• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motherboard: "ResolutionGate," etc. Are Why Video Games Don't Get Enough Respect

scitek

Yes, just like audiophiles are the reason music doesn't get enough respect, and the people at av-forums are the reason film gets no respect.
Newsflash: Some enthusiast will care about technical aspects of anything which has technical aspects.

This line of argument is bullshit. Oh wait, the article uses "rape culture" in the context of the latest Tomb Raider game. I have nothing more to add.

Too many people think they're amazing writers. I'd bet most of these articles are written a minute before the submit button is pressed with absolutely no preparation being done on what it is they're talking about.

Resolution and FPS are usually the last things on my mind when playing a game, but it doesn't bother me that other people are interested in it. It's one of those things that I only notice when it's bad (like PS3 Skyrim).

Dennis

Banned
It's pretty embarrassing. Imagine if on a serious film forum, instead of discussing Her or the new Blu-ray of Sunrise, posters argued over the merits of IMAX vs ETX and excitedly posted GIFs featuring the companies' executives. This is where games are at right now and those of us interested in the study of play are feeling increasingly alienated. Hopefully things will balance out once the glow of the new electronics wears off.

I disagree with everything in your post.

Lots of film geeks discuss technical aspects of movies. That does not seem to hurt the image of film overall.

Film and videogames are not the same. The technical aspect of a videogame can enormously influence the experience.

A lot of videogames does not revolve around their story and so the kind of discussion you would have for a film simply does not apply. And those videogames that DO have elaborate and relatively mature stories like TLoU do generate discussion about their themes etc.

NeoGAF is a serious forum for discussion of all aspects of videogames. I don't get the inferiority complex in regards to serious film forums.

I definitely agree with the article when it says that arguing about fidelity and framerate should take a backseat to discussion about unoriginality and squeezing every dime out of gamers instead of offering compelling experiences though.

Not sure why bring it up now when the same thing happened last gen. Last gen there was also performance arguments.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Its like my eyes know how to zero in on "rape culture" mentions automatically now. But there it is in all its glory:

When we focus on the amount of pixels that are being used to render Lara Croft, we overlook the implicit creepiness of the game industry's androcentric obsession with creating such an "obsessively detailed" version of someone like Lara Croft in the first place. And if we continue to nitpick over just how "obsessively detailed" this young woman's virtual body is, we forget that the real controversy of the new Tomb Raider came from its uncomfortable participation in rape culture.

I have no idea what on earth the dizzy article writer was trying to argue. Stop talking about important tech stuff relevant to entertainment purchases, talk more about mis-appropriated cultural criticisms?

HariKari

Like screen resolution, it's the kind of figure that appeals mostly to gearheads.

Framerate isn't like resolution. You can literally feel the difference. For some games, the difference is monumental. How can you rectify having this position when a game on the XB1 platform (Titanfall) has said that 60 fps is the thing they want most and will sacrifice resolution to attain it? Which one is it?

"You're about to hear [insert criticism here] and it doesn't matter" is always a red flag. If that Erik Reynolds guy on Address the Sess was any indication, MS PR is going to be out in full force on this one.

nynt9

"Leave xbone alone! Your criticisms of it are socipolitically irrelevant anyway!"

What even is this article.

wildfire

Banned
You know.. you can focus on game both for its technical merits and its socio-political-cultural merits too.

It is not just one or the other...
He's not saying it's one or the other. He's saying there is too much focus on the technical.

The correct counterargument is that game hardware hasn't reached a level of a maturity that can allow for a high quality of visual expression unlike movies.

kick51

Banned
i agree shit gets way out of control, but it's no reason to stop being critical and more importantly, these arguments/controversies are not happening on a very open/publicly visible scale. Plus, resolutiongate is hardly the dumbest thing we've squabbled over.

sorry vice, no click-through

iboqIOUivuEcz1.gif

Really, are these articles not written by gamers anymore? Where is this bullshit coming from? The reason so many people have returned (or gone) to PC gaming in the first fucking place is because they found out what gaming with all of their games above 50fps looks like and fell in love. So many genres from racing to action/adventure games are clearly better at higher frame rates, it stinks of intellectual dishonesty and an insult to our intelligence to suggest otherwise. My first day playing PS4 (KZ SF single player) I ended up with a headache because I wasn't used to 30fps anymore.

This shit to me is like tech people arguing that HDTV isn't that much of an upgrade over SD. To which I say,

iqweCEFNgTEfs.gif

fuck out my face.

Vice

How. Hoooowwwww are there still members of the press downplaying the differences?!
For the majotity of consumers the differences aren't too important. Fidelity, for games, music or movies, is inconsequential to the average listener which is why streaming is so oopular with most consumers despite the drawbacks it has in regards to quality.

Not sure why bring it up now when the same thing happened last gen. Last gen there was also performance arguments.

Maybe the author is young and doesn't know this kind of crap happens every generation.

Lots of debates at the lunch room about SNES vs. Genesis. Genesis was determined to be better because it had red blood in Mortal Kombat.

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm not saying that we should ignore stories about how gaming technology like, say, the Oculus Rift is pushing the medium in new and exciting directions. But does a slightly faster frame rate or denser resolution say much of anything about the role of video games in society today? It's time that game critics started separating out the signal from the noise.

I find this quote particularly idiotic considering framerate and resolution are essential in the adoption and evolution of the Occulus and VR in general.

What sites like Motherboard clearly fail to understand is that the higher the FPS and the higher the resolution, the more fun the games are. There's no such thing as good enough in this industry.

Fact: Tomb Raider PS4 is going to be more fun than on the Xbone. Both versions are going to be way more fun than they were on the PS3 and 360.

You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore. I think Motherboard needs to go back to school
of rock

Vocal minority.

Remember GAF, that's us. I personally never paid attention to resolution differences or FPS until I started frequenting online forums like this. Ignorance is bliss

This is somewhat true. Stuff like FPS is a big deal for me personally but most of my IRL friends, that play video games, don't even know what FPS is lol.

Jburton

Banned
Please stop criticizing the Xbox One.

Kind how these type of article comes across.

Where was this type of article and commentary when the gaming media where falling over themselves to point out the graphical issues the PS3 had in relation to the 360?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I definitely agree with the article when it says that arguing about fidelity and framerate should take a backseat to discussion about unoriginality and squeezing every dime out of gamers instead of offering compelling experiences though.

The innovation drumbeat is a rather stupid narrative as well however. The whole reason that sequels keep getting made is because people want more of that style of game etc. You can't just randomly change up the medium without leaving the bulk of the market behind.

Innovation and pushing the medium forward are valuable because that kind of thing doesn't happen every day. You need a new idea, you need it to take hold in the market etc etc etc. Just ceaselessly whining about franchises like CoD does NOTHING to advance anything other than my knowledge that you think like a pretentious twat and don't understand the medium you're trying to criticize at all.

kadotsu

Banned
Technical discussion doesn't devalue the medium, only someone insecure would think that. Cinephiles will complain about wrong aspect, ratios 48FPS, 3D lightloss, film vs digital differences, bad CG, bad audio mixing etc. The Academy even has Scientific & Technical Awards.

Tech is part of the discussion especially when the medium goes through a generational shift.

theytookourjobz

What sites like Motherboard clearly fail to understand is that the higher the FPS and the higher the resolution, the more fun the games are. There's no such thing as good enough in this industry.

Fact: Tomb Raider PS4 is going to be more fun than on the Xbone. Both versions are going to be way more fun than they were on the PS3 and 360.

You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore. I think Motherboard needs to go back to school
of rock

Are you being serious? I can't tell.

Valkyria

Banned
When we ask ourselves whether the Xbox One or PS4 version of Call of Duty is better, we're choosing not to ask ourselves why we're even still playing a game like Call of Duty long after the series stopped trying to be culturally or politically relevant.

WTF is this shit? I can't even. Play games for reasons not related to have fun or enjoy gameplay, for real I can't.

I played both of the next-gen versions of Call of Duty, and didn't really notice a difference between the two. Sure, maybe if I squinted at my TV screen I could parse out the various inferiorities of the Xbox One version, but after poring over articles about "resolutiongate," the main question I was left with was: who gives a shit?

I wonder if he played the PS4 version before it was patched.

But the problem is: ppl give a shit about these things in the same way they spend 100$-300$ more on the GPU that allow them to play on 60fps instead fo 30fps and looks for every benchmark possible to compare. There's a whole market out there that cares about it and which may decide which console/version buy depending of the performance. Because you can't perceive the difference, or because you don't care, shouldn't mean no one should care.

The fact is those differences aren't subjective, they are real: 1080p vs 720p means 1.152.000 more pixels on screen. 60 fps vs 30 fps means doubling the framerate and movement smoothness. Just because you can't see them dosn't mean they aren't real or significative.

Let people set their preferences and their priorities. Bad games will keep existing even if people stop caring about technical performance....

Tobor

I'm not sure I agree with this.

You've never had a more casual gamer ask you which system to buy? I certainly have.

There is a reason why viral marketers infiltrated these forums. A reason Albert Penello was here trying to get on our good side.

We can be overshadowed by larger market forces(Wii), but early adopters play a key role in building up or tearing down any tech product.

For the majotity of consumers the differences aren't too important. Fidelity, for games, music or movies, is inconsequential to the average listener which is why streaming is so oopular with most consumers despite the drawbacks it has in regards to quality.

I disagree. Rather, I think that most gamers only own one system...so it's not like they can change the fact that game X runs more poorly on their chosen console than on another so why spend time thinking about realities that can't be changed? It's not that average gamers don't care or that if they played both they wouldn't choose the 60fps game every time...but no reason to dwell on what could have been in something you can't control? It's not like the game won't work; it just won't work *as well* as it could have, you know? Still quite playable and tolerable.

Screw "respect" in pop culture when a top news story today in pop culture is how JB got arrested for DUI.

As consumers, we have the right to know the differences between certain products before spending our money on them.

theytookourjobz

The innovation drumbeat is a rather stupid narrative as well however. The whole reason that sequels keep getting made is because people want more of that style of game etc. You can't just randomly change up the medium without leaving the bulk of the market behind.

Innovation and pushing the medium forward are valuable because that kind of thing doesn't happen every day. You need a new idea, you need it to take hold in the market etc etc etc. Just ceaselessly whining about franchises like CoD does NOTHING to advance anything other than my knowledge that you think like a pretentious twat and don't understand the medium you're trying to criticize at all.

The fact that Sony has become a haven for indies should be infinitely more discussed than the 30 more FPS in a port of a year old game. You think people have been migrating to PC because of 60fps primarily? Or games like DayZ and Rust that have no equals on consoles?

Silky

Banned
KuGsj.gif

Pop Industry is mostly shit.

Fixed

of rock

Graphics improve fun factor? lmao come on. You're getting the same okay action shooter with better graphics and textures and hair effects

Orlics

Bullshit. Two words: loudness wars.

I'm not saying that we should concentrate on technical specifics to the detriment of everything else, any more than I'm saying you should stop listening to music made after 1985 because producers made their recordings too hot (which is kind of what that Atlantic article says). But there will always be people who notice these things and care about them. Saying The Hobbit looks more "real" at 48fps because it removes cinematic artifices like motion blur and whatnot is the same as saying Tomb Raider looks more "real" at 60fps. I might not care. You might not care. But someone out there does, and why are they suddenly wrong to even bring it up?

You sort of proved his point by linking to P4K's newer and less visible "The Pitch" column though. Those pieces are on the front page of the site for a short amount of time and aren't as big of a deal as their album/song reviews and their news articles. Hence, not one of their "best critical faculties," more of a niche concern.

Zia

I disagree with everything in your post.

Lots of film geeks discuss technical aspects of movies. That does not seem to hurt the image of film overall.

Film and videogames are not the same. The technical aspect of a videogame can enormously influence the experience.

A lot of videogames does not revolve around their story and so the kind of discussion you would have for a film simply does not apply. And those videogames that DO have elaborate and relatively mature stories like TLoU do generate discussion about their themes etc.

And I don't necessarily disagree with anything in your post! The issue is that these topics take up a disproportionate amount of the conversation, usually to no end. When these topics do crop up in Serious Film Circles, it's usually a matter of preservation. In games, it's sexy because there is mindshare at stake. Very few people care about the How or Why, but the Who. I've seen some of your fanciful PC screens so I know you are probably an exception, but you are an exception.

eerrrr, they DO discuss the merits of IMAX vs ETX, or the latest 3D technology, or the future of the industry with 4K TVs, what has happened with leaked scripts, and much, much more.

NONE of that precludes deeper discussions on content, just like it doesn't for videogames.

Like I said, the article here is a terrible mish mash of a false equivalency and a massive strawman.

The problem is that deeper discussions are often shoved aside by fanboy wars and epeen measurements

I suppose that movie films also can't criticize badly cut movies, or with bad photography or illumination or costume work. Because movies are stories and what is important is the characters and the plot right? Who cares about that little technical details, only silly film buffs.

squidyj

Video games are more tied to the hardware they use than anything else because that hardware is not interchangeable (for console games)

Journalists, however, face another question when they start to see stories like this appear. When you write about something as a controversy, you're telling your audience that they should be viewing it as a controversy.

Journalists downplaying or dismissing quantifiable differences between versions of $60 games are why video game journalists don't get enough respect. Why is this so hard to understand? Pointing out that one version of game has a better resolution or frame rate than another version of the same game isn't you taking sides in some console war bullshit or reporting on a "controversy," it's simply providing factual information to your readers and consumers who may use that information to make a purchasing decision.

Like past gens, I will most likely be a multi-console owner this gen. If I'm deciding which version of a multiplatform game to get, I obviously want to buy the best possible version. If you just have an Xbox One and can't afford another console and are content with having lower resolutions or differences in frame rates, that's fine. I'm not here to rub it in your face that there might be a better version of the game or try to convince you that the PS4 is better or that you should feel bad for buying an Xbox One. But for me, personally, while resolutions aren't that big of deal to me, stuff like frame rates are, because a bad frame rate can hamper an experience and a really good frame rate can make the experience better. It's not choosing sides or making it out to be some controversy by simply stating or telling people that version of game a) has a better resolution or frame rate.

border

And if we continue to nitpick over just how "obsessively detailed" this young woman's virtual body is, we forget that the real controversy of the new Tomb Raider came from its uncomfortable participation in rape culture.

Whining about "rape culture"! If only we did more of that, then I'm sure video games would be taken seriously!

I honestly cannot stand when journalists take the absolute worst or most obsessive parts of internet fans and then pretend like that has any bearing on the artform's pop culture "acceptance". Nobody in the mainstream sees that 30FPS vs 60FPS bullshit. Right now there are millions of idiots on message boards having embarrassing and obsessive discussions about their fantasy football leagues or the new model Ford, but none of that has any bearing on my opinion of cars or football.

I'm more embarrassed by the insecurity in articles like this, desperately trying to make videogames taken seriously.

Who cares if people want to nitpick over stuff like frame rate?

Freeman

Banned
This makes no sense, imagine if there was a company selling blurays that played the movie at half the resolution or half the framerate charging more and saying there is hardly a difference. I'm certain people would speak against it.

This guy is a joke, if you can't see the difference get out of the conversation, sit closer to your TV or get a bigger/better one.

ypo

So resolution doesn't matter, framerate doesn't matter. So why are people paying several hundred for a new system? Oh yea to play politically relevant games.

ask ourselves why we're even still playing a game like Call of Duty long after the series stopped trying to be culturally or politically relevant.

Tom_Cody

A bit of strawmanning in the article.

As it states, I think it's natural that gamers (or any type of consumer) would want to know which one is the definitive version when making a purchase. The main reason that so much discussion takes place of this issue is the lack of transparency from publishers.

Top Bottom