• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving from PS4 to PS4 Pro - what is the process?

Gitaroo

My plan:

1. Copy everything on my 2TB HDD to my 4TB External HDD
  2. Swap the HDD's from the PS4 to the PS4 Pro
  3. Restore my old content to my new PS4 Pro
  4. Reset my old PS4 back to factory settings
  5. Trade in my old PS4 to my local GameStop for €200 store credit, which I'll use to pick up some PSN credit.

This is what I need to do, was hoping I can transfer my stuffs easily until they confirmed the pro came with 5400rpm drive. I want my 7200rpm in my pro.

I am going to put the 2TB drive from my current PS4 into my Pro. My question is, can I do this right away first step? Or should I turn on and set up the Pro with its stock hard drive first for some reason? Yes I am prepared to redownload everything.

fvng

I sold my og ps4 a few months ago, but made a backup to my usb, with the intention of doing a restore when the ps4 pro came out. However, since then, there's been a major firmware/system software update. is this going to affect the restore process?

I ain't trading in my PS4. And I like your avatar, OP.
image.php

TheKevn

Which has faster transfer speed Ethernet or external hdd via USB? You can do a complete back up on an external hdd right?

Sky87

Sony suggests to backup up data when selling your console. Is this necessary if i have no issues downloading games again on my new console? Everything should be saved online anyway, like account info, saved games etc.

So i'm planning to just deactivate as primary and do a full initialization.

Is it possible to put save files on a USB drive and just transfer them over to PS4 Pro? I'm considering trading in my current PS4 for a Pro.

Sky87

Is it possible to put save files on a USB drive and just transfer them over to PS4 Pro? I'm considering trading in my current PS4 for a Pro.

From what i've gathered, savedgames are stored online, so they can be accessed from your new console without you doing anything before. You should sync your tropies though.

Yes, you can

From what i've gathered, savedgames are stored online, so they can be accessed from your new console without you doing anything before. You should sync your tropies though.

They are only stored online if you are a PS Plus member and if you have manually uploaded them online. There is a feature for auto-uploading of saves, but I wouldn't trust that for moving over to a new system.

Backup and restore takes a day, it's not just transferring data it's encrypting and decrypting, Im hoping migrate via Ethernet is much faster

I'm thinking its too much of a pain to back up my 2TB HDD and then swap it, I'm keeping my PS4 anyway, so will probably just transfer my saves over and leave the Pro with the 1TB drive and just install some games again, most of my games are on disc, so installs shouldn't take too long, then I will just leave it in standby for a hour, while it downloads any updates.

We have always used my accounts, but I suppose I could set up one new account for each of them in their names. So leave the og ps4 as primary and the pro as secondary correct?

Or I just leave them my accounts and then I get the trophies muahahahaha

I'm in exactly the same position if we leave them using our account can both ps4 and the Pro be online simultaneously

If I do the ps4 to ps4 pro transfer can I select the data I want to transfer or is it a 1/1 transfer? I have a 2tb drive in the og ps4 but can't be bothered with the hassle of swapping them out

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I upgraded my current white PS4 as soon as I bought it - so the old 500GB Drive is just sitting in the box in the loft - will it still work if I drop the old drive back in? If I trade it in the shop will check its working so I want to make sure that doesn't delay anything. Likewise if I sell it privately.

If I upgraded my current white PS4 as soon as I bought it - so the old 500GB Drive is just sitting in the box in the loft - will it still work if I drop the old drive back in? If I trade it in the shop will check its working so I want to make sure that doesn't delay anything. Likewise if I sell it privately.

I'm pretty sure when you drop it back in you'd have to format it but that's all

Matush

So do I have to deactivate all my accounts (my main one, UK and US) on my PS4, or will they transfer over to PS4 Pro once I begin transfer through LAN cable?

KingJ2002

Thanks for the thread guys. I was wondering how I was going to get this done with my PS4 Pro coming... i only have a couple of games on my hard drive (i like keeping my home screen clean) so I think i'll use the ethernet process.

majik13

Cross posting from another thread.

Ok, this is frustrating. Im trying to back up my PS4 to an external exFat HDD. Its a 160gb. Ive deleted a bunch of games from my 500GB ps4 and all the captures, and almost all old saves.

System memory is is still at 370GB(didnt change), even though the colored bar is less than half filled now.
It says...

Applications is 124.4GB
Captures is 0kb
Saves 892mb
Themes 43MB
Free Space 245.4 GB
Even though all those numbers dont add up. I know this has veen a bug before. But ive at least been able to download new games after deleteding stuff before, and Ive seen my total used space drop before.

Going to back up and says the HDD doesnt have enough space because it says I still have...

2.17GB of Captures
1GB of Saves
159GB of Apps

Any fix for this? Ive restarted multiple times, restored liscene, deleted more stuff, syned tropies, tried multiple users, etc. But its always the same.

Edit: ok going into safe mode, and rebuilding the database helped a bit.

wowzors

Can i just pop the 2TB HD from my current PS4 and put it in a enclosure and put the new 2TB SSHD into the ps4 Pro and backup off of the 2TB?

Sold my PS4 today. I went into the save app settings and copied all save files to USB. Copied all media to USB. Deleted my main USER and in that process it deactivates it automatically for you (if you accept). Then I manually deleted my games.

That whole process took 5 minutes. When I get the PRO, I'll download the games I need, the rest I have on disc and copy all save files/media to PRO via USB.

Raelgun

I've noticed quite a few posts mentioning deactivating the old PS4 - is there a need to deactivate the old PS4 if your going to keep it and the Pro?

Cant I have my account activated on both at the same time?

The Argus

Sorry if this has been asked before, just want to make sure I get it right the first time so I don't waste my evening or lose data:

Do I log into my PSN account on the Pro and set as primary before starting the LAN data transfer? Or do I migrate first and then sign in and activate as primary?

Thanks!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Sorry if this has been asked before, just want to make sure I get it right the first time so I don't waste my evening or lose data:

Do I log into my PSN account on the Pro and set as primary before starting the LAN data transfer? Or do I migrate first and then sign in and activate as primary?

Thanks!
If you do the LAN transfer, it asks and does this part for you automatically. See this part of the video:

https://youtu.be/LoIOifDL1vM?t=1m51s

GazzaGSi

I've noticed quite a few posts mentioning deactivating the old PS4 - is there a need to deactivate the old PS4 if your going to keep it and the Pro?

Cant I have my account activated on both at the same time?

Only one console can be activated as primary at one time. The Pro will be my main console in use so will be my primary.

If you have digital games and the console is not activated as primary and you lose Internet connection or PSN is down the games will have a padlock on and be inaccessible. You need to sign in to play digital games on a non-primary machine.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Can I just check something.

Copying all my saves off the exisiting PS4 onto a memory stick.

Putting the 2tb that is currently in my PS4 into my Pro.

That will mean formatting, so it will be blank.

Can I copy my saves back without any issue?

I have some saves for games I dont have installed anymore, will it let me copy the saves over without having to re-install all the games?

Somnia

My brother forgot his PSN password and no longer has access to the old email address he used.

What's the best way for him to get it reset before he picks up his Pro? I told him to call Sony since he knows which email was used just can't access it.

graybot

So last night I ensured all my saved games were backed up to the cloud

I backed up every game and app onto my external hard drive (about 600gb)

I have the latest OS on my USB key

So I'm ready to go. What is the best way to fully wipe my current 2TB PS4 drive, for when I remove it and ready to install into the pro?

haikira

Can I just sound out my plan, and if anyone could say if it sounds right or not? I did read the OP, but what i'm planning to do deviates a little from either of the paths mentioned.

For context, I'm not keeping the original PS4, and i'm also not concerned about needing to reinstall or redownload anything. I just want to keep my save files.

01. Backup all my save files to the cloud
02. Deactivate console
03. Format hard drive
04. Sign in to pro
05. Make it primary

Raelgun

Only one console can be activated as primary at one time. The Pro will be my main console in use so will be my primary.

If you have digital games and the console is not activated as primary and you lose Internet connection or PSN is down the games will have a padlock on and be inaccessible. You need to sign in to play digital games on a non-primary machine.

That makes sense! Thanks for clearing it up!

JMZ555

Ok guys am i good?

* PS Plus member and checked my saves are uploaded to cloud
*Dont have any videos/screenshots i want to keep.
* Decided i'm happy to re-download games as don't have many i still play.
* Clicked deactivate primary
* used the full initialisation
*it now boots to set up screen

So using full initialisation deletes all my users and data correct?

So now when i get my Pro i just log in, activate as primary and download my saves and games i choose?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Can I just sound out my plan, and if anyone could say if it sounds right or not? I did read the OP, but what i'm planning to do deviates a little from either of the paths mentioned.

For context, I'm not keeping the original PS4, and i'm also not concerned about needing to reinstall or redownload anything. I just want to keep my save files.

01. Backup all my save files to the cloud
02. Deactivate console
03. Format hard drive
04. Sign in to pro
05. Make it primary

That sounds like a better idea than mine (above yours) all I am interested in is my save files too. On the basis of your post, I have now also stuck all of my saves into the online storage too.

Hope your idea works better than mine.

Luke_Wal

I'm selling my OG PS4 on Craigslist this week. Is all I need to do reset to factory? And that will automatically remove it as my primary system and delete all of my account stuff?

I missed it earlier, but I have a ps4 that I'm selling today and using that cash toward a PRO. I have a nearly 2.5TB of games. I will not own both systems simultaneously, and I'm really trying to avoid re-downloading everything.

What is the best way for me to get my PS4 games and data on to my PRO? Is it just somehow transferring to an external HD?

HTK

Banned
So I can't simply take out my 2TB HDD from my Vanilla PS4 and stick it into the PS4 Pro?

Top Bottom