• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
ehh the wording is weird, you get charged 9 immediately for the trial and then 9 again two weeks later at first?

4dC6wrH.png

I'll wait a bit before signing up haha

Kibbles

Can you use this at any theater? Or is it restricted to certain chains?
Didn't work for me on new movies last time for me at my Marvus Theater, had to wait for them to go to the smaller screens. Worked for AMC but that shits too far for me. Wonder if it got any better since, only been a year or so since I last tried.

I think they changed this. Their restrictions now are very simple: one 2D movie per day, no questions asked.

I wonder if my theater's giant screen will count. It's not an IMAX, it's just their off-brand version of it. It's only a dollar extra than their normal ticket prices.

My GF who also signed up doesn't have a data plan on her phone; she uses wifi for everything. I wonder if the app will even work, or if she can just sign in with her account on my app after I get my ticket.

daveo42

Banned
My roommate will be pleased by this. He cancelled when movie pass changed their rates to $50/month because of how many hoops you already had to go through to see movies to begin with. That 1-a-day thing too is a literal 24 hour period, or at least it was when he was still using their service.

It's a great service if you use it often enough, but my guess is they'll go back to a higher monthly sub eventually due to "heavy users" that actually took advantage of the service as opposed to barely using it at all.

I had this for almost 3 years before canceling about 6 months ago. The price increased from $30 to $40. Then they implemented a stupid policy where a theater only had a set amount of tickets for each morning, afternoon, and night. And they were almost always low or out when I checked. I signed back up. I just hope the number of tickets policy is gone.

The ticket allocation policy is 100% gone.

I wonder if my theater's giant screen will count. It's not an IMAX, it's just their off-brand version of it. It's only a dollar extra than their normal ticket prices.
Anything other than a standard showing probably won't work. RPX is kind of what you're talking about, it's only like a $1 upcharge but it's still not eligible

I'm gonna sign up because this is a dream come true for someone who watches a lot of films in the city.

I am a little anxious in regards to their policy of only being able to order tickets day of, since I watch big blockbusters on the day of their release. Not being able to purchase tickets of those in advance makes me really skittish about pulling the trigger.

zelas

This would be perfect if allowed Landmark Theaters (better selection of artsy films) but still seems like a good deal.

Samus4145

Do you have to sign up 2x if you want 2 tickets or can you add on a second to your account?

edit: FAQ updated. Only single passes. I wonder if I can use the same paypal account for 2?

Sanchito

Looks like they are updating the page, guys. There is more information in the FAQ now. At least, there is for me.

I think they changed this. Their restrictions now are very simple: one 2D movie per day, no questions asked.

Interesting...I think you are right. I saw Detroit last weekend and now I just saw if I could check in again and it wasn't greyed out.

Can anyone else actually try it and confirm?

Interesting...I think you are right. I saw Detroit last weekend and now I just saw if I could check in again and it wasn't greyed out.

Can anyone else actually try it and confirm?
They posted a tweet about 2 hours ago that confirms. You can watch the same movie as many times as you want, once per day.

gcubed

All four of those theaters are supported but that's it within 10 miles.

Studio Movie Grill Darby
Bow Tie Cinemas Anthony Wayne 5
UA King of Prussia Stadium 16 IMAX
Bryn Mawr Film Institute
Regal Plymouth Meeting 10
Regal Edgmont Square 10
Regal Oaks Stadium 24
AMC Plymouth Meeting Mall 12
AMC Marple 10
Narberth Stadium 2
Providence Town Center
AMC Granite Run 8
Bow Tie Bala Theater
Colonial Theater Phoenix ville
Movie Tavern Flourtown
UA Main Street Theater 6
Ambler Theater

It does not. However, if your theater is doing a type of re-release, like for example AMC's recent re-release of Lion King, it does work for that.

Sweet, both the theaters I go to are in that list.

So let me get this straight, I can prebook if I go to the theater to buy the ticket? So if I run by the theater in the morning I can buy the ticket there and come back later?

Can you do that days in advance or just the day of?

I'll give it a try. There are good theaters in this in Cincinnati. Since I used PayPal I can revoke the subscription on them at any time.

BTA

Looks like they are updating the page, guys. There is more information in the FAQ now. At least, there is for me.

Yeah, I'm seeing things as being made <30 minutes ago.

Kinda weird to not have that part of the site ready, huh.

Toothless

Sorry guys, I'm done ith zipcode checks for now because I really need to get some sleep. I can check in again in a few hours though.

That said, OH MY GOD REWATCHES ARE ALLOWED NOW??? This is the greatest day ever.

I'm gonna see Last Jedi forty times

Rvaan

Banned
Can someone check 78526?
Cinemark Sunrise Mall
Cinemark Movies 10 Brownsville
Cinemark Movies 10 Harlingen
Cinemark Harlingen

I keep typing my zip code but the list is showing NYC only. I'm in Orlando 32821
Within 10 miles:
Regal Pointe Orlando Stadium and IMAX
AMC Disney Springs 24
Regal Cinemas The Loop Stadium 16 and RPX
Touchstar Cinemas Southchase 7
AMC Lowes Universal 20

WriterGK

If this takes off how is any non subscriber ever going to get a seat at a theater anymore? I know its limited to one movie a day but the bored, kids are just going to be taking advantage of this of every single day. I guess the theaters don't care because they want you to buy food and drinks.

When optimum gave away free movies on Tuesdays the crowding even on that smaller scale crowding was a real problem.
Trust me bro. I have this in The Netherlands since 2008. There is plenty of room. Only advisable to make a reservation for Friday and Saturday nights , other then that rarely ever have trouble getting tickets. Glad to see its in USA now as well :)

DOWN

Banned
Cinemark Sunrise Mall
Cinemark Movies 10 Brownsville
Cinemark Movies 10 Harlingen
Cinemark Harlingen

Within 10 miles:
Regal Pointe Orlando Stadium and IMAX
AMC Disney Springs 24
Regal Cinemas The Loop Stadium 16 and RPX
Touchstar Cinemas Southchase 7
AMC Lowes Universal 20
Thanks

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Can anyone check 91750 and 91505?

Thanks!
Regency Foothill Cinema Stadium 10
Edwards La Verne Stadium 12
AMC Covina 30
AMC Glendora 12

Same for the other zip, but that reads as Burbank?
AMC Theatres Burbank Town Center 8
United Artists La Canada 8
AMC Theatres Burbank Town Center 6
AMC Burbank 16
Pacific Theatres Glendale 18
Laemmle Noho 7

Those are roughly in that area

The map feature on this site is kind of buggy

border

The price is so low it makes me kinda suspicious. I can't even get their site to load at the moment to check out the fine print

Cineworld Unlimited is £17.40 a month but you get so much more. Couldn't live without it.

- Truly unlimited movies as long as they don't start within 90 minutes of one another
- Can book upto 3 movies in advance
- Spend a few more £ a year and be able to take a friend free on Tuesday/Wednesdays (with Meerkat Movies)
- Early screenings to some movies
- 10% discount on cinema snacks (25% after a year)
- Discount at some restaurants
- No 3D uplift after you've had it for a year

The only bad thing is at first it's a 12 month contract. But even if you see just a few movies a month it is worth it.
Closest to me is Huntingdon, shame because its a great deal.

I think me and my wife are going to sign up for this. We usually see about a movie a month. with this I think we would see pretty much all movies in theater even the mediocre ones we are on the fence on. Is this a limited time offer? We are busy the next few weeks so we want to wait to sign up or should we just sign up now?

Edit: Never mind space is limited. I guess we are signing up now.

The price is so low it makes me kinda suspicious. I can't even get their site to load at the moment to check out the fine print

My guess is that they are willing to take this hit for a while to massively drive up their sub numbers so that they can gradually increase prices.

I don't mind... I will just cancel once the sub hits $15 or so.

DOWN

Banned
Hm, there's an Atmos screen near me at a participating theater. Would that be covered?
Doubt it. It seems like it is for standard 2D screenings. Unless your theatres have upgraded all screens to Atmos sound and don’t charge premiums, i would guess it isn’t included.

Top Bottom