• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Officially Denies HD-DVD 360 Games (Was: MS rules out HD-DVD games "this holiday")

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Like Jean Chretien strangling the shit out of a yappy protester, I'm going to close and sticky this thread so

- you guys can get all your witty replies and cool photoshops ready in the morning
- we can get some official confirmation on this
- I don't have to ban anybody

I'll unlock it in the morning when I get to work and you can have at 'er again. Until then...good night!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
OK, get to it you jackals!

jackals_kill.jpg

3rdman

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Oh yes! I'm so glad that this completely useless topic was unlocked, after being stickied for no apparent reason either.

LOL...I must have missed that! It was actually stickied? How could anyone believe this?

3rdman said:
LOL...I must have missed that! It was actually stickied? How could anyone believe this?

What do you mean "believe"? The guy was interviewed, and he gave that answer. He probably should have kept quiet if he couldn't give a conclusive answer but he didn't.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
3rdman said:

To be fair, the sticky-er was awaiting a "proper" official denial. But I thought that was a little unusual too...

teiresias

3rdman said:

Has there been official denial? I mean, the quotes and article are real, so what's there NOT to believe at this point in time?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
teiresias said:
Has there been official denial? I mean, the quotes and article are real, so what's there NOT to believe at this point in time?

Its all fabricated obviously, or 3rdman is obviously in a dream sequence right now and is about to wake up. But that does that mean for us?

:eek:

Uncle

chespace said:
If you guys knew how the games press arrived at their conclusion that Silicon Knights was dropping UE3, you'd bust a rib laughing (or crying).

Aw come on, you can't post that and not tell the whole story...

you guys are ****ing retarded....sega cd and 32 x had no relevence to genesis games. HD-DVD isnt going to somhow make games look better. im buying the addon (after reading reviews on picture quality) because its a $200 dollar alternative instead of buying the $500 toshiba. if that allows for single disc games id usher that in too. pc has been doing this for the last couple years and no one seems to bitch about it. if they offer hd-dvd versions of games that normally come on multiple dvd's again its just an option for the consumer.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
God, this was probably taken out of context. Anyone who thinks MS will allow games that can only be played via HD DVD is an idiot.

And any developer that releases a game only for HD DVD is an idiot.

nuff said.

dirtmonkey37 said:
God, this was probably taken out of context. Anyone who thinks MS will allow games that can only be played via HD DVD is an idiot.

And any developer that releases a game only for HD DVD is an idiot.

nuff said.

Agreed. Can we get this locked again? A re-sticky is optional!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They could just as easily include a dvd and multiple cd copy for some really large games. Fact is most games don't need the capacity.

Piper Az

Are we witnessing a repeat of history here?

360: Genesis - early launch, hardcore fan-base, early lead, nice franchises, weaker tech, cheaper eventually, crazy add-ons, loser

PS3: SNES - later launch, wider fan-base, overtakes lead, greater library, better tech, more expensive, no crazy add-ons, winner

maybe so. maybe so.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Is that a fact, really? That about raps it up for HD-DVD games then!

Reading disorder? Lack of ability to understand basic concepts?
Most means most, not all.

Mrbob

Like I said, HD DVD games are inevitable. MS is so scared of the 360 being perceived as inferior to PS3 in any fashion, that they are lashing out in all directions to make sure the 360 doesn't seem gimped.

GTA4 is going to be interesting. Rockstar already said a year ago in an interview they are thankful they have Blu Ray disc to store data on for next gen GTA. I could see two versions of GTA4 on 360. A DVD version where you have to swap discs when you get to other cities, and a HD DVD version that has everything on one disc.

Core407

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
Care to explain?

I just get this Dreamcast feeling with the 360. Like it was released inbetween generations, which prevents it from having a lot of the next gen technologies, but I could be wrong.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mrbob said:
Like I said, HD DVD games are inevitable. MS is so scared of the 360 being perceived as inferior to PS3 in any fashion, that they are lashing out in all directions to make sure the 360 doesn't seem gimped.

GTA4 is going to be interesting. Rockstar already said a year ago in an interview they are thankful they have Blu Ray disc to store data on for next gen GTA. I could see two versions of GTA4 on 360. A DVD version where you have to swap discs when you get to other cities, and a HD DVD version that has everything on one disc.

*smh*

The HD-DVD drive has a slower trasnfer speed than a DVD drive at 12x. Everyone knows that add-ons of this nature in limited in userbase penatration. While I don't doubt that there are probably people in MS that would want this, but it makes absolutely no sense to do so.

BlueTsunami

Well the most obvious thing is that, if all games should fit on DVDs (as was stated in the past), why consider HD-DVD games at all? You've got a bunch of developers stateing how beneficial Blu Ray is (take that as Money Hats or whatever) and now you've got MS not denying (lol) that their going to be using HD-DVD for games.

I guess its a case of the majority of this industry being lazy, right?

*shrugs

BlueTsunami

eXxy said:
MS says they're working up another reponse to this issue, whatever that means.

:lol

Wow, might as well say "Were about to lie to you, so take what were about to say with a grain of salt"

Core407 said:
I just get this Dreamcast feeling with the 360. Like it was released inbetween generations, which prevents it from having a lot of the next gen technologies, but I could be wrong.

Yeah. You're wrong.

An MS employee also said before that if they really wanted to, they could add a Blu-Ray drive to the 360. That doesn't mean that "omg, 360 blu-ray christmas 07 early adopter's screwed!", it just means that the console has USB 2.0 ports, so they can add random shit if they wanted to. They've always maintained the "expandability" thing with the 360.

If in some alternate universe, the fate of 360 gaming in 2008 and beyond depends on 15-30GB discs, and every single developer literally can't make games that fit on a DVD, then they're leaving themselves a vague opening by saying all this.

Just because it's possible, doesn't mean it's likely though. What is likely is that developers are gonna continue target the lowest common denominator: a 360 Core system. They've known about this for probably a couple years now, and they will continue to keep it in mind. They're used to it anyway...they did it for 5-6 years with the PS2. And if the 360 is a big success, they *really* won't care.

I didn't think a $500-$600 PS3 was likely either, so who knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom