• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mormon/Ex-Mormon Thread of 3 hour blocks and salvation flowcharts

ronito

So let's give this a try.
Seeing as how being mormon/ex-mo is more than just a religion it's really a cultural thing I figured we might as well make a thread for us to discuss our experiences and goings on with the church.

What this thread is for
- Discuss Mormon religion/culture
- Discuss mormon/ex mo experiences.
- Field genuine questions about mormonism
- Discuss conversion/deconversion stories

What this thread is not for
- None of this "herp derp" mormonism is a crazy religion." Yeah we know. But then so too is every other religion.
- A trolling place for athiests
- A trolling place in general

Let's see if we can something nice.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't have high confidence for the concept of this thread, but Jeff-DSA can rest easy knowing that I won't be paying close attention.

I may as well begin with a very basic question.

In what way is Mormonism different from other religions? What is the ethos or tenants of Mormonism?

Jeff-DSA

Hitokage said:
I don't have high confidence for the concept of this thread, but Jeff-DSA can rest easy knowing that I won't be paying close attention.

I like discussion with you, actually. Getting a bit riled up is just part of the deal.

ronito

Hitokage said:
Truth be told neither do I. But the BYU thread went pretty well. I didn't have high hopes for the christian thread either. We'll see.

Fusebox

Banned
ronito said:
What this thread is not for
- None of this "herp derp" mormonism is a crazy religion." Yeah we know. But then so too is every other religion.
- A trolling place for athiests
- A trolling place in general

Can we at least ask about some of their more bizarre beliefs, like the idea that Jesus visited America and the idea that the Garden of Eden was in North America?

Jeff-DSA

Sutton Dagger said:

In what way is Mormonism different from other religions? What is the ethos or tenants of Mormonism?

There's lots of differences, but the basic differences that are most notable is that Mormons believe in continued revelation from God via a living prophet, that priesthood authority must be traced back to Christ in a direct line, that the church is a restored church of what Jesus Christ established while on earth but fell away into apostasy, and that the Bible isn't the only existing scripture that God has revealed to man.

Edit: But the core of Mormonism is quite similar to most Christian churches. Christ is our Savior and Redeemer and we worship Him.

Another big difference...

- God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are 3 separate beings. God the Father and Jesus Christ have bodies, the Holy Ghost is a spirit personage.

Ex-Mormon checking in. Even though I'm an atheist now and don't believe in Mormonism, I don't think Mormonism is anywhere near as cultish and bizarre as a lot of people make it out to be. In my experience, Mormons are pretty normal.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Mormons I've worked with have very clean language. They are like white washed personas from the 1950s. Sometimes they make me realize how polluted my language is by pop culture when I have to explain the contextual meaning of some things that I say. Really nice people, haven't brought religion up so whatever (you can tell someone's mormon when they're from BYU, a 23 year old new hire, won't touch alcohol, and already have 2+ kids).

Ex-mormons on the other hand let loose with the language, alcohol usage but seem to try to stay part of the church in a cultural way, but it seems like sometimes they can't even do that.

This is just my second hand experience. I know we've got plenty of mormons on the forum.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
How many dudes did you know who had multiple wives?!
Is it true that you guys got magic underwear?!
Did you ever see anyone looking into a hat for revelations?!

These are half serious questions.

Fusebox

Banned
Trent Strong said:
In my experience, Mormons are pretty normal.

No doubt, but to the outside observer Mormonism can come across like a blatant combination of Christianity + American Patriotism.

It's like John Smith just retconned the entire bible because it didn't mention America enough.

sphagnum

Banned
I've gotten really fascinated with Mormonism recently, from a historical perspective. I think it's one of the more interesting parts of 19th century American history.

I guess this question would apply more to Mormons than ex-Mormons, but what's your opinion on some of the more colorful aspects of the Mormon mythos (I don't mean myth in a bad way, I just can't think of a better word...backstory I guess?) like the Book of Abraham, or what happened to the Jews who came over to the Americas?

TaeOH

Sutton Dagger said:

Very similar to Islam in the sense that they believe in the Judeo-Christian God, but that their prophet takes precedence over Christ and has received the final revelation of God. From what I can tell, the doctrine is close enough to protestantism that many assume a Mormon is a Christian. But that may come down to differing opinions of what being a Christian means.

Also some would call it the American Religion.

This is my very basic description. Not intended to offend anyone.

Jeff-DSA

Mickey Avalon said:
What's are the differences between Latter Day Saints and Mormons, or are they just different names for the same thing?

Same thing. Mormons are what we're called because we believe in the Book of Mormon. The official name of the church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. LDS, or Latter Day Saints is how members refer to themselves as we consider the term "saint" to mean a member of the church of Jesus Christ.

Got some Utah Mormons in the extended family (cousins by marriage). They aren't doing so well. 3+ kids for both of them before the age of 25. One is divorced from her husband and raising them solo. Their youngest sister has turned into a raging bigot.

One of my best friends is Mormon, she cool.

Jeff-DSA

TaeOH said:
Very similar to Islam in the sense that they believe in the Judeo-Christian God, but that their prophet takes precedence over Christ and has received the final revelation of God. From what I can tell, the doctrine is close enough to protestantism that many assume a Mormon is a Christian. But that may come down to differing opinions of what being a Christian means.

Also some would call it the American Religion.

This is my very basic description. Not intended to offend anyone.

Nothing takes precedence over Christ's word. The prophet, we believe, receives revelation directly from Christ today. So in essence, the prophet is just continuing Christ's instructions.

Jeff-DSA said:
There's lots of differences, but the basic differences that are most notable is that Mormons believe in continued revelation from God via a living prophet, that priesthood authority must be traced back to Christ in a direct line, that the church is a restored church of what Jesus Christ established while on earth but fell away into apostasy, and that the Bible isn't the only existing scripture that God has revealed to man.

Edit: But the core of Mormonism is quite similar to most Christian churches. Christ is our Savior and Redeemer and we worship Him.

- God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are 3 separate beings. God the Father and Jesus Christ have bodies, the Holy Ghost is a spirit personage.

Thanks for the general outline.

So is Joseph Smith Jr revered like Jesus (as a Prophet)?

Is there any evidence to support the claims made by Mormons?

TaeOH

Jeff-DSA said:

Did not realize Mormanism was a form of Arianism.

giga

Are the Utah Jazz cheerleaders/dancers mostly Mormon or are there only a few? How common is interracial dating?

I'd just like to throw this in: I have a few Mormon friends, and frankly they are the nicest people I know. My scout group would meet at the local church and from my time around them I can say that they get a lot of unfair hate.

Jeff-DSA

ethic said:
If I see a girl on Trax that has a CTR ring, and I'm not mormon, do I stand a chance?

Depends. My mom married my dad while he was Catholic. He eventually became a member when we were kids, however. But while she dated him and in the early years of their marriage, he had no interest in the church.

PushTheButtonMax said:
I'd just like to throw this in: I have a few Mormon friends, and frankly they are the nicest people I know. My scout group would meet at the local church and from my time around them I can say that they get a lot of unfair hate.

Well, a lot of mormons got a bad rap thanks to the bigoted ones who helped support Prop 8.

TaeOH

Jeff-DSA said:
Nothing takes precedence over Christ's word. The prophet, we believe, receives revelation directly from Christ today. So in essence, the prophet is just continuing Christ's instructions.

Fair enough. Although you should also understand that I do not believe your prophet speaks the words of Christ and therefore should be able to understand why I made my statement. I admit it was probably careless wording though.

Devolution said:
Well, a lot of mormons got a bad rap thanks to the bigoted ones who helped support Prop 8.

And the polygamist house that was in West Texas.

Although the religion was founded on polygamy. Brigham Young had 19 wives and Joseph Smith had quite a few as well

I don't feel comfortable with Mormonism because:

- lighter skin = less sin previously, darker skin, more sin. Sounds pretty racist. Not exactly seeing a lot of black preists around.

- polygamy is something 'north America isn't currently ready for', but was an important aspect in the early days of it's founding. So...what...it's basically just temporarily removed for now?

- more children = better afterlife or whatever. Sounds like just a bullshit thing made up to grow your religion exponentially. "hey, you'll be a god if you have tons of children and teach them Mormonism"

- Mormons in my experience tend to refer people to other Mormon businesses. Fair enough. I've had bad experiences with Mormon dentists recommending unneeded dental procedures to me and friends that were wholly unnecessary (after getting second and third opinions)

So, real talk, how far off the mark are these precepts?

Oh, and on a positive nots, I've found them to be great community members and family focused, so it's more the religion I'm concerned with.

giga

perfectchaos007 said:
And the polygamist house that was in West Texas
Oxt0D.jpg

ronito

Fusebox said:
Can we at least ask about some of their more bizarre beliefs, like the idea that Jesus visited America and the idea that the Garden of Eden was in North America?

I mean, it just seems like such a blatant construct of Christianity and American Patriotism, is there any evidence of Jesus being anywhere near America?
Let me state this in the beginning. I am certainly not a practicing mormon. I'd call myself exmormon, but that doesn't feel right. I was raised Mormon and it's just ingrained into my being.

That being said. I never got this whole "Jesus went to America?! What a weird belief!!"

I mean it's like

Heal the sick?
Ok
Cause the blind to see?
Sure
Walk on water?
no problem
Raise the dead and was resurrected?
Why not?!
Went to america?
ARE YOU CRAZY??!!

Yeah it's a main pillar of mormonism the belief that Jesus came to America. That's very much true. Now the Garden of Eden being in America (Missouri to be exact) was something claimed/prophesied by Joseph Smith and is one of those things people don't much talk about. One of those "Kolob" kinda thing. Some people are real gung-ho about the belief, others don't care, others don't believe it.

ronito said:
Let me state this in the beginning. I am certainly not a practicing mormon. I'd call myself exmormon, but that doesn't feel right. I was raised Mormon and it's just ingrained into my being.

That being said. I never got this whole "Jesus went to America?! What a weird belief!!"

I mean it's like

Heal the sick?
Ok
Cause the blind to see?
Sure
Walk on water?
no problem
Why not?!
Went to america?
ARE YOU CRAZY??!!

As someone not from the USA, I think the rest of the world sees it as an example of stereotypical 'American arrogance'.

The USA not mentioned in The Bible?! Fuck that, we'll start our own religion where America was Jesus's holiday home!

I'm not trying to be ignorant, I just don't think Europeans in general know a lot about Mormonism and that's the general consensus. That and polygamy.
Speaking of Mormons and polygamy, is Big Love good?

I've lived around Mormons most of my life (Salt Lake City). I still can't really explain them if you asked me. I'm agnostic and don't pretend to know or care much about religion... But they range from totally normal people to mega fucking weird. Definitely some of the most sheltered people I've had the chance living around.

Forgot to add, my mom is an ex-mormon, she couldn't stand the racist shit in the church back in the day. Never went back either, since she said something about how they're not overtly hateful, but just as much regressive as many other religion institutions. When the Prop 8 stuff happened she wasn't at all surprised.

Fusebox

Banned
ronito said:

I mean it's like

Heal the sick?
Ok
Cause the blind to see?
Sure
Walk on water?
no problem
Why not?!
Went to america?
ARE YOU CRAZY??!!

True, but that's a little simple, I think a lot of the focus on that issue is because of the timeframe in which it occurred:

"Heal the sick?
Ok
Cause the blind to see?
Sure
Walk on water?
no problem
Why not?!"

3500 years later an American adds...

"Hey guys, he also went to America!"

It just seems such a blatantly obviously retcon.

Trurl

Banned
As an atheist with no intention of converting, would it be cool to attend a service at a local Mormon temple out of curiosity?

I was raised Mormon. Baptized, priesthood, seminary, everything until I was 18. When I went to college I kind of fell away. Since October the local missionaries have been visiting me every week. They're cool guys and fun to talk to, but I'm not entirely sure I want to start going back. It would be nice as there's a singles ward in my area so for social events I could definitely meet some new people and since I don't drink or party anyway I wouldn't feel out of place or like I'm missing something.

I have nothing against the LDS church and still believe in God and everything, but I don't really like religion in general. If I was religious my beliefs would probably still be closest to LDS. I still correct a lot of my friends and answer questions they have on misnomers about Mormons. I can probably explain some stuff as a kind of neutral party, so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

EDIT:
Trurl said:
As an atheist with no intention of converting, would it be cool to attend a service at a local Mormon temple out of curiosity?

It would probably be better if you went to a church/ward meeting. Visiting the temple is okay if you want information but the majority of temple activities are restricted to baptized members of the church. Going to a Sunday meeting at a church would give you a better idea of things. Most wards are welcome to all visitors, at least that's been my experience.

Trurl said:

Maybe at a church? I think they have all kinds of strict rules about entering temples... hells if I know. When I was kid if I wanted to sleep over at my one friend's place on Saturday his mom required I went to church with them Sunday morning. I only slept over there one Saturday and never again...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Trurl said:
You can attend weekly Sacrament Meetings at any local church building, but temple services are strictly for members with clerical approval.

Mickey Avalon

Neo Member
Why are Mormons so insistent on trying to get other people to join their church? I've had them come knock on my front door several times and there's always pairs of them walking around my university campus stopping people to try to get them to sign up. I was approached by two of them once and had to politely tell them I wasn't interested about a half dozen times before they stopped asking me questions.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
speculawyer said:
Can you please explain the in-jokes in the subject line?
Sunday meetings are three hours long, not including other meetings that may also happen on Sunday.

Also, the mormon path to heaven is outlined in a multi-stage flowchart.

Mickey Avalon said:
Why are Mormons so insistent on trying to get other people to join their church? I've had them come knock on my front door several times and there's always pairs of them walking around my university campus stopping people to try to get them to sign up. I was approached by two of them once and had to politely tell them I wasn't interested about a half dozen times before they stopped asking me questions.

Shrug. You should try living in Salt Lake. Every time I move to a area with a different ward I have to endure the missionaries for weeks. I really don't get the door to door salesman shit they do. I would think it would turn off the majority of people they talk to, but what do I know.

Fusebox said:
No doubt, but to the outside observer Mormonism can come across like a blatant combination of Christianity + American Patriotism.

It's like John Smith just retconned the entire bible because it didn't mention America enough.

The thing is: if Jesus was really God or the son of God, you'd expect him to go to every continent in the world to teach people what God's will was. You wouldn't just expect him to go to the middle east, you'd expect him to go to the America's, China, Africa, etc. (Not that he'd only go to the Americas, or that the Book of Mormon is real of course.)

Jeff-DSA said:

His probably more interested in the more controversial teachings. Like the idea that the God we worship was once a man on a different planet, and that every man has the potential to become a God himself in the afterlife.

Commodore

Fusebox said:
True, but that's a little simple, I think a lot of the focus on that issue is because of the timeframe in which it occurred:

"Heal the sick?
Ok
Cause the blind to see?
Sure
Walk on water?
no problem
Why not?!"

3500 years later an American adds...

"Hey guys, he also went to America!"

It just seems such a blatantly obviously retcon.

The idea is more along the lines of: He loves everyone. Jesus, as portrayed doesn't think in terms of nations, he tends to treat everyone as equals. So why would it not seem consistent that'd he'd stop by over there after he was resurrected and hug and teach everyone other there?

Hitokage said:
Sunday meetings are three hours long, not including other meetings that may also happen on Sunday.

Also, the mormon path to heaven is outlined in a multi-stage flowchart.

Wow. Cool. No wonder so many Mormons make good programmers.

PS-GE1.jpg

PS-Mis1.jpg

Mickey Avalon said:

Missionaries for the Mormon church go on their missions for two years. Literally the only job they have is to teach the LDS gospel and try to get converts. For two years. No internet, no television, they don't get to go to movies, no video games.

That's probably why they try so hard, some of them are just happy to find people to talk to and don't slam the door in their face.

Again, this is from my experience in my area, I'm not sure how pushy missionaries are in other areas of the world.

Top Bottom