• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Sony Spider-Man spin-offs: Black Cat and Silver Sable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigorath

Banned
I mean, I don't expect any of these to see the light of day, but it's pretty annoying knowing this shit simply being "in development" is probably going to keep Venom and Black Cat out of the MCU.

There is literally no way that this will be the case long term. None.

Rothman has been playing Fiege this whole time.

First the animated film and now this.

I think Rothman will be out of a job soon.

phanphare

Banned
I have total faith in Sony to both release these movies and not totally fuck them up. Venom, too. they're all coming out and they're going to be great.

but I would pass out in hype if they announced like an "elseworlds" Spiderman 4 with Raimi/Maguire/Dunst back. and he has a kid too.
Thats kinda what i'd want and why im suggesting Raimi Spiderman for a Spiderverse movie.
It gives them an easy and non-confusing way to go back and build to a team up event movie for Sony's marketing purposes.

They can also borrow the best part of Amazing Spiderman(Gwen) and forget everything else about it.

Just imagine that as an after credits scene for Homecoming,
Spiderman swinging across the city as the Elfman theme kicks in.
Landing on a rooftop behind someone(Gwen) and then telling her of some situation on a specific Earth that they must help with.

I mean, I don't expect any of these to see the light of day, but it's pretty annoying knowing this shit simply being "in development" is probably going to keep Venom and Black Cat out of the MCU.
It makes me wonder what Spider-man characters the MCU actually has access to right now.

When I first heard Spider-man in MCU I had hoped to see all of Spider-man's side of the woods be fair game, not just Spider-man himself and whatever prominent enough characters Sony doesn't think they can milk on their own.

Jigorath

Banned
these spinoffs all sound like they'll be varying degrees of garbage. but I would pass out in hype if they announced like an "elseworlds" Spiderman 4 with Raimi/Maguire/Dunst back. and he has a kid too.

Man, I'd love to see Raimi do another comic movie. But after the production nightmare that was Spidey 3, I doubt he's interested in doing something like that again.

Sony Pictures doesn't have much of anything, so they're wringing the most out of what they do have.

If you want to do spin-offs:

Agent Venom
Spider-Man 2099
Black Cat

They weren't going to be in the MCU anyways, outside of potentially appearing in a Spider-Man film.

Fuck it. You do you Sony. Green light a Silk movie please.

Too bad Jessica Henwick is off the table.

Oh man, she would be great.

She would be a perfect Disney version of Mulan as well.

too bad? more like thank God.

none of the bad pussy sisters should be cast in major parts.

5734032-henwick+wing.jpg
Show would have been nearly unwatchable without her.

Tom Rothman also greenlit a movie about blue cat people in space that made almost three billion dollars.

That film was being pitched by a guy who previously made a movie about a historical tragedy that made two billion dollars. Greenlighting that film would be a no-brainer for most executives.

And while Rothman may have a decent track record at greenlighting films in other genres, he's repeatedly shown to be largely inept with superhero films in particular.

Vampfox

Banned
I would pay good money to see a middle aged Spider-Man movie with Tobey.
I'd love a "Renew Your Vows" movie.

I'm so sick of Teenage Spider-Man. The character was only in high school for 28 issues, and has been an adult for most of the history of the franchise.

Female superhero movies are always welcomed. Don't forget the tight costumes. I'm a bit tired of seeing blokes' asses in Marvel/DC movies, come to think of it. Marvel doesn't offer much in that regard, and Margot Robbie doesn't count.

That film was being pitched by a guy who previously made a movie about a historical tragedy that made two billion dollars. Greenlighting that film would be a no-brainer for most executives.

Sure, I was just pointing out one example. Tom Rothman's career at Fox was actually remarkably successful, but dude seemingly hated comic books or something and catches a lot of heat because of it.

Sony Pictures doesn't have much of anything, so they're wringing the most out of what they do have.

If you want to do spin-offs:

Agent Venom
Spider-Man 2099
Black Cat

Ive never even considered the possibility that spidey 2099 could appear in a movie. I still dont think it will ever happen, but now youve got me thinking about it. I'm a big Miguel fan.

I'm way behind on the comics, though. I just recently caught up on
Slott fucking ruining Ben Reilly
and I guess next I should hit up 2099 and civil war.

So let me make sure I have this correct:

The Venom movie has a writer and possibly a director, but no cast and the movie is due to come out in about 18 months.

All this movie has is a writer, nothing else including a release date.

We've technically known about the existence of both these movies (in addition to the supposed Sinister Six movie that would have either been ASM3 or a spin-off before the actual ASM3) since well before the Marvel deal. I said it in the Venom thread, but if Marvel wanted these movies dead, they would have been dead as part of the deal. It looks like Marvel Studios basically thinks that as long as they ignore these movies in the MCU continuity, it won't matter that they do (or don't) exist. I mean, you could argue that that's basically what they're doing with Marvel TV at the moment anyway.

All that being said, this movie isn't happening, and I'm not entirely sure I see the Venom movie actually happening either. And I'd bet money Rothman is out at Sony before the day the Venom movie is even supposed to be released.

Well, that's what I meant.

The Sony spinoffs would likely not change their ability to appear in Spider-Man films. That's the weird Venn diagram between Sony's stuff and Marvel's stuff.

Ive never even considered the possibility that spidey 2099 could appear in a movie. I still dont think it will ever happen, but now youve got me thinking about it. I'm a big Miguel fan.

I'm way behind on the comics, though. I just recently caught up on
Slott fucking ruining Ben Reilly
and I guess next I should hit up 2099 and civil war.

The choices I made were strategic.

Agent Venom is a straight-up action, espionage film with an older lead character. I'd drop Flash and just put in another character with the same premise: disabled former soldier serves his country by putting on a living suit that can potentially turn him evil.

Black Cat is a heist film and Sony gets to play up a female lead. I think she's far more sell-able than Silver Sable, and Silk is too close to Spider-Man. Detective Spider-Woman is a solid take, but I feel it treads too close to Jessica Jones.

Spider-Man 2099 hits three points: 1) you get to do a future sci-fi film, 2) you can cast a Hispanic lead, which will at least get you some solid press, 3) it opens up 2099, which Marvel will never touch.

antonz

Black Cat done right could be interesting. Not sure I have any faith in Sony doing it though especially if you are going to wall it off from Spider-Man. It doesn't need Spider-Man everywhere to be a success but the play off between the two is what even makes Black Cat memorable.

The Kree

Banned
Agent Venom is a straight-up action, espionage film with an older lead character. I'd drop Flash and just put in another character with the same premise: disabled former soldier serves his country by putting on a living suit that can potentially turn him evil.

Rhodey.

Maximus.

Sony needs to calm down and let Marvel do its thing to build up Spider-Man, instead of blowing its load and going all in with a new universe again. Couldn't properly figure it out the first two times, so why rush into making a new "universe" so fast.

Sesha

Marvel should do a bunch of Spidey spin-offs in phase 4 and 5 do stem the tide of Sony's insanity. Agent Venom, Araña, Black Cat, and Silk, for example. Make most of them smaller scale and smaller budget than the average MCU fare.

And if Sony really wants to do Spider-Man stuff without Marvel, they should at least do stuff that could be completely out of continuity, like Spider-Gwen and Spider-Man 2099.

I hope Feige knew this would happen.
I brought this up months ago: that no way a mere Spider-Man movie every 2 years would placate struggling Sony. All these spin-offs were bound to happen -- and they're as much in the MCU as Iron Fist or Agents of Shield

Alo0oy

Banned
I blame all the people that were shitting on the original trilogy, they were great movies (all 3 of them), the ASM was trash and deservedly so, and now the Spiderman universe is a mess.

There was so much more potential in the original trilogy. I wish they'd go back to that universe.

Vampfox

Banned
I blame all the people that were shitting on the original trilogy, they were great movies (all 3 of them), the ASM was trash and deservedly so, and now the Spiderman universe is a mess.

There was so much more potential in the original trilogy. I wish they'd go back to that universe.
Well said.

The original trilogy for all it's flaws has a lot of heart and soul to it more then most of today's superhero movies.

Having movies about these characters that exists outside of a cinematic universe (whether it be the MCU or whatever Spidey-universe Sony was trying to build before the deal) isn't an inherently bad idea. The article says that the movies come from the ideas from Sony's former Spider-verse idea they were throwing around during the ASM era, but doesn't explicitly say that the Venom movie and this one are connected. My issues with all of this mostly stem from the fact that I don't think Sony will get anyone interesting to work on them and they'll be bad movies more than from the fact that these aren't actually connected to the MCU.

I cannot believe Marvel signed the deal without securing a way to get Sony to stop this. Venom is awesome. He could be in the MCU. The Symbiote could be in Infinity War. Just be smart Sony.

This is gonna happen and will be awful and confusing.

Sesha

Dont't. SM3 made a ton of money. Raimi didn't want to do it, partly due to Sony shenanigans. Sony is ultimately to blame for rebooting, both times.

Glass Rebel

Such a dumb post completely twisting what actually happened to Raimi's Spider-Man. GTFO with this revisionist history shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom