• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Shifty |OT| Shift Happens

Tesser

Spoiler warning for anyone who cares about length/run-time. I beat the game (again, to clarify, not to speed-run or intentionally finish as quick as possible) in
just under 3 hours
but I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy what I played of it. The last few stages really do crank up the challenge - good luck to anyone trying to 100% the game in regards to not dying at all on any level.

And here's another spanner in the works: not that big a fan of Hotline Miami but I really like the main gimmick/mechanic in this game moreso.

AHA-Lambda

A 5, damn. Seems like the main criticism is thay it outstays its welcome. Thanks for posting!

As for the title, thought I'd keep all the R&M references to the thread body :)

Outstays its welcome? And it's like only 4 hours long? Yeesh.

Spoiler warning for anyone who cares about length/run-time. I beat the game (again, to clarify, not to speed-run or intentionally finish as quick as possible) in
just under 3 hours
but I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy what I played of it. The last few stages really do crank up the challenge - good luck to anyone trying to 100% the game in regards to not dying at all on any level.

And here's another spanner in the works: not that big a fan of Hotline Miami but I really like the main gimmick/mechanic in this game moreso.

Is there much in terms of replayability? Things to collect, achievements, etc?

Coda

Do people think we'll get a day one patch for the game? Wonder if the tech issues are just from a pre-release build.

I'm actually very surprised at the low scores. I absolutely loved the game! I mostly played in handheld mode and this game is perfect for short bursts. Sure, the mechanics are fairly straightforward, but it's a lot of fun to just rampage through the enemies.

My full review is at Nintendo Times - I gave it a 9 out of 10 and think it's one of the better games on the system. Of course this isn't the first time I've been on opposite sides of a Game Informer review.
I'm torn :/ I want to give it a go but I've been spending a lot on Switch games recently. I might just wait until it goes on sale.

Also: while I know this is also the case in Hotline Miami, what exactly is the justification for lack of mid-level saving given how many attempts some floors can take to complete? It doesn't actually increase the difficulty or the penalty for dying, since there are checkpoints after every floor with infinite continues; all it seems to do is arbitrarily punish players who might prefer to play for shorter sessions.

watershed

Banned
Yeah, I really wanted this and it was the coolest looking game at the very good Nindies Direct but I won't reward such laziness/ncompetence.

I wouldn't call it laziness. I don't think any developer trying to make a good game is sitting around not doing their work. But whether it's time constraints or other priorities, I personally have pretty low tolerance for performance issues so I will definitely pass on this.

jwk94

Do people think we'll get a day one patch for the game? Wonder if the tech issues are just from a pre-release build.

No patch planned at this time. Here's what tinyBuild told me when I asked:

We've seen this bug in a small amount of users devices, but it didn't come up during our testing or Nintendo testing. If this becomes a mass-spread issue, we will think of something!

Felensis

Banned
Was excited for this, but first impressions don't sound very promising. Picked up GEM instead and I'm loving it! Also still busy with BotW wrap-up, Fast RMX, Shovel Knight and Snake Pass :p

newsguy

I'm really surprised at how dead this thread is. With the handful of good games in Switch at the moment, and the possibility of a good hotline miami clone for $15, I would think many would be thrilled. Unfortunately these reviews have me a little down. I beat the original hm on my Vita and it remains my favorite Vita game. Of course, the music and art were top tier stuff. If this isn't at least doing the peripheral stuff well, to mask other not-so-hot things, it may not be worth the time.

Getting there...crappy work internet.

d8lPGKy.jpg

Played the first 4 floors. I really liked it but I already run into performance issues.
When the screen is crowded, the game slows down to a crawl.

ryushe

Played the first 4 floors. I really liked it but I already run into performance issues.
When the screen is crowded, the game slows down to a crawl.

Damn.

Performance issues usually doesn't bother me, but in a game like this, that seems like a big problem. Gonna have to skip for now and wait for a patch.

Kureransu

Yep. Gets real bad in the last half.

I'm pretty sure the slight pause when the weapon breaks is intentional as a kinda "heads-up" to the player.

Man i actually bought a card to get this today. I'm not completely against it yet. but, that's a little disheartening. Have you reached out to the devs via twitter or the like yet?

I just reached out via twitter asking about a possible patch. Will update when i hear back.

I'll wait for a patch. With Wonder Boy dropping next week, I'm in no rush to buy this at the moment. If the technical issues are addressed, I'll check it out later.

I really want to give this a try but the performance issues on the Switch version are a bit of a dealbreaker for a game like this. Hoping a patch can fix them up.

Effect

That sucks. I was looking forward to this. The footage of the performance and the response. Will wait for a patch and if it doesn't come oh well. Other games will get bought instead.

The dev's response to fixing the framerate problem says there's always the Steam version which doesn't instill confidence that the performance will improve with future updates.

https://twitter.com/teamshiftygames/status/851937597630717954

Well, that pretty much drops my chances of picking this up to pretty close to zero. This looked like a really fun game to try on the Switch, but if they'd rather compete with my Steam backlog then they aren't going to have a sale here.

EDarkness

Yeah, "hopefully unity will improve their performance," doesn't sound like these guys are low level coders.

I kinda got that impression. I think the problem here isn't Unity, but them. They should really be looking at how to optimize. I made sure I was doing this from the beginning since I knew my game would be running on the Wii U and low end Macs. If they need help with this, the Unity forums are a good place to get some help.

HeeHo

This was going to be my second switch game but not anymore. The digital games I think are going to be pretty decent keep getting bad scores like this and Has-Been Heroes or whatever it's called. I really wanted these two in concept but I don't like giving in to just buying software because there is nothing else out.

I really want something like Darkest Dungeon or a rogue-like (aside from Binding of Isaac) on the Switch.

I kinda got that impression. I think the problem here isn't Unity, but them. They should really be looking at how to optimize. I made sure I was doing this from the beginning since I knew my game would be running on the Wii U and low end Macs. If they need help with this, the Unity forums are a good place to get some help.

To be fair, the Switch version of Unity could still need optimizing too given that it's still new on the system. Unreal 4 was way worse in performance at the PS4/XBO system launch than it is these days.

Top Bottom