• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Officially Denies HD-DVD 360 Games (Was: MS rules out HD-DVD games "this holiday")

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
What are yall scared about, this is such a non issue since DVD is fine for games this generation. I mean, Oblivion fit on a ONE DVD!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I don't believe this news, because MS execs have repeatedly said it wouldn't happen.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
DarienA said:
I don't believe this news, because MS execs have repeatedly said it wouldn't happen.

And if there's one kind of people in this world we can firmly and genuinely have faith in, it is Microsoft executives.

pilonv1 said:
I'd like to see a full quote, because "this holiday" could be about anything. That paragraph seems to have some very selective quoting, I'd much rather read an un-edited version.
I noticed that too but didn't want to spoil the fun. The whole piece uses quotes but only for single words. There isn't a quoted sentence in the entire peice.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BlueTsunami said:
What are yall scared about, this is such a non issue since DVD is fine for games this generation. I mean, Oblivion fit on a ONE DVD!

But you have to download horse armor separate.

Barry Lightning said:
dreamcastzip-drive_dc.jpg

BELIEVE
I never new that the Dreamcast had a 64DD!!!

Wollan

Next gen disc format, Controller revision.. what's next, 1080p? Chase that rabbit MS, chase it!

Also, Microtransaction Consumables. :|

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Microsoft can encourage developers to support HD-DVD until they're blue in the face, but I suspect that most will choose to cater their games to the lowest common denominator. There are about 5 million 360s sold worldwide thus far (according to MS anyway), and while I'm sure some of those people will snap up the HD-DVD add on, I suspect many more won't. On top of that it wouldn't be surprising to see this trend amplified over the next 12 months as the 360s hardware sales march towards double digit millions.

If MS wants the HD-DVD add-on to be a success, they're really going to have to spearhead it themselves: pack the add-on with the 360 and price it competitively, make high profile games that utilize it (Halo 3), just make it something gamers can't live without.

While the 360 has a split SKU now, it's been this way from the start and developers have been able to set the tone from day one as to what hardware gamers absolutely need for the majority of 360 games. Adding such a potentially important peripheral as the HD-DVD add-on so late in the game just throws a wrench in the works. It's going to take some serious convincing to get enough of the 360's userbase to buy the HD-DVD add-on for it to be worth developers' while to actually make games that utilize it, which could even lead to "chicken and egg" dilemmas in how to promote and get the thing off the ground.

mikeGFG

Banned
I only see this happening if they start stamping dual-sided discs, and offer bonus content like documentaries and in-game commentary on the HD-DVD side. That scenario won't be a problem if they offer the very same content on marketplace for non-HD-DVD users.

pilonv1

I'd wager the actual quote was something like "We're not doing games for the HD-DVD add on, which ships this holiday".

Mmmkay

DarienA said:
Well they say they 'haven't determined', not that they are doing it. When you haven't actually done anything yet, it's very easy to say you aren't going to do it... much like a price drop for example.

And guys, the formatting is down the the publication itself. I've not altered any part of the article.

Sullichin

By the time any game needs the addon, your current 360 will be broken and you can replace it with a new model that has HD-DVD built in. :)

Mmmkay said:
Well they say they 'haven't determined', not that they are doing it. When you haven't actually done anything yet, it's very easy to say you aren't going to do it... much like a price drop for example.

And guys, the formatting is down the the publication itself. I've not altered any part of the article.
I don't think anyone here believes you had. The whole article is suspect, imo.

Striek

Sullichin said:
By the time any game needs the addon, your current 360 will be broken and you can replace it with a new model that has HD-DVD built in. :)
lowblowjc5.jpg

Edit; I'd also like to know the name of the publication. But it would have to be a pretty low editor to rephrase that selectively. I think its clinging to straws. Microsoft will probably evaluate HD-DVD sales before deciding concretely.

turtle553

On a more important note. Will they allow users to boot DVD games from either drive so I can be even lazier and not get up to change disks between 360 games?

Mmmkay

Pseudo judo said:
I don't think anyone here believes you had. The whole article is suspect, imo.
It's not like this is out of a backwater local news paper. The news they report is purposely condensed into bulletin style paragraphs.

m0dus:
Eonsumer Dlectronics Caily

Striek said:

My thoughts exactly.

On one hand, i fully support using HD-DVD and Blu-ray for gaming purposes... but on the other, HUGE hand, it's an optional component that segments the 360's audience even further with future potential to really **** over consumers.

Zamorro

soul creator said:
stop reading the actual text. You're supposed to jump to doomsday scenarios instead.
OK. Ahem...

Microsoft can't do this to me!!!! They lied, I say, they flat out lied!!! Sony at least had the decency to lie between their teeth. Or just say stupid outworldly stuff.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Who cares if it does happen. It will still be the same game just delivered on one disc instead of multiple.

teiresias

I can see it now, you go to your favorite RPG's "consumable" menu, perusing the weapons that are REQUIRED to finish a quest, and just as you pick a sword to buy that will enable you to defeat the summoned kraken a dashboard blade pops up with the message, "We're sorry, the following consumable is only available in the HD-DVD version of the game."

Dalauz

teiresias said:
I can see it now, you go to your favorite RPG's "consumable" menu, perusing the weapons that are REQUIRED to finish a quest, and just as you pick a sword to buy that will enable you to defeat the summoned kraken a dashboard blade pops up with the message, "We're sorry, the following consumable is only available in the HD-DVD version of the game."
hahahahaha my first /thread

teiresias said:

:lol

at least you creatively jumped to conclusions!

Chittagong

Gold Member
3060000000048872.JPG

"Oh no, don't go into that direction again..."

180x180.jpg

"Crap. Seems like history repeating."

1147248597_extras_ladillos_1_0.jpg

"I wouldn't have taken this stupid tattoo if I knew 5% of 360 owners could buy the game"

30573_peter_moore_xbox_360_050805_qjgenth.jpg

"Well, here goes nothing..."

peter_moore_xbox_360_2.jpg

"360 and HD DVD add-on games FTW!!! Woo-hoo!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom