• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MP games will run at the same framerate across PS4 Pro and standard PS4

Midas

console gamers already play multiplayer games using televisions that vary in image output latency and sometimes with specialized controllers. I don't understand this.

Yeah, strange decision. As others already wrote; PC have lots of different hardware configs which results in different fps.

Mechazawa

This is an incredibly stupid and unnecessary stance that seems to act as an olive branch for potential butthurt babies more than anything else.

Bolivar687

Banned
The biggest competitive multiplayer games already run at 60fps.

Destiny is understandably an exception but is the base game even getting a Pro update? I would hope D2, unchained from last gen, goes 60.

nOoblet16

So what about situations where you have a 900P/60FPS game vs 1080P/60FPS, in a game like Battlefield the extra pixels would mean a lot of clarity at far off enemies leading to advantage.

I wonder if more and more games will start to do what UC4 did @ MP @ 900p/60 and then get 1080p/60 for the Pro.

still unfair to standard ps4 since pro users have better clarity with their crisp resolution.

might as well just rename this thing PS4ThanksForBuyingTheSameSystemAgainDumbass

So what about situations where you have a 900P/60FPS game vs 1080P/60FPS, in a game like Battlefield the extra pixels would mean a lot of clarity at far off enemies leading to advantage.

Or an FoV slider. Or the ability to remap buttons.

None of this is restricted on PC. Sony/MS and devs, stop treating the console audience like children.

Gator86

This is an incredibly stupid and unnecessary stance that seems to act as an olive branch for potential butthurt babies more than anything else.

I think you're underestimating the butthurt. I've already lost track of the number of people I've seen saying they feel like second class citizens along with a couple of PSPoors. This sucks, but it would be astounding to see Sony let the framerates vary.

ThisOne

So Battlefield 1 multiplayer won't look or run any better on the PS4 Pro compared to regular PS4?

:(

Maybe someone can clarify or correct me.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
You can't be serious in thinking this was happening with Destiny....

Destiny 2 is when it matters

Destiny 2 will need to compromise graphic fidelity to achieve 60 fps on OG hardware. This will kneecap the PS4pro owners experience.

Alternatively everything will be locked at 30 which kneecaps PS4 and PS4pro owners.

There isn't a good way around this for a multiplayer game if Sony demands parity.

Gator86

Destiny 2 will need to compromise graphic fidelity to achieve 60 fps on OG hardware. This will kneecap the PS4pro owners experience.

Alternatively everything will be locked at 30 which kneecaps the PS4pro owners.

There isn't a good way around this for a multiplayer game if Sony demands parity.

Just like the PS3, the ogPS4 is going to be an albatross around the neck of the PSpro. There's a reason it seems like the only messaging they put any thought into was ensuring people know it's not a new console gen.

Jamaro85

This is really disappointing if Soulsborne games being "multiplayer" cause them to be restricted on PS4 Pro with this parity. It would be funny if having online mode turned off allowed you access to a higher rate. They are really going to need to clear up some of the ambiguity here. One of the reasons I've been wanting the Pro was for higher frame rates, Soulsborne games being a big part of that.

Rey

I think its just marketing talk. How the hell can they achieve this when the game doesn't have locked framerate. I would't worry about this too much. Obviously when its a locked 30fps multiplayer game u will not get the locked 60fps version on the PS4 PRO.

"Here's this amazing new system and what it could possibly do but won't because it wouldn't be fair to others"

Great selling point.
fred-sanford-o.gif

kriskrosbbk

I'm assuming this isn't true for game with a variable framerate like Battlefield 1 though? They can lock it to 60fps on Pro even though the PS4 dips down to 45 because its 60fps some / most of the time

I guess you are right.But I really hope we get a smooth game even on OG PS4.Beta was not.I am sure tho this one will look awesome on Pro.

Would anyone think otherwise? Wouldn't the ps4 pro players have a massive advantage at a higher frame rate?

Yeah it would almost be like those pc players with the titan's running at 144 fps vs that guy with the potato pc.... This already happens, Why does it matter?

Lame. Differences in framerate already happens regularly on PC and the world has kept turning.

Well, for some of us, myself included, one of the reasons I like console competitive multiplayer games is the parity ensured between players. So there's certainly people who care about that.

Yeah it would almost be like those pc players with the titan's running at 144 fps vs that guy with the potato pc.... This already happens, Why does it matter?

So because it already happens it's a good thing? Also PC and consoles are 2 completely different experiences and people have completely different expectations for the 2. Its foolish to compare them.

jgf

Well then I won't buy it. I hope Sony changes course. I've never changed so quickly between day one buy decision and don't care at all. This can't be a good sign for this system

a916

Have you been on NeoGAF? lol... there would be a firestorm if they went the other way with this.

Rey

The Playstation gamer is a bit more sensitive about the whole equal thing.

Chille

I think this is an awesome choice and PC games should do the same thing imo, makes the playing field more even.

Juzzomac

Neo Member
Maybe a dangerous assumption, but doesn't this still benefit games with variable frame rate?

The way I think it works is that a game simply can't have two different frame rate caps, ie 30fps and 60fps.

A game like Battlefield 1 is locked at 60fps, with the regular PS4 dropping to 45 (or whatever the amount is) at times.

On PS4Pro, the game is still locked at 60fps but thanks to being more powerful will hit that more of the time (or even be always locked on it)

Surely this is the way it's happening? Would be bewildering if PS4pro users would be forced to have frame drop parity.

ThisOne

This unless someone can explain to me gaming wise, the point of getting this.

Slightly better graphics, resolution, and framerate for single player (maybe multiplayer? still not clear). If that matters to you, great. If it doesn't, no need to really get the system.

Rey

Maybe a dangerous assumption, but doesn't this still benefit games with variable frame rate?

The way I think it works is that a game simply can't have two different frame rate caps, ie 30fps and 60fps.

A game like Battlefield 1 is locked at 60fps, with the regular PS4 dropping to 45 (or whatever the amount is) at times.

On PS4Pro, the game is still locked at 60fps but thanks to being more powerful will hit that more of the time (or even be always locked on it)

Surely this is the way it's happening? Would be bewildering if PS4pro users would be forced to have frame drop parity.

Exactly my point above. Its just not possible any other way.

Games with fluctuating framerates like Battlefield 1 will absolutely be solid 60 on Pro. Both are 'running at 60fps', after all. I think they ultimately mean no 30 vs 60fps differences.

No reason DS3 or BB couldn't be 60fps in Offline Mode btw.

Edit: beaten by a fellow genius

Top Bottom