• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS puts invasive ads for Forza 7 in FH3

RRockman

Banned
Watch the same people go insane when this happens.

130430130437-sony-patent-2-620xa1.png

I will burn that tv and the offices of everyone involved with that patent. Absolutely Disgusting.

Wanderer5

Does it keep appearing even if you skip it? If this is a one and done thing, then whatever, but if it keeps popping up, then yeah, that could be annoying depending where it pops up. At least it is an ad for the same IP, and not something else different through.

Bedlam

FH3 in general is one big annoying storefront in my opinion. I loved the first game but I just cannot warm up to FH3 for this (and other) reasons.

Saw this when I fired up Horizon 3 recently, and it's annoying. Not super horrible in the grand scheme of things, but still not at all desirable. I don't recall whether I was able to skip it on PC or not; I feel like in the past, the DLC expansion trailers were NOT skippable, but maybe I just didn't find the right button or key combo to skip.

The Call of Duty example is interesting; though I totally believe that it happens to people, I've never seen one myself. Most recently, I just started playing Advanced Warfare on PC, and I haven't seen a single ad for any Call of Duty games. Maybe it's a console-only thing?

For the people complaining about how this is a hit job on the Xbox: it was annoying when Sony pulled it with Wipeout HD a few years ago, and it still sucks now. It doesn't matter who does it. Sheesh.

Does it keep appearing even if you skip it? If this is a one and done thing, then whatever, but if it keeps popping up, then yeah, that could be annoying depending where it pops up. At least it is an ad for the same IP, and not something else different through.

it pops up once after the hoonigan car update from last week. The car pack is now out for $7 so they show you a trailer for Forza 7 and give you the option to preorder it and get the hoonigan cars for free immediately.

GHG

How is showing the next game in the series is coming out unacceptable to some of you people?

Ok let me put it this way.

I've put over $100 into FH3 after pre ordering the ultimate edition and then getting all the expansions/car packs. Is it too much to ask that they don't ram advertisements down my throat in the game when if I'm booting it up the likelyhood is that I just want to play the game?

I don't think it's too much to ask.

Also given the fact that I'm a long time Forza player and have put over 350 hours into the franchise this generation alone it's safe to say that I already know Forza 7 is coming.

This is a shitty practice that lacks respect deserves to get called out. The least they can do is give players an opt-out option.

duckroll

The people dismissing this with a 'who cares' because it is skippable make me fucking sad.
How about a tiny bit of pushback to prevent our 70$ games from turning into an ad-ridden mobile-tier freemium experience. It playing plain video ads is unacceptable.

I can already envision the threads next year when the ads aren't skippable anymore. 'Dude it's just 30 seconds, you'll live, just go make a sandwich lmao'.
Fuck.

What if some people like ad-ridden mobile freemium games and want that experience everywhere? What then huh?!

Crayon

It's a bit trashy. I understand these games already have a bunch of microtransactions so whatever. In windows the product pushing is actually more invasive and a much bigger deal, obviously.

If a game was all classy with a nice presentation and they added this I'd be upset.

Leflus

Ugh. I'd be fine with it in a f2p game, but I don't want to see ads in a game I've paid for. Keep that stuff in the "Extras" section of the menu.

How is showing the next game in the series is coming out unacceptable to some of you people?
It's not the next game in the series, though. Forza Horizon 4 is.

I will burn that tv and the offices of everyone involved with that patent. Absolutely Disgusting.
Not sure if it's worth the trip to Japan tbh. Doesn't look like Sony has any plans to do something with it.

They should just make a car that's plastered with ads (much like most racing cars), and it's the one car that will actually explode if you damage it enough.

Explosion will also contain ads

Nowise10

Ok let me put it this way.

I've put over $100 into FH3 after pre ordering the ultimate edition and then getting all the expansions/car packs. Is it too much to ask that they don't ram advertisements down my throat in the game when if I'm booting it up the likelyhood is that I just want to play the game?

I don't think it's too much to ask.

Also given the fact that I'm a long time Forza player and have put over 350 hours into the franchise this generation alone it's safe to say that I already know Forza 7 is coming.

This is a shitty practice that lacks respect deserves to get called out. The least they can do is give players an opt-out option.

How is this any different when games advertise expansion packs/DLC on the main menu, where a click of a button leads you to the store, or shows you a preview? Or Message of the Day pop ups that talk about the next game/DLC coming?

I can't think of a single modern day game that doesn't advertise their next projects for their franchise on the game itself.

GHG

What if some people like ad-ridden mobile freemium games and want that experience everywhere? What then huh?!

I appreciate devs turning me off from playing videogames. It tells me I should and go do something that will make me more money instead.

Gestault

So re: the expansions for that specific game (i.e., Blizzard Mountain and Hot Wheels): If it plays one time total, and is skippable, that's acceptable to me. It's a glorified "news" thing. In a perfect world, I'd prefer it not at all.

If it's for a totally different game, it feels immediately trashy. You can argue that since this is for the cross-promo where you get the car pack for both games "free" if you get the digital version of 7, I kinda-sorta think they're skirting it.

Rellik

They should just make a car that's plastered with ads (much like most racing cars), and it's the one car that will actually explode if you damage it enough.

Explosion will also contain ads

Funny thing is, Forza games are already full of cars with ads plastered on them.

GHG

How is this any different when games advertise expansion packs/DLC on the main menu, where a click of a button leads you to the store, or shows you a preview? Or Message of the Day pop ups that talk about the next game/DLC coming?

I can't think of a single modern day game that doesn't advertise their next projects for their franchise on the game itself.

It's different because it's forced upon you through a full screen advertisement. How is that so difficult to understand?

I don't give a shit if other games are doing it as well or how "normal" some of you might seem to think this is, it's not right and shouldn't be happening in games that you've paid money for.

In every other industry paying consumers have an option to opt-out from stuff like this. But because the gaming industry seems to think they are above that for some reason and there's are large proportion of gamers that will gladly eat shit from their favourite manufacturers/developers (as evidenced by this thread) then it's only going to get worse over time.

If you like it for whatever reason then great, have your time wasted, who am I to say otherwise. For the rest of us, where is that opt-out button?

Funny thing is, Forza games are already full of cars with ads plastered on them.

One step further then - the car can honk out slogans! I mean, after it manages to bump you off the track, it honks: "Not going anywhere for a while?"

Damn they can make so much ad money from this game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Invasive and disgusting, it doesn't make it better that the Call of Duty people do something similar. Or that Nintendo is similarly aggressive about their DLCs as well. Those games are paid for in full, leave me alone.

CaptainClaw

If you like it for whatever reason then great, have your time wasted

If someone wants to not skip the skippable ad and go ahead and even pre-order the game how is he wasting his time?...as if there isn't a million things more important than playing games anyway, don't do that...

I got it, and thought, ok wtf is happening.. oh ok, they're advertising F7. That's fine. A one time thing is alright imo and not extremely invasive. If it keeps coming up every time I start the game until the release of F7, then I'll start to have a problem with it.

f@luS

More than a member.
That sux and anyone defending this is out of their mind

That sux. So much.

And I hate this.
Hopefully it's not going to be imitated in every games
I have 900 Blurays. (Normal 3D or UHD). I think the worst are universal one. So many ads before being able to start the damn movie. Can't even go straight to the menu. Must "skip skip skip " them one by one. People downloading pirate movies get adfree experience and people Paying for them get screwed.

(Sorry for the angry answer but I'm just fed up of these things)

GReeeeN

To be honest, I don't see an issue with this whatsoever. Advertising the next game in the current game seems like a great idea, and its literally a short SKIPPABLE trailer before you get in the game, its not baked into every street sign and in your face.

also "paying" for a product doesn't automatically subject you from ads.... I don't see the relation at all... We're not looking at a free to play iOS game here...

GHG

If someone wants to not skip the skippable ad and go ahead and even pre-order the game how is he wasting his time?...as if there isn't a million things more important than playing games anyway, don't do that...

Good for them.

Like I said there should be an opt out button which they can leave unchecked. That way maybe in the future they can spend their whole time watching ads in games and pre-ordering games instead of actually playing games. Sounds ideal.

When I decide to buy Forza 7 I'm definitely going to boot up FH3, sit through the ad and then press the button to get to the store and make my purchase. It sounds far more convienient than you know, just going directly to the store.

Some of you will eat anything up.

big_z

Invasive and disgusting, it doesn't make it better that the Call of Duty people do something similar. Or that Nintendo is similarly aggressive about their DLCs as well. Those games are paid for in full, leave me alone.

Not really bad, some people are trying to start a shit war in this thread. They play during a load screen and can be skipped. They are for the game you are playing and not trying to sell you a pepsi or gamer fuel.

Yes advertising sucks but its a fact of life. You go a movie and you get 20 minutes of forced advertising you cant skip for various products. The ads in forza take less than 10 seconds of your life if you skip them and you never see them again. In fact this ad has been in the game for weeks and similar ones for blizzard mountain and hotwheels dlc for months yet no one has cried out like they've been violated.

Nowise10

It's different because it's forced upon you through a full screen advertisement. How is that so difficult to understand?

I don't give a shit if other games are doing it as well or how "normal" some of you might seem to think this is, it's not right and shouldn't be happening in games that you've paid money for.

So your only argument is if it didn't cover the full screen it would be ok, and you paid money therefore ???

In every other industry paying consumers have an option to opt-out from stuff like this. But because the gaming industry seems to think they are above that for some reason and there's are large proportion of gamers that will gladly eat shit from their favourite manufacturers/developers (as evidenced by this thread) then it's only going to get worse over time.

If you like it for whatever reason then great, have your time wasted, who am I to say otherwise. For the rest of us, where is that opt-out button?

Want to actually open up to what you're talking about here? What industries similar to video games let you opt out of advertising?

How do I opt out of movie previews next time I put in a blu-ray that I purchased when my hard earned money? Where do I opt out of Adobe adverting their software and deals in their little mainhub when I open it up? I gave them my money already, damnit! Adobes doesn't go fullscreen though, so nevermind we good.

Leyasu

Banned
Yep. So many games have done this forever, but playing an ad for a future game in the franchise which ties into free DLC (and only one-two times) that is skippable is getting this much ire now all of a sudden, lol

Not only that, it's like companies are no longer allowed to advertise their products.

CaptainClaw

Good for them.

Like I said there should be an opt out button which they can leave unchecked. That way maybe in the future they can spend their whole time watching ads in games and pre-ordering games instead of actually playing games. Sounds ideal.

When I decide to buy Forza 7 I'm definitely going to boot up FH3, sit through the ad and then press the button to get to the store and make my purchase. It sounds far more convienient than you know, just going directly to the store.

Some of you will eat anything up.

This has nothing to do with eating anything up...you made a statement about people wasting their time, if person x wants to watch 1000 ads thats his choice...if when the first time you saw the ad you didn't like it, then the opt out should've been you turning it off and boycotting the game

Again were on a forum about the discussion of video games, telling people what they do is a waste of time seems laughable

Snubbers

Advertising their new game is OK, but I do hate the forced ad even if you can skip etc, it should just be an extra menu item or something that you decide to engage that doesn't get in the way of your normal game play.

I find it on the wrong side of things and getting into the insidious behaviour territory, which I don't find particularly endearing.

Coreda

How do I opt out of movie previews next time I put in a blu-ray that I purchased when my hard earned money? Where do I opt out of Adobe adverting their software and deals in their little mainhub when I open it up? I gave them my money already, damnit! Adobes doesn't go fullscreen though, so nevermind we good.

You're defending it in gaming because you actually want such ads or you're resigned and fatalistic about it because others have begun doing it? It never used to be like this. DVDs didn't originally (or for many years) display ads for films, nor did Adobe have what you're describing. Windows didn't place ads in their OSes either once upon a ti—oh wait, that was the last version.

Melchiah

I don't see menu ads as bad as popup ads, that stand in your way when starting up or resuming a game. The XBL ad that was mentioned earlier is essentially telling the customer to pay to get rid off the popup.

I have nothing against non-intrusive ads, that cater to my tastes. Unfortunately, that's not how it works when it comes to Sony. Recently they've recommended me platformers and sport games in e-mails and PSN store, genres which I never play. It shouldn't be that hard to see what the customers have purchased and played, and recommend products accordingly. I'd love it, if they recommended me some indie horror games that I might have missed for example, or notified me when games on my wishlist are on sale, but that never happens.

The Red Bull billboards along the WipEout tracks were ok as well in my book, as they kinda fit the game. This sounds horrible though:
Reminds me of when every banner, poster, billboard etc in Skate turned into a massive bright ass yellow Simpsons ad. I turned the game off until they were gone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I get the targeting, but isn't that audience also most likely to already know about forza 7? And maybe we've already preordered (I have through amazon), which he game won't realise so it'll still push the preorder screen on me.

Metzhara

It's remarkably invasive... to flash ads for an upcoming game... in a game for a sport which derives the majority of its money from ads zipping around at 100+ miles an hour.
The outrage!
I genuinely though I was in Bizarro universe stepping into this thread. I can imagine the pearl clutching.
I really don't think this is either "invasive" or "tacky". It's in-line with the content.
If I was being forced Deodorant or something we might have a different reaction.
Hitting me up with more relevant titles and skippable... my Bluray's don't even give me that much.

JoeLT

I personally really like the message of the day pop ups in most multiplayer games. Be it showing new info on the next game, an esport tournament, a new patch, community article, whatever.
If it's shoving a trailer down my throat for the next game that is ridiculous and indeed just obnoxious advertising. If it is only coming up once like some people have been saying that's not as bad but it's still bad.
If it was just a message of the day popup saying you can get the hooligan car pack but preordering I would be fine with it. Trailers for in game expansions are also fine.

Melchiah

It's remarkably invasive... to flash ads for an upcoming game... in a game for a sport which derives the majority of its money from ads zipping around at 100+ miles an hour.
The outrage!
I genuinely though I was in Bizarro universe stepping into this thread. I can imagine the pearl clutching.
I really don't think this is either "invasive" or "tacky". It's in-line with the content.
If I was being forced Deodorant or something we might have a different reaction.
Hitting me up with more relevant titles and skippable... my Bluray's don't even give me that much.

How exactly are the XBL ads in line with the content?

If you don't pay for XBLG apparently it also forces an ad when you resume a suspended game.

It's bad. The PS4 is my main system but I got the Xbox One for 4K disc playback and a few games. The amount of ads shoved in your face is embarrassing. I don't pay for Live so I'm hit with an ad (to pay for Live) before I resume playback of my game I want to play. I really wish you could disable it.

Also again to the Hawk269 quote before, if you mashed A you'd skip the video ad but then choose Buy Now on the banner selection screen. They've deliberately swapped the skip/get out button so you have to consciously react to each screen.

Dinjooh

If you don't pay for XBLG apparently it also forces an ad when you resume a suspended game.

Also again to the Hawk269 quote before, if you mashed A you'd skip the video ad but then choose Buy Now on the banner selection screen. They've deliberately swapped the skip/get out button so you have to consciously react to each screen.

Tbh I don't care that much about the in-game one. A big banner ad every time you resume your game though? No no no no no noonono.

big_z

I get the targeting, but isn't that audience also most likely to already know about forza 7? And maybe we've already preordered (I have through amazon), which he game won't realise so it'll still push the preorder screen on me.

horizon 3 sold to a lot of new comers to the series and a vast majority of gamers do not keep track of release dates. these one time skippable ads are targeting that large swath of the gaming audience and not the minority who devote all their time to gaming news.

Tbh I don't care that much about the in-game one. A big banner ad every time you resume your game though? No no no no no noonono.

Half of my forza time has been as a free member and I've never seen that buy gold pop up. Even in the game the online stuff is greyed out. I know some games if you try to enter an online mode you will get a message saying you need to pay, but the same applies with sonys platform. Not really sure why that user is getting that ad every time he starts a game. It would annoy me if I saw that and I would imagine people would have brought it up by now yet this is the first ive heard about it.

JoeLT

How exactly are the XBL ads in line with the content?
That comes up when you try to access mutliplayer content without Gold. Not sure what the situation going on with Horizon is but that's what's supposed to be going on. In Australia the ads are pretty good on the Xbox home, we don't have sponsored ads over here. We just have adverts for sales on the store and preorders and stuff. There's an entire section of the screen dedicated to ads in the US that is just blank in Australia. I'm not actually sure why that's the case.

There's a clear difference between a trailer for a different game and a trailer for an add on like Blizzard Mountain or Hot Wheels that just got added to the game.

Chobel

I know there are defense force for everything, but guy at least come up with better arguments than the shitty "It doesn't bother me" defense, or "Other games do it" defense.

Top Bottom