• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS confirms indie program for XB1, was a big GamesCom surprise, angry at GI for leak

Most games will use the absolute maximum amount of ram available for that game, and to do that well, you need the extra ram (not available to the retail unit) for debugging, libraries and tools to properly optimise for maximum efficiency and potential. This has been the case since forever. With respect to smaller download titles, If Microsoft limit the amount of ram available to self published indie games on the XO, we'll just get better looking and running indie games on PS4 too, dependant on how much time and budget the devs have. But at the least it eases up their development process and allows them much more room to manoeuvre with respect to optimisations and time frames. It'd probably make it more difficult to port PS4 indie games over to the XO as well.

Yeah but the Xbox One games are only allowed to use 5 GB of the ram so there will always be system ram left for debugging purposes even on retail boxes.

FranXico

I'm 100% sure of that.

Respawn is definitely not developing Ryse.

:)

Damn, what an embarrassing mistake. :)

I stand corrected. Respawn is surely using devkits that will probably need more than 8GB RAM, and come with a bunch of tools that are not available to the general public.

Takuya

Banned
Yeah but the Xbox One games are only allowed to use 5 GB of the ram so there will always be system ram left for debugging purposes even on retail boxes.

Yes, but even in dev-mode the OS is still present and using up RAM, that's why real devkits have additional memory.

nib95

Banned

Lol, system ram is not there for debugging, it's there for and being used up by the OS and system features. You guys act like when you're making a game you suddenly don't need an OS or any of the system uses. It doesn't work like that. The 3GB is reserved for features not related to debugging, and one's that will have to be tested to work along with and alongside the game itself.

nib95

Banned
Also, he says the only difference from the debug units and retail kits will be special security certificates installed on the device. The hardware is exactly the same between the two though.

This has always been the case. Debug kits are not the same as dev kits.

Debug kits are generally the one's offered to publications and gaming outlets to review games and early preview code. Hence the special keys and certificates. The code/disks they run don't work on normal retail units.

Lol, system ram is not there for debugging, it's there for OS and system use. You guys act like when you're making a game you suddenly don't need an OS or any of the system uses. It doesn't work like that. The 3GB is reserved for features not related to debugging, and features that will have to be tested to work along with and alongside the game itself.

Memory allocation between the different OS:es should be flexible and I doubt that the necessary features use up anywhere near 3 GB. I could see a debug mode where stuff like snap and dvr functionality are disabled. I have no idea how much extra ram is actually needed for debugging purposes though.

nib95

Banned
Memory allocation between the different OS:es should be flexible and I doubt that the necessary features use up anywhere near 3 GB. I could see a debug mode where stuff like snap and dvr functionality are disabled. I have no idea how much extra ram is actually needed for debugging purposes though.

Snap and DVR functionality will still need to run in tandem with the game, so they'd need to test that stuff running simultaneously, hence the extra ram in dev kits as buffer for debugging and so on. Dev kits usually always have more ram than the retail kits for that very reason.

In-fact, so do the Xbox One dev kits lol. They currently have 12GB of DDR3 instead of the retail 8GB.

ShapeGSX

Lol, system ram is not there for debugging, it's there for and being used up by the OS and system features. You guys act like when you're making a game you suddenly don't need an OS or any of the system uses. It doesn't work like that. The 3GB is reserved for features not related to debugging, and one's that will have to be tested to work along with and alongside the game itself.

Some of that 3GB of RAM is reserved for apps that can run in parallel with games.

One way it could work is that the OS could load an app in the 3GB OS partition of RAM that acts as a debugger for the game you deploy to the XBox One in the 5GB RAM partition.

I'm almost certain that Microsoft , of all companies, could get something like this to work. ;)

FranXico

Microsoft is probably working on abolishing the RAM split altogether in order to gain feature parity to the PS4. Games and WinRT apps using the same memory pool.

Kalm

Damn, what an embarrassing mistake. :)

I stand corrected. Respawn is surely using devkits that will probably need more than 8GB RAM, and come with a bunch of tools that are not available to the general public.

I completely agree, mate.

(Being cheeky is just my way :D)

Even as an X1 fan, I take everything that comes out of Microsoft's collective mouth with a tiny grain of salt. I pretty much wish they'd just STFU until they had a definitive answer for something. This indie program stuff is the definition of vague.

Snap and DVR functionality will still need to run in tandem with the game, so they'd need to test that stuff running simultaneously, hence the extra ram in dev kits as buffer for debugging and so on. Dev kits usually always have more ram than the retail kits for that very reason.

In-fact, so do the Xbox One dev kits lol. They currently have 12GB of DDR3 instead of the retail 8GB.

They partition resources for the apps ran on the OS. So they wouldn't need to test it with anything snapped, they would just need to not overuse the resources they have access to on the game partition.

I bet how its going to work is the debug mode is actually a snapped application that runs in tandem with the game you're debugging.

nib95

Banned
Microsoft is probably working on abolishing the RAM split altogether in order to gain feature parity to the PS4. Games and WinRT apps using the same memory pool.

Impossible. They'll still need a memory reserve for the OS(s) and system features. At this point that reserve is 3GB. To reiterate, that is not for debugging purposes, but for the OS features.

Mandoric

Banned
Some of that 3GB of RAM is reserved for apps that can run in parallel with games.

One way it could work is that the OS could load an app in the 3GB OS partition of RAM that acts as a debugger for the game you deploy to the XBox One in the 5GB RAM partition.

I'm almost certain that Microsoft , of all companies, could get something like this to work. ;)

It could, but then how do you debug it when the game crashes if you have Bing, Youtube, and DVR all loaded at once?

FranXico

Impossible. They'll still need a memory reserve for the OS(s) and system features. At this point that reserve is 3GB. To reiterate, that is not for debugging purposes, but for the OS features.

I am pretty sure that a customized version of Windows 8 designed to run on a games console/media player should be able to work without hogging RAM like that. In the end, MS should by now have figured out how to reduce the OS requirement down to levels comparable to those of the PS4 (as we speculate).

It doesn't make a difference to *me* personally, because I already decided to go PS4/PC next gen.

Mandoric

Banned
I am pretty sure that a customized version of Windows 8 designed to run on a games console/media player should be able to work without hogging RAM like that. In the end, MS should by now have figured out how to reduce the OS requirement down to levels comparable to those of the PS4 (as we speculate).

It doesn't make a difference to *me* personally, because I already decided to go PS4/PC next gen.

The system software, sure. But if Dashboard OS is a Windows App device it needs room to hold all the random programs and data a user may want to have. That's what the OS reservation is for.

ShapeGSX

It could, but then how do you debug it when the game crashes if you have Bing, Youtube, and DVR all loaded at once?

You won't have all of that loaded at once. You get one app and one game running at a time.

Also, the whole point of the hypervisor and virtual machines is that a program running in one OS will not run step on the toes of a program running in another OS.

If this happens, then there is a fundamental issue with the system that needs to be fixed in the operating system.

Essentially, you don't have to test your situation because the two programs running under two different operating systems on two different machines can't affect one another.

Mandoric

Banned
You won't have all of that loaded at once. You get one app and one game running at a time.

Also, the whole point of the hypervisor and virtual machines is that a program running in one OS will not run step on the toes of a program running in another OS.

If this happens, then there is a fundamental issue with the system that needs to be fixed in the operating system.

Essentially, you don't have to test your situation because the two programs running under two different operating systems on two different machines can't affect one another.

That's all nice in theory, but the hope that the hypervisor will keep them from stomping each other's protected memory and processes doesn't help with problems that can occur due to conflicting access to underlying hardware or overlapping inputs.

And the principle remains even if it's just testing against a suite of intensive individual apps rather than various combos. Though I'd wager almost anything the "one at a time" limit is forced Metro-style tiling and a limit on onscreen apps, not a force-quit for background software the second you load something new. (Can you really imagine the Xbone DVR giving up on recording the second you fired up Bing or Netflix?)

see5harp

You have to be unbelievably naive or jaded to really believe Microsoft had this planned all along. Not available at launch implies it's a late reverse around, and add to that, we're expected to believe they just intentionally waited till after E3 to announce this after all the fanfare, losing a shit tonne of indie support to Sony and gaining a large sum of negative press. Lol.

It's good that they've partially reversed course (I say partially because of the 3GB limit), but damn if this doesn't just further cement Sony as the one that genuinely is for gamers and developers this gen. When Microsoft continually pander on about how the XO was always a console for gamers built by gamers I have to laugh. Based on everything leading up to now, it seems the exact opposite.

Who cares whether it was planned from the start? Consoles and policies will change over the course of a generation. Hello? This is a good thing.

bumpkin

So when I update my Xbox One retail console I should be greeted with something close to my Xbox 360 dev kit environment?

VJeAC9a.png
Show-off.

At any rate, I'll be really curious to hear what they have in-store.

jcm

Even hacked PS3's can be turned into dev versions, so I'm really not getting why "every xbone is dev" is such a big deal.

Because it dramatically lowers the barrier to entry for xbone developers. You can't use a hacked ps3 to write a ps3 game, publish it to the ps store, and get paid for your work.

jim2011

Even hacked PS3's can be turned into dev versions, so I'm really not getting why "every xbone is dev" is such a big deal.

Does Sony allow you to? No that's why. You can't possibly compare illegally hacking and violating/breaking their legal agreements with what Microsoft is supporting.

They already have projects lined up for Android/iOS. I think they even mentioned they're not looking for any more exclusive arrangements with companies anymore.

How's it goin', chubigans. :)

Yeah, we (thatgamecompany) don't have any plans to ever make any more exclusive games, but we also haven't announced if we're making any games for Android/iOS.

That said, we are focusing on touch controls, as they seem to be the only universal thing nowadays. Phones, Wii U, PS3, PS4 (PSEye), etc. (Xbox One if they allow actual self-publishing, not XBLIG.) There are also some pretty cool touch/gesture interface on PC that have been coming up over the years.

How's it goin', chubigans. :)

Yeah, we (thatgamecompany) don't have any plans to ever make any more exclusive games, but we also haven't announced if we're making any games for Android/iOS.

That said, we are focusing on touch controls, as they seem to be the only universal thing nowadays. Phones, Wii U, PS3, PS4 (PSEye), etc. (Xbox One if they allow actual self-publishing, not XBLIG.) There are also some pretty cool touch/gesture interface on PC that have been coming up over the years.

Hi. Microsoft has already confirmed that any self-published indie games will be sold side-by-side with published games in the same store. No sectioning off of Indie games à la XBLIG.

Hana-Bi

I think there are two options for Indies to release games for the X1:

- Use the app store (and thus only have <3 GB available) and your game will run on the X1, W8, WP8, WinRT). The X1 will probably have an app store (with apps, games, etc.) like on Win8...

- Use the indie program with 5 GB available without an easy option to port your game to W8. But your game will be treated like a "real" game.

Hi. Microsoft has already confirmed that any self-published indie games will be sold side-by-side with published games in the same store. No sectioning off of Indie games à la XBLIG.

Could you link me to an official statement by them confirming this?

I've only seen articles with random developers talking about how they're afraid that the One will continue the XBLIG thing.

Could you link me to an official statement by them confirming this?

I've only seen articles with random developers talking about how they're afraid that the One will continue the XBLIG thing.

Try this. They have a quote from Marc Whitten about it.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-every-xbox-one-can-be-used-to-make-games-up-898750954

"My goal is for it to just show up in the marketplace," he told us. "Of course there will be different pivots inside of that. There will be everything from what are we curating, kind of like spotlight content, to the normal discoverability stuff like recommendations, what's trending, what's got a lot of engagement on the platform. And you'd be able to find that content in any of those. There wouldn't be any difference based on what type of game it was. Then of course there will be other type of pivots where you can go and look at whether its a genre of game or any other. But you shouldn't think of it as there's an indie area and a non-indie area."

Chill Dude

Neo Member
Hopefully this is MS actually joining the modern era along with everyone else late has to be better than never eh? Not that I believe in anything MS does in this industry at the moment.

Top Bottom