• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morgan Stanley releases speculative analysis about Nintendo's NX business

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Wouldn't be all that new:

OxdAHfB.png

(Actually, what was the stock code of the Pokemon Mini? Like how the Game Boy was DMG?)

The handheld was MIN-001, games started with L-MIN.

Is there a list of Nintendo Codenames?

Wii U= Project Cafe
Wii= Revolution
Gamecube= Dolphin

I dont even know a single of the handheld ones...

I didn't say that there is something wrong with controlled leaks. They can be a very efficient marketing tool. But Nintendo barely uses the normal marketing tools since last E3. So going now skip passed that directly to controlled leak seems quite outlandish.
What do you define as normal marketing tools? Nintendo still uses E3, but just in a different way than they used to. They still use TV advertising. And online advertising. What bearing does this have on whether or not they'll do a controlled leak?

AmyS

Is there a list of Nintendo Codenames?

Wii U= Project Cafe
Wii= Revolution
Gamecube= Dolphin

I dont even know a single of the handheld ones...

Nintendo 64 = Project Reality

3DS = CTR, 3DS

Nintendo DS = Iris, Nitro

Game Boy Advance = Advanced Game Boy

Game Boy Advance Predecessor = Project Atlantis (not released)

Virtual Boy = Virtual Utopia Experience (I didn't know that one)

Game Boy Color = Color Game Boy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_codenames
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance

Schnozberry

Yeah, Morgan Stanley.....they don't have the best track record with this stuff. This was probably sourced from one of their analysts hearing from one of his many uncles that works for Nintendo. It's like a Forbes contributor.

Pejo

NX = New Xenoblade
MH = Monster Hunter

Each console will come pre-baked with those games like the old Tiger Electric games. You no longer buy consoles, you buy games with a built in console.

Einhander

Nintendo should get out of the console space, and just continue making new handhelds. Not only do their handhelds sell better (though it can be argued that their stranglehold on the dedicated gaming handheld market is dwindling), but many Japanese third party games get made on them. But they will stubbornly move forward, and make a new console. If NX's sales are as abysmal as Wii U's, then they need to take the hint and bow out.

Eolz

Nintendo should get out of the console space, and just continue making new handhelds. Not only do their handhelds sell better (though it can be argued that their stranglehold on the dedicated gaming handheld market is dwindling), but many Japanese third party games get made on them. But they will stubbornly move forward, and make a new console. If NX's sales are as abysmal as Wii U's, then they need to take the hint and bow out.

And go third party on the other consoles, right? ;)

Einhander

Why buy Nintendo's handheld when you can buy Nintendo games on other consoles? It's: A) a terrible business decision and: B) never gonna happen.

Last I checked, Nintendo first party games aren't the only games on their handhelds. Playing first party games isn't the only reason to playing on a handheld. There is also the portability feature that people like.

Vena

They can exist as both a handheld manufacturer and a third party developer for console games.

This is a stupid idea and short-sighted as well. They'd just stop wasting money on console developed games all together, focus entirely on handhelds, and then branch their IPs to other media and continue with their weird mobile off-shoots. They're not going to start paying Sony and Microsoft or Steam any royalties on ever-more expensive to make console titles while also spreading their IP to products that they don't control. They will do that with mobile.

Einhander

This is a stupid idea and short-sighted as well. They'd just stop wasting money on console developed games all together, focus entirely on handhelds, and then branch their IPs to other media and continue with their weird mobile off-shoots. They're not going to start paying Sony and Microsoft or Steam any royalties on ever-more expensive to make console titles while also spreading their IP to products that they don't control. They will do that with mobile.

Either way, they are burning through money on R&D and manufacturing of NX if it sells horribly like Wii U, going on their current set path. Maybe it is better if they focused on their handhelds only, in addition to merchandise and production of Nintendo themed TV series.

Have you been paying much attention to 3DS' sales trends? I'd say they're maybe 4-5 years from the point where Vita/Wii U numbers are all that's left of the dedicated handheld market.

Unless the NX handheld pulls off a miracle and makes having to buy and carry around a second portable device to play expensive games more appealing to the masses than mobile, it's far more likely that they'd exit the hardware business entirely.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Last I checked, Nintendo first party games aren't the only games on their handhelds. Playing first party games isn't the only reason to playing on a handheld. There is also the portability feature that people like.

I know I'd hate not having anything to play Ace Attorney on. :/

AmyS

Serkan Toto said:
Update:

That Morgan Stanley Japan note on Nintendo does NOT mean a portable console or the name "MH" is confirmed. They are picturing a scenario.

2) Such "rich" forward-looking analysis and also the wording is standard in investor notes. I know because I read *tons* of them ;).]

So, they completely envisioned (re:made up) something called MH and it does not mean it's a portable / handheld system ?

Can you elaborate a bit?

It's neither.

Statements so far imply NX: global platform, not a console/handheld.

Kimishima has made that clear by saying that NX wouldn't be another Wii U or 3DS.

MH most likely stands for Mobile Hardware, the handheld "component" of the NX platform.

We don't know that. We don't know anything at all.

AmyS

Ah, just noticed the title change.

Edit:

Arstechnica:

Is “MH” Nintendo’s next handheld? There’s reason to doubt it

A new report out of Japan could be the first indication of a new handheld console in the pipeline for Nintendo, with the codename "MH." But despite some breathless reports on the news, there is reason for skepticism.

The rumor mill got churning this time thanks to off-handed mention in a report from the business analysts at Mitsubishi UFJ Morgan Stanley (published in Japanese here and here). A couple of translations of that report predict that future economic growth for Nintendo through the 2020 fiscal year will be driven by "the next generation game console NX and next generation portable game console MH (Tentative title) [or (temporary name), depending on the translation]."

The translated wording certainly seems certain enough, and the specificity of the codename suggests an actual product in the works at Nintendo rather than mere speculation. Still, it's pretty odd that the first public mention of a major new hardware initiative at Nintendo would come in an aside in a business analyst's note rather than from Nintendo itself.

Consider that Nintendo has been vaguely talking up its next home console, codenamed NX, for over a year now, getting well ahead of subsequent leaks and rumors about its design. Nintendo's first mention of the Wii's successor came in April of 2011, well before the first concrete rumors about the Wii U hit the Web. And Nintendo talked about its upcoming "Revolution" console (which would become the Wii) back at E3 2004, well before its late 2006 launch (and well before serious speculation about it had leaked to the press or business analysts).

Then again, Japanese press leaks about the 3DS in early 2010 practically forced Nintendo to hastily announce that system's existence to the world, seemingly before it was ready. Still, those leaks were driven by reported information from parts suppliers and included more details than a mere codename.

There's also some reason to think that NX, and not "MH," might already encompass Nintendo's future portable plans.

A Wall Street Journal report from last October suggested the NX would be a TV-based/portable console hybrid of sorts. Then, in December, a Nintendo patent application surfaced showing a potential handheld console design with a curved touchscreen. Everyone assumed this was a glimpse into the already announced NX, but could that patent actually be the rumored "MH"?
We tend to doubt it. More likely, the analysts at Mitsubishi UFJ Morgan Stanley are simply predicting that Nintendo is planning to release a new portable system in the next few years (and have given it their own codename for reference). It's a relatively safe assumption, since Nintendo has released new portable hardware on a relatively consistent cycle every few years since 1989.

The rest, here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/is-mh-nintendos-next-handheld-theres-reason-to-doubt-it/

test_account

XP-39C²
It's neither.

Statements so far imply NX: global platform, not a console/handheld.

Kimishima has made that clear by saying that NX wouldn't be another Wii U or 3DS.

MH most likely stands for Mobile Hardware, the handheld "component" of the NX platform.
Mobile hardware sounds very plausible i think, i agree.

The 2 remaining Sony vita fans are foaming by their mouths now
What about the 3DS fans that always had to respond to those who wished for MH on Vita? :p

Top Bottom