• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| August 2017

Doomsday (2008) - I *think* this might be a rewatch? Maybe? The one thing about being an old (I'm 50) is that the memory is the first thing to go. So my wife and I decided to fire this up and even after watching it, we're both like "I think we saw that before."

I had it marked as 2.5 / 5 on letterboxd, but considering I just joined that in the last year and was marking movies going back as far as I could remember, maybe I took a stab at this one.

In any case, Rhona Mitra plays Kate Beckinsale in a Resident Evil/Max Max mashup of post-apocalyptic proportions. It's cheesy. It's over the top. It sports a badass Bentley along with knights in armor and cannibals and a viral infection that has people barfing up some gooey yellow slime and having buboes all over their bodies.

Decent action. Rhona wears yoga pants and looks hot af. Oh, and she has a glass eye with some robotic razmatazz too.

I bumped my letterboxd rating to 3 / 5 because *shrug* it was moderately fun.

Since this is the first time I'm posting to this thread...

1. I don't have a favorite movie, but a few contenders are Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Whiplash, The Lion King and Rocky.
2. Right now, my favorite director is David Fincher, though Christopher Nolan is up there as well.
3. Actors - Philip Seymour Hoffman, J.K. Simmons & Brad Pitt.
Actresses - Cate Blanchett, Sigourney Weaver & Ellen Page.
4. I try everything and am open to everything, but if I had to pick a favorite, probably Action/Comedy.
5. Yikes, this is hard. I absolutely adore J.K. Simmons in Whiplash. Everytime I watch that movie it takes my breath away.

Top 5 of July I'm regulating to stuff I saw in theaters, cause otherwise I wouldn't remember all the stuff I saw, since (till now) I wasn't keeping track of what I watched (so really it's Top 4).
1. Dunkirk (favorite film of the year so far)
2. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2nd favorite Superhero film of the year so far after Logan)
3. War for the Planet of the Apes (didn't blow me away, but also didn't hate it)
4. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (a bit of a mess. Tried to do too much in one movie and ended up feeling bloated)

As for what I've seen so far this month (will try and post regularly with new stuff)...

Doubt
Starring: Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, Philip Seymour Hoffman & Viola Davis
Director: John Patrick Shanley
I absolutely loved this film. It's based on a stage play, but nothing feels like it was lost in translation, because the person who wrote the play also worked on the film. I will always laud praise on movies that can make scenes of characters just talking interesting and engaging. Amy Adams gave a solid performance, not her best, but good. Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman were in top form as usual, but it was Viola Davis who, even in her short time in the film, gave the best performance I've ever seen her give. The raw emotion she's able to show sold me super hard. In addition, this film has some truly excellent child actors, which is always something to celebrate. The only criticism I can say is that there's a B storyline that they introduce early into the film (trying to avoid spoilers here) but it never really goes anywhere, or at least I couldn't tell if it did. It's only brought up a few more times, and never seems to be resolved. But other than that, this was a fantastic film that I will definitely be picking up a copy of.

The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz
Director: Brian Knappenberger
I'm pretty mixed on this documentary. On the one hand, it told a really interesting story, one that I can see a lot of merits in covering in a documentary format. However, I found the execution to be incredibly flawed. It came off as a bit amateurish to me in some places. The start in incredibly slow, and some of the interview pieces seemed like they could've been edited a bit, since they come off as a bit repetitive. But once the meat of the story kicks in, the film gets a bit back on track. Unfortunately, I found myself lost on numerous occasions as it felt like some things simply weren't explained enough. Not sure if I'll be watching this one again. Maybe better to just read the Wikipedia article.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Starring: Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Taraji P. Henson, Tilda Swinton, Mahershala Ali, Elle Fanning
Director: David Fincher
It's not often I get an emotional response out of films. This was one case where I absolutely did. This was a film that absolutely mesmerized me. It told a story about the way that time affects people differently, and the way each person's journey was represented felt genuine and ended up being incredibly poetic. Brad Pitt gave the best performance I've seen from him, and Cate Blanchett certainly held her own as well. Taraji P. Henson and Tilda Swinton both gave solid performances as well. If I had to say something negative, the beginning was a little slow, and it was hard to understand what some characters were saying sometimes. I'll definitely have to give this another watch, since I'm sure I missed a lot of subtlety and nuance to what this movie was trying to say. Fantastic.

On the Waterfront
Starring: Marlon Brando, Eva Marie Saint
Director: Elia Kazan
I haven't seen a lot of older movies from the 50s and 60s, so I decided to start with this, and at first I thought I had made the wrong choice. The first 30 minutes of the movie are a little hard to get through, honestly, but after that, it's nothing but quality. Marlon Brando gave a fantastic performance that really seemed to push him in a lot of interesting directions, and Eva Marie Saint managed to make the seemingly stereotypical love interest way more interesting. And the final scene of the movie is one that will probably stick with me for at least the coming months. Truly an example of classic cinema at it's finest, and proof that these older movies are well worth checking out.

The Social Network
Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake, Armie Hammer, Rooney Mara, Rashida Jones
Director: David Fincher
I found this film to be absolute genius. This could've easily been a pandering film that made Mark Zuckerberg out to be the coolest guy ever, but instead it went for the truth, which I admire much more than the alternative. Jesse Eisenberg easily gives the performance of his career so far, and Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake both gave surprisingly great performances. Even Armie Hammer and Rooney Mara managed to impress me. That's how damn good this film is. The way the story was told made so there was never a dull moment, and nothing that happens feels like it was forced to by the script; it all feels natural. And the score to this film is absolutely incredible. Really, the only negative I could say is that I found the ending to be a little unsatisfying, but ultimately, this is an film that everyone should see.

Chronicle (Director's Cut) - Rewatch
Starring: Dane DeHaan, Michael B. Jordan, Alex Russell
Director: Josh Trank
Chronicle is my favorite found footage film of all time, and one of my favorite superhero films as well. I recently bought a copy of the Director's Cut, which prompted this rewatch. Honestly, I couldn't tell a real difference between the two cuts, with this one simply feeling longer, but not changing too much. Rewatching it did allow me to see a few glaring flaws though. The explanation at the beginning for why Dane DeHaan's character is carrying a camera everywhere is a tad to vague for me, though it does make sense later once they acquire superpowers. In addition, some of the special effects seem a bit dated, though that may be due to the budget, and there were some shots near the end of the film that made no sense in terms of where a camera was relative to where the characters were being seen. However, these flaws weren't enough to distract me from how fresh and unique this movie feels even 5 years after it came out. The three main cast members all do a great job, with Dane DeHaan being the obvious standout. Seriously, if you haven't checked this out yet, do yourself a favor and try it.

A Monster Calls
Starring: Liam Neeson, Felicity Jones, Sigourney Weaver, Toby Kebbell, Lewis MacDougall
Director: J. A. Bayona
I absolutely adored the first 3/4ths of this movie. Almost everything about it's presentation was impeccable, save for Sigourney Weaver's incredibly spotty English accent. I loved Liam Neeson's monster, and the way his stories were presented kept me engaged throughout the film. Toby Kebbell gives a strong performance, and Felicity Jones is much better here than she was in Rogue One. But the real standout here is Lewis MacDougall, who gives an absolutely fabulous performance. Unfortunately, there's one scene towards the end with easily the worst acting and editing in the entire thing, and it tore me out of the film so hard that when the emotional ending hit, I barely felt it because I was so annoyed. Even with that though, I would highly recommend this, unless you're someone who cries easily.

The Dark Tower
Starring: Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey, Tom Taylor
Director: Nikolaj Arcel
Oh boy, the movie I came here to talk about. First things first: Idris Elba is fucking fantastic in this. He is easily the best part about the movie. Every scene he is in is just ever so slightly elevated by him just being there. Unfortunately, that's about all the positive I have to say. This is easily the most watered-down film I've seen all year, save for maybe Pirates or Transformers. I haven't even read the books, and I can tell this is a poor man's version of what Stephen King intended. Almost all of the acting is atrocious, particularly the main character's parents. And worst of all, it's BORING. I actually almost fell asleep during the first hour. But save for a couple decent action scenes (especially one that if you've seen the trailer you've seen pretty much all of), the rest of the movie doesn't get much better. Even Matthew McConaughey can't save it. His villain is so flat and uninteresting despite the movie trying to convince you that he is that he comes off as bored with this movie as I was. At a certain point this movie becomes a bad version of Thor, and there's a scene about 3/4ths of the way through that is so unintentionally funny and ridiculous that I couldn't take the rest of the movie seriously. Don't waste your time on this trainwreck. Watch Luthor instead if you need your Idris Elba fix like I did. Or just wait till Thor: Ragnarok.

Back from vacation so I can start staring at a screen again!

All That Jazz: A fascinatingly morbid, (quasi?) musical that plays like little I've seen before. It has the surreal blend of an overworked artist's personal life and love bleeding across their professional endeavors of something like 8 1/2, and the kaleidoscopic, hyper-kinetic, destabalizing editing rythems of a Nicolas Roag film. It's an expertly constructed exercise from start to finish, and is totally unsparing in its devotion to showing the tolls such a lifestyle can have on a person. The film does hold its enigmatic title character at arms length however, which ends up making the film feel more like a clinical technical and ego driven exercise than an engine driven on emotion however, and some of the surreal imagery feels a touch on the nose, but the film is always moving at such a clip that you only really have time to pick it apart once you finish picking your jaw up off the floor following one hell of a sucker punch ending.

Jaws: This is probably my sixth time watching Jaws, and the third summer in a row I've seen it since I bought the bluray (best ten dollars I ever spent). And as always, I find something new to appreciate about what I consider to be one of the only truly perfect films I've ever seen.

This time around I had just finished reading Jaws (on the beach no less) so I can happily pile another accolade upon Speilberg's masterpiece: Jaws, the film, is a superior adaptation. Every adaptive choice that was made here was for the better: removing the soggy melodrama and embarrassing erotica that drags down the middle of the book, injecting a ton of heart into characters that were all originally petty assholes, and turning a three act book into a two act movie where we get to spend half our time where we aught to: out on the water with three of the best characters film has to offer, a boat that's not big enough, and one damn huge shark.

Jaws represents everything that quintissential Hollywood filmmaking has strived to be every summer since....well, Jaws came along. And not a single one of those films has managed to be so effortlessly engaging or taught in its execution; everything else melts away when you watch this paragon of the cinematic dream. Half a dozen viewings in and I still feel more like I'm at the beach when I watch this movie than when I'm actually at the beach, and I don't imagine that will change over the next half dozen times I'll watch it.

Sean C

Colossal (2017): A rewatch of this largely ironed out any uncertainty I had about
Jason Sudeikis' character, as when you watch it from the beginning knowing what he's really like the undercurrents of many of his actions are more obvious
. Such an interesting movie, with a revelatory performance from Jason Sudeikis; Anne Hathaway is as good a ever.

A Bag of Marbles (2017): Evidently the autobiographical novel on which this is based is rather famous in France. It's an account of the author's boyhood in Vichy France. He and his family were Jewish, and were constantly on the move to avoid being arrested. For long stretches of time, he and his next-eldest brother were on their own in various locations. Reflecting the age of its protagonists, the movie swings from scenes of fairly simple boyhood amusement (hitchhiking across France is a lot of fun, much of the time) and, well, scenes where they're mere moments away from death. This would have been a difficult tonal balance to set, but I think the movie manages it.

lordxar

Get Out Watched this last night and what a ride! The finale was good and bloody but that monster twist was perfect. I mean it pretty much went in a whole direction that I can't ever recall being done. Sure there are similar themes in something like
The Stepford Wives, They Live, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers
but to do what this did was just flawless. Go in blind. Not sure if the trailers ruin anything but this is best without knowing anything.

The Devil's Candy What a great surprise this was! It's kind of short but very direct and to the point and I'd say that in delivering the story this is about as efficient of a horror film as you can get. A really pleasant surprise was the soundtrack which consisted of Metallica and Pantera tunes that were woven into the film tapestry very nicely. They didn't feel out of place at all and in fact kind of felt made for the scenes in a way. I'd also point out that while this has a very dark story overall that the gore wasn't turned up to 11. It has that nice tasteful balance of what you do see and what gets left to your imagination. There is gore, don't get me wrong but its not that Eli Roth in detail type of thing that ruins a lot of movies. It's on Netflix and if you need a film for October that fits the serial killer or possession theme, include this. It's worth it.

Jaws: This is probably my sixth time watching Jaws, and the third summer in a row I've seen it since I bought the bluray (best ten dollars I ever spent). And as always, I find something new to appreciate about what I consider to be one of the only truly perfect films I've ever seen.

Finally picked up a copy of this, will probably end up watching it again this week at some point. Fabulous film from what I remember.

The Legend of Drunken Master: I've seen a couple of Jackie Chan movies before (Rumble in the Bronx, Mr. Nice Guy, Forbidden Kingdom), and this was recommended. Amazing fight scenes, including a scene where Jackie is kicked onto a bed of burning hot coals. I have to respect him for all the stuff he went through in making his movies.

Saw Dunkirk in a group of five.

We all either liked it or loved it, but each and every one of us came out of the theater completely lost about something. One of us didn't even know the film wasn't occurring sequentially.

Halfway during the movie my girlfriend told me she had absolutely no idea what was going on and I asked if she understood the time thing, to which she got instantly lost. She saw the trailer and she thought it was going to be about training to survive bombs. I thought it was relatively amusing.

I loved the film, but I wish Nolan made it much clearer as to the intent of the film. Also wish the actors didn't all look the same. I can't wait to see the film again with subtitles so I can understand any line of dialog in the film, too!

Since this is the first time I'm posting to this thread...

1. I don't have a favorite movie, but a few contenders are Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Whiplash, The Lion King and Rocky.
2. Right now, my favorite director is David Fincher,

Doubt
Starring: Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, Philip Seymour Hoffman & Viola Davis
Director: John Patrick Shanley
I absolutely loved this film. It's based on a stage play, but nothing feels like it was lost in translation, because the person who wrote the play also worked on the film. I will always laud praise on movies that can make scenes of characters just talking interesting and engaging. Amy Adams gave a solid performance, not her best, but good. Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman were in top form as usual, but it was Viola Davis who, even in her short time in the film, gave the best performance I've ever seen her give. The raw emotion she's able to show sold me super hard. In addition, this film has some truly excellent child actors, which is always something to celebrate. The only criticism I can say is that there's a B storyline that they introduce early into the film (trying to avoid spoilers here) but it never really goes anywhere, or at least I couldn't tell if it did. It's only brought up a few more times, and never seems to be resolved. But other than that, this was a fantastic film that I will definitely be picking up a copy of.

I love Doubt, watched it 3 times and every time I find myself liking it more. A fine example of how a stage play can turn into a fine picture. It didn't just rely on the acting (which was great), but it was also beautifully shot; making it easy to rewatch multiple times.

Out of curiosity, what was the unresolved B story line?

Icolin

Banned
Saw Dunkirk in a group of five.

We all either liked it or loved it, but each and every one of us came out of the theater completely lost about something. One of us didn't even know the film wasn't occurring sequentially.

Halfway during the movie my girlfriend told me she had absolutely no idea what was going on and I asked if she understood the time thing, to which she got instantly lost. She saw the trailer and she thought it was going to be about training to survive bombs. I thought it was relatively amusing.

I loved the film, but I wish Nolan made it much clearer as to the intent of the film. Also wish the actors didn't all look the same. I can't wait to see the film again with subtitles so I can understand any line of dialog in the film, too!

lol

And I'm also eager to rewatch Dunkirk with subtitles, as is the case with any of Nolan's movies, as it's always hard to make out what the characters are saying.

Gastone

Lost City of Z - 3.5/5
I liked this more than i had anticipated. Well done movies about exploration can be very rewarding, and i felt this almost hit the mark. Hunnam is quite well cast as Percy Fawcett, and gives a credible performance. I thought the pacing of the film was a bit fast, and i would have liked a bit more depth to the main characters, especially the tie between Fawcett and his family, which would have given the film a more emotional impact i think.

Overall a pretty decent film.

The BFG: Look, I'm sure Ruby Barnhill is a lovely girl, but she damn near tanks this movie, which is a shame because Spielberg has an above average hit rate for casting and working with child actors. But nearly every time Ruby opens her mouth The BFG feels like some infantalizing Nick Jr. bullshit, although fortunately Mark Rylance is a far more engaging screen presence to bounce off of than a cartoon dog or something. I'm not going to place all the blame of this movie's failings on its young star however, as the script is peppered with childish hokum, which is not in any way meant to belittle children's films, which can and do weave engaging stories without resorting to horrendous fart humor and wide-eyed emotional wish fulfillment (see many Pixar films or many Spielberg's other, better, films). I thought the infantilization of the audience was a result of the film focusing almost solely on stunted childlike characters, but the film's most heinous stretch involves our characters merging with the world of adults who are played as mugging idiots.

It's a shame the film is dragged down so hard by such obnoxious failings, because there are some really wonderful elements in here. Spielberg's camera work is as sharp as you might expect, and es clearly more engaged with the wonderful and thrilling set-pieces of anatagonistic giant avoidance or moments of wonder where the camera sweeps around the lovely locations with every bit of grace one would come to expect from a Spielberg film. John Williams score also puts in work to give the film far more emotional pull than the narrative earns.

If the film were twenty minutes shorter and didn't coddle it's audience, The BFG could have been another charming and thrilling all-ages roller coaster adventure ala Spielberg's Tintin, but instead it's merely a visually resplendent pacifier.

Welcome to the thread! If you're on letterboxd, give your username a shout out (if you're so inclined to get fellow GAFfers as followers).

Thanks for th warm welcome! I actually don't have an account on there, is it something I should look into getting?

I love Doubt, watched it 3 times and every time I find myself liking it more. A fine example of how a stage play can turn into a fine picture. It didn't just rely on the acting (which was great), but it was also beautifully shot; making it easy to rewatch multiple times.

Out of curiosity, what was the unresolved B story line?

The part about the one nun going blind. It seemed to only be brought up a couple times, but never with a resolution. Unless I missed something, which is entirely possible. I'll be looking for that when I rewatch it later.

Highly recommended place to log what you've watched, put ratings a/o reviews, see what friends (and GAFfers) are watching, etc.

Sounds useful. I'll give it a look see, and will edit with username when I get signed up (though it will probably be HollowCentral)

Edit: Yup, it's HollowCentral

entertainment_0.jpg
entertainment (2015)

holy shit.. roy Andersson + Lynch ? 🤔

really uncomfortable movie to watch on w33d but the awkward humor was right up my alley

Back from vacation so I can start staring at a screen again!

All That Jazz: A fascinatingly morbid, (quasi?) musical that plays like little I've seen before. It has the surreal blend of an overworked artist's personal life and love bleeding across their professional endeavors of something like 8 1/2, and the kaleidoscopic, hyper-kinetic, destabalizing editing rythems of a Nicolas Roag film. It's an expertly constructed exercise from start to finish, and is totally unsparing in its devotion to showing the tolls such a lifestyle can have on a person. The film does hold its enigmatic title character at arms length however, which ends up making the film feel more like a clinical technical and ego driven exercise than an engine driven on emotion however, and some of the surreal imagery feels a touch on the nose, but the film is always moving at such a clip that you only really have time to pick it apart once you finish picking your jaw up off the floor following one hell of a sucker punch ending.

This time around I had just finished reading Jaws (on the beach no less) so I can happily pile another accolade upon Speilberg's masterpiece: Jaws, the film, is a superior adaptation. Every adaptive choice that was made here was for the better: removing the soggy melodrama and embarrassing erotica that drags down the middle of the book, injecting a ton of heart into characters that were all originally petty assholes, and turning a three act book into a two act movie where we get to spend half our time where we aught to: out on the water with three of the best characters film has to offer, a boat that's not big enough, and one damn huge shark.

Jaws represents everything that quintissential Hollywood filmmaking has strived to be every summer since....well, Jaws came along. And not a single one of those films has managed to be so effortlessly engaging or taught in its execution; everything else melts away when you watch this paragon of the cinematic dream. Half a dozen viewings in and I still feel more like I'm at the beach when I watch this movie than when I'm actually at the beach, and I don't imagine that will change over the next half dozen times I'll watch it.

I like your write-up of Jaws and agree with everything. Such a great film.

entertainment_0.jpg

entertainment (2015)

holy shit.. roy Andersson + Lynch ? 🤔

really uncomfortable movie to watch on w33d but the awkward humor was right up my alley
Yes, love this film. The party scene might be my favourite. Gregg really needs darker or more dramatic roles like this.

Watership Down (1978)
Starring: John Hurt, Richard Briers
Director(s): Martin Rosen & John Hubley
Pretty solid animated film. I haven't read the book it's based upon, but I will definitely check it out now having seen this. The animation was gorgeous, and looked a lot like the style that Don Bluth would go on to perfect. The music was also phenomenal, as well as Bright Eyes, the song in the film performed by Art Garfunkel. The voice acting was also pretty solid throughout. However, there are some flaws. The pacing feels a bit strange at times, and at points it was sort of unclear as to what was happening in the story. But overall, was really impressed. On a sidenote, I feel like this is a great movie to show kids, and much better than the schlock coming out most of the time now.

near

Gold Member
Life (2017)

The first 1/3 of this isn't that good but it doesn't take long before it gets going. This film is definitely indebted to the original Alien by Ridley Scott, there are a lot of similarities which I won't get into but it's set up is completely different. There is no significant character development at the start and most if not all the crew lack depth but having Reynolds, Gyllenhaal and Rebecca Ferguson play 3 of these characters makes up for what they lack in this regard. The film plays with tension scenes really well and captures sci-fi horror better than anything I've seen in recent times. The action sequences involving Calvin (the alien) are solid and enhance how enjoyable this film is at it's core. One or two twists are deployed that are more than welcome. I'm really glad I picked this up, this does all the things Alien: Covenant was suppose to.

Icolin

Banned
The Departed

Pretty solid movie. Nothing that's particularly strong; just a good movie across the board. Definitely not as good as Scorsese's other work, or even Infernal Affairs.

A Ghost Story

Saw this at a small theater with like 7 people total in the audience on a weeknight. I went in blind as advised and it paid off. Came out feeling ambivalent about it, sorta like how I came away from The Tree of Life, but it was beautiful in the moment. On an enjoyment level, it's a 7, but it was worth watching as an entry ticket into the inevitable discussions come year end.

Pachimari

I started up Land of Mine and immediately recognized Mikkel Boe Følsgaard who's playing Lt. Ebbe Jensen. I noticed him from Rosita, another Danish movie from last year which was close to abysmal, and I wasn't too fond of his acting in said film, but he seems to be a little more at ease in his role in Land of Mine. I am not far into the movie mind you, but I like the premise of it, and the whole it got going with the Germans having left my country and them now having to clean up all of those millions of mines. Interesting to say the least. I still kind of cringe whenever I hear Danish or German with a Danish accent on screen, but I've always had a hard time listening to my own language in films as strange as that may seem.

Colossal (2016) - ★★★☆☆
Another movie I finished up today also was Colossal. I've seen quite a few people watching it these days and thought I would check it out, not necessarily because I could do with another Kaiju (or what do you call a movie with a big monster in it?) film, but it seemed to be pretty grounded in its locales and way of telling it story, and it was starring Anne Hathaway so why not. I really liked it, and it didn't turn out to be goofy as I had feared it would. Yes, I did lift an eyebrow when the huge robot turned up but it was all well packaged and delivered soundly and never took me out of the experience. First it made me uneasy with the whole connection but it quickly became quite cool as well seeing it all unfold. Casting was good, and the co-leads did really well with their material. I liked it much more than Cloverfield if you can compare the two.

thenexus6

David Lynch: The Art Life

Mifune: The Last Samurai

Both pretty solid documentaries. David Lynch just talking about his childhood and art work as he was growing up to atmospheric music and shots of him working.

Mifune was just story of his life, big chunk of Kurosawa talk. He's one of the coolest dudes that lived so solid watch. I recommend both if you're interested in either person.

C4Lukins

My 2017 ratings out of 10.

8 Logan
8 Free Fire
8 Tower
7 Dunkirk
7 Alien Covenant
7 Okja
7 Dumb: The Story of Big Brother Magazine
7 Split
7 Tour De Pharmacy
7 Kong Skull Island
7 The Blackcoats Daughter
6 Get Out
6 Shimmer Lake
6 Ghost in the Shell
6 John Wick Chapter 2
6 Life
6 The Belko Experiment
5 iBoy
5 The Lego Batman Movie
5 A Cure for Welness
5 Inconcievable
5 My Scientology Movie
4 Beauty and the Beast
4 XX
2 You Get Me

Auctopus

Anyone managed to see Shin Godzilla? My local cinema is going to have a single showing this Thursday and I'm considering it. The trailer really set an interesting mood but I wonder if the film will be completely different.

Blader

Cape Fear (1962)
I had seen Scorsese's remake first, and I think it actually stacks up pretty well for the most part, but on the whole I think the original edges it out. Mitchum's charismatic creep factor is on point, and Gregory Peck is, I think, much better in this role than Nick Nolte was in the remake. What really puts this version heads and shoulders above the remake, though, is in the ending. Whereas I felt Scorsese's version really unraveled and became flat out silly in its final act, I thought it was perfectly tense and well done here.
7/10

Blue Velvet
Man, this really is proto-Twin Peaks, isn't it? I remember seeing bits and pieces of this years ago and was turned off, mostly by the on-the-nose oedipal nonsense that Dennis Hopper is screaming at Isabella Rossellini (though I still find that a little grating today). But after marathoning Twin Peaks this year, I think I have a greater appreciation for what's going on here and Lynch's own uniquely off-beat way of telling his moral-decay-under-the-hood-of-idyllic-suburban-America story. Tense as hell at times. Weird to see Kyle MacLachlan as such a young twerp.
8/10

Saving Mr. Banks (2013) - Rewatch
Starring: Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson, Colin Farrell, Jason Schwartz, B. J. Novak, Paul Giamatti, Ruth Wilson
Director: John Lee Hancock
I hadn't seen this movie since it came out in theaters, and felt it was due time for a rewatch. And boy, was it worth it. This movie is just so charming, and watching it gives the original Mary Poppins movie a new perspective. Tom Hanks is a dead ringer for Walt Disney, and Emma Thompson & Colin Farrell both do a fantastic job, with Paul Giamatti, Jason Schwartz & B. J. Novak also giving great performances. And the cinematography is surprisingly great for this kind of film. Unfortunately, the weakest part of the movie are the flashback sequences, where I found the actor playing P.L. Travers as a child to be incredibly annoying, and Ruth Wilson is easily the weakest adult actor. And while I understand the importance of those scenes, I feel the more interesting part of the story was the one of Disney attempting to get the rights to make the movie. Overall, however, this was a great watch. Now I gotta watch Mary Poppins I guess.

Also, because I forgot that I watched this last week...

Moonrise Kingdom (2012) - Rewatch
Starring: Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Bruce Willis, Tilda Swinton, Frances McDormand, Jason Schwartzman
Director: Wes Anderson
Boy, what an adorable film. Everything about this movie feels tailor made for me. The cinematography, the visuals, the soundtrack, everything comes together perfectly to make a truly incredible experience. And it's all propped up by fantastic performances all around. While all the adult actors (especially Bill Murray & Bruce Willis) do great jobs, it's the 2 child leads that make this worth watching. There are more shit child actors than there are good ones, so when a good one comes along, it deserves all the credit in the world. In fact, all the children in the movie to a great job. Of course, it's not perfect. The movie seems to lose it's way at about the 3/4th mark, sort of repeating some stuff it's already done. But it gets back on track pretty quickly, and ends on a high note. Ultimately, it's a fantastic film, and a great gateway into the wonderfully weird world of Wes Anderson.

smisk

Well The Dark Tower wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Pretty meh overall, but McConaughey and Elba are great and there are some good scenes. The kid wasn't nearly as annoying as I had feared. Made me want to read the books more than anything.

5/10

What's up you movie loving fucks I haven't been here in a while so here's a dumpster fire full of HOT TAKES:

A Ghost Story (7.5/10) - One of the most intriguing films of the year, also but feels more like a collection of some compelling ideas than a cohesive whole. I loved the haunted house segment in the middle, as it creates an emotional and even rational context for tropes like a ghost throwing dishes across the room. I can't figure out how that ties into the rest of the movie, though. The ghost's journey through time is a little baffling (why is the little girl humming the song?) but perhaps I'm focusing too hard on plot mechanics. I'll watch it again, though, for sure.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (6.5/10) - Like many blockbusters, front loaded with excitement and wonder, and then settles into formula and putters off into the third act sunset. The market sequence was a lot of fun, and the visual spectacle of the whole thing in 3D was supremely enjoyable. And for all of that, the movie literally ends in a nondescript warehouse. It's like watching the budget disappear in real time. Good fun while it lasts, though.

Dunkirk (3.5/10) - A clumsy and convoluted multi-narrative juggling act featuring Hans Zimmer careening recklessly through the whole thing. Tick, tick, tick. Snooze. I wanted my time and money back.

Atomic Blonde (5.5/10) - Love the neon soaked style, love the soundtrack, love Charlize Theron. The botched mission might be the best action sequence of the year. That fucking script, though, goddamn. What a mess. Terrible storytelling, and far too complicated for its own good. It completely undercuts itself with plot twists, to the point that the final scene almost killed all the goodwill the movie had otherwise earned. It made me long for the simplicity of John Wick.

John Wick: Chapter 2 (8/10) - It doesn't have the same impact as the original. No single sequence surpasses the club scene or the home invasion. But it might still be the better film, with many sequences that are just as good. It's stylish and engaging, start to finish. A great action movie. It loses the first film's simplicity but the sequel does a better job building its story and bringing things to an exciting conclusion (I felt the first movie ran out of steam before the third act). That last shot was a killer mic drop. Bring on Chapter 3.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (7/10) - Oh, they made a decent Spider-Man film. I loved all of the early scenes of Parker swinging around, crashing through things, trying to be a clumsy but optimistic superhero. The Avengers tie-in stuff was meh, but the backstory for The Vulture was pretty damn clever and almost justifies it. Not great, but I was pleasantly surprised. I kinda wish it didn't have to be Parker, though, you know? I wanted Sony/Marvel to go all the way and give us Miles Morales.

Shooter (5/10) - Pretty average wish fulfillment revenge fantasy about a super soldier who kills all the bad guys after they escape punishment from the justice system. Spoilers? It also peddles JFK conspiracy theories, for some inexplicable reason. Michael Peña steals the show. Antoine Fuqua continues to make questionable life choices.

Kong: Skull Island (5/10) - Some of this is badass and looks amazing, and some of it is aggressively stupid and looks really, really bad. Shots that take in Kong in all of his glory are usually pretty slick, but stuff like Loki donning a gas mask to slice and dice those flying things through green fog had me howling. John C. Reilly completely owns this movie, top to bottom. Just a middling action movie, otherwise, and little more than a commercial for whatever is next (fuck cinematic universes).

Pachimari

Land of Mine (2015) - ★★★★☆
This was a surprise to me, and a very good movie. I loved that it wasn't a war movie, but rather a look into the aftermath and the tough act that had to be followed through. It was a closer look into how the cleanup work were done in Denmark, and what the young German boys went through. I liked that it wasn't just the hardmanship of the boys but also what the lieutenant went through, and his arc going from ice cold "hater" to caring a bit more, to suffering something and yet still care. Sublime performance by Roland Møller, truly.

thenexus6

Sunshine

I knew the basic plot and the fact Cillian Murphy was in this but didn't expect the cast

Michelle Yeoh
Hiroyuki Sanada
Rose Byrne
Mark Strong
Chris Evans

I enjoyed it until the film turned
into this weird horror movie with Mark Strong boarding the ship and trying to stop their mission

Jurassic World (2015) - Rewatch
Starring: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, B.D. Wong, Vincent D'Onofrio, Irrfan Khan, Judy Greer, Brian Tee
Director: Colin Trevorrow
This is a great movie to put on in the background. I had it on while I was setting up my Letterboxd account, and it's entertaining enough without being distracting. There's nothing that makes it special really, so it's just kind of generic. Chris Pratt does a good job, and Irrfan Khan completely steals the show, but everyone varies from fine to bad. The kids don't feel at all like siblings, Bryce Dallas Howard is fine, B.D. Wong doesn't have anything to do, and Vincent D'Onofrio is misused as a villain. It kind of reminds me of Terminator: Genisys, in the way that it seems to only exist to have references to the older movies. It's nowhere near as bad as Genisys, but the similarities exist. Unlike Genisys, the final fight is actually good and entertaining. If Fallen Kingdom is just a Kaiju movie, I would be perfectly fine with that. Overall, it's entertaining enough, but nowhere to the lever of the first movie.

Jurassic World (2015) - Rewatch
Starring: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, B.D. Wong, Vincent D'Onofrio, Irrfan Khan, Judy Greer, Brian Tee
Director: Colin Trevorrow
This is a great movie to put on in the background. I had it on while I was setting up my Letterboxd account, and it's entertaining enough without being distracting. There's nothing that makes it special really, so it's just kind of generic. Chris Pratt does a good job, and Irrfan Khan completely steals the show, but everyone varies from fine to bad. The kids don't feel at all like siblings, Bryce Dallas Howard is fine, B.D. Wong doesn't have anything to do, and Vincent D'Onofrio is misused as a villain. It kind of reminds me of Terminator: Genisys, in the way that it seems to only exist to have references to the older movies. It's nowhere near as bad as Genisys, but the similarities exist. Unlike Genisys, the final fight is actually good and entertaining. If Fallen Kingdom is just a Kaiju movie, I would be perfectly fine with that. Overall, it's entertaining enough, but nowhere to the lever of the first movie.

Will need further detail on what you mean. Like she's "fine" or she's "fiiiiine"?

Will need further detail on what you mean. Like she's "fine" or she's "fiiiiine"?

Like, she's "fiiiiiiiiiiine," but she doesn't have a lot of charisma, and mostly just exists to explain plot details and kind of move the plot along, so she could've been better with a more well written character.

That scene in the jungle where she rolls up her sleeves and ties her shirt (?) is so weird

Yeah, she does that, and Chris Pratt's like, "What the hell are you doing," and she's like, "Now I'm ready," and I'm like, "What about your fuckin' heels?" And then the movie just keeps going and no one addresses that none of what she did matters because she still how has her heels on.

I know that's been talked about to death, but it still bothers me.

Cloud Atlas - I'll confess. I broke one of my own rules with this one, and put it on as I was doing chores. Mostly because I had been interested in seeing it when it came out, but got turned away by the bad reviews and WoM from friends. I still had a morbid curiosity about it, so I threw it on.

Man, maybe don't watch Cloud Atlas while doing chores.

But also maybe don't watch Cloud Atlas?

The score is gorgeous. Some of the performances are quite strong. Some of the performances are outright dreadful. In fact, a few of the actors manage to give both kinds of performances in the same film.

2/5

Sing - This is where you all get to permanently ban me from this thread. Because, yes. I liked Sing, yes THAT Sing from the Minions people, a decent bit more than Cloud Atlas. It wasn't a great film, not by any stretch. I will say, though, that it was probably the best thing Illumination has put out, in my opinion. It's a cute little kids flick, with some fun music performances. Nothing more, nothing less. It all works, though.

3/5

What did you think of Inception?

Not a big fan, but liked it enough to watch it twice. I usually appreciate what Nolan tries to bring to blockbuster films, and I enjoyed the dream layer shenanigans despite, as always, finding that Nolan's plot machinations (and dialogue) can be clumsy and over-written/heavy-handed (I thought the final shot was really bad, for example). Interstellar is the best example of that because it scratched a particular itch for me and I loved seeing some of those ideas on the big screen with a Hollywood budget, so I was a lot more forgiving. Dunkirk left me completely cold, unfortunately.

Theorry

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Was oke i guess. Liked the first one alot more. "Nothing" really happened in this movie. Felt like one big set up for Infinity War.

Like, she's "fiiiiiiiiiiine," but she doesn't have a lot of charisma, and mostly just exists to explain plot details and kind of move the plot along, so she could've been better with a more well written character.

That scene in the jungle where she rolls up her sleeves and ties her shirt (?) is so weird

Yeah, she does that, and Chris Pratt's like, "What the hell are you doing," and she's like, "Now I'm ready," and I'm like, "What about your fuckin' heels?" And then the movie just keeps going and no one addresses that none of what she did matters because she still how has her heels on.

I know that's been talked about to death, but it still bothers me.

Red hair and freckles are my *almost* kryptonite. If she had green eyes then I probably couldn't have watched the movie.

Top Bottom