• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MP games will run at the same framerate across PS4 Pro and standard PS4

Tagyhag

Good news. I would never buy a online game that did that. SP games are one thing, but giving advatages to online games? Hell no.

Would you buy an online game where people have any sort of advantage over you?

Because chances are, you already have.

Better TV's
Better Internet
Using a mouse on an FPS game

You may not have realized it, but it happens.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wonder if this is actually true.

Technically it most likely isn't, it would be insane to try and replicate the exact same (e.g. GPU-related) frame drops.

Probably simply means no target framerate differences.

Haha, that would be funny, to try to replicate the same framerate drops.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So BF1 will still run at a jumpy 40ish fps?

It'll probably run smoother. I'm guessing this means it has to have the same target framerate. Can't be 30 on one and 60 on the other but can target 60 on both and hit it more consistently.

Muzicfreq

Banned
No 60fps No Man's Sky?
zdBY6CK.gif

You guys don't play single-player games? Not that there's anything wrong with only playing multiplayer games, I'm just asking.
Of course we do. From what we've seen so far any improvement is marginal at best. No UHD Blurray support. 4K isn't even mainstream and probably will never be (it'll be like the EDTV, just watch). This system was a waste of time, money and manpower.

Stupid decision and wouldn't make much difference anyway. Another reason not to buy.

Both Sony and ms have no clue what so called hardcore gamers want. Pro tip it isn't 4k .

Plum

Would you rather segregate PS4 Pro and regular PS4 players?

Microsoft did it with the Xbox Elite controller and its communities didn't fall apart.

The PC has been doing it since the dawn of man yet its communities haven't fallen apart either.

SuperSah

Banned
To those asking about BF1 - there is no way to know yet. Game may be 60fps by launch, it was a BETA. Rush ran pretty much close to 60fps the whole time.

vg260

If that's true they should disable surround sound in multiplayer because not everyone wants to spend the extra money on a system that gives them better positional awareness. It's not fair, right?

I also thought most people didn't care about frame rate? Now suddenly it's not cool because someone might pay more for it? No one cared or could tell a difference until there's some sort of perceived edge?

So the Pro is only worthwhile for single player games?

I don't expect many games will increase framerate anyway. The console seems so unbalanced with the added GPU power and just a minor overclocked CPU. Effects, resolution bumps, I can see but the CPU has to be a ball and chain for framerate for games not already targeting 60 fps.

Fitts

Good. Only other thing I need to know is if they'll continue to use the vanilla hardware as a performance baseline and then "upgrade" games when running on the Pro.

HoodWinked

so BF4 on PS4 ran between 44-60fps. so would the ps4 pro mimic these frame drops or would it just run at the capped 60fps.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its not as if games would not run at the same framerate period considering they are still using jaguar. The only difference is the FPS will be much smoother on PRO. So they will both be targeting 60fps in BF1, but only Pro will hit that goal consistently

Arrrammis

By the sound of these "new" consoles, I expected them to start emulating PC gaming just a bit (you can pay more for a better console with better fps/graphics). If someone paid for the better, more expensive console, then they should get the better graphics. Outside of the hardcore competitive scene, most players don't get a major advantage or disadvantage from 30fps vs. 60fps gameplay wise. Most people, myself included, just want to have a better looking, smoother experience and are willing to pay a little extra to get that. I'm willing to bet that the really hardcore competitive players would get the Pro regardless because higher graphics=easier to see targets at long range, etc., so why not give the more casual players a little something?

You guys don't play single-player games? Not that there's anything wrong with only playing multiplayer games, I'm just asking.

I play some single player stuff(Stuff like Uncharted 4 or Witcher 3 mainly, occasional indie), but those usually only last for ~20 hours if they're well made (witcher is the definite exception). They're still definitely worth the cost, but I put way more time into multiplayer titles, like Destiny, World of Tanks, Overwatch, etc. because they really have a lot more to do IMO, so I tend to look more at the fps for those since that's where I spend more of my gaming time.

Maztorre

There goes yet another reason to buy this hardware. I was holding off on a playstation purchase to see what would be done with exclusive titles like Destiny/Bloodborne on the PS4P, but if they're going to keep intentionally gimping what is supposedly a premium experience then what's the point? By this logic they shouldn't offer anything more than stereo sound and 4:3 in case struggle players lose at Bloodborne PvP.

Funny how the PC supports all manner of arbitrary resolutions, image quality, audio, and input setups while simultaneously being where almost all of the major competitive play happens.

Hoje0308

Banned
I wonder if this is actually true.

Technically it most likely isn't, it would be insane to try and replicate the exact same (e.g. GPU-related) frame drops.

Probably simply means no target framerate differences.

This is what I assume to be the case.

NHale

This was expected and one of the many reasons why I don't like this trend.

Now every developer have 2 consoles to develop a game, they know they can't target a different framerate for multiplayer but at the same time they know they can achieve 60fps with the PS4 Pro but will never be able to reach it with PS4 Basic, so what will they do?

I'm betting 99% of the games will just target 60fps and then they will just have the PS4 Basic suffer from heavily unstable framerate or drop the effects in multiplayer to make it reach 60fps for the majority of the time. In the end PS4 Basic owners will suffer from this and/or PS4 Pro owners will not get everything they could and the same will happen 12 months from now when Microsoft does their thing as well.

A mess in my opinion.

so BF4 on PS4 ran between 44-60fps. so would the ps4 pro mimic these frame drops or would it just run at the capped 60fps.

They aren't going to mimmick the same framerate drops with a more powerful hardware. Since the hardware will not be as constrained the game will run as it should, which will most likely be 60fps under most circunstances unlike PS4 Basic. They can't just target 30fps for PS4 Basic and 60fps for PS4 Pro.

Variables that already give advantages in multiplayer games on Sony consoles:

• Internet Speed
  • Proximity to servers
  • TV
  • Controllers
  • Headsets
  • Framerate
  • Resolution

Sony already has cross platform games with the PC. They are already allowing their players to play at what they call a disadvantage. This is bullshit.

dsk1210

Well they have took away a huge incentive for me to pick up a ps4 pro.

Are they going to include framedrops at the same time as well?

/s

vg260

I wonder if most people who would be upset about the PS4 Pro having some sort of advantage are currently playing on their HDTV without game mode on, and all the lag-introducing picture enhancements on. I would wager a lot.

Maztorre

I wonder if most people who would be upset about the PS4 Pro having some sort of advantage are currently playing on their HDTV without game mode on, and all the lag-introducing picture enhancements on. I would wager a lot.

While playing on their mum's shitty wi-fi 3 rooms away. Gotta keep that 30fps lock #4theplayers tho

Pastry

Banned
I'm basically a multiplayer only guy so I'll see what other benefits BF1 gets from Pro before I decide. Definitely not day 1 on Pro though.

console gamers already play multiplayer games using televisions that vary in image output latency and sometimes with specialized controllers. I don't understand this.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
PS4 Pro? More like PS4 Pointless....this thing has no reason to exist

Top Bottom