• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS puts invasive ads for Forza 7 in FH3

Lichter

After the loading screen a video trailer showed up, it was Forza Motorsport 7's trailer. It was skippable but I let it play through, I thought I was deluded (it's past 4 am here). But no I was not so I took some screenshots of it.

They really put that kind of invasive ad on a AAA game that I paid 70 € for. It's not the first time that FH3 acts like a free shitty mobile game, for example from time to time the game prompts you to go rate and review the game on their crappy Windows Store. And now this, unbelievable.

Plus, when I paid for their map expansion pass, I didn't think that they would sell us a sponsored content (yes I'm talking about the Hot-Wheels DLC). Okay it might be a great DLC (and it actually is), but still when you add up everything it really darkens my experience with the game.

I paid for the game + dlcs, why should I be bothered with ads and prompts everywhere as if it was a free mobile game?

6g1ffyI.jpg
gCkApW9.png

BUY NOW!!!

JoeLT

Although playing the ad when you started the game is pretty bad, most games do this with the message of the day splash screen advertising the next game. It's also pretty par for the course to advertise a game's own expansion in the game. Of all the games littered with micro transactions today to say feels like a mobile game I feel Horizon 3 is a lot farther from it than a lot of titles atm.

What's with the title dude? You can find these same ads in every new Call of Duty and probably more games. Not trailers, but ads asking you to preorder the new game nonetheless.

DxD

Banned
After the loading screen a video trailer showed up, it was Forza Motorsport 7's trailer. It was skippable but I let it play through, I thought I was deluded (it's past 4 am here). But no I was not so I took some screenshots of it.

They really put that kind of invasive ad on a AAA game that I paid 70 € for. It's not the first time that FH3 acts like a free shitty mobile game, for example from time to time the game prompts you to go rate and review the game on their crappy Windows Store. And now this, unbelievable.

Plus, when I paid for their map expansion pass, I didn't think that they would sell us a sponsored content (yes I'm talking about the Hot-Wheels DLC). Okay it might be a great DLC (and it actually is), but still when you add up everything it really darkens my experience with the game.

I paid for the game + dlcs, why should I be bothered with ads and prompts everywhere as if it was a free mobile game?

BUY NOW!!!

Isn't it your fault though?
You let it play instead of skipping.
So MS is in the right and their market research is on the money.
Some FH3 fans will watch Forza 7 ad instead of skipping it.

tribal24

Banned
Yeah this way is not good, a window prompt with updates is a better way of doing it since it's not so in your face.

oldergamer

oh man, it's just an upsell ad. they use a similar upsell within the Forrza Horizon 3 demo to purchase the full game, also for the big expansion packs.

Noobcraft

Ad* not ads. It only plays once right? I haven't had time to play FH3 recently. If it repeats itself then yeah, not ok.

oh man, it's just an upsell ad. they use a similar upsell within the Forrza Horizon 3 demo to purchase the full game, also for the big expansion packs.
A trailer in a demo is fine. A trailer in a game you already bought is unacceptable, DLC or the next game. Does this shit download and sit on my hard drive?

Edit: It's funny, I already bitch about how Forza games start with unskippable trailer-like clips that seemingly attempt to sell you on the game you've already bought. Even if I could skip this trailer, ugh. It just don't belong in the game. Put it in Forza Hub or something.

Lichter

Ad* not ads. It only plays once right? I haven't had time to play FH3 recently. If it repeats itself then yeah, not ok.

It plays everytime I leave the garage dude (when I first boot up the game), I just tried it right now.

EDIT: It didn't show up with my third try, it's weird. But it does mean that it comes randomly here and there quite often.

low-G

Just loaded up PC version, doesn't seem to be present, but I already preordered F7 on the MS store...

Was hoping for free cars.

Spoke too soon, it was way, way into the game!

Agreed this is fucked.

Z O N E

It's an ad for a franchise of the same game that I can skip, no big issue here for me personally.

If you couldn't skip it, then sure, complain, but it's just like a splash screen that you can skip.

You ever play those games that show so many splash screens that you CAN'T skip? That's more annoying.

Honestly speaking

If I ever got the chance to make my own game I would do the samething.

A big bill board in game with a McDonald's add

Running threw the subway and you see movie posters like in real life or a add of a different game from who ever publish the game I'm making

It'll be here and there but not all over the place. From what I hear and read making video games is fucking expensive so every little bit helps.

Edit: video ads? Yeah fuck that.

Ever fired up an old Call of Duty?

Oh man, wait till you guys hear about Payday 2.
Why do people take pleasure in pointing out other games that do something that folks are complaining about? Especially as if it invalidates complaints. It doesn't. It doesn't really even add to the conversation. Congratulations, you've proved you're more in the know. Congrats.

Payday 2 stands out as a game that basically poisoned away their user base with growing "yuck" moves like these. I'm not super familiar with CoD but I'd see red if they advertised their next entry in a video trailer in the last game. Garbage bin business. That's not a good place for Forza to be hanging out if they want to be a premium racing franchise.

I'm fine with info boxes about the next game on the main menu. Whatever, not great but I'm not crying about it. But fuck trailers.

StillEdge

I noticed this with every Call of Duty game. It promotes the shit out of whatever is coming out like "WW2" right now. I know Black Ops 3 and Infinite Warfare are promoting it right now I don't know about AW, but it's so annoying. I think Madden does it also, but at least they offer a discount for the newest game.

big_z

You get an ad for each of the dlc expansions and one for forza 7 as of the last update. The ads only play once at specific points during the campaign and are skipable. It didn't really bother me all that much.

A lot of games are a lot more egregious doing this type of stuff. I don't see much reason to shit on Microsoft or turn 10 for this.

Highest rated means highest selling? Don't they want people to buy more of their software? Isn't their gaming division now not focused on more software sales than hardware?

Forza sales are extremely healthy. What are you blabbering on about? Your post said desperate times calls for desperate measures. What exactly is desperate about advertising a new Forza game in their old Forza game that specifies if you preorder, you get a free in-game car pack DLC for FH3 which retails for $19.99, that includes achievements?

Fat4all

Banned
I've never been of fan of this kinda of ad placement, but I understand why they do it.

It reaches exactly the audience they want and even people who buy FH3 used will see it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
As someone who has never had an issue with DLC, Microtransactions and Season passes, I gotta say this doesn't really bother me either.

Even more so that it's skippable. If it wasn't skippable it would be more annoying.

But a lot of games do this in one way or another.

kevin1025

Banned
Just tried it on PC. Hit on Drive, the stylish driving out of the garage starts up, music abruptly cuts off, right into the ad and then a splash screen to pre-order. Yeah, I don't like that at all. Got it to happen twice.

Compsiox

Banned
They should automatically uninstall Forza Horizon instead and demand you to preorder Forza 7 to download it again.

I noticed this with every Call of Duty game. It promotes the shit out of whatever is coming out like "WW2" right now. I know Black Ops 3 and Infinite Warfare are promoting it right now I don't know about AW, but it's so annoying. I think Madden does it also, but at least they offer a discount for the newest game.

You get an ad for each of the dlc expansions and one for forza 7 as of the last update. The ads only play once at specific points during the campaign and are skipable. It didn't really bother me all that much.

A lot of games are a lot more egregious doing this type of stuff. I don't see much reason to shit on Microsoft or turn 10 for this.

This is an industry practice...

As someone who has never had an issue with DLC, Microtransactions and Season passes, I gotta say this doesn't really bother me either.

Even more so that it's skippable. If it wasn't skippable it would be more annoying.

But a lot of games do this in one way or another.

Yep. So many games have done this forever, but playing an ad for a future game in the franchise which ties into free DLC (and only one-two times) that is skippable is getting this much ire now all of a sudden, lol

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Examples?

I haven't bought the latest CoD games, but I know that even the old ones on 360 would advertise the newest one once it came out.

I even jumped into MW2 the other night on 360 and I saw a MW3 prompt. Halo has been doing it for a while too if memory serves.

Top Bottom