• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving from PS4 to PS4 Pro - what is the process?

Traded mine in to Gamestop today. I deactivated it as my primary device, made sure my saved games were in the cloud, and initialized the system. Just a heads up, but they initialize it again either way. I'm sure Amazon does the same upon receipt. It's a requirement for them apparently. $150 in store credit, so you can do better elsewhere, but I felt lazy enough to bite.

Pro arrives on 10 November.

Surfheart

I'm wondering, for those that have done it, If i have my OG PS4 and new Pro connected to my home WiFi and then connect the two with an ethernet cable, does it transfer the data over the cable or does it use the WiFi?

graybot

No, you'll need to format the 2TB HDD again for the Pro and redownload everything.

Stupid question, I know. But how do I completely wipe my current 2TB PS4 HD, before installing this into my new console when it arrives next week

I'm wondering, for those that have done it, If i have my OG PS4 and new Pro connected to my home WiFi and then connect the two with an ethernet cable, does it transfer the data over the cable or does it use the WiFi?

I did my transfer today

what you need to do is connect both to your home network via ethernet. the OG PS4 wont need a controller or TV connected to it. the PS4pro simply finds the PS4 on the network and data transfer is possible.

pretty sure it is not possible through wi-fi

Question: i've backed up my old hard drive and i want to put in a 500gb hd into the PS4. How do I format it and restore everything back to default settings? Do i need to download something and put it on the hard drive?

So to be totally clear, if I trade in my PS4... all I need to do is initialise the console before I trade it in? That will delete everything off the hard drive, remove my accounts and log ins etc?
Then, on my Pro, I just sign in to my PSN account and it will work normal? Can I just reinstall games/redownload patches etc as needed, and just have my saves on the cloud? Will I need to manually upload my saves to the cloud first, or is that automatic, and likewise with the downloading?
Also.. what do I need to do as far as primary console choice, will initialising the PS4 automatically remove it as my primary console?
Lastly, is the USB backup only so people that want to transfer things like screenshots, game install files, can do that.. its not actually required if im happy to just reinstall games as needed?

So to be totally clear, if I trade in my PS4... all I need to do is initialise the console before I trade it in? That will delete everything off the hard drive, remove my accounts and log ins etc?
Then, on my Pro, I just sign in to my PSN account and it will work normal? Can I just reinstall games/redownload patches etc as needed, and just have my saves on the cloud? Will I need to manually upload my saves to the cloud first, or is that automatic, and likewise with the downloading?
Also.. what do I need to do as far as primary console choice, will initialising the PS4 automatically remove it as my primary console?
Lastly, is the USB backup only so people that want to transfer things like screenshots, game install files, can do that.. its not actually required if im happy to just reinstall games as needed?

Make sure all your saves are on cloud storage if you're a PS+ member. You don't NEED to backup especially if you have discs. If you want to keep your screenshots and stuff sure, back up. I'm just getting rid of everything and using my discs. The downside is redownloading patches and Digital Games associated with my account.

Also...

Before you initialize:

On your PS4 go to Settings -> PlayStation Network/Account Management -> Activate as Your Primary PS4 -> Deactivate.

It's actually easier than the op makes it out to be:
1) take your ps4 and throw it in the trash
2) place your ps4 pro in the same spot as your ps4 used to be.

Job done.

Can't you just directly link the two consoles via an Ethernet or usb cable?

dont think so. It asked me to connect both to my network via ethernet.

IMG041_zpshxb4tudp.jpg

Sony doesn't want anything slipping in to the system that's not vetted by themselves, by allowing a hard drive just to work after putting it in anything could be placed on it to hack open their software. By formatting the drive immediately they stop any chance of that happening.

What about those like myself that are just getting into PS4 & buying themselves a PS4 Pro while also wanting to increase space for the HDD instead of keeping it on 1 TB?

Make sure all your saves are on cloud storage if you're a PS+ member. You don't NEED to backup especially if you have discs. If you want to keep your screenshots and stuff sure, back up. I'm just getting rid of everything and using my discs. The downside is redownloading patches and Digital Games associated with my account.

Also...

Before you initialize:

On your PS4 go to Settings -> PlayStation Network/Account Management -> Activate as Your Primary PS4 -> Deactivate.

OK thanks for your help, I appreciate it. One other question.. can I backup only my Capure gallery, or is it a case of all or nothing?

When you do the transfer via LAN cable, if both consoles are connected to wifi you don't have to deactivate and activate your accounts, right?, is everything handled by the transferring tool?.

GAF need your help, so I traded in launch OG PS4 to get the latest PS4(the one that has matte finish with no fan noise issues) 6 months ago. So when I opened the box, even before turning on the system for the first time, i was quick to remove the 500gig stock HDD and swap in the 2TB that I'd used before. Now I am about to trade in the current PS4. So I removed the 2TB and swapped it back with the 500gig and I get the following message as i turn onthe system " Connect a USB storage device that contains an update file for reinstallation version of 4.05 or later update file can't be used CE-34788-0 error. Your help would be appreciated

Despite having downloaded the 4.05 fw update from the PS website and having it placed in the pen drive for updating, i get the above error.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
When you do the transfer via LAN cable, if both consoles are connected to wifi you don't have to deactivate and activate your accounts, right?, is everything handled by the transferring tool?.
Yes

I'm selling my PS4 for a PS4 Pro. Online it says I have 2 PlayStation systems activated - presumably my PS4 I'm selling and my PS3. The only option is to "deactivate all". Should I be deactivating? Then activating my PS4 Pro? Does my PS3 being deactivated mess that up, or can I just reactivate?

What about those like myself that are just getting into PS4 & buying themselves a PS4 Pro while also wanting to increase space for the HDD instead of keeping it on 1 TB?

Not sure I understand your question, the solution for you is simple, put a larger hard drive in your Pro and either restore a backup or re-download your purchases. They offer solutions, just not the one that some people would like (being able to just swap and carry on) but I can only imagine this is due to security concerns.

I'm selling my PS4 for a PS4 Pro. Online it says I have 2 PlayStation systems activated - presumably my PS4 I'm selling and my PS3. The only option is to "deactivate all". Should I be deactivating? Then activating my PS4 Pro? Does my PS3 being deactivated mess that up, or can I just reactivate?

You could just reactivate, or you could just deactivate your PS4 via the machine itself rather than using the website, this would be the ideal option in case you have issues in the future as you can only reset via the website once every 6 months. So if you have the machine in your possession it's better to deactivate yourself.

Deactivating your system. Select (Settings) > [PlayStation Network/Account Management] > [Activate as Your Primary PS4] > [Deactivate] on an activated PS4™ system. You can deactivate a PS4™ system only from that system. Deactivate your PS4™ system before transferring or disposing of it.

The Dude

Am I just thinking to simple?

I already moved my OG PS4 downstairs. I'll just install the Pro upstairs in my gaming room, download/install the games I want on it, download my cloudsaves and sync my trophies.

Were on the same locomotive of thought

Impulsor

If changing HDD for the Ps4 Pro - Go here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

Download the full update for clean install at the vottom and follow instructions.

1. Deactivate your current PS4.
2. Copy firmware to USB in the format explained in the link.
3. Swap PS4 PRO HDDs.
4. Turn On PS4 PRO with the USB stick with the Firmware for the clean install pressing the pwoer button for 7 seconds to start up in safe mode.
5. Select Initialize PS4

Seeing people having trouble with this, so auto quote

dont think so. It asked me to connect both to my network via ethernet.

Gross. This is the first I'm seeing this as I had just read articles about the transfer process and not the official manual. I guess I don't understand why this is needed, and if it ends up being found its not needed why they suggest it?

This could be a problem for me as I live and work on a campus network.

PaulLFC

PS4 successfully backed up (deleted my disc games but since I've gone mostly digital these days and didn't fancy re-downloading everything, that didn't save much space - 1.31 TB to back up, took around 7 hours).

Now to just hope Sony don't push out a firmware update in the next 3 days which would invalidate the backup.

What will I lose if I just migrate using the PS Plus save backup? Other than the time it takes to reinstall things?

Will I be able to reinstall PS Plus games from prior months for example?

If i will transfer via Ethernet do I deactivate my OG PS4 before I start the transfer?

Will do a HDD-swap on the Pro before the transfer

I believe from what I read, it will ask you if you want to deactivate during the transfer process.

What will I lose if I just migrate using the PS Plus save backup? Other than the time it takes to reinstall things?

Will I be able to reinstall PS Plus games from prior months for example?

Nothing, just the time to download :) That's the route I will be taking when I get mine.

Impulsor

If i will transfer via Ethernet do I deactivate my OG PS4 before I start the transfer?

Will do a HDD-swap on the Pro before the transfer

As long as the HDD you insert into the PS4 PRO is not the one you have on your current PS4 and you clean-install the firmware on the PS4 PRO as explained in my previous post, there shouldn't be any problem since the process should ask you if you want to deactivate your old PS4 as primary system.

Ozorov

As long as the HDD you insert into the PS4 PRO is not the one you have on your current PS4 and you clean-install the firmware on the PS4 PRO as explained in my previous post, there shouldn't be any problem since the process should ask you if you want to deactivate your old PS4 as primary system.
Yeah it will be a new HDD with OS installed via USB-stick

kikonawa

GAF need your help, so I traded in launch OG PS4 to get the latest PS4(the one that has matte finish with no fan noise issues) 6 months ago. So when I opened the box, even before turning on the system for the first time, i was quick to remove the 500gig stock HDD and swap in the 2TB that I'd used before. Now I am about to trade in the current PS4. So I removed the 2TB and swapped it back with the 500gig and I get the following message as i turn onthe system " Connect a USB storage device that contains an update file for reinstallation version of 4.05 or later update file can't be used CE-34788-0 error. Your help would be appreciated

What it tells you to do. Put in an usb stick with latest firmware 4.05. Your old harddisk has the old fw linked to it and your console itself has the latest so there is a mismatch

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I will probably go through this process just so I can preserve P.T. Otherwise I probably would've just used the saves cloud from PS+

Oops after posting in the Robinson Journey thread by accident! lol!!!

Originally Posted by nowheretorun
So I think I understand how to do this but have a slightly different angle on it for 2 reasons:-

#1. I don't want to risk trying the Ethernet transfer connection.

This is because I always get the 'LAN NOT CONNECTED' on my ps4 (drives me fucking nuts so I'm forced to use Wi-Fi but as my office/games room has a shitty signal, I don't even bother playing online anymore. Had a recent thought though that I could possibly use my old BT Home Hub 5 as a Bridge or Wi-Fi extension as I have just received their new Smart Hub after lightning destroyed my last spare HH5).

#2. I don't have any spare HDD to back up my original ps4 (I've already replaced it with a 2TB) and I don't want to buy another to back up (would 'just' get away with 1TB if I delete some things/games).

So after reading all info/help, especially by univbee (which I've copy and pasted), I guess the following would work?:-

1. Still keep ps4 for now. Clear/Tidy data so using under 1TB.

2. Buy ps4 Pro.

3. Before turning on ps4 Pro, take out 1TB HDD.

4. Use old HDD Caddy (currently got a 500gb with pictures on). Take out 500gb 'for now' and then put 1TB ps4 Pro HDD into it.

5. Format 1TB ps4 Pro HDD to exFAT via my laptop.

6. Sync all trophies etc and as I don't have a spare HDD to do a Spare Backup, I will use an old USB Stick and Backup Game Saves (just in case it fucks up then at least I have game saves - the PS+ subscription is via my Son's account that is on this machine so I can't back up saves to the cloud).

7. Connect 1TB ps4 Pro HDD to original ps4 and use Backup Option in Settings to create a Full Backup onto this 1TB HDD.

8. De-activate my account as Primary and my Son's account as Primary (he doesn't use this ps4) on this old ps4.

9. Then Initialise this old ps4.

10. Get USB stick and download latest FULL firmware into a PS4/UPDATE folder onto it via my laptop.

11. Put USB stick FULL Firmware of PS4/UPDATE into ps4 Pro before putting HDD in and turning on.

12. Take out 2TB HDD from old ps4 and put into ps4 Pro.

13. Turn on ps4 Pro and update firmware using USB stick, go through initial setup, skip everything until get to dashboard.

14. Take out USB stick and attach 1TB HDD with Full Backup Copy (of original ps4) and then select 'Restore' from the Settings.

15. Once it's done it'll restart; all accounts will be signed out and deactivated but it should otherwise 100% match your prior install. Re-sign into your accounts, set the console as primary (I will do my Son's account AND my account as I have some free updated ps4 games from the ps3 days).

16. Put USB stick FULL Firmware of PS4/UPDATE into original old ps4 before putting 1TB HDD in and turning on.

16. Disconnect 1TB HDD and put back into original old ps4.

17. Turn on original old ps4 and update firmware using USB stick, go through initial setup, skip everything until get to dashboard.

18. Sell original old ps4 (now with 1TB HDD instead of 500gb it came with as I've still got some pictures on this).

19. Put 500gb HDD back into its CADDY.

Thanks again to everyone's input.

How does this sound?

Have I missed anything?

Oops after posting in the Robinson Journey thread by accident! lol!!!

Originally Posted by nowheretorun
So I think I understand how to do this but have a slightly different angle on it for 2 reasons:-

This is because I always get the 'LAN NOT CONNECTED' on my ps4 (drives me fucking nuts so I'm forced to use Wi-Fi but as my office/games room has a shitty signal, I don't even bother playing online anymore. Had a recent thought though that I could possibly use my old BT Home Hub 5 as a Bridge or Wi-Fi extension as I have just received their new Smart Hub after lightning destroyed my last spare HH5).

#2. I don't have any spare HDD to back up my original ps4 (I've already replaced it with a 2TB) and I don't want to buy another to back up (would 'just' get away with 1TB if I delete some things/games).

So after reading all info/help, especially by univbee (which I've copy and pasted), I guess the following would work?:-

1. Still keep ps4 for now. Clear/Tidy data so using under 1TB.

2. Buy ps4 Pro.

3. Before turning on ps4 Pro, take out 1TB HDD.

4. Use old HDD Caddy (currently got a 500gb with pictures on). Take out 500gb 'for now' and then put 1TB ps4 Pro HDD into it.

5. Format 1TB ps4 Pro HDD to exFAT via my laptop.

6. Sync all trophies etc and as I don't have a spare HDD to do a Spare Backup, I will use an old USB Stick and Backup Game Saves (just in case it fucks up then at least I have game saves - the PS+ subscription is via my Son's account that is on this machine so I can't back up saves to the cloud).

7. Connect 1TB ps4 Pro HDD to original ps4 and use Backup Option in Settings to create a Full Backup onto this 1TB HDD.

8. De-activate my account as Primary and my Son's account as Primary (he doesn't use this ps4) on this old ps4.

9. Then Initialise this old ps4.

10. Get USB stick and download latest FULL firmware into a PS4/UPDATE folder onto it via my laptop.

11. Put USB stick FULL Firmware of PS4/UPDATE into ps4 Pro before putting HDD in and turning on.

12. Take out 2TB HDD from old ps4 and put into ps4 Pro.

13. Turn on ps4 Pro and update firmware using USB stick, go through initial setup, skip everything until get to dashboard.

14. Take out USB stick and attach 1TB HDD with Full Backup Copy (of original ps4) and then select 'Restore' from the Settings.

15. Once it's done it'll restart; all accounts will be signed out and deactivated but it should otherwise 100% match your prior install. Re-sign into your accounts, set the console as primary (I will do my Son's account AND my account as I have some free updated ps4 games from the ps3 days).

16. Put USB stick FULL Firmware of PS4/UPDATE into original old ps4 before putting 1TB HDD in and turning on.

16. Disconnect 1TB HDD and put back into original old ps4.

17. Turn on original old ps4 and update firmware using USB stick, go through initial setup, skip everything until get to dashboard.

18. Sell original old ps4 (now with 1TB HDD instead of 500gb it came with as I've still got some pictures on this).

19. Put 500gb HDD back into its CADDY.

How does this sound?

Have I missed anything?

So I came here to see if I could get my 2tb HDD from my PS4 into my PS4 Pro and then stick the 1tb that comes in the Pro into my old PS4. Seems I can but wow that seem overly complicated.

I might just backup my important saves to the cloud and then just download everything from PSN.

So I came here to see if I could get my 2tb HDD from my PS4 into my PS4 Pro and then stick the 1tb that comes in the Pro into my old PS4. Seems I can but wow that seem overly complicated.

I might just backup my important saves to the cloud and then just download everything from PSN.

That's the best way to do things imho, else you are sitting around for hours on end whilst things restore with the system locked. At least if you download everything again you can start playing straight away with a disc game or a small download.

Impulsor

That's the best way to do things imho, else you are sitting around for hours on end whilst things restore with the system locked. At least if you download everything again you can start playing straight away with a disc game or a small download.

That is exactly what I'm gonna do.

I backed up my important saves and I'm just exchanging HDDs and installing Firmware from scratch.

Will download saves as needed and download anything I want from the internet as needed too.

300 mb connection so it won't be too painful.

How does this sound?

Have I missed anything?

What do you even mean by "risk"? All you need is just an ethernet cable. If there are some issues with your router you can just connect both PS4s directly to one another and don't use a router at all. There is no way this can't work unless you physically damaged ethernet port on your PS4. Whatever you are trying to do here sounds overly complicated.

That is exactly what I'm gonna do.

I backed up my important saves and I'm just exchanging HDDs and installing Firmware from scratch.

Will download saves as needed and download anything I want from the internet as needed too.

300 mb connection so it won't be too painful.

Yeah I'm running 200Mb so shouldn't take too long, my actual plan though with the Pro is just install my VR stuff and games I plan to play (most likely those with a Pro patch first)

Top Bottom