• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

Exis

I am not sure if the app is broken or something, but when I search for theaters it is telling me there are none in my area. DC/MD/VA

Might be the page or something putting in my old 2001 zip gives me

Regal Gallery Place
The Agelika at Union Market
AMC Lowes Georgetown
Uptown

Mike M

Nick N
First 5 listed cause if I did with 10 miles it would be a single theatre"
Regal Marysville 14
Everett Stadium 16 and RPX
Stanwood Cinemas
Galaxy Monroe 12
Regal Alderwood 7

I think that you normally can but everything is on fire right now so IDK.
Man, that covers every theater in the area. Thanks, dude.

May pull the trigger in this one...

ZOONAMI

i guess they crunched the numbers and most people would watch less than 1 movie per month?

Probably. It seems like a great deal but upon further thought I probably go to far less than $120 of movies in theaters a year. I think they are banking on people signing up thinking they are going to go a bunch more movies but don't actually end up doing so. The theaters are probably game because they make all their money on concessions anyway. Studios are probably getting because they hope this will be a net revenue gain and hopefully helps to combat piracy a bit. If I signed up for this example I bet the studios would be making more money off me because I hardly go to the cinema.

Roubjon

I'm going for it. I love going to the movies and I wish I could do it more often. This rules. If they up the price though, I'm out.

Probably. It seems like a great deal but upon further thought I probably go to far less than $120 of movies in theaters a year. I think they are banking on people signing up thinking they are going to go a bunch more movies but don't actually end up doing so. The theaters are probably game because they make all their money on concessions anyway. Studios are probably getting because they hope this will be a net revenue gain and hopefully helps to combat piracy a bit. If I signed up for this example I bet the studios would be making more money off me because I hardly go to the cinema.

That's what happened to me. I signed up when it was still being tested way back in 2011 and was going all the time, but I eventually moved to an area with no eligible theaters close by and was wasting $20 a month never going to movies.

Korgill

Mobile and app are busted, you need to be on a computer to check zip codes.

My brother and I signed up, I was hesitant but I feel confident after reading the ToS and other websites coverage of this.

Lowe said the company works by buying movie theater tickets for its subscribers directly from exhibitors at whatever price they offer. MoviePass is operating at a loss and subsidizing its users with the hope that at some point it will successfully demonstrate to studios and theater owners that it is growing their customer base. After demonstrating its value, he hopes MoviePass will be cut in on the profits.

“We’re hoping that if we can drive a meaningful increase in attendance we can share in that success,” said Lowe.

I don't expect a free lunch but I can get behind what Lowe is trying to accomplish here. They need to massively increase the subscriber base and this will go a long way to accomplish that. I don't think it will work how he hopes, but it's great for me.

ZOONAMI

That's what happened to me. I signed up when it was still being tested way back in 2011 and was going all the time, but I eventually moved to an area with no eligible theaters close by and was wasting $20 a month never going to movies.

Yeah honestly though I'm not sure how smart this is for the studios, if I did get this I probably would go to more movies in theaters but I would buy a lot less blurays.

Meowster

I can't get through to sign up my account. I keep getting errors and requests timing out. I have really great service and Wi-Fi so it isn't that. Must be getting huge traffic.

Meowster

I can't get through to sign up my account. I keep getting errors and requests timing out. I have really great service and Wi-Fi so it isn't that. Must be getting huge traffic.
ahh got it to work finally. Still not listing any locations through the app but it shows in the browser.

JeTmAn81

Haha, they ran over their quota to the Google location API so I can't find out which theaters near me are supported by this

DOWN

Banned
I think indeed this is about people not making that many more visits to the theater than they usually do, but due to savings they will be ready to spend on concessions. And those who do make the most of the pass by frequent visits will buy even more concessions. Then moviepass sells the valuable viewer info to Hollywood, raises more capital, and jacks the price to $11.99 by the end of 2018 or something

Tempted by this despite going to the movies like three times a year.

Any bets on how long this lasts? I give it eight months before they shut down or raise the price substantially.

BTA

Went for it.

Even if the theater a few minutes from me isn't included, a theater that's a good meeting point for friends in the area is, as well as theaters near my work. So not ideal, but still saves me money for the next year.

Also keep in mind the theater loyalty programs see this as a full price ticket purchase. You rack up those AMC Stubs rewards very quick with Moviepass.

Rvaan

Banned
Can anyone check 10512 for me? Down for 20-30 mile range if possible. Thanks so much.
Within ~ 20 miles
CArmel Movieplex 8
Empire Southeast Towne Center
Regal Fishkill 10
UA Cortlandt Town Center Stadium 11
South Hills 8
Regal Gallareia Mall Stadium 16
Bow Tie Cinemas Mt Kisco Cinemas
Downing Film Center
Destina New Windsor 12
Prospector Theater
AMC Lowes Danbury 16
Bank Street Theatre
Showtime Cinemas - Newburgh
Roosevelt Cinemas
Digiplex Poway

Been trying to look at the theater list, but the websites not letting me. Could someone look up 92119? Thanks in advance!
Within ~ 10 miles
Grossmont Center 10
Regal Parkway PLaza Stadium 18
AMC Mission valley 20
Edwards Racnho San Diego Stadium 15
Ultrastar Mission Valley
Edwards Mira Mesa Stadium 18
AMC Fashion Valley 18
Digiplex Poway

EDIT: Forgot tabing is bad!

Regency Foothill Cinema Stadium 10
Edwards La Verne Stadium 12
AMC Covina 30
AMC Glendora 12

Same for the other zip, but that reads as Burbank?
AMC Theatres Burbank Town Center 8
United Artists La Canada 8
AMC Theatres Burbank Town Center 6
AMC Burbank 16
Pacific Theatres Glendale 18
Laemmle Noho 7

Those are roughly in that area

The map feature on this site is kind of buggy

Perfect thanks! I work in Burbank and I would consider using that pass to watch a movie rather than sitting in traffic.

SSPssp

Signed up for the free month. Check on the website and it has every theatre in my area. Excited to try this out!

Lifeline

Do you have to do anything special to get the free trial? I don't see any options for it. When checking out it just says your membership will start when you get the card, nothing about a trial.

SSPssp

Do you have to do anything special to get the free trial? I don't see any options for it. When checking out it just says your membership will start when you get the card, nothing about a trial.

I'm not sure how you get it, on one browser I was offered 2 weeks, on another I was offered 1 month.

Korgill

I think indeed this is about people not making that many more visits to the theater than they usually do, but due to savings they will be ready to spend on concessions. And those who do make the most of the pass by frequent visits will buy even more concessions. Then moviepass sells the valuable viewer info to Hollywood, raises more capital, and jacks the price to $11.99 by the end of 2018 or something

Their price will need to go to around $25 at least if they want to make money on the tickets, most people will still go about twice a month and at $8-12 per ticket this will average out. But the "abusers" who really do go every day are a big problem. If you are barely making anything on most users and you have a bunch that are costing you a couple hundred a month you will never make money. Plus it sounds like Hollywood isn't interested in the consumer data they are collecting, probably since they get that data already for free.

There's a reason this was $50-$100 in the past and it's not because they were trying to price gouge people.

Top Bottom