• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Shifty |OT| Shift Happens

EDarkness

To be fair, the Switch version of Unity could still need optimizing too given that it's still new on the system. Unreal 4 was way worse in performance at the PS4/XBO system launch than it is these days.

That's true, too. But in that case, some adjustments need to be made. I don't think Unity on the Wii U is the best, so I had to make some adjustments on the system and Nintendo was nice enough to help me through those points. I'm sure they would do the same with this game, too.

Nosgotham

This was going to be my second switch game but not anymore. The digital games I think are going to be pretty decent keep getting bad scores like this and Has-Been Heroes or whatever it's called. I really wanted these two in concept but I don't like giving in to just buying software because there is nothing else out.

I really want something like Darkest Dungeon or a rogue-like (aside from Binding of Isaac) on the Switch.

The Has Been Heroes reviews are way off the mark. most of the complaints are about difficulty and lack of variety but the game has a shit ton of variety, it just requires you to play longer to see the variety. Has Been Heroes is awesome.

The devs have already patched it twice to balance diffuclty based on the problems reviewers had. Don't sleep on Has Been Heroes.Its my second favorite switch game and very rewarding once the game clicks. I just don't think most reviewers played it enough to click and be successful at it.

I usually don't call reviews "wrong" but they were wayyyy off the mark with HBH.

The Has Been Heroes reviews are way off the mark. most of the complaints are about difficulty and lack of variety but the game has a shit ton of variety, it just requires you to play longer to see the variety. Has Been Heroes is awesome.

The devs have already patched it twice to balance diffuclty based on the problems reviewers had. Don't sleep on Has Been Heroes.Its my second favorite switch game and very rewarding once the game clicks. I just don't think most reviewers played it enough to click and be successful at it.

I usually don't call reviews "wrong" but they were wayyyy off the mark with HBH.

The 4/10 review smacked of, "I played this for 20 minutes and it's controls/mechanics didn't immediately appeal to me. Bad//10"

Glix

HANDHELD MODE - seems mostly fine to me. Just finished level 6.

The only issue I have run into is that there seems to be a slight hitch when my weapon breaks but it may be intentional.

Have a feeling like a lot of the early NS titles, the issues are mostly limited to dock mode, and hopefully they can resolve them with a quick patch.

Edit - Oh, the game is a lot of fun! I think I like HM better, as the stakes are higher. Shifty lets you make mistakes and then warp away before you have to pay for them.

Just happened across this reddit thread whiuch sums up everything going on, don't think i'll be buying any time soon now, willw ait and see

"There's always the Steam version"......well that's one way to talk to potential customers.

Was planning on day 1, will hold off for now and see if Switch version gets patched.

jwk94

HANDHELD MODE - seems mostly fine to me. Just finished level 6.

The only issue I have run into is that there seems to be a slight hitch when my weapon breaks but it may be intentional.

Have a feeling like a lot of the early NS titles, the issues are mostly limited to dock mode, and hopefully they can resolve them with a quick patch.

Edit - Oh, the game is a lot of fun! I think I like HM better, as the stakes are higher. Shifty lets you make mistakes and then warp away before you have to pay for them.

First half of the game is indeed mostly fine. It's around level 10 that things start to get bad. It's a shame too, because the game itself is REALLY good. Like, this is probably my favorite Switch game that I have so far.

Glix

First half of the game is indeed mostly fine. It's around level 10 that things start to get bad. It's a shame too, because the game itself is REALLY good. Like, this is probably my favorite Switch game that I have so far.

Played the first 4 floors. I really liked it but I already run into performance issues.
When the screen is crowded, the game slows down to a crawl.

But yeah, I saw your vid :-(

Nosgotham

So I'm guessing the little freezes are stylistic like wind Waker but when it gets crowded it seems like it's chugging with framerate issues.

I did have it crash when I quit to main menu. It's fun so far but I get the complaints .

newsguy

So handheld mode is still shitty in the second half as well?

Cerium

It's a shame that their indelicate AMA response is producing what appears to be a significant backlash on Reddit. These sort of games rely on word of mouth. I don't think they meant anything by those remarks, but a clear promise to patch the issues would've made most of the negativity go away.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yeah, they've had a subsequent statement saying they didn't intend any harm by their reddit statement, performance is a priority and there will be a patch coming out.

glad to hear. Impressions in this thread have me knowing I'll grab this at some point.

Is there decent replayability? Like if I buy it now, what is the likelihood I'd go through it again after a patch drops?

HeeHo

I had seen people saying that in the thread too. Most of the review complaints were about a lack of tutorial. I still kind of want it.

jwk94

So, I contacted tinyBuild. A patch is incoming, and will be available before Mr. Shifty's PS4 and Xbox One launch "in several weeks."

Coketruck

So, I contacted tinyBuild. A patch is incoming, and will be available before Mr. Shifty's PS4 and Xbox One launch "in several weeks."

Good to hear. I really liked the first couple of levels. BAMF-ing around while punching guys through walls is just good ol' fashioned family fun.

TheBear

I had seen people saying that in the thread too. Most of the review complaints were about a lack of tutorial. I still kind of want it.

It's a tad overpriced but definitely worth your time. It took me a few hours to get the hang of it but when you do it's amazing

Mrbob

So I should buy this on steam? Don't like the sound of Switch performance issues.

Or maybe just buy Graceful Exploding Machine instead while waiting for a patch.

Nosgotham

Yeah lack of tutorial kinda sucks, latest patch added tips and stuff though from what I can tell.

Great game. I got the physical. Best 20 I've spent in a while

NateDrake

There is, without question, some frame drops in the later stages. The footage I shared on the first page shows some of these drops, but they aren't bad enough to render the game unplayable. Do I wish they weren't there? Of course, but the game is still quite fun.

Waiting until a patch drops, if at all. I was super into the concept! That Twitter conversation put me right off.

Glad to see the CEO comment but c'mon, devs.

BiggNife

Yeah, I would definitely wait until the patch comes out and see how it fares. That comment from the TinyBuild CEO was super duper PR speak so I would not really take that at face value. Actions speak louder than words.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Finished up the PC version, final time said 3:48, though it's gonna be very dependent on how good you are at the game.

I thought they kept it reasonably varied the whole way through, only a handful of situations felt a bit unfair (like changing the enemy behavior in that long hallway so they don't chase you)

Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit, not sure if I'll play all the way through the Switch version, but I'll certainly hold out if there's gonna be a performance patch.

I really like the art style. Not a huge fan of the 8-bit style indie games of late.

The art style is neat. The music is decent nothing to write home about though. The slowdown is downright annoying at times. I have had to actually plan a route with slowdown in mind and it really takes away from the in the moment feel of the game. I really do hope a patch happens as this is the perfect type of pick up and play game for the Switch.

Billfisto

I'll say it again - Don't trust Tinybuild's lies.

They're horrible. Cluster Truck launched on consoles without the option to Invert Y. People on Twitter asked them if they'd patch it in, and they basically said it was too much effort. Then, they patched the boss on PC because it was stupid, and they didn't patch that on consoles either. Then the extra Halloween content came out and they didn't patch it. They seemed to make sure they didn't specifically say where it was coming to, too, and didn't answer any questions about if it was coming to consoles.

Months later someone asked if the status of the patch and they said they thought it was already patched. It's definitely not patched in Non-US locations and they don't give a shit and just don't respond.

They may talk nice now, but they've been super flip and uncaring in the past.

Nester

Played through to stage 15, got mostly through it and then randomly got this:

lh2vH75.png

Had to start over at the beginning of stage 15 so I'm just going to work on finishing it tomorrow. Have really been enjoying the game though, so don't mind going back through that section again!

jwk94

I'm interviewing tinyBuild's CEO tomorrow. If anyone has some Switch-related questions, I'd be more than happy to ask em for you.

renzolama

Do you want a Steam copy instead? They gave me one in addition to my Switch code, for some reason.

That's kind of you (if you're offering me yours, I think?), but I doubt I would play it on PC so I wouldn't want to waste it. I'm not really that upset about $15, I'm just disappointed that the first game I got excited to buy on the Switch other than Zelda ended up being such an obviously sub-par port.

Edit: Particularly in consideration of how significant framerate and performance impacts can be to the gameplay style

AetherZX

If the framerate issues are as bad as this thread suggests, then I think I've made a terrible mistake. 👀

Top Bottom