument I'm assuming the NX is a home console.

Socordia

Banned
the most successful platforms... ever

The problem now is that they haven't adopted to the F2P smartphone/tablet market that has completely take over the casual audience on Wii/DS

Market changed, they didn't adopt and had alienated the core audience

So it will be quite interesting to see what they do with NX

Who is the this core audience you talking about?Just so the conversation can get somewhere.

Rodin

There are only 2 realistic scenarios on which we would get an NX version of this game.

Scenario 1
UE4 Build
- PS4
ARM11 Build
- 3DS
AMD NONUE4 Build
- NX

They would have to develop 3 different builds for 3 different architectures. Like the Smash4 situation but across generations and architectures. The NX even if portable won't share the same architecture as the 3ds and n3ds do.

Scenario 2
UE4 Build
- PS4
- NX
ARM11 Build
- 3DS

Seems to me the most logical scenario, since we know that it's almost 99% possible for NX to run UE4.

Making a port of the 3DS game to the NX would be almost like developing a new game, while porting the UE4 PS4 version would be considerably easier.
There's also another possible scenario

Scenario 3

UE4 Build
- PS4
- NX home

ARM11 Build
- 3DS
ARMv8 build
- NX portable (improved 3DS version)

Anyway, i remember verendus hinting at a major third party project coming to NX... I was thinking KH3, but maybe it was DQ XI and we got that announcement.

Mr Swine

Banned

Scenario 3

UE4 Build
- PS4
- NX home

ARM11 Build
- 3DS
ARMv8 build

Anyway, i remember verendus hinting at a major third party project coming to NX... I was thinking KH3, but maybe it was DQ XI and we got that announcement.

It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to have a handheld which is a improved 3DS version. If they want developers to develop for their handheld they really need to make it compatible with UE4

Rion

I guess you should read all my previous posts in this thread as well. That post is part of a conversation where I said NX is most likely a handheld that is BC with 3DS. In this scenario, DQ10 will be higher quality stream, and DQ11 is simply the 3DS version that can possibly run better on NX, just like how "old-3DS" games can run better on "new-3DS". Nothing complex.

Rodin

It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to have a handheld which is a improved 3DS version. If they want developers to develop for their handheld they really need to make it compatible with UE4

Yeah, the portable will most definitely be compatible with UE4 mobile but that doesn't mean we'll get a downscaled PS4 version on it. Makes much more sense to have the 3DS version at higher res and with better assets/lighting/60fps/etc on it, and the UE4 version on the home if the hardware meets the minimum requirements for the engine. If there's only a NX handheld version then it's possible that they'll port the PS4 version by scaling down the assets a lot, but it's really too early to speculate about this scenario.

I guess you should read all my previous posts in this thread as well. That post is part of a conversation where I said NX is most likely a handheld that is BC with 3DS. In this scenario, DQ10 will be higher quality stream, and DQ11 is simply the 3DS version that can possibly run better on NX, just like how "old-3DS" games can run better on "new-3DS". Nothing complex.

... that implies it's the 3DS game running in bc. Why would they announce a NX version then?

Scenario 3

UE4 Build
- PS4
- NX home

ARM11 Build
- 3DS
ARMv8 build

Going by the NintendOS Theory, I think if a new portable is announced, this would look like>

Scenario 4

UE4 Build
- PS4
- NX home
- NX portable

ARM11 Build
- 3DS

It still doesn't make sense, because you would be running a 3DS version, SE wouldn't have had to announce it!

Rion

... that implies it's the 3DS game running in bc. Why would they announce a NX version then?

It still doesn't make sense, because you would be running a 3DS version, SE wouldn't have had to announce it!

If NX can run 3DS code then making that code run better on NX would be easy, hence the announcement. Also, they cannot say that NX is running through, or partially through BC because that would reveal the NX, which Nintendo won't allow them to do.

To justify the existence of both DQ10 and DQ11 on NX, as a likely handheld console, this line of reasoning makes the most sense to me.

TunaLover

Making a portable that can run UE4 seems very unlikely, we are talking about Nintendo here, they love mass market prices. I don't know, maybe NX will have the comparable power of a Wii U, and you can choose play their games in handheld or home console.

Rion

It would still be the 3DS code, hence a 3DS game. If I play a Super Mario RPG ROM in my PC, that doesn't make it a PC game.

Because it would be an improved version, 3DS cannot run this, so it's a NX version. Like how you can not run Xenoblade 3DS on old-3DS even if the architecture is the same.

Kyzer

Banned
I thought for sure from AMD's "new era of PC gaming" PR that they had already lost the bid to manufacture the big 3's chips this gen lol

Totally agree with this point, and I think Nintendo definitely started utilising the enthusiast audience in the last year or two with Wii U (DLC, Amiibo) in order to monetise them as much as possible. Your general PS4/XBO owner just isn't interested.

Because it would be an improved version, 3DS cannot run this, so it's a NX version. Like how you can not run Xenoblade 3DS on old-3DS even if the architecture is the same.
That would be a port while the way it was posted before would be the nx emulating a 3ds like how the xbone does 360 games or thr wii does gamecube games

I see, point taken.

But even then, if they say it's coming for the NX and the NX is both a system and a platform, it should be running on the platform per se, so I don't this being run in a BC chip instead of the AMD/NintendOS "part" of the system.

DQX was essentially a Wii game with higher resolution on Wii U, they have done this before :p
Wii and Wii U are both PowerPCs though

Neoxon

Making a portable that can run UE4 seems very unlikely, we are talking about Nintendo here, they love mass market prices. I don't know, maybe NX will have the comparable power of a Wii U, and you can choose play their games in handheld or home console.
So you're saying that the NX is just a handheld?

Rion

I see, point taken.
But even then, if they say it's coming for the NX and the NX is both a system and a platform, it should be running on the platform per se, so I don't this being run in a BC chip instead of the AMD/NintendOS "part" of the system.

So you think that NX is both a system and a platform, and not just a single console? If that really is the case then it's simple, NX game would be built for the lowest common factor, the handheld device, and will be scaled up according on different hardware it runs on, just like a PC game. A 3DS port is most likely with this scenario.

About BC, it can be done without a dedicated chip through emulation. I explained this in my previous post.

My final say in this conversation, if NX really is a platform (run on one or multiple hardware) and that Nintendo intends for it to be the only platform they support, NX game will most likely be something that can run on a mobile device because handheld console is their strongest market.

TunaLover

So you're saying that the NX is just a handheld?
I'm not what it is, that's for sure. Nintendo decided call NX a platform, then they say it will be a game system. I think NX is ultimately a shared architecture for handheld and home console, what I fail to understand is how will they make them both comparable (power wise), in order to run the same games. That's why speculating that they probably will hit the max power they can in a handheld and from there they will build the home console.

So you think that NX is both a system and a platform, and not just a single console?

I think it's the most likely Theory to be correct yes. There are a ton of quotes that support this theory.

If that really is the case then it's simple, NX game would be built for the lowest common factor, the handheld device, and will be scaled up according on different hardware it runs on, just like a PC game. A 3DS port is most likely with this scenario.

Your second sentence does not necessarily follow the first one. Since it's extremely likely that NX will be changing architectures, I think that Nintendo will develop it's new software platform around the new architecture while the 3DS BC hardware (if it exists), will not be able to access or allow such a platform. Some speculate that the platform will work just like apple iOS where you've got apps for both iPhone and iPad devices.

About BC, it can be done without a dedicated chip through emulation. I explained this in my previous post.

At this point you are again already doing considerable much more work than just porting the UE4 version. EVEN if Nintendo provided SoftBC, I very much doubt that SE would let the opportunity to release UE4 version in the NX.

My final say in this conversation, if NX really is a platform (run on one or multiple hardware) and that Nintendo intends for it to be the only platform they support, NX game will most likely be something that can run on a mobile device because handheld console is their strongest market.

True, but this is irrelevant to what build we are getting. We could as easily get UE4 build that will scale down in a portable. Or it could be exclusive to the console. Or exclusive to the handheld.

I think it's too early to say anything with sureness but to think that the possibility of DQNXI being a cross-handheld port is just much lower than being an UE4 port.

We are all making assumptions. You are just making a couple more than everybody else

-----------

I'm not what it is, that's for sure. Nintendo decided call NX a platform, then they say it will be a game system. I think NX is ultimately a shared architecture for handheld and home console, what I fail to understand is how will they make them both comparable (power wise), in order to run the same games. That's why speculating that they probably will hit the max power they can in a handheld and from there they will build the home console.

Probably the same way iOS/Android does it:
- Some apps that are handheld only
- Some apps that are console only
- Some apps will be available on both devices.

The main principal point of making NX a platform would not to have a shared-library PER SE, but to let devs employ their resources much more efficiently by requiring ONE area of expertise for the platforms, increasing flexibility. The bona fide example of how this became a problem, is Smash4, where smash43DS and smash4WiiU are completely different builds from the ground up, which means having to use completely different coders and designers.

Xellos

Assuming NX is getting the PS4 version of DQ11, this bodes well for the ability of NX to handle third party ports, and for the capabilities of NX hardware in general.

TunaLover

BronzeWolf said:
I think that Nintendo will develop it's new software platform around the new architecture while the 3DS BC hardware (if it exists)
About BC, didn't Iwata said that NX would absorb Wii U (I don't recall the exact wording) library? If they are indeed changing from PowerPC then what happen with Wii U BC?

About BC, didn't Iwata said that NX would absorb Wii U (I don't recall the exact wording) library? If they are indeed changing from PowerPC then what happen with Wii U BC?
Maybe they can add a small coprocessor in charge of wiiu tasks? Surely manufacturing that has become cheaper and it's definitely the easiest part of the wiiu to build.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

It's not rocket science. With same architecture, games can just scale like of games with low, medium and high graphic settings.

beril

The NX version of DQXI is pretty much guaranteed to be a port of the PS4 game, regardless of the capabilities of the hardware.

The 3DS installbase is big enough to support the game on it's own; PS4 is not. Also the overlap between NX users and 3DS users will presumably be bigger than PS4 and NX, so it gives more people the option to get both games, instead of just a slightly upgrades 3DS port.

Also the PS4 games will almost certainly be way more scalable than the 3DS game which seems very tailored for the 3DS hardware, from the graphics to the dual screen usage. UE4 comes with full source code so they can port it to any platform even if there's no official support.

E-phonk

Banned

The quote:
“It will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.”

Wii U architecture could be interpreted as eshop/miiverse/nnid instead of the PowerPC CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom