• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More hints that AMD is building Nintendo NX’s processor (VentureBeat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

atbigelow

I'd wager the xbox one will be $199 msrp at some point in 2017, the same year this nx thing is most likely to come out.

I wouldn't. The 360 Arcade was the only model to hit $199 and it was pretty severely stripped down on the internal space and also discontinued. PS3 never hit that price. You can't even get XBO's for less than $300 let alone $200.

ZOONAMI

I was talking about Xbox One, no way Microsoft will push it under 299$ (it will probably stay at 350 with bundles). NX will be ~250 at D1 imho.

He said that NX will not compete with PS4. What it really means remains to be seen, but i wouldn't expect something around 1.8tflops anyway.

Yeah $250 seems like a good spot.

cafemomo

I wonder if Square would consider FFXV (and KHIII) for the NX as well.

There is a sizable FF fanbase on Nintendo hardware (from the SFC era/Crystal Chronicles, various remakes) and half of the KH games are on Nintendo handhelds.

ZOONAMI

I wouldn't. The 360 Arcade was the only model to hit $199 and it was pretty severely stripped down on the internal space and also discontinued. PS3 never hit that price. You can't even get XBO's for less than $300 let alone $200.

Impossible if so they would be making a super budget Xbox One. The 360 now that reached 179 for the holidays is only 4GB! The xbox one have 1TB consoles now

Yeah you guys are right. $250 then in 2017.

KingBroly

Banned
I wonder if Square would consider FFXV (and KHIII) for the NX as well.

There is a sizable FF fanbase on Nintendo hardware (from the SFC era/Crystal Chronicles, various remakes) and half of the KH games are on Nintendo handhelds.

I think that World of Final Fantasy or whatever it is will, because of the art style.

Now, my BIG question is if FF7r happened. Because that would be amazing if it did.

In regards to price, I say $250 for the Console.

NateDrake

Is there a source for this? I know it's confirmed that we'll hear about it more in 2016, but when has it been said it's definitely releasing in 2016? Thanks.

Speculation. If the manufacturing rumors of June 2016 are true, then there is no way it doesn't release in 2016. Everything is speculation at this point.

Is there a source for this? I know it's confirmed that we'll hear about it more in 2016, but when has it been said it's definitely releasing in 2016? Thanks.

I think Nintendo's completely anemic E3 lineup (coupled with Zelda vanishing into "2016" and today's Dragon Quest news) has most people convinced that they are now focusing all of their attention on the NX to get it out next year.

I'm sure we won't get any official date until Nintendo reveals what the hell the NX is, but the evidence for a 2016 release keeps piling up.

Vena

I share Y2Kev's opinion in that anything over $150 is a death wish. Nintendo has got to keep things cheap, especially if they want to ship that rumored 20 million in the first year.

150$ is more than enough for a Vita++++++ handheld at this point.

Terrell

First off, it needs to be clarified that DQXI was not confirmed for NX, but it is being taken into consideration. It's easy to parse such a statement as "based on what Nintendo's shown us on paper, we can do this. But Wii U looked better on paper, as well, so we're going to wait for a dev kit build and a confirmed release window before we make the final decision."

And the announcement seems to line up perfectly with what I suggested is likely to happen: Japanese 3rd-parties wanting to start a console multi-platform strategy in Japan that can carry over to the West and (to a lesser extent) Europe, so they can finally maximize their sales opportunities worldwide, unlike with multi-plats on Xbox consoles.

This isn't the last announcement we're likely to hear, either. Square Enix throwing their hat in this early is going to be something the rest of them pay attention to.

I feel greatly vindicated right now.

Having DQXI as a potential launch title is a pretty damn big deal, even if it's only a port.

It's funny though how this announcement doesn't actually tell us much about the NX as you would think because we have no idea which version of DQXI is being brought over.

Yep. A DQ title that isn't an MMO or spinoff at launch is a major talking point and sure to generate a lot of interest in the platform in Japan.

Its pretty crazy that games are being announced for what is currently only a codename.

Has this ever happened before? Was there games announced for Durango or Orbis?

It's happened once or twice, but it's not a frequent thing.

I guess the NX at the very least meets the minimum requirements for UE4.

Which means the less-than-$200 Nintendo box talk is over? Probably the best part of this news.

It supposed to cost less than wii u, right now it is official 300$(was 350$) selling at a loss and Wii was 250$ selling at a profit.Now tell me how they gonna manage to go at least with xbox one level power while costing at worst 250$ and maintening profitability(at least breaking even) and don´t get me even started with the new gimmick that needs a console that cost as low as possible so they can get people thinking "why not?".Or the fact that their hardware business cannot be allowed to become an eyesore when they gonna release 5 mobile games at the same fiscal year as their new hardware.

Wii U is no longer selling at a loss. It's part of the reason that their financials improved. I don't even know where to start with these misconceptions.

Miyamoto said very recently that wii u cost too much and right now it is 300$ it needs to cost less than that or are you expecting 299$?

It cost too much at launch for what it offered, definitely.

With he possibility of the PS4 version of DQXI being ported like that on NX (if it's not a downgrade, which is still possible, like a ps3 version for exemple), we're facing the real eventuality of a next gen capable nintendo home console.

I can only think.. How is it going to help them... That would be surprising if they adopt that strategy, cause they probably know that's not how they will make PS4 or XBO users to shift. They need something else.

But at least, as i said in the past, i'm 200% convinced artist teams at Nintendo are ready to unleash incredible things with that kind of power, and that's important. What i mean is, in the past, they've been sometimes in difficult situations to upgrade their graphics, cause everything had to be redone with so much more details (i think N64 to GC for exemple). Now they already have incredible models honestly, they've learned how to use modern shaders, modern light, they have great animations..

MK8 is so next gen ready. Keep the same direction, adds way more complex lighting, better textures, complex shaders, some motion blur.. You don't really have to update the models honestly (of course you can) and it'll look surrreal with a good iq.

How is a greater possibility of 3rd-party titles alongside better-looking Nintendo games not help to them? It's certainly not a hindrance, that's for sure. Add that to whatever else Nintendo opts to bring to the table and there's a chance to move the needle, even if it's only modestly at first.

Why should they do that for you?Did you buy animal crossing,mario kart,3d world,splatoon etc... maybe a few amiibo or at least do you use miiverse?Did you double dip on new 3ds?These are the people that needs catered first not ps4/xboxone/pc owner.

.... you realize you can cater to more than one audience, right? Especially when one of those audiences is as small as the current Nintendo console consumer.

Totally agree with this point, and I think Nintendo definitely started utilising the enthusiast audience in the last year or two with Wii U (DLC, Amiibo) in order to monetise them as much as possible. Your general PS4/XBO owner just isn't interested.

That's only 100% true if every PS4/XBO owner is a Sony or MS enthusiast. That's not to say that all of them would buy another console, but it doesn't dissuade that, depending on whatever else Nintendo brings to the table. This myth of a "locked-in" consumer is pretty ridiculous.

And that's all without talking about the people who haven't even bought a PS4 or XBO yet.

Next year is going to be truly interesting. Nintendo has their back to a wall right now. Let's see what they do, cotton.

It really is ramping up to be an intensely interesting year in 2016.

They did say Devil's Third wouldn't be published by Nintendo in America... and they were wrong, lol.
They also said the game sucks, and Famitsu said the game was good (kind of).

Can't really trust rumors anymore.

XSeed was likely going to publish it, until NoA changed their mind. Stumpokapow had heard the same thing.

The PC thing isn't that surprising to me (easy way to help salvage the money they've already spent). I am surprised about Nintendo publishing it. I had heard earlier in the year that XSeed was picking up western publishing, well before any of the published information that that effect. I took the latter as confirmation of what I had already heard. I wonder if the subsequent correction that Nintendo weren't going to publish the game but opted to later is accurate.

BuggyMike

Anyone know the highest specs they'd be able to hit at $250 on the home console? I know you cant know for sure but I'm wondering where the specs would be in comparison to the hd twins. I imagine the Wii U could have been pretty beefy at $300 if they didn't prioritize the controller and low power consumption/small form factor.

atbigelow

The Wii U can run UE4, so NX running it doesn't tell us much of anything about specs.

What it does tell us is that UE4 is probably up and running already on NX. Seems unlikely Square-Enix would be the ones doing that themselves. I think that's a much more interesting takeaway here.

There's alot between "competing w/ PS4 on specs" (which Miyamoto himself expressed disinterest in just in a recent E3 interview) and a $150 Netflix box.

Remember, we know for sure that the $150 rumor was inaccurate and that the box is more capable than Wii U. Speculate on...

NateDrake

The Wii U can run UE4, so NX running it doesn't tell us much of anything about specs.

What it does tell us is that UE4 is probably up and running already on NX. Seems unlikely Square-Enix would be the ones doing that themselves. I think that's a much more interesting takeaway here.

Officially the Wii U doesn't support UE4.

Terrell

The problem is if its $299 no one will buy it. They'll just buy a ps4. Same situation they're in right now with Wii U.

Not really. Instead of paying a similar amount for a last-gen console, they'd pay the same for a current-gen console. It's hardly the same situation.

That's not to say there's no challenges to that, but without knowing the full picture of what Nintendo plans to offer, it's a touch premature to say no one will buy something.

Has Nintendo ever done a hardware reveal/release in the same year?

Technically 3DS was. It was announced in March 2010, shown officially at E3 2010 and released in February of 2011, so announced and released all within 12 months.

Gamecube was also just over that marker, being released 13 months after its original non-codename unveiling.

Unseen64 twitter, which has been very reliable rumor source.

Seems like they are pretty reputable based the comments on neogaf and what press sites have to say about them. http://www.unseen64.net/

Unseen64 has publicly stepped away from the commentary of its individual contributors, and he's been pretty all over the place when it comes to this subject (not to mention avoiding discussing it in earnest) that what has been said amounts to nothing until it's elaborated on.

There's alot between "competing w/ PS4 on specs" (which Miyamoto himself expressed disinterest in just in a recent E3 interview) and a $150 Netflix box.

Remember, we know for sure that the $150 rumor was inaccurate and that the box is more capable than Wii U. Speculate on...

Please pull the quote.

schaft0620

What UE4 games are on the Wii U?

Wii U is no longer selling at a loss. It's part of the reason that their financials improved.

That's not necessarily confirmed. All we know is that because Nintendo dramatically overestimated Wii U sales back in the FY ended March 2014, they've already booked all their losses on Wii U hardware. I don't think Wii U has even met those estimates yet (they still haven't shipped the 2013-14 estimate of 9 million consoles between March 2013 and now) despite it being almost a year and a half later. Suffice to say that they aren't taking hardware losses, but that might not be because revenues have outpaced costs of sale (emphasis on might; we really have no idea since I believe they've been silent on this since then), it might be because of their accounting practices.

Iwata said:
With respect to the impact of Wii U hardware sales on profit and loss, in order to sell 3.60 million units, we have to produce some more hardware units on top of our current hardware inventory. However, since the loss arising due to the hardware production costs being higher than our trade price was taken into account in the previous fiscal year, you could assume that there will be almost no loss this fiscal year for the sales of the 3.60 million hardware units.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508qa/index.html

Please pull the quote.

Miyamoto said:
And the reason for that is that, No. 1, we like to do things that are unique and different from other companies, but we also don't want to just end up in a race to have the highest-tech specs in a competition to try to find how we get these expensive tech specs to the lowest price of the other systems. And so there's different ways that we can approach it, and sometimes we look at it just from the sense of offering a system that consumes less power and makes less noise and generates less heat, or sometimes we may look at the size of the media and the size of the system and where it fits within the home.
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...on-the-origins-of-nintendos-famous-characters
It's not.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171565826&postcount=302
That $150 rumor was not accurate.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=170396072

atbigelow

What UE4 games are on the Wii U?

Bloodstained is going to. As noted above, it is not officially supported on the Wii U, which is no surprise. Wii U doesn't have the hardware to make it an easy port and it's pretty much dead for third parties who would be looking for UE4 support.

But the point isn't about performance; you can't gleam much other than "yeah, UE4 is running on NX." And that is not a performance indicator with such little context.

jmizzal

Has Nintendo ever done a hardware reveal/release in the same year?

No but they have to do it this time, they are not about to go two E3's of showing off NX before launch, thats way too long.

And they are not likely to Launch NX any other time besides the Holiday season

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
time to sell your wii u while you can still can get some cash for it :)
knowing nintendo you can probably download all the games AGAIN

bachikarn

Bloodstained is going to. As noted above, it is not officially supported on the Wii U, which is no surprise. Wii U doesn't have the hardware to make it an easy port and it's pretty much dead for third parties who would be looking for UE4 support.

But the point isn't about performance; you can't gleam much other than "yeah, UE4 is running on NX." And that is not a performance indicator with such little context.

It does indicate though. Unless you think SE is dedicating resources to port UE4 to Nintendo. I think it is more likely it is powerful enough to run it natively.

Didn't someone port UE3 to Wii for a game?

Terrell

That Miyamoto quote really doesn't say that they're averse to a higher spec.

"And the reason for that is that, No. 1, we like to do things that are unique and different from other companies, but we also don't want to just end up in a race to have the highest-tech specs in a competition to try to find how we get these expensive tech specs to the lowest price of the other systems. And so there's different ways that we can approach it"

Using the word "just" is stating that it's all that their competition has been concerned with for several years, but also that it doesn't exclude them from ever offering that, just so long as it's not their only end goal.

So that quote tells us nothing new regarding Nintendo's design intentions, like almost every quote of its kind. They always make it quite clear that they're not against high-spec devices, only that it can't be the only thing you offer the consumer with the hardware.

That Miyamoto quote really doesn't say that they're averse to a higher spec.

"And the reason for that is that, No. 1, we like to do things that are unique and different from other companies, but we also don't want to just end up in a race to have the highest-tech specs in a competition to try to find how we get these expensive tech specs to the lowest price of the other systems. And so there's different ways that we can approach it"

He's just parroting the longtime philosophy advanced by Genyo Takeda, which is that game hardware isn't just about pushing the limits of performance but is also about finding a way to achieve efficiency for the consumer - the common analogy is about cars, where there's a lucrative, prestige-driven market for high-performance vehicles but most consumers just want a fuel-efficient, family-friendly vehicle that gets them around.

Nintendo obviously isn't going to fit with the high-performance market; they would be doing themselves (and the consumers who justify the direction they go with their games) a disservice by pursuing that direction. And Miyamoto isn't saying anything we haven't been hearing for the last 10 years.

ZOONAMI

I dunno, to me it seems like the most likely thing would be to ask amd for similiar chipset as ps4 or at the very least xb1. At least that's what I would do if I were a Nintendo exec. The process is mature and there would be less chances of bad yields, etc. You would think R&D would be much lower too. And then it would be good to have relative parity with the market.

D_prOdigy

I think the failure of the GamePad to capture the imagination of the market has resulted in a lot of people sleepwalking into the presumption that NX will just be a traditional gaming box with a traditional interface.

I'm not so convinced Nintendo is ready to shed its philosophy of looking for a unique hook - a 'gimmick' for want of a better word - to marry with affordable hardware

It's why I kind of think the price debate is a little moot.

I think they will go hunting for a hook again, whether it be controller, interface, or something more nuanced.

ZOONAMI

He's just parroting the longtime philosophy advanced by Genyo Takeda, which is that game hardware isn't just about pushing the limits of performance but is also about finding a way to achieve efficiency for the consumer - the common analogy is about cars, where there's a lucrative, prestige-driven market for high-performance vehicles but most consumers just want a fuel-efficient, family-friendly vehicle that gets them around.

Nintendo obviously isn't going to fit with the high-performance market; they would be doing themselves (and the consumers who justify the direction they go with their games) a disservice by pursuing that direction. And Miyamoto isn't saying anything we haven't been hearing for the last 10 years.

Yeah but a car analogy doesn't really make a lot of sense in the electronics space where the wattage difference is going to be pretty minimal, and you're still paying $350 instead of $400 upfront. It's not like a 20k car vs a $70k car and 40mpg vs 15mpg. You're also talking about transportation which is a relative necessity versus a videogame machine.

Sou Da

I think the failure of the GamePad to capture the imagination of the market has resulted in a lot of people sleepwalking into the presumption that NX will just be a traditional gaming box with a traditional interface.

I'm not so convinced Nintendo is ready to shed its philosophy of looking for a unique hook - a 'gimmick' for want of a better word - to marry with affordable hardware

It's why I kind of think the price debate is a little moot.

I think they will go hunting for a hook again, whether it be controller, interface, or something more nuanced.

Inject the Nintendo Ninites® into your bloodstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom