• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MP games will run at the same framerate across PS4 Pro and standard PS4

terrible

Banned
Well there goes the entire reason why I'd even consider buying one. I'll stick to my normal PS4 and my PC then. Thanks for saving me money Sony.

I wonder if devs will purposefully make multiplayer PS4 games look worse, so they can run at 60fps, that way the PS4 Pro can run the same game at 60fps.

I wonder if this is actually true.

Technically it most likely isn't, it would be insane to try and replicate the exact same (e.g. GPU-related) frame drops.

Probably simply means no target framerate differences.

So for example if Battlefield 1 right now in beta is fluctuating between 45 to 60 fps, DICE can make the Pro version 60 fps stable and not violate Sony's "rules."

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I wonder if devs will purposefully make multiplayer PS4 games look worse, so they can run at 60fps, that way the PS4 Pro can run the same game at 60fps.

That's the only way to add value to the PS4pro version.
The bad thing is this means the games will start looking worse on OG PS4 than they do today.

I'm assuming this means the target? So if a game aims for 60fps on PS4 OG it may well be more consistent on the pro?
Shit: beaten.

They were never going to go with >60 as most TV's don't support it.. Right?

Considering most big mp games target 60 this seems to me like a non issue.

Metfanant

What were people actually expecting?...we've known for months that this thing wasn't going to be powerful enough on the CPU front to take games from 30-60...

Obviously games that target 60 but are not rock solid (battlefield) will run better on the Pro...but it was very obvious from the get go that a game like destiny where it's 30fps, was not going to get a 60fps patch...

Is that a problem? If you're a framerate nazi, isn't the pwrformance more important than the visuals anyway?

vg260

Well, for some of us, myself included, one of the reasons I like console competitive multiplayer games is the parity ensured between players. So there's certainly people who care about that.

There is no such thing as true parity on consoles. It's just perception. HDTV lag varies by TV, internet latency varies by provider/location, and not everyone is using positional sound. There's no need to pretend like everyone is playing with equal conditions already.

Excellent. And in that case, any competitive multiplayer game that takes itself semi-seriously is already targeted at 60 fps on PS4. Even Uncharted 4 does that.

But I guess for Destiny...that's a problem. But I think Activision will likely make it a considering to hit 60 fps MP for Destiny 2.

And as for games like Bloodborne, it's multiplayer component is mostly cooperative. In which case one person running at 60 fps with the other at 30 fps wouldn't matter because it's not competitive.

And if there is PVP going, just lock to 30 for those scenarios?

BONKERS

How about you tone down the visuals and make the PS4 base game look more like shit so it hits 60FPS and doesn't hold back the rest of us?

It's not like this is like allowing people to play KB*M at 60FPS against 30FPS controller players.

So why would anyone choose console MP over PC multiplayer when they are gimped because of the old model?

TP

Amusing, are they going to crack down on KB+M console setups and disallow fight sticks and other specialized controllers too?

720p, 1080p, 4k only lobbies?

EL CUCO

I wish they would put out a survey about this, before making such a stupid decision.

People play MP games on PC with performance differences all the time. Never heard anyone bitching about it.

If the pro is for the "core gamer", then why gimp those willing to spend the extra money for it?

What were people actually expecting?...we've known for months that this thing wasn't going to be powerful enough on the CPU front to take games from 30-60...

Obviously games that target 60 but are not rock solid (battlefield) will run better on the Pro...but it was very obvious from the get go that a game like destiny where it's 30fps, was not going to get a 60fps patch...

Is that a problem? If you're a framerate nazi, isn't the pwrformance more important than the visuals anyway?

But don't PS4 Pro bros want the visual and the framerate?

This is why none of these high end consoles mean much until a new generation begins. I hate the idea of each successor being tied down to older hardware. I understand it though.

Macrotus

https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/773620695532273665

rlY0dDJ.png

well then

Makes sense.
If they differed that would lead to Pro users having advantages.
Those things are present on PC, but people being able to play multiplayer on the same environment (fps/res) is one of the biggest aspects of console gaming.

duhmetree

Oh right, well to clarify, 60 for PVE side and 30 on the PVP side. This way would be totally fair.

60fps is needed for PvP more than PvE.

If anything bring Crucible PvP resolution down to 900p60 for PS4. Just as UC4 and the upcoming Battlefied did.

I kinda hope for this. It would be best for the game itself if say Destiny ran at a dynamic resolution on OG PS4 and full 1080/dynamic 4K on the Pro.

duhmetree

Destiny just recently got private matches and some MLG recognition.

It's the only competitive FPS, that I know of, that's stuck at 30fps for PvP. Please Bungie. 60fps for pvp.

packy34

This makes absolutely zero sense and is just another indication that Sony didn't think this thing through.

PC has been doing this since games have existed, basically. I have a 980ti, but only a 1080p/60hz monitor. I'm still gold ranked in R6 Siege. I don't really feel that people with 144hz displays have that much of a meaningful advantage over me. I think it would be even less relevant on consoles since everyone has to use the less-accurate controller with thumbsticks (aim speed is much slower).

I guess this thing is only for people who play exclusively single-player games.

vin-buc

I wonder if this is actually true.

Technically it most likely isn't, it would be insane to try and replicate the exact same (e.g. GPU-related) frame drops.

Probably simply means no target framerate differences.

Keeping that Destiny hope alive!!

risq_aus

Banned
I don't see what the big deal is, this is a bit of a slap in the face for anyone buying the new unit who mainly plays games like CoD etc. people have been doing this for literally decades on PC.

Sony has failed to provide a compelling product imo.

vin-buc

I don't see what the big deal is, this is a bit of a slap in the face for anyone buying the new unit who mainly plays games like CoD etc. people have been doing this for literally decades on PC.

Sony has failed to provide a compelling product imo.

Are there any other MP shooters that aren't already 60fps other than Destiny tho?

No_Style

well BF1 (and most MP games) run at 60fps anyway?

BF1 targets 60FPS but it struggles to sustain it. I'm willing to bet BF1 on PS4 Pro will hit that target more consistently because like Durante said: it would be insane for them to match framerate drops. And thus there will be an advantage for PS4 Pro players. It's not cut and dry like 30 vs 60 but it's enough.

Seriously though, it would be a technical achievement in itself to emulate the exact same framerate drops between Bonaire and Polaris.

vin-buc

Destiny, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Tom Clancy's The Division, Battleborn
lol

I listed Destiny. KZ Shadowfall is 60fps (variable) in multiplayer tho. I forgot about The Division.

Battleborn - hahaha

EDIT: sorry for double-post

So BF1 will run at 900p with 40-50fps on PS4 Pro as well? Can someone confirm if BF1 will take advantage of PS4 Pro specs and finally put out a native 1080p/stable60fps battlefield title. Dreams of BF4 1080p/60fps on PS4 Pro glory has been crushed, ARGH!

Top Bottom