• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MP games will run at the same framerate across PS4 Pro and standard PS4

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I feel like this was a given. Why is anyone surprised? The non-upgraders would throw a fit if it was the other way around.

bombshell

Right, by better I don't mean going from 20 to 30 fps or something like that. I'd like a solid 60. I should've been clearer with that.

The topic is about MP games. What MP games other than Destiny are you playing in 30 fps? There's plenty of unstable 60 fps MP games on standard PS4, they all can run solid 60 on PS4Pro. Mandating the same framerate target does not prohibit that.

Harmen

I am no tech buff but it seems unlikely to me there won't be variations from the target fps when compared? For example, BF1, while having the same target, may still run better on better hardware? Makes no sense to emulate/port drops on/to stronger hardware for the sake of parity, right? (Please forgive the potentially wrong jargon).

Right, by better I don't mean going from 20 to 30 fps or something like that. I'd like a solid 60. I should've been clearer with that.

Thankfully the general target for multiplayer experiences is 60 fps on consoles these days.

Venom Fox

Banned
Want about people who have Pro and play in 4K? Surely that's an advantage.

Also BF1 is advertised as 60fps on the OG. We all know it's not constant but the Pro most likely will be. Is that not an advantage also?

bltn

The topic is about MP games. What MP games other than Destiny are you playing in 30 fps? There's plenty of unstable 60 fps MP games on standard PS4, they all can run solid 60 on PS4Pro. Mandating the same framerate target does not prohibit that.

I rarely play games at all on my PS4, mainly because of the low frame rates. And there's plenty more MP games than Destiny that's <= 30fps on PS4.

jimboton

What about games that allow for a choice of high detail vs high responsiveness, like Ni Oh or Rise of the Tomb Raider. That's going to become more and more common now. As long as the choice is there to play in 60 fps for any PS4 user, right?

Meaning they could give base PS4 Destiny users the option to play 900p60 and PS4 Pro users 1080p60.... That's of course if that Jaguar CPU were enough for locked 60 in Destiny and if Bungie gave an actual fuck about Destiny's PvP experience... we can all guess what the answers to both questions are.

So what does the 'pro' even stand for then? Generally speaking, 'pro' denotes a professional tool or software versus mainstream... but what do gaming pros get out of this hardware? I guess Youtube celebrities get to stream their gameplay in 4k... but is that really it?

I guess "pro" means about the same as "8-bit" these days...

Yikes, I mean I get it and that's very noble of Sony, but 60fps is way more important in multiplayer than it is in single player for me. I have very little reason to purchase this thing.

vg260

And too think they are people who when given the choice they will choose more effects at 30fps because there are no advantages gameplay wise with higher frame rate, or so they thought.

Yeah, suddenly people went from frame rate doesn't matter, to it's not fair if someone has a better frame rate.

Your latency (ping) has already thrown off the whole "level playing field on consoles" concept. The level playing field doesn't even exist now.

The argument against allowing differing frame rates is essentially ignorance is bliss.

jimboton

So umm.. since everyone must run at the same framerate and 4k is now offically the next big thing.. and it doesn't go beyond 30hz... won't this mean developers of mp games are going to move away from 60hz in order to allow for 4k gameplay and uniform framerate target across the board?

It's not just that base PS4 limitations may prevent PS4Pro from achieving 60 fps... The opposite may happen as well, if 4k starts being seen as a priority for publishers..

It truly is a stupid limitation.

Loudninja

Q: Will PS4 Pro owners have a performance advantage in online games when competing against standard PS4 players?
Generally, no. Playtesting and balancing is up to each game developer, and while it’s true that PS4 Pro’s more powerful hardware can drive smoother or more stable frame rates in supported titles, developers have many tools and processes they can use to prevent imbalances.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

So it is ultimately up to the developer rather than part of the Sony 'performance' approval process? That's pretty important, at least for games like Bloodborne or GTA V where it may have been hard to implement separate frame rates for SP and MP since you mostly just load the engine a single time and switch in-engine between modes rather seamlessly (just asset loading).

Want about people who have Pro and play in 4K? Surely that's an advantage.

Also BF1 is advertised as 60fps on the OG. We all know it's not constant but the Pro most likely will be. Is that not an advantage also?

It's not like original PS4 is running on an SDTV and unless you sit really close to the TV you're unlikely to notice things better. Again, unless you're really close I feel like 4K has huge diminishing returns.

Shame 1440P isn't like the new 720P and 4K was the new 1080P in current television sets. 1440P seems to be the sweet spot for gaming.

Cat Party

Why are people saying "makes sense" and "as expected"? One of the main reasons to buy more powerful hardware is to get a better and more stable framerate. This is a huge disappointment, if it's really true. Hopefully it is not an actual policy and developers can do what they want.

Hi everyone. Could any of you help clarify something I asked in another thread a while back.

Is 1080p the base requirement for all upcoming games running on the PS4 Pro starting from November?

I can't seem to find anything on this except an old eurogamer article.

The ultimate FAQ on PSBlog has this to say: "Following PS4 Pro’s launch on November 10 in North America, virtually all new PS4 game releases moving forward will be able to take advantage of PS4 Pro capabilities on day one, or in some cases shortly after launch via a free downloadable update.

Does that mean some games might not even support the Pro because the ability to take advantage and actually taking advantage are two different things, or am I reading it wrong?

joeblow

I read that to mean a pixel art 2D game like Shovel Knight won't be enhanced on the Pro, but all games will work on it.

Mr Git

I would be surprised if this were not the case. Closed off Pro only, or singleplayer maybe but not for both. Would create a noticeable rift. For those that can see if ofc

Hi everyone. Could any of you help clarify something I asked in another thread a while back.

Is 1080p the base requirement for all upcoming games running on the PS4 Pro starting from November?

I can't seem to find anything on this except an old eurogamer article.

The ultimate FAQ on PSBlog has this to say: "Following PS4 Pro’s launch on November 10 in North America, virtually all new PS4 game releases moving forward will be able to take advantage of PS4 Pro capabilities on day one, or in some cases shortly after launch via a free downloadable update.

Does that mean some games might not even support the Pro because the ability to take advantage and actually taking advantage are two different things, or am I reading it wrong?

I asked Shinobi about this, he said they have to make a pro mode but the only thing they are required to do is make it 1080p and make sure the frame rate isnt worse than the PS4 version.

So some games might do the bare minimum, some games might make a ton of improvements.

I read that to mean a pixel art 2D game like Shovel Knight won't be enhanced on the Pro, but all games will work on it.

I should be a bit more specific. Say a game comes out in 2017 that has a resolution of 900p on the original PS4, and say the devs of that particular game decide they don't want to provide an enhanced version for the pro consumers. Will Sony allow that?

Or is there a minimum resolution of native 1080p that every game needs to hit in order to be played on the pro from November.

I asked Shinobi about this, he said they have to make a pro mode but the only thing they are required to do is make it 1080p and make sure the frame rate isnt worse than the PS4 version.

So some games might do the bare minimum, some games might make a ton of improvements.

So there's a bare minimum that every dev must do for the Pro gamers. That's great news.

KageMaru

I can see why Sony mandates this and agree. Pro owners can still potentially get an upgrade or advantage by having more solid frame rates. If the target frame rate for BF is 60 but the OG PS4 hovers around 50, there's a good chance the Pro version will run at 60 most of the time.

I should be a bit more specific. Say a game comes out in 2017 that has a resolution of 900p on the original PS4, and say the devs of that particular game decide they don't want to provide an enhanced version for the pro consumers. Will Sony allow that?

Or is there a minimum resolution of native 1080p that every game needs to hit in order to be played on the pro from November.

I thought Sony has a policy where you have to show some form of graphical upgrade through a Pro mode.

Keasar

Isn't a higher image quality also a advantage? I mean, you can easier see targets far away in games like Battlefield if they are not as pixelated. :eek:

Isn't a higher image quality also a advantage? I mean, you can easier see targets far away in games like Battlefield if they are not as pixelated. :eek:

the same can be argued the other way around

people who are playing on PS4 Pro will have too many particles/effects/objects/textures/filters that make it harder to see your targets

I thought Sony has a policy where you have to show some form of graphical upgrade through a Pro mode.

That's what I was trying to clarify. I was wondering if every single game from November must include a Pro mode or would Sony leave that to the devs discretion.

chemicals

I don't get it. PC has people who can barely run the game playing against people with maxed out settings. How is this fair to the people who cough up the extra money for the Pro?

Top Bottom