• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

I got in. Now here's hoping I don't get double billed because I was trying to make an account with FB and Paypal in one browser and credentials and Amex in another.

see5harp

I did the theater search near me and I swear it included most theaters, even the handful of indie theaters that screen the foreign films. This seems like a really good idea. Especially for those middle of the week movies you might see just because you don't have anything else going on.

see5harp

Wow I've never heard of this. Could someone search a theater list for 21122 please?

AMC Loews Center Park 8

Old Greenbelt Theatre

United Artists Snowden Square Stadium 14

R/C Hollywood Cinema 4

West Nursery

Cinemark Egyptian 24

AMC Columbia 14

Waugh Chapel Stadium 12 & IMAX

Marley Station Movies

Laurel Mall St. 12

Sun Valley Movies

AMC Wheaton Mall 9

If I zoom out and include DC, the list grows huge...

AMC Loews Center Park 8

AMC Loews Rio Cinemas 18

AMC Loews Shirlington 7

The Avalon Theatre

AMC Mazza Gallerie

AMC Loews Uptown 1

Bow Tie Cinemas Reston Town Center 13

Rave Motion Pictures Centreville 12

AMC Courthouse Plaza 8

AMC Potomac Mills 18

Old Greenbelt Theatre

The Charles

AMC Security Square 8

Senator Theatre

Regal Countryside Stadium 20

Regal Bethesda

Regal Fairfax Town Center

Manassas Cinemas

University Mall Theatres

United Artists Snowden Square Stadium 14

R/C Hollywood Cinema 4

West Nursery

Regal Rockville Center Stadium 13

Regal Potomac Yard Stadium 16

Regal Bowie Stadium 14

Royal Cinemas

Kentlands Stadium 10

Regal Manassas Stadium 14 & IMAX

Regal Ballston Common Stadium 12

Cinema Arts Theatre

Cinemark Egyptian 24

AMC Hoffman Center 22

Regal Germantown Stadium 14

Westview Stadium 16 & IMAX

AMC Loews Georgetown 14

Fairfax Corner 14

AMC Columbia 14

Regal Majestic Cinema 20 & IMAX

AFI Silver Theatre Cultural Center

AMC Magic Johnson Capital Center 12

Regal Gallery Place Stadium 14

Community Theatre - Woodstock

AMC Tysons Corner 16

Regal Kingstowne Stadium 16

Regal Hyattsville Royale Stadium 14

Fox Stadium 16 & IMAX

Alamo Winchester

Cobb Village 12 Cinemas

Waugh Chapel Stadium 12 & IMAX

Angelika Film Center-Mosaic

Alamo Drafthouse Loudoun

AMC Worldgate 9

Apple Blossom 12

Regal Virginia Gateway Stadium 16 & RPX

Angelika Pop-Up at Union Market

Springfield Town Center 12

Marley Station Movies

Dulles Town Center St. 10

Laurel Mall St. 12

Sun Valley Movies

Starplex Loudoun Station Luxury Cinemas 11

AMC Wheaton Mall 9

Setmeni

So I guess someone that used to live in my apartment had this so it won't let me start the trial, mildly annoying but I guess I'll put money in the bank for this.

DOWN

Banned
Their price will need to go to around $25 at least if they want to make money on the tickets, most people will still go about twice a month and at $8-12 per ticket this will average out. But the "abusers" who really do go every day are a big problem. If you are barely making anything on most users and you have a bunch that are costing you a couple hundred a month you will never make money. Plus it sounds like Hollywood isn't interested in the consumer data they are collecting, probably since they get that data already for free.

There's a reason this was $50-$100 in the past and it's not because they were trying to price gouge people.
Empty seats happen at 98% of screenings and make the theatres and studios no money as is. Getting data and concessions sales makes this pass a no-brainer. The number of people who will fail to get their $120 worth of visits in per year will take away quite a bit of the losses that could be had on people who go more than once a month average. And many of them will buy concessions each visit.

So yes, $10 is likely a loss leader move to bump up subscriber count for now, but it has tons of value for the industry even if it may be a ticket loss for the time being. But surely the price will be higher down the road and we can all figure out that it is likely a planned sooner rather than later. Subscriber boost to this degree is a short term goal.

Got in. Seems like every Portland, OR theater is a participant. Though once I get into the app, no showtimes or theaters are available.

BTA

The confirmation page and the email I just got imply the trial isn't even a thing, as a heads up? That's fine with me and it was clear their checkout was bugged anyway (with the double message explaining both the normal way you'd be charged and how you'd be charged after the trial), but it's weird to see a company not get this cleaned up before a big announcement like this.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I got in. Now here's hoping I don't get double billed because I was trying to make an account with FB and Paypal in one browser and credentials and Amex in another.
I did a similar thing and got charged twice but the cancellation message said I would get a refund within 72 hours

This just seems like one of those 90s dotcom things where a guy basically takes money from investors and essentially hands it out to users hoping something magical happens.

It never does.

The site is on fire right now so probably best to wait 2-3 days, its a really good deal if you are gonna go see at least 1 movie a month. I've seen a grand total of 2 movies this year, but mighta gone to see more if I knew it was essentially covered by a pass.

I'd expect in 6-18 months this company to go bankrupt and shutdown, so maybe don't use your real credit card or something is the only thing I'd say. Buy a $100 visa gift card at your grocery store and give it that number.

Got in. Seems like every Portland, OR theater is a participant. Though once I get into the app, no showtimes or theaters are available.

Same here. Seems like they want you to enter the last 4 digits of the card they're supposed to send you before locations will show up in the app.

DOWN

Banned
This just seems like one of those 90s dotcom things where a guy basically takes money from investors and essentially hands it out to users hoping something magical happens.

It never does.

The site is on fire right now so probably best to wait 2-3 days, its a really good deal if you are gonna go see at least 1 movie a month. I've seen a grand total of 2 movies this year, but mighta gone to see more if I knew it was essentially covered by a pass.

I'd expect in 6-18 months this company to go bankrupt and shutdown, so maybe don't use your real credit card or something is the only thing I'd say. Buy a $100 visa gift card at your grocery store and give it that number.
It’s a legit company that’s been around for years tho. I heard about them when they launched. They’ve had some price and acceptance struggles but they seem to have scored a big deal for investments this week that is tied to this subscriber growth strategy.

HotHamBoy

So you have to wait 5-7 business days to see a movie? You can't just use the app immediately?

Lame. That's like half the 2 week trial.

Same here. Seems like they want you to enter the last 4 digits of the card they're supposed to send you before locations will show up in the app.
Huh. The Card tab in the app shows me a card number with all but the last four digits blocked out. Not seeing anywhere to enter that info, though.

jmdajr

Within ~10 Miles:
Cinemark 12 Cypress
Studio Movie Grill - Copperfield
Carmike Yorktown 15
Santikos Silverado 19 IMAX

giphy.gif

hmmm. Can't log in to create an account.

HotHamBoy

The trial (if it exists) is only supposed to kick in once you get the card, I believe.

Yeah so the way it works is actually pretty interesting:

CEO and co-founder Stacy Spikes told me that MoviePass gets exact pricing for every show at every theater so it can load the exact amount on your debit card. "We do know the price," he said. "We've mapped the entire country. We load the amount you'd need for a ticket. It's a restricted card, so it won't work anyplace but a kiosk or the cashier."

I would try this if it would let me see if theaters in my area used this before signing up.

It does. Why do people keep saying this? I'm looking at the theaters right now and haven't done anything other than go to their website.

The site sucks though so I'm assuming it's just not populating for you.

snap

Banned
It does. Why do people keep saying this? I'm looking at the theaters right now and haven't done anything other than go to their website.

The site sucks though so I'm assuming it's just not populating for you.

when they first made this live they were hiding that map until you signed up, and even then it was only in the app

Meowster

64055:

AMC Ward Parkway 14
AMC Independence Commons 20
Regal Kansas City Stadium 18 Cinemas
AMC Town Center 20
AMC Barrywoods 24
AMC Studio 30 Olathe
Belton Cinema 8
B&B Shawnee 18
Landing 4 Theatres
Tivoli Cinema