• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MP games will run at the same framerate across PS4 Pro and standard PS4

Foxxsoxx

I understand that Sony doesn't want there to be unbalance in framerates, but that being said this isn't selling me on it at all. That was one of the highlights I was wanting.

Metfanant

I understand that Sony doesn't want there to be unbalance in framerates, but that being said this isn't selling me on it at all. That was one of the highlights I was wanting :

For months we have known that the specs of the Pro did not align with taking existing PS4 games from 30fps to 60fps...the CPU boost just isn't there...

What we got was a significantly more powerful GPU...which lends itself to higher resolutions, and prettier graphics...

So BF1 will run at 900p with 40-50fps on PS4 Pro as well? Can someone confirm if BF1 will make advantage of PS4 Pro specs and finally put out a native 1080p/stable60fps battlefield title. Dreams of BF4 1080p/60fps on PS4 Pro glory has been crushed, ARGH!

If the developer documents that leaked are to be believed (they had the specs spot on)...than 1080p is the minimum res for Pro games...and the framerate will almost CERTAINLY be smoother than on the OG PS4...

Will it be a rock solid 60fps? Idk...but I would put money on it being at least 1080p and a smoother framerate than the OG PS4 version

Why would this even be up to Sony.... It's going to be an enforced standard?

Seems like it should be up to devs, considering that frame rate is just one of many reasons why one player could have an advantage over another. Can't imagine it would be a bigger factor than poorly matched player skill or even latency. I play BF Hardline on PS4 and I see folks with shit latency all the time.

I mean, especially considering how many games have online-enabled modes...GTA V for example... MP and SP are not separate engine loads. You load the core game and you switch between MP and SP no different than switching between Michael and Trevor.

Foxxsoxx

For months we have known that the specs of the Pro did not align with taking existing PS4 games from 30fps to 60fps...the CPU boost just isn't there...

What we got was a significantly more powerful GPU...which lends itself to higher resolutions, and prettier graphics...

If the developer documents that leaked are to be believed (they had the specs spot on)...than 1080p is the minimum res for Pro games...and the framerate will almost CERTAINLY be smoother than on the OG PS4...

Will it be a rock solid 60fps? Idk...but I would put money on it being at least 1080p and a smoother framerate than the OG PS4 version

I haven't been keeping up with the threads with the leaks. I just knew Neo was a thing.

RedSwirl

How much of a problem is this on PC really?

I've heard about people who play Counter-Strike on the lowest graphics settings possible to get the highest framerate possible.

dose

Lame. Differences in framerate already happens regularly on PC and the world has kept turning.
Just because it happens on PC doesn't mean it's the way it should be. You want as much of an even playing field as possible, especially since you're paying to play against others.

catspit

All you guys talking about Destiny 2.. Wouldn't the PS5 be right around the corner when that actually gets released? Talking a few years here right?

Otnopolit

I've heard about people who play Counter-Strike on the lowest graphics settings possible to get the highest framerate possible.

This leads me to thinking about how we would treat this news if a PC developer decided to cap FPS on their competitive games to help out gamers with lesser rigs. That would be ridiculous. You paid money for a better PC to play the game, just like you would (presumabely) pay money for an upgraded PS4Pro to have better FPS and visual fidelity. I think it's a bad move, and does not give consumers who already have a PS4 any more incentive (and as for me, less) to upgrade.

Please be true!!!

Can't they just let us PS4 PRO players queue with each other? and if you want to play with your friend it puts you at 30fps. bleh

catspit

This leads me to thinking about how we would treat this news if a PC developer decided to cap FPS on their competitive games to help out gamers with lesser rigs. That would be ridiculous. You paid money for a better PC to play the game, just like you would (presumabely) pay money for an upgraded PS4Pro to have better FPS and visual fidelity. I think it's a bad move, and does not give consumers who already have a PS4 any more incentive (and me for me, less) to upgrade.

When you relate it to PC's that's a strong argument.

HardRojo

I guess an option to play with PS4 and Pro players separately would divide the user base too much. It makes sense if you see it that way I suppose.

duhmetree

Either this will hurt the Pro PS4 (frame capped) or this will hurt the OG PS4 (lower res).

This is it right here...

For the most part however, Destiny is the one game that is stuck at 30fps for multiplayer. We'll have to see what they do, I'm sure Bungie will address it soon.

Nzyme32

PC is a different animal though. People are free to choose how they want to play. They can attempt higher framerates and lower fidelity to suit them, or might only be able to play at low framerates, but still want to play, or want to play with a gamepad rather than mouse and keyboard - it doesn't matter.

In an ecosystem of 2 systems and no choice for the lower spec system to adapt for those that might want to, it matters - just as it does for those on PC who can't play how they want and do care about about playing without compromise

I'm not liking the PS4 pro concept. If they want a more powerful console, they should go all in. Either make a new generation or take the iOS model. This half step weirdness is just confusing to consumers.

It's almost certainly going to be better framerates IF it's under the framerate target. I would put money on games naturally running 30 or 60 as opposed to constant dips you may see otherwise.

BigEmil

They should do this.

Enable 60fps in multiplayer leave on for example like in Destiny you and others are in a team against the game enemies.

But in PvP turn it to same fps as the OG PS4

I remember time ago on my PC laptop, had to put it at lowest settings on Counter Strike and I ranged from 35-50fps

If this is true this sucks. We have higher frame-rates in multiplayer on PC. Oh well.

I guess it's apart of delivering an equal gameplay experience.

TaKeRx

Hmmm... I don't know how I feel about this because it makes sense why they chose to do that, but now all of that power wasted...

quest

Not Banned from OT
Hmmm... I don't know how I feel about this because it makes sense why they chose to do that, but now all of that power wasted...

No it does not make sense. There is always going to be unfair advantages. Are they going to ban Scuff controllers which are a bigger advantage than frame rate. Are they going to lag out low ping users to even the playing field. It is just stupid to do this and I say this as someone who is not buying a pro. If a person wants to spend the cash they should get the benefit.

Coxy100

Banned
Variables that already give advantages in multiplayer games on Sony consoles:

• Internet Speed
  • Proximity to servers
  • TV
  • Controllers
  • Headsets
  • Framerate
  • Resolution

Sony already has cross platform games with the PC. They are already allowing their players to play at what they call a disadvantage. This is bullshit.
You make a fair point - but this would be a massive advantage compared to your list...

And too think they are people who when given the choice they will choose more effects at 30fps because there are no advantages gameplay wise with higher frame rate, or so they thought.

MysteryM

Uh I don't understand why people are complaining about this.

I have no plans now to buy a PS4 Pro and will just be getting a scorpio, however, this is sensible and I can see that Microsoft will come out with the same mandate for multiplayer.

You can't have competitive multiplayer running at different frame rates as this gives the higher framerate user an advantage.

What I'd expect to see is more use of dynamic scaling, thereby the xbox one\ps4 versions running at 60fps also but compromising on resolution a la' halo 5. Therefore the issue becomes mute as the lower power console is also hitting a lower resolution but maintaining a higher framerate, e.g. battfield one running at 720p on xbox one but at 60fps.

Having the same mandate for a single player game would be stupid obviously, even when online co-op is concerned as that shouldn't matter because each version's player will have a choice as to who they play with and so I'd be see framerate differences.

Skulldead

It actually not a problem, Sony just trying to solve a problem that not even exist....

bombshell

I'm baffled by some of the posts in this thread. It sounds like some seriously believe that an MP game on standard PS4 running in 60 FPS with frequent dips way below the target (like BF4 64p Conquest) is mandated to have the exact same dips on Pro. That's obviously not the case and it's allowed and likely to run without any dips.

OCD Guy

I'm baffled by some of the posts in this thread. It sounds like some seriously believe that an MP game on standard PS4 running in 60 FPS with frequent dips way below the target (like BF4 64p Conquest) is mandated to have the exact same dips on Pro. That's obviously not the case and it's allowed and likely to run without any dips.

Exactly.

So while a 30fps multiplayer game will not have an unlocked framerate on the Pro, a 60fps game or game with an unlocked framerate will run smoother/ suffer from less framerate drops on the pro.

The only way they'll ensure IDENTICAL performance is if the Pro runs in some sort of Legacy Mode where the cpu and gpu clocks are downclocked to the same as the original PS4.

There are similar discussions in other threads but in my mind the Pro will result in smoother framerates regardless of whether a game is patched or not. In a game with an unlocked framerate the Pro will likely run at a higher framerate, and a 30fps game with drops on the original PS4 will likely run smoother too.

All that's happening with regards to multiplayer is the frame rate limit or cap, will be the same.

PS4 Pro will likely run these MP games with way less framerate drops so Pro owners still get value. When Battlefield 1 is dropping to 40fps on the base model it might only dip 55fps on the Pro. That's just a hypothetical example.

I could play on a low latency monitor or buy one of those controllers with paddles to get a competitive advantage but I can't play the game at 60fps

Wasn't looking to buy one of these now I really don't wanna buy their ice cream sandwich monstrosity

bombshell

Exactly.

So while a 30fps multiplayer game will not have an unlocked framerate on the Pro, a 60fps game or game with an unlocked framerate will run smoother/ suffer from less framerate drops on the pro.

The only way they'll ensure IDENTICAL performance is if the Pro runs in some sort of Legacy Mode where the cpu and gpu clocks are downclocked to the same as the original PS4.

There are similar discussions in other threads but in my mind the Pro will result in smoother framerates regardless of whether a game is patched or not. In a game with an unlocked framerate the Pro will likely run at a higher framerate, and a 30fps game with drops on the original PS4 will likely run smoother too.

All that's happening with regards to multiplayer is the frame rate limit or cap, will be the same.

My example with Battlefield 4 is not the best example, because that is not confirmed to be getting a Pro patch, so if for whatever dumb reason a legacy mode with downclocks exists, unpatched games will only see marginal improvements if any.

Battlefield 1 is a better example. It will likely have a very unstable 64p Conquest framerate on PS4, but is obviously allowed to run fully locked 60 on Pro.

Alphahawk

Good on Sony. I know some people may be frustrated with the decision, but it really is the only fair way to handle it. It'd be nice if they could have a PSPRO mode though, which is activated when it realizes that all players are using the upgraded system.

Hasney

I don't understand. Me and my friend play Overwatch on PC fine and she's on 30fps and I'm over 100. I know there's advantages, but they're tiny compared to skill.

Peoples input lag on TVs is a bigger barrier than framerate.

bltn

All right, I'll pass on the Pro then. The only reason I'd want to get one was for a better frame rate at 1080p, in all games.

OCD Guy

PS4 Pro will likely run these MP games with way less framerate drops so Pro owners still get value. When Battlefield 1 is dropping to 40fps on the base model it might only dip 55fps on the Pro. That's just a hypothetical example.

My example with Battlefield 4 is not the best example, because that is not confirmed to be getting a Pro patch, so if a legacy mode with downclocks exists, unpatched games will only see marginal improvements if any.

Battlefield 1 is a better example. It will likely have a very unstable 64p Conquest framerate on PS4, but is obviously allowed to run fully locked 60 on Pro.

The above is exactly how I see things panning out. The better hardware will result in brute force improvements to framerate in those games that suffer from framerate drops etc

The same principle applies to any software and hardware, whether it be pc, or games running on mobiles, tablets etc. More powerful hardware will provide performance improvements. The only way it won't is if some sort of artificial limits are imposed or there is indeed a legacy mode.

What will likely happen on top of that though is Pro owners will have more AA, higher res textures etc if a specific patch is released. Also while many people are making a big deal about framerate parity, you're aware resolution can make a big difference in first person shooters right? Seriously play a game at 4k and you can spot the tiniest details more clearly. It's not as though there's going to be a resolution cap for parity lol.

Zia

Can't even make a decent controller yet people are talking about "unfair advantages" in multiplayer. Hopefully Sony can standardize everyone's television and broadband as well.

Alphahawk

I don't understand. Me and my friend play Overwatch on PC fine and she's on 30fps and I'm over 100. I know there's advantages, but they're tiny compared to skill.

Peoples input lag on TVs is a bigger barrier than framerate.

I would imagine that for most consumers (who aren't accustomed to PC gaming) that hearing that there is a difference between systems, that could give one an advantage would pretty much kill any excitement they had towards multiplayer. It doesn't matter how small a window that actually is, because if you have to explain it like that, than you're the bad guy. Microsoft could easily come out and say "There's a framerate lock on our system" and all of the Call of Duty kids would flock over to them.

robo

so the latest vidoc from sony and cerny is about the new DS4 which can be usb connected to give a faster response time when playing fighting games.

Will they then nerf it when someone on an old DS4 joins the game!!

What a crock of shit Sony.

OCD Guy

I would imagine that for most consumers (who aren't accustomed to PC gaming) that hearing that there is a difference between systems, that could give one an advantage would pretty much kill any excitement they had towards multiplayer. It doesn't matter how small a window that actually is, because if you have to explain it like that, than you're the bad guy. Microsoft could easily come out and say "There's a framerate lock on our system" and all of the Call of Duty kids would flock over to them.

You're right, although I see the flip side too.

Imagine one console having the "advantage" little Johnny and his friends would want to have the console with the better framerate lol

KORNdoggy

obviously. it'd be an advantage otherwise...but then 4k would be too technically since you'd see more detail further out.

bombshell

so the latest vidoc from sony and cerny is about the new DS4 which can be usb connected to give a faster response time when playing fighting games.

Will they then nerf it when someone on an old DS4 joins the game!!

What a crock of shit Sony.

Same framerate target does not mean running the same framerate at all times.

This is one of those things that sound like it should be a problem, but really isn't, but people still act like it is.
Like voter id fraud

Most games that pretty much must have a 60fps already has it. SFV for example. but Battlefield? eh. If you really care about getting the best frames is that important to you, you were gonna get the Pro anyway or you already play on PC. Also i really agree that this shouldn't apply to co-op

NHale

Same framerate target does not mean running the same framerate at all times.

For some reason this announcement really revealed how most people don't understand how framerate works especially in a uncontrolled environment like multiplayer considering many expect that everything will be the same (even in patched games).

You simply can't replicate the entire scenarios that create framedrops on OG PS4 (unless you cap the specs available to run MP game) because maybe one is when 12 players are inside building C while a plane is fighting a tank outside, while a explosion from a smoke grenade starts to kick in. In that scenario the OG PS4 specs will not be enough to be able to mantain the 60fps target, which causes it to drop. On PS4 Pro specs maybe the constraint isn't there because of the upgraded GPU and upclocked CPU, which maintains a constant 60fps.

And as a OG PS4 owner what is more scary is that developers will probably start be more ambitious on their games which will make MP on OG PS4 to start running at lower resolutions than usual just to maintain the required 60fps to comply with this requirement.

Top Bottom