• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most of my Chinese-American friends in CA are voting for Trump, mainly for education

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can change it to a poor Chinese kid and he's still out of luck though.

No he's not just as out of luck. I help out with my alma mater recruiting. Profiles of applicants that had to overcome obstacles such as poverty are more compelling.

Now as people are saying there should also be a way to denote which specific "type of Asian" since universities might not have a lot of Korean students and that would be a focus area to recruit more; as well as the different societal aspects of being Korean vs etc.

ezrarh

Terrible decisions by your friends. With that being said, I do think there are concerns with the overarching Asian American labels. Groups having varying level of advantages depending on where you came from. That being said, I'm marrying a Mexican woman so when my kids apply to college they can put Latino. And when they apply for bank loans, they can put Asian.

pretty much the sad truth. I see a lot of my Chinese co-workers supporting Trump and I can't facepalm hard enough. it's mostly the whole "Clinton will let all the blacks and Hispanics run amok" fear thing since a lot of them are closet (or not so closet) racist. plus Trump tend to attract the same type of people like him; the superficial, selfish and self center kinda person, which sadly is a pretty large portion of us sometimes. they see a famous guy with the image of success making all sorta promises even thou he has nothing to back it up, and they see Clinton as someone who'll rise tax, so they'll support Trump because god forbid they might need to make a little less and actually have to pay more for the benefit of the society as a whole. I know quite a few people who think Obama is terrible because now they're forced to pay for medical insurance instead of not paying jack before and hope to god they don't have any accidents. and a lot of them also see Trump not paying tax and such as, like he said, good business or smart, since there are a lot of these folks who'll go through loopholes and exploits to cut down on what they need to pay the government.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Your friends are statistically an aberration.

CuAde0dXEAArRB9.jpg

Yeah seriously. My anecdotal evidence, and this actual evidence, annihilates OP's.

Flo_Evans

Even if we had free college in the US, AA would still be necessary because college's still need to accept students, and not all colleges have equal standards

I really don't think its necessary in an ideal world where you can go and study whatever interests you. You want to be a doctor? You can go and study medicine and if you can't hack it you don't get a medical degree.

Hopefully in this future utopia a medical degree =/= $$$, as no one would need a job, college would just be a place of research and learning to further human development and understanding.

I disagree. Also most people can achieve an higher education. It's an issue for certain people that they didn't get into Yale, but they got into their state school.

People can't face the fact that their application is bland.

One example let's imagine two demographics are applying for Yale:

Chinese-American
Wealthy
4.0 GPA out of 5.0 GPA (took 20+ AP courses)
Simple community service
No job experience (they are wealthy so they did not have to get a job)
Graduated from a top tier high school
(300+ applicants that fit this profile)

vs

Latina
Lower-Middle Class
4.0 GPA out of 5.0 GPA (took 3 AP courses because that is all her school offered)
A lot of community service (active in her local church which helped her stay focus in life)
Some job experience (had to buy her own luxury items)
Graduated from a poor performing school district
(~50 applicants that fit this profile)

Top tier universities (think top 30 within any given year) care about seeing an underdog story and they do not want to get the same narrative in their starting classes. Diversity of thought is extremely valuable for recruiting departments.

If you're going to stereotype an Asian applicant, do it right....you forgot plays the piano, plays tennis and community service at a hospital/local soup kitchen.

From the OP this sounds more like a local issue as oppossed to a federal one. Which means they should focus on CA elections rather than taking it out on Clinton.

I'm definilty sympathetic to asians in reguards to their greviences towards AA but voting for Trump just for this? Yeah they can fuck off with that. Thankfully there's no way in hell Trump will win California reguardless.

I really don't think its necessary in an ideal world where you can go and study whatever interests you. You want to be a doctor? You can go and study medicine and if you can't hack it you don't get a medical degree.

Hopefully in this future utopia a medical degree =/= $$$, as no one would need a job, college would just be a place of research and learning to further human development and understanding.

The issue is that we only have a certain amount of infrastructure for colleges, and adding more people to a college costs money and resources. Nowhere in the world does everyone get to go to college for free regardless of their educational accomplishments before college. Many places in Europe have free college, but it can work because there are other options beyond college that are considered viable paths to a good life, and so the percentage of people going to higher education is lower.

TLDR; It would be nice, but we don't have the resources and infrastructure for every person who wants to attend a college to do so

If you're going to stereotype an Asian applicant, do it right....you forgot plays the piano, plays tennis and community service at a hospital/local soup kitchen.
Lol how could I forget all of that.

Still doesn't add much to an application (assuming once again the community service is at the mark to make it even relevant).

Most top universities are moderately liberal, I like to think that there are mini-Anderson Coopers reading everyone applications.

"Oh look Stephen here has been playing the piano since he was 3. How luxurious."

I don't see why you can't vote against the Amendment and vote against Trump.

Well you can't vote for the amendment because it's not on the ballet. In fact, it hasn't been brought up in the assembly or senate since 2014.

Don't really understand why his friends are voting for a single issue that isn't currently an issue.

Al-ibn Kermit

I disagree. Also most people can achieve an higher education. It's an issue for certain people that they didn't get into Yale, but they got into their state school.

People can't face the fact that their application is bland.

One example let's imagine two demographics are applying for Yale:

Chinese-American
Wealthy
4.0 GPA out of 5.0 GPA (took 20+ AP courses)
Simple community service
No job experience (they are wealthy so they did not have to get a job)
Graduated from a top tier high school
(300+ applicants that fit this profile)

vs

Latina
Lower-Middle Class
4.0 GPA out of 5.0 GPA (took 3 AP courses because that is all her school offered)
A lot of community service (active in her local church which helped her stay focus in life)
Some job experience (had to buy her own luxury items)
Graduated from a poor performing school district
(~50 applicants that fit this profile)

Top tier universities (think top 30 within any given year) care about seeing an underdog story and they do not want to get the same narrative in their starting classes. Diversity of thought is extremely valuable for recruiting departments.

That's funny and all too true. You see a lot of upper middle class people in the bay area who believe that the world is unfair to them.

I went to UC Santa Cruz which wasn't the highest ranked university that I got accepted in to but I chose it because it was close enough to my family that I could still visit my little brother once a month. Yet there were a lot of students (including ones I tutored) who hated being at there "safety school" and wanted to transfer as though that would make any difference. Despite the fact that they let their GPA become garbage and had no interest in doing research/internships beyond how it would look to med schools.

Funny thing is everyone I know who graduated with a good GPA and Letter of Rec is doing great in their careers while those who bitched about the system couldn't even get started.

I think the OPs friends just have fucked up priorities when it comes to trying to get into their top schools.

Single Issue voting can be terrifying

People should have realized that when Bernie was still an available option. Many people aren't voting for Trump. They are voting for Not Hillary.

As a Chinese American, I am well aware of the racism that goes on in the selection process at elite universities and the reality is that they are trying to straight up put a cap on the number of Asians admitted and have been for decades.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Every group that has an advantage, no matter race or color, will have people supporting the status quo in the face of progressing to a more equal society.

Just as there are white people that are against Affirmative Action, there are Asian people that are against it when it is a disadvantage to them. Same would happen to any other race. Some people hold more of a component for human selfishness and self/familial protection than others.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The thing that gets me as someone of partially asian descent is how does this at all work in their minds. When you have someone who bags on basically every kind of minority but hasn't touched on your particular group yet it doesn't mean you're safe or immune, it just means he hasn't gotten to you yet. A person who relies on scape goats is always going to need a new one and its only a matter of time till your particular group;s collective set of heads goes up on the chopping block.

entremet

Affirmative action is a bad solution to a bad problem IMHO. Making higher education a competition instead of a right is at the root of it.

Prestige is the issue here. There are many colleges, but they're not the same nor do the confer the same advantages.

I know of a kid who studied a crap major (According the STEM disciples on GAF) and landed a nice Wall Street job since he had access to Ivy League recruiters, many from prestigious firms.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
People should have realized that when Bernie was still an available option. Many people aren't voting for Trump. They are voting for Not Hillary.

Not the people OP is talking about.

And seriously...this has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Go wave the Sanders flag elsewhere.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
So... they're willing to shit the national bed for something relatively local? I don't care how much education you have. That's fucking idiotic.

Aurongel

So... they're willing to shit the national bed for something relatively local? I don't care how much education you have. That's fucking idiotic.
Voting for your best interests is idiotic?

People vote for selfish reasons, always have and always will.

Somnid

Trump has 0 to do with this. He won't even address it, they have to vote for local politicians, not the president. Had he even been aware of it he would probably push to decrease the threshold of Chinese because his platform is strongly anti-Chinese. Doesn't matter anyway, the way the system is set up, Republican votes in California are not counted toward Republican presidents because of winner-take-all.

The saying that "all politics is local" is a tenet of politics that is frequently ignored by politicians who by all rights should know better.

ReaperXL7

Unfortunetly I know quite a few Cubans here in south Florida that are going to vote for Trump also. It's always been interesting to me that most of the Cubans I have ever met are republican and I always assumed it was due to the religious aspects.

California is Democrat stronghold. Their votes won't win it for Trump. Hilldawg has Cali on lockdown

Their votes for Trump aren't going to count anyway. They'd be better spent on anyone else as a rejection of this type of candidate.

Ok. It literally doesn't matter because CA is 100% guaranteed to Hillary. Unless of course you're talking about 9 million friends (18 million registered voters in CA according to http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_show.asp?i=526).

the big issue isn't the presidential ticket given that Clinton's likely to win CA by 30, it's (presumably) downticket where there's a fuckton of marginal House races

FStop7

Banned
Unfortunetly I know quite a few Cubans here in south Florida that are going to vote for Trump also. It's always been interesting to me that most of the Cubans I have ever met are republican and I always assumed it was due to the religious aspects.

it's because republicans are traditionally anti-castro, too

ksan

you have to have a severe case of idioty(? 😂) to vote for a guy you acknowledge as racist and an abhorrent piece of shit as president for a state issue

Voting for your best interests is idiotic?

People vote for selfish reasons, always have and always will.

That doesn't make it right. People focusing only on their own specific issues at the cost of everyone else's mostly what's wrong with the world. It's just as selfish as those who vote based solely on religious grounds.

Lesath

I uh, understand that a lot of GAF hasn't ever met an Asian in real life before, but can we not take some rando's friends as a representative sample of the Asian-American population? Thanks.

Every group that has an advantage, no matter race or color, will have people supporting the status quo in the face of progressing to a more equal society.

Just as there are white people that are against Affirmative Action, there are Asian people that are against it when it is a disadvantage to them. Same would happen to any other race. Some people hold more of a component for human selfishness and self/familial protection than others.

To add to your point.

http://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...-and-the-future-of-affirmative-action/489023/

Traditionally one of affirmative action’s biggest beneficiaries—so much so that the practice originally contributed to their reputation as the “model minority”—Asian Americans started to turn against it once they were no longer considered underrepresented.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
It's not just for college either. Asian Americans are disadvantaged when applying for medical school as well (and maybe other graduate schools but I'm not as familiar with them). I have been part of admissions / interviewing committees and every medical school in the country is looking for "diverse" classes and will likely explicitly state so on their websites. With the over-abundance of Asian Americans applying for medical school, well... having too many Asians does not equal diversity

Also, glad I'm not in CA currently so my "not-Hillary" vote actually means something

Dazzler

Every time I read one of these threads with comments about pushy Asian parents I feel awful for the kids

must be a hell of a childhood

digdug2k

the big issue isn't the presidential ticket given that Clinton's likely to win CA by 30, it's (presumably) downticket where there's a fuckton of marginal House races in CA
I don't think this is true. CA has one toss-up house race I see. Its not in LA or the Bay Area.

I don't really have much pity. These parents are the reason I'm happy to be taking my kids out of the bay area to grow up. Its just too hyper competitive. I don't want my kids raised in it. But I also really don't think it has much to do with this. They're just typical racist conservatives clinging to any reason they can find to justify their vote for a sexist, racist, asshole.

clemenx

Banned

Why is it interesting? They witnessed first hand how some communist scum destroyed their country and their families, of course they're going to be as far from the left as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom