• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordxar

List time:

1. 2001
2. The Shining
3. Clockwork Orange
4. Dr Strangelove
5. Barry Lyndon
6. Full Metal Jacket
7. Eyes Wide Shut
8. Paths of Glory
9. Fear and Desire
10. Killer's Kiss
11. The Killing

I dug Fear and Desire. Sure it's dumb in a lot of ways but I enjoyed it. Reminded me of an early take on Full Metal Jacket. I don't know, the Killing was ok but just didn't click for whatever reason. Still haven't watched Lolita or Spartacus and haven't seen Barry Lyndon since I was a kid but I think my top 5 is pretty set...at least until I watch BL again at least. Those top six though, holy shit those are great films and I just couldn't put the Killing in there.

Ridley327

Oh hey, I found my Kubrick list!

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Barry Lyndon
3. Paths of Glory
4. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
5. The Shining
6. Eyes Wide Shut
7. The Killing
8. A Clockwork Orange
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Lolita
11. Killer's Kiss
12. Spartacus
13 (gee, I wonder): Fear & Desire

I think Fear & Desire has a lot of value in terms of both being the first feature-length film that Kubrick was able to do and for its historical importance in relation to that, but my biggest quibble beyond the amateurish skill on display is it really doesn't feel like anything you would call a Stanley Kubrick film. There's not a whole lot in it that can be easily traced forward into his later films, which is why I'm so fond of Killer's Kiss in comparison, since that's practically a Rosetta stone for him. I know he tried everything he could to suppress those films for the longest damn time out of his own relentless perfectionism, but I am glad that this was one wish that was thoroughly disrespected after he passed away.

The Edge of Seventeen - This hit the right spot for me. Kelly Fremon Craig does well in her directorial/writing debut and the John Hughes inspiration is apparent. Most of the acclaim goes to Haley Steinfeld, who I haven't really seen much from since True Grit. She hits all of the quirkyness her character calls for and nails the emotional moments as well. I do think that many of the subplots we're wrapped up a little too quickly at the end, but this is a nice coming of age tale.

8/10

Dead Ringers - At this point in his career, David Cronenberg had established himself as the king of body-horror, so where does he go with his follow up to The Fly. Well, a different kind of body horror, which is focused on the mind. Jeremy Irons knocks it out of the fucking park portraying Twins who have different personalities, different motivations, but still share the same whole. Despite the lack of physical differences between the characters, it takes just a few short seconds to realize which brother you are currently watching thanks to Irons subtle approaches to differentiating them. Well crafted, well acted, and with another great score from Cronenberg regular Howard Shore. Dead Ringers gives a look at what it means to be human and somehow is Cronenberg's most disturbing work despite the almost non-existence of the special effects work his films were known for.

9/10

I have a confession, the only Hitchcock movie I've ever seen was Psycho when I was like 10 years old. Amazon has a Blu Ray collection, 5 movies for $34.

It comes with:
Rear Window
Vertigo
North by Northwest
The Birds
Psycho

Should be here on Tuesday.

Well, you're in for a treat.

Lima

Saw Hidden Figures tonight.

As a white male these movies always get me heated breh's. How on earth did human beings treat others this way, no sadly often still do. I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror.

Movies was really good. It hits many of the story beats you would expect but doesn't drift into total cliche. It's revisionist feel good history of course but seeing the story of these smart women actually making it simply felt good.

Henson was pretty awesome in this, not that there was any doubt after Person of Interest and Empire. My favorite scene with her was when Kevin Costner's Al Harrison asks her why she is absent from her work place so much throughout the day. And boy did she have an answer to that. I had goosebumps during that scene. Almost wanted to yell "yes, you go tell him girl". It's a shame that this wasn't even true but it made for an awesome movie scene.

The only part of this movie which didn't work for me was Jim Parsons. He is just too attached to his Sheldon character for me at this point and him playing a super intelligent mathematician didn't help.

eso76

I don't even exactly know how it happened but the last 3 movies I saw were, in this order:

Pixels
Point break 2015 remake
Terminator Genisys.

It's not like I didn't know...

Pixels was just offensively dumb but eh, classic videogames.

Point break gave me an aneurysm. But the inclusion of a scene in which the protagonist 'fires his gun up in the air and goes "ahhrgh"' was just amazing. I was laughing out loud thinking of Hot Fuzz.

Genisys was...Well somewhat better than I expected in fact (I expected worse than Salvation, though, so that's not saying much).

Sorry, I should probably have my TV revoked.

TheFlow

Banned
Saw Hidden Figures tonight.

As a white male these movies always get me heated breh's. How on earth did human beings treat others this way, no sadly often still do. I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror.

Movies was really good. It hits many of the story beats you would expect but doesn't drift into total cliche. It's revisionist feel good history of course but seeing the story of these smart women actually making it simply felt good.

Henson was pretty awesome in this, not that there was any doubt after Person of Interest and Empire. My favorite scene with her was when Kevin Costner's Al Harrison asks her why she is absent from her work place so much throughout the day. And boy did she have an answer to that. I had goosebumps during that scene. Almost wanted to yell "yes, you go tell him girl". It's a shame that this wasn't even true but it made for an awesome movie scene.

The only part of this movie which didn't work for me was Jim Parsons. He is just too attached to his Sheldon character for me at this point and him playing a super intelligent mathematician didn't help.
Good post

I saw a couple 4K restorations at my local art theatre this week. Good stuff...

Rome, Open City (8.5/10) - An incredible document if only for the time period it captures (and apparently Rossellini even used POWs as film extras?), it's also a powerful anti-fascist drama that is really fucking eerie watching in today's climate (I swear, some of the dialogue here is like shit I'm reading on the internet right now about the rise of global populism). It goes broad in places where it really doesn't need to (the drunk German officer giving a speech about how everybody hates the Germans and that's why they'll lose just feels completely out of place, dramatically), but the characters are mostly well lived in, particularly the priest and Anna Magnani's character, and the way the film builds a strong, fictional narrative out of some real life details (there's one incredible plot twist here that was based on a real life event that occurred only a year before filming) is impressive, and an impressive marriage of form and content, in a film so keen on examining the relationship between the personal and the political.

This was also one of the weirdest and most memorable theatrical screenings I've ever attended, because it was mostly full of seniors, specifically of the rowdy, passionate Italian kind, who laughed and cheered their way through many scenes and were even shouting dialogue back at the screen. I couldn't even get a read on the context half the time. There is either something profoundly Italian about this film that I just can't appreciate (I'm not Italian, obviously), or my theatre was randomly packed with dusty old Rossellini stans who treat Rome, Open City like it's The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It was a novel experience, all the same.

The Red Shoes (9/10) - I'm not sure, but this might be the first time I've seen something from Powell and/or Pressburger. And it was incredible. It certainly lives up to its reputation as one of the most incredible three-strip Technicolor films around. Absolutely stunning filmmaking from beginning to end. The first hour is the most compelling, as we delve into the theatre world, and I was impressed by how well the setting and characters are established in such a short amount of time. There's a strong sense of this world, its place, and especially of the ballet troupe and how it has operated as a family for years, long before the movie begins. The film is as richly detailed as its legendary cinematography.

I did kind of feel the ending was borderline lousy, in how quickly it contrives a binary choice for Vicky to force a conclusion, but from another perspective I can see how that's keeping with the fairy tale origins of the film. Vicky's final decision should have been "door number three" but ends up feeling a little too much like picking one guy over the other (as far as what they represent, symbolically, in that final dressing room scene). Perhaps I'm overthinking it, though, or thinking about it in the wrong context. Given how richly drawn the film is otherwise, I think maybe all I would have needed here is a bit more time to explore the drama of the final part a little more, make it as believeable as the first part. It's a two hour movie, but given the breathtaking filmmaking on display, I was begging for it to be longer.

Point break gave me an aneurysm. But the inclusion of a scene in which the protagonist 'fires his gun up in the air and goes "ahhrgh"' was just amazing. I was laughing out loud thinking of Hot Fuzz.

Did you see the original Point Break? They threw that stupid shooting the gun in the air scene in there because this was a "reboot" or remake or whatever the hell they called it.

There was a brief discussion of this movie a couple months ago. I was actually impressed with the stunt work. The incredible wingsuit scene in particular was amazing.

In what may be this film’s most surprising sequence, a group of wingsuit pilots leap off a cliff in Switzerland and soar through a narrow ravine.

As the scene plays out, it looks so unbelievable and dangerous that viewers might assume it was done with digital effects. But Mr. Core said everything happened in camera.

He brought in Jeb Corliss, a professional sky diver, to help coordinate the scene and handpick wingsuit athletes to perform it.

They needed four people to fly in the scene and another pilot to fly with them to shoot footage of the flight, all while moving well over 100 miles per hour. The athletes made some 60 jumps to get all the shots Mr. Core needed.

Watched Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. Good shit, but just some funky dialogue and then didn't like the love stuff. Beautiful imagery and great use of music.

duckroll

Watched Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. Good shit, but just some funky dialogue and then didn't like the love stuff. Beautiful imagery and great use of music.

If you haven't seen it: Watch Sword of the Stranger.

If you have seen it: Watch Sword of the Stranger again!

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back was such a disappointment. I liked the first Reacher movie, even felt that Tom Cruise nailed Reacher's personality and attitude very well. He sold me on the character even though he was missing the physical aspect that is a pretty major part of Reacher in the books. Overall it was a decent lean thriller

But Never Go Back? Not only was the plot turgid and dull, and the action weak as hell, they absolutely botched Reacher. I actually haven't read this particular book, but Reacher in a parental/father figure role just don't work. Plus, he lacked the witty confidence that Reacher has in the books and the first movie

I watched this in the cinema because friends wanted to see it. It was totally forgettable. The only thing I remember about the film now is that it was about Tom Cruise and Marie Hill doing some shit, and the ending delivered on the promise Cruise made earlier about breaking all the bad guy's limbs or something. Lol.

Captain America: Civil War
This was a actually pretty good for a comic book movie.
Didn't like it as much as Winter Soldier, but this one has some pretty cool moments.
There were some fight scenes towards the beginning that were poorly filmed and edited, but the really big ones are actually awesome and exciting.
I liked the conflict between the characters, and the payoff is really satisfying.

Those location title cards made me groan every time they showed up though, and I really missed the Metal Gear Solid vibe of Winter Soldier that made it feel so unique among other CBMs.

Just watched The Breakfast Club for the first time on recommendation from a friend, it was amazing! The cast was especially wonderful and it helped me get more and more into the film, ended up caring for the characters a lot.

Now I'm supposed to watch St. Elmo's Fire and I also have Snowpiercer on my list (love stuff that happens on trains).

The strongest thing about this and the previous one is the animation, especially in Bloodlust. It's also stunning on blu.

21441373961_11ce4a17ef_o.png

21245260708_f2ec7f42e3_o.png

21422176782_e94ec8cdcc_o.png

21432905365_4dc1142b9e_o.png

20810259104_f4424e16e2_o.png

20811885853_4ff3684eda_o.png

21246091469_ef471f7a18_o.png

The stories of both films I feel is all over the place but it's still a good film just by it's animation and action alone.

gamz

Just watched The Breakfast Club for the first time on recommendation from a friend, it was amazing! The cast was especially wonderful and it helped me get more and more into the film, ended up caring for the characters a lot.

Now I'm supposed to watch St. Elmo's Fire and I also have Snowpiercer on my list (love stuff that happens on trains).

It'll be a let down. Elmo doesn't compare to BC.

The strongest thing about this and the previous one is the animation, especially in Bloodlust. It's also stunning on blu.

The stories of both films I feel is all over the place but it's still a good film just by it's animation and action alone.

What was the deal with the guy on the unicycle? I hated his voice. That was the dialogue part I was referring to.

What was the deal with the guy on the unicycle? I hated his voice. That was the dialogue part I was referring to.

He's the leader of the small village where the mutants(who have relations with demons) settled in. Also, he's immortal and a human/monster hybrid if I remember correctly. Obviously, the character is more fleshed out in the novels.

eso76

Did you see the original Point Break? They threw that stupid shooting the gun in the air scene in there because this was a "reboot" or remake or whatever the hell they called it.

There was a brief discussion of this movie a couple months ago. I was actually impressed with the stunt work. The incredible wingsuit scene in particular was amazing.

Yeah, I know. I remember that scene very well, also because it's mentioned (and re-enacted) in hot Fuzz. That's why I was laughing, I saw it coming.

Oh yeah the stunts were indeed pretty amazing. But that's what the movie was, a long extreme sports videoclip.

JTripper

Creed: still fucking amazing. A movie like this has no right being as *great* as it is, but this one earns it. Holy shit. Third time I've seen it and it gets me every time. Coogler 4 life.

The romance angle, which was my only tiny flaw during my first two viewings, isn't actually as hollow as I previously thought it was. A+

big ander

List time:

1. 2001
2. The Shining
3. Clockwork Orange
4. Dr Strangelove
5. Barry Lyndon
6. Full Metal Jacket
7. Eyes Wide Shut
8. Paths of Glory
9. Fear and Desire
10. Killer's Kiss
11. The Killing

I dug Fear and Desire. Sure it's dumb in a lot of ways but I enjoyed it. Reminded me of an early take on Full Metal Jacket. I don't know, the Killing was ok but just didn't click for whatever reason. Still haven't watched Lolita or Spartacus and haven't seen Barry Lyndon since I was a kid but I think my top 5 is pretty set...at least until I watch BL again at least. Those top six though, holy shit those are great films and I just couldn't put the Killing in there.
Eyes Wide Shut, The Killing and Paths of Glory all in the bottom half...It's funny cause my top two are the same but after that I have just about the opposite taste:

1) 2001 2) The Shining 3) Eyes Wide Shut 4) Paths of Glory 5) The Killing 6) Barry Lyndon 7) A Clockwork Orange 8) Dr. Strangelove 9) Killer's Kiss 10) Lolita 11) Full Metal Jacket 12) Spartacus 13) Fear and Desire
Dead Ringers - At this point in his career, David Cronenberg had established himself as the king of body-horror, so where does he go with his follow up to The Fly. Well, a different kind of body horror, which is focused on the mind. Jeremy Irons knocks it out of the fucking park portraying Twins who have different personalities, different motivations, but still share the same whole. Despite the lack of physical differences between the characters, it takes just a few short seconds to realize which brother you are currently watching thanks to Irons subtle approaches to differentiating them. Well crafted, well acted, and with another great score from Cronenberg regular Howard Shore. Dead Ringers gives a look at what it means to be human and somehow is Cronenberg's most disturbing work despite the almost non-existence of the special effects work his films were known for.

9/10
His performance is catastrophically underrated, makes it Cronenberg's most covertly unsettling film.

daydream

Banned
the killing is a phenomenal early work

top 3 for me at this point (without having watching everything, yet) would go shining, paths, killing

Pachimari

List time:

1. 2001
2. The Shining
3. Clockwork Orange
4. Dr Strangelove
5. Barry Lyndon
6. Full Metal Jacket
7. Eyes Wide Shut
8. Paths of Glory
9. Fear and Desire
10. Killer's Kiss
11. The Killing

I haven't seen any of these. I will surely look for them now.

lordxar

Eyes Wide Shut, The Killing and Paths of Glory all in the bottom half...

True but I can probably answer this pretty easily. I grew up with the first six films on my list. These last few I've only but recently watched and I would guess they probably haven't had time to digest yet.

Saw this within the last couple years
7. Eyes Wide Shut

Watched these on Filmstruck in the last few months
8. Paths of Glory
9. Fear and Desire
10. Killer's Kiss
11. The Killing

eggandI

Banned
Bone Tomahawk - A slower paced, character-driven western that takes itself very seriously, but that all kinda falls apart when they show off the cartoonishly evil antagonists. Still enjoyable though thanks to its cast. 3/5

The Machinist - What really makes this movie work is the amazing setting and atmosphere. I was completely pulled into the world and I never lost interest despite figuring out the twist early on. This movie felt a lot like a Laird Barron or Thomas Ligotti horror story come to life. 4/5

Fantastic Mr. Fox - Not usually a fan of Wes Anderson stuff but this was great. Very memorable characters and beautiful art style. 4/5

Rad-

Saw Train to Busan. God damn. So many people hyped this up for me that I was sure it would disappoint me but nope, that was amazing. Maybe my new favorite zombie movie. The only major thing that I didn't like was
the asshole guy in the final third of the movie. It felt like they wanted a final boss battle of sort but the movie didn't need that and his cartoon level villainy ended up feeling really forced.

T Dollarz

Only seen about half of Kubrick's films, the more noteworthy ones I'd say. All of them are phenomenal. I would rank:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. The Shining
3. Dr. Strangelove
4. A Clockwork Orange
5. Full Metal Jacket
6. Spartacus

Blader

I saw a couple 4K restorations at my local art theatre this week. Good stuff...

Rome, Open City (8.5/10) - An incredible document if only for the time period it captures (and apparently Rossellini even used POWs as film extras?), it's also a powerful anti-fascist drama that is really fucking eerie watching in today's climate (I swear, some of the dialogue here is like shit I'm reading on the internet right now about the rise of global populism). It goes broad in places where it really doesn't need to (the drunk German officer giving a speech about how everybody hates the Germans and that's why they'll lose just feels completely out of place, dramatically), but the characters are mostly well lived in, particularly the priest and Anna Magnani's character, and the way the film builds a strong, fictional narrative out of some real life details (there's one incredible plot twist here that was based on a real life event that occurred only a year before filming) is impressive, and an impressive marriage of form and content, in a film so keen on examining the relationship between the personal and the political.

This was also one of the weirdest and most memorable theatrical screenings I've ever attended, because it was mostly full of seniors, specifically of the rowdy, passionate Italian kind, who laughed and cheered their way through many scenes and were even shouting dialogue back at the screen. I couldn't even get a read on the context half the time. There is either something profoundly Italian about this film that I just can't appreciate (I'm not Italian, obviously), or my theatre was randomly packed with dusty old Rossellini stans who treat Rome, Open City like it's The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It was a novel experience, all the same.

Great film. There are times where the film stock quality is so poor you think it's about to tear to pieces. I didn't like the other two parts of Rossellini's war trilogy as much, but Rome Open City is really an incredible time capsule.

Great film. There are times where the film stock quality is so poor you think it's about to tear to pieces. I didn't like the other two parts of Rossellini's war trilogy as much, but Rome Open City is really an incredible time capsule.

Yeah, I was only vaguely aware of the film's history going in, but the restoration work they did on it must have been miraculous, because it looked great, and there were only two or three shots I can remember that stuck out like a sore thumb, being of so low quality, blurry and out of focus, compared to all the other shots around them. I guess a few bits were just borderline unsalvageable. Otherwise, though, yeah, it looked great.

kevin1025

Banned
Hacksaw Ridge

Saw this one with my mom. It's a rewatch for me. The cornier open third was a lot less corny and played better the second time. The movie flowed a lot better for me as a whole, too, likely because it wasn't at the end of a three-movie theatre marathon as it had been the first time I saw it. The direction is incredible, and a lot more tense now that I was more focused on the technical side. My mom's review is she thinks it should win all the awards, so there's a second mini-review!

Fences

Acting: The Movie. Denzel Washington and Viola Davis act their hearts out. The supporting cast is just as great. I hadn't read or seen the play, so I was completely taken by surprise at the turn it took. I was expecting hard times and hard relationships, but it went some places I wasn't expecting. It's very well done, and I wouldn't be super shocked if they Washington and Davis take home their respective awards. The dialogue in this movie is also something of note, it's beautifully written. It felt like a 2hr20min play, and I had a very good time watching it.

hiredhand

Skierri, vaivaiskoivujen maa (Markku Lehmuskallio, 1982)
A really obscure docudrama (17 votes on IMDb) about the indigenous Sami people of Finland and their relationship with Finnish society. Composed of short vignettes with little overarching plot. Interesting because of the subject matter but not particularly good as a film 6/10

Moms Mabley: I Got Somethin' to Tell You (Whoopi Goldberg, 2013)
Whoopi Goldberg's directorial debut about a pioneering African American comedian Moms Mabley. Pretty standard show business documentary. It's quite weird seeing Cosby being one of the interviewees. 6/10

Lion (Garth Davis, 2016)
A thoroughly mediocre Oscar bait with basically zero surprises. I don't understand why they thought it was a good idea to make this a completely linear film when trying to remember the past is such a big part of the story. I guess, the acting is quite good. 5/10

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (John Ford, 1962)
A rewatch. Still one of the greatest westerns ever made. Also one of Wayne's bes performances. 10/10

The Other Side of Hope (Aki Kaurismäki, 2017)
Aki Kaurismäki's new film that just premiered in Finland last Friday. Unfortunately quite a big disappointment. The film just doesn't work. The film follows two different people: a Finnish shirt salesman who buys a restaurant and a refugee who has just arrived to Finland. The two story segments are very tonally inconsistent and the restaurant one feels too familiar to anyone who has seen Kaurismäki's previous films (especially Drifting Clouds). Also there are tons of completely random musical numbers sprinkled throughout the film which often feel just unnecessary and add to the tonal inconsistency. 5/10

Day of Wrath (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1943)
Another great Dreyer film about faith set in witch-hunt era Denmark. Maybe not quite as powerful as Ordet but still definitely worth seeing. 9/10

Peco

Bone Tomahawk - A slower paced, character-driven western that takes itself very seriously, but that all kinda falls apart when they show off the cartoonishly evil antagonists. Still enjoyable though thanks to its cast. 3/5

It does take itself seriously, that's one of the good points of the movie in my book. I mean, the tone is perfect for what the director was trying to accomplish.

Such a nice little gem and I am really excited to see what Zahler does next.

T Dollarz

Holy shit, American Honey was so fucking good. This movie was not even on my radar, but I saw it got some positive buzz out of festivals last year, and it stars Shia Lebouf (maybe supporting), so I was intrigued. Used my T-Mobile/FandangoNow dollars and gave it a rental. Yo, this is a must see. How is this not getting more widespread acclaim? This feels like the movie we all need. Honestly, I'm kind of moved right now so it's hard to be critical. This one is going to stick with me for a while. Beautifully shot and constructed, with an amazing soundtrack and incredible character moments. Brb, gotta reconstruct my top 10 real quick.

Note: The lead actress, Sasha Lane, is a revelation. Was mesmerized by her performance. If I had to describe this movie, I would suggest Boyhood meets Spring Breakers.

kevin1025

Banned
Holy shit, American Honey was so fucking good. This movie was not even on my radar, but I saw it got some positive buzz out of festivals last year, and it stars Shia Lebouf (maybe supporting), so I was intrigued. Used my T-Mobile/FandangoNow dollars and gave it a rental. Yo, this is a must see. How is this not getting more widespread acclaim? This feels like the movie we all need. Honestly, I'm kind of moved right now so it's hard to be critical. This one is going to stick with me for a while. Beautifully shot and constructed, with an amazing soundtrack and incredible character moments. Brb, gotta reconstruct my top 10 real quick.

Note: The lead actress, Sasha Lane, is a revelation. Was mesmerized by her performance. If I had to describe this movie, I would suggest Boyhood meets Spring Breakers.

I have it on my 2016 watch-list still (only down to 15 left, hurray!), I've been putting it off for no good reason really. Really good to hear you loved it! Mentioning Spring Breakers, though... you just moved it to the top.

Sean C

The Big Country (1958): A 1950s epic western directed by William Wyler, the Academy's most-nominated director, and featuring quite an impressive cast (Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, and Charlton Heston, among others). It's close to three hours long, but while the pacing would never be described as breakneck, it never drags. Also, for all the emphasis on revisionist westerns from the 1960s onward, the moral of this movie is that cowboys in the west are a bunch of needlessly aggressive jerks (from the setup, where Peck's eastern sea captain is constantly being challenged to prove his manhood but declines to engage in macho bullshit, I was wondering if this was going to be a Straw Dogs-type story, but that's not the case).

The Love Witch (2016): Well, that was unusual. Quite fun, particularly the stylization and production design, though I don't think the story or characters are sufficient to elevate it above the level of novelty. But it's an engaging novelty.

TheFlow

Banned
Hot take

Train to Busan is a great zombie movie but it does have a couple typical tropes of the characters doing dumbshit at the wrong times.

overall I loved it. I was going to watch the wailing next but it is kinda late in the day and I rather not have nightmares.

Hot take

Train to Busan is a great zombie movie but it does have a couple typical tropes of the characters doing dumbshit at the wrong times.

overall I loved it. I was going to watch the wailing next but it is kinda late in the day and I rather not have nightmares.

I really liked Train to Busan. I thought they did a great job with some set pieces that were different, and finding uniqueness in the zombie genre ain't easy these days.

The Wailing is really quite something.

The Monster (2016) - subtitle should be "how to stretch 45 minutes of content into a 90 minute movie" - overall it's not terrible, but the monster reveal is drawwwwwwn ooooouuuuuutttt for-fucking-ever and at some point it loses what its hoping to gain by drawing it out so long. The really good horror movies know how to play this up, slowly peeling the onion. This one feels like they had no onion left by the time they revealed things. The mom and the daughter are not exactly knocking it out of the park in the acting department, and the entire thing really settles on how well they can carry this. Which isn't very well. Too much dialog stretched out to try and make the movie longer.

2.5 / 5

Caught a second screening of Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. I loved it again, but I admit I have no fucking idea what is going on with the retcon of Red Queen's origin. I suppose I'll have to watch them all again in the next week or so just to make sure that it makes no sense at all.

Even though the editing is ridiculous, I had no problem at all seeing what was going on this second time through. I think maybe I have absorbed the t-virus.

For real, if you have any love for this pulpy franchise, you owe it to yourself and to Raccoon City to go see this on the big screen.

AoM

G.I. Jane (1997)

I had seen scenes here and there over the years, but never watched the whole thing. Overall, it was all right. Moore was pretty good (don't really understand her winning the Razzie that year), and there are some notable supporting actors. But to be completely honest, I just don't buy her character being able to endure the training. We're shown montages of her doing push-ups and sit-ups, we're told that she grew up with four brothers. We do see some scenes of her struggling, but it just wasn't believable enough for me. And to be clear, I'm not saying no woman can endure this training, but I didn't believe Moore's character was able to do so. I know the training they went through was fictional, but it was based on BUD/S. Here's the first part (of six) showing the hell these guys have to go through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I67Cas1bbQ

And I was pretty surprised to see Ridley Scott directed this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom