• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS puts invasive ads for Forza 7 in FH3

Majora

Couldn't care less about Forza but oh god, who cares? A skippable ad for a game in the same franchise, excuse me while I go take shelter because the sky is falling. The unskippable splash screens you have to sit through at the start of every single game are more irrelevant, time consuming and annoying to me as a consumer than that.

'Darkened my experience with the game' lmao. Hours and hours of quality gaming, as I understand it from the reviews, but your experience has forever been darkened because of that time you had to press a button to skip a video advertising a game in the same franchise.

If MS start putting in unskippable video ads for Doritos and Mountain Dew then that would be worth talking about. Until then this is a whole lot of nothing from the Chicken Little crew.

CaptainClaw

There's a clear difference between a trailer for a different game and a trailer for an add on like Blizzard Mountain or Hot Wheels that just got added to the game.

So your beef isn't with the ads then...you don't mind them advertising A but advertising B is No...I don't get it :/

Ads for a game's own DLC once and skippable, and as an option on the game's main menu is fine.

Beyond that and I'd be annoyed. Ads for another game are bullshit.

A skippable ad for a game in the same franchise, excuse me while I go take shelter because the sky is falling.
Once they get put in they multiply and expand in breadth. Its the nature of the beast.

Melchiah

That comes up when you try to access mutliplayer content without Gold. Not sure what the situation going on with Horizon is but that's what's supposed to be going on. In Australia the ads are pretty good on the Xbox home, we don't have sponsored ads over here. We just have adverts for sales on the store and preorders and stuff. There's an entire section of the screen dedicated to ads in the US that is just blank in Australia. I'm not actually sure why that's the case.

It's understandable, if it only comes when trying to access online modes without Gold. The posts made it seem like the popup comes regardless of that though.

I dread the idea, that other platform holders might adopt the idea from the way the US side handles it on XB. I really wouldn't want to see McDonalds ads and whatnot on the home screen in the future.

I quite like relevant ads. I am one of those guys that will stop and watch YouTube commercial if it interested me.
I think the Forza ad keeps Forza fans updated on the franchise. Many Forza players buy each and every Forza gmaes and DLC. I think they might be willing to know that a new game is coming out.

Sony

Nintendo
I know there are defense force for everything, but guy at least come up with better arguments than the shitty "It doesn't bother me" defense, or "Other games do it" defense.

Context. If I were to start up a game and I would get a McDonalds ad, it would take me out of the game. However, OP gets an advertisement about Forza 7 in Forza Horizon 3, which cannot possibly take you out of your racing mojo unless you hate the concept of an in-game ad by definition, like the OP does and many more here do. It's not even as invasive as a Titanfall ad in Battlefield 1 would be, same genre, different tone and gamedesign, it can take you out of the game.

kevin1025

Banned
Context. If I were to start up a game and I would get a McDonalds ad, it would take me out of the game. However, OP gets an advertisement about Forza 7 in Forza Horizon 3, which cannot possibly take you out of your racing mojo unless you hate the concept of an in-game ad by definition, like the OP does and many more here do.

Immersion enhancing ads!

CaptainClaw

Lets investigate a bit...does anyone know or can they check if the trailer plays during gameplay or while navigating menu or is it only while loading screen...im in bed and too lazy to turn my console on.

JoeLT

So your beef isn't with the ads then...you don't mind them advertising A but advertising B is No...I don't get it :/
I think there's a very clear difference between an ad for an expansion in the same game, and an ad for a different game completely or even worse Doritos or something. You say it as if all ads are equally inappropriate but context is very important. Even then a simple banner in the messages of the day splash screen talking about a new Halo or Forza game is fine and relevant. I just think a trailer for a different game is a bit too far. In game trailers should be kept to content about that specific title.

Novocaine

Halo and Gears have splash screens as well that have news and sometimes promote the new games and content too. I just press B and go about my day.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I for one am outraged about this petty nonsense, and anyone who disagrees is clearly a part of the delusional fanboy defence force.

Protome

Context. If I were to start up a game and I would get a McDonalds ad, it would take me out of the game. However, OP gets an advertisement about Forza 7 in Forza Horizon 3, which cannot possibly take you out of your racing mojo unless you hate the concept of an in-game ad by definition, like the OP does and many more here do. It's not even as invasive as a Titanfall ad in Battlefield 1 would be, same genre, different tone and gamedesign, it can take you out of the game.

The mainline Forza games and Horizon are very very different games though. I get that there's a lot of audience crossover but regardless putting ads in one for the other is fucked up. MS's obsession with squeezing ads in to everything they can is annoying and its bizarre that so many people give them a free pass for it.

JoeLT

Halo and Gears have splash screens as well that have news and sometimes promote the new games and content too. I just press B and go about my day.
Yep, Call of Duty, Titanfall and many other mutliplayer games do it too. I personally like these but I can understand if people don't, it's usually just news and stuff you'd likely be interested in if you're playing the game. It's not like they advertise non-relevant stuff and of course they are easily dismissed.

kevin1025

Banned

This one is when you're going from the garage to the open world. If it was before the menu or played in a corner of the main menu it's fine, having it between garage and gameplay is bizarre. My issue is with the placement of it.

Sony

Nintendo
Immersion enhancing ads!

I didn't say they enhace immersion, I said they don't take away from it.

The mainline Forza games and Horizon are very very different games though. I get that there's a lot of audience over but regardless putting ads in one for the other is fucked up. MS's obsession with squeezing ads in to everything they can is annoying and its bizarre that so many people give them a free pass for it.

They are very different games. But the way the trailer is Forza 7, it could have been for FH. Besides. If you watch the trailer, it's nothing out of line of what type of races could happened in FH. The only way you can be bothered by the ad is not the content of it, but the principle of it. Therefor there is no arguing about this with some.

Soar

So this is like suddenly discovering that there is an advert for new spring line up imprinted on the inside of your winter jacket.

You'll only see it when you put it on, heh.

Novocaine

This one is when you're going from the garage to the open world. If it was before the menu or played in a corner of the main menu it's fine, having it between garage and gameplay is bizarre. My issue is with the placement of it.

FH3 doesn't have a traditional title screen though otherwise I'm sure that's where they would have put it.

Protome

I didn't say they enhace immersion, I said they don't take away from it.

They are very different games. But the way the trailer is Forza 7, it could have been for FH. Besides. If you watch the trailer, it's nothing out of line of what type of races could happened in FH. The only way you can be bothered by the ad is not the content of it, but the principle of it. Therefor there is no arguing about this with some.
Showing and ad, which you need to interact with to skip, between exiting the garage and entering the open world is definitely immersion breaking. The load times there are essentially non existant (on pc at least) so making you need to skip an ad both slows it down and takes you out of the world.

Yeah, the content of the ad doesn't matter, how they are implemented matters. I don't give a shit a out the Dlc ads in the loading screens, this is worse than that.

CaptainClaw

I think there's a very clear difference between an ad for an expansion in the same game, and an ad for a different game completely or even worse Doritos or something. You say it as if all ads are equally inappropriate but context is very important.

Yes theres a clear difference between FM7 and Blizzard Mountain...but I don't understand why you're upset with a game advertising another game in the "Forza Series" but not with an expansion...it honestly is baffling. They aren't showing Doritos they are showing a game that is very relevant to the game being played

kevin1025

Banned
FH3 doesn't have a traditional title screen though otherwise I'm sure that's where they would have put it.

If it played after the Playground and Turn 10 logos, and then the preorder splash went into the Continue menu screen thing, that could have worked a little better. This current way has the festival music abruptly cutting out after your car drives out of the garage, the ad happens, and then once you're out the music and the game starts back up. I don't know, I guess in terms of presentation and placement it doesn't fit right.

Protome

You know what the right way to do this would be? A non immersion breaking way that would be hard to complain about?

Instead of slotting ads unnaturally into the game, add a new Race. When you get into the open world let it open up the map and add a pin to the map for the "New Race #110 Brought To You By Forza 7" and then show the ad before/after that race. That way people who are interested will go see it and also people who just want more content will go see it.

Yes theres a clear difference between FM7 and Blizzard Mountain...but thats I don't understand why you're upset with a game advertising another game in the "Forza Series" but not with an expansion...it honestly is baffling. They aren't showing Doritos they are showing a game that is very relevant to the game being played

It's not though. Forza and Forza Horizon aren't the same game series outside of the name. I know that I for one don't give a shit about the mainline Forza games but really like the open world arcadey spinoffs.

JoeLT

Yes theres a clear difference between FM7 and Blizzard Mountain...but thats I don't understand why you're upset with a game advertising another game in the "Forza Series" but not with an expansion...it honestly is baffling. They aren't showing Doritos they are showing a game that is very relevant to the game being played
Which is why I said it's bad but could be a lot worse. I don't think an ad for Forza 7 is anywhere near as bad as a trailer for Doritos or something. I just personally think a full trailer for a seperate game is jsut a step too far. I don't think it's black and white of course and it could be way worse, that's just the line for me personally. Even then as I've said I don't think it's the end of the world and this won't bother me next time I boot it up. Now if it was a Halo trailer or a Doritos trailer I would be here complaining.

GHG

So your only argument is if it didn't cover the full screen it would be ok, and you paid money therefore ???

Want to actually open up to what you're talking about here? What industries similar to video games let you opt out of advertising?

How do I opt out of movie previews next time I put in a blu-ray that I purchased when my hard earned money? Where do I opt out of Adobe adverting their software and deals in their little mainhub when I open it up? I gave them my money already, damnit! Adobes doesn't go fullscreen though, so nevermind we good.

Actually the advert being full screen makes all the difference. When it's full screen it stops you in your tracks and delays you from doing whatever it is you were doing (or intending to do) at the time it pops up. That's intrusive.

I do a lot of work on the web these days and Google have recently made it so that if your website does things like this then it will negatively impact on your ranking and visibility through Google searches, especially so on mobile. They are also working with the EU on a new ePrivacy directive due to come into play next year to help combat this kind of behaviour.

You can opt out of the advertisements in Windows 10 but you can't on Xbox. I wonder why that is...

If the adversitement is a banner on the side or contained within a tab in the UI but it doesn't prevent you from doing what you were doing and doesn't delay your actions in any way then I can actually live with that but again, an opt-out should be present. I'm of the opinion that your paying customers should only be advertised to if they want to be.

If we started having full screen ads here on Neogaf for example what do you think the general reaction would be?

This has nothing to do with eating anything up...you made a statement about people wasting their time, if person x wants to watch 1000 ads thats his choice...if when the first time you saw the ad you didn't like it, then the opt out should've been you turning it off and boycotting the game

Again were on a forum about the discussion of video games, telling people what they do is a waste of time seems laughable

Playing videogames, watching movies, browsing forums, they are all time wasting activities. None of them are productive nor are they key activities that improve our chances of survival in modern society (unless you have found a way to get paid for any of those activities). The difference is that we are deciding how we want to waste our time when we are doing those activities, hence they take on a different meaning for all of us. Advertisements on the other hand, especially those that are unannounced, intrusive and slow you down in your activities (whatever they might be) are not welcome and are an absolute waste of time.

If somebody wants to watch 1000 ads, why are they booting up a videogame to do so when it would be easier to watch trailers on YouTube or an online videogame storefront?

And no, I shouldn't have to turn off and boycott the product I paid for in order to opt out. That's a ridiculous suggestion.

Sjefen

Any ad is bad, I hate ads in general in any form and shape. Ads in games dont belong. Its even more distgusting when its in an fully priced retail game.

JoeLT

It's not though. Forza and Forza Horizon aren't the same game series outside of the name. I know that I for one don't give a shit about the mainline Forza games but really like the open world arcadey spinoffs.
Basically this, it's still better than a completely unrelated game like Halo or a random product like Doritos but it's still a different Forza series.

Rellik

Any ad is bad, I hate ads in general in any form and shape. Ads in games dont belong. Its even more distgusting when its in an fully priced retail game.

I think that's what this thread basically is now. Those who despise ads (like me and you) and those that don't care/enjoy them.

Ads to me are when I pull my phone out and browse GAF/Twitter. Don't need them shoved in my face in a game I've paid for.

big_z

Lets investigate a bit...does anyone know or can they check if the trailer plays during gameplay or while navigating menu or is it only while loading screen...im in bed and too lazy to turn my console on.

too lazy to read the thread too. during loading screen usually after an event is done. it does not interrupt gameplay.

Its promoting the cross game Hoonigan car pack, isn't it?

yes it is.

I remember Wipeout HD on PS3 and the advert for The Hangover 2 popping up all the time.

Its not cool and very off putting.

sony did it with a bunch of games and not just movies ads. im not sure if they still do it or if they've stopped or toned it down to dynamic billboards or whatever.

big_z

Not sure where you're getting this from, it's not during a loading screen.

that's where they played for me. finished an event or upgraded a festival and they played where youd normally be looking at the load screen.

It even downloaded a 500 MB update first in order to shove this bullshit in your face

this is what bothered me the most. how much of the file size was for the trailer? I know theres dlc cars in there that are required to show up in your game but I don't want to waste drive space to one off ads.

CaptainClaw

Playing videogames, watching movies, browsing forums, they are all time wasting activities. None of them are productive nor are they key activities that improve our chances of survival in modern society (unless you have found a way to get paid for any of those activities). The difference is that we are deciding how we want to waste our time when we are doing those activities, hence they take on a different meaning for all of us. Advertisements on the other hand, especially those that are unannounced, intrusive and slow you down in your activities (whatever they might be) are not welcome and are an absolute waste of time.

If somebody wants to watch 1000 ads, why are they booting up a videogame to do so when it would be easier to watch trailers on YouTube or an online videogame storefront?

And no, I shouldn't have to turn off and boycott the product I paid for in order to opt out. That's a ridiculous suggestion.

Right, everyones perception on time wasting is different which is why I stated that it isn't befitting to say that even if what they are doing is technically a time wasting activity. In regards to the 1000 ads lool...it was hyperbole nothing more, and I don't think it would be ridiculous to stop playing FH3 if you don't like the ads. I mean why would you continue to support it if you don't like the act?

xrnzaaas

Plus, when I paid for their map expansion pass, I didn't think that they would sell us a sponsored content (yes I'm talking about the Hot-Wheels DLC). Okay it might be a great DLC (and it actually is), but still when you add up everything it really darkens my experience with the game.

It's something that Microsoft likes to do, a part of me thinks it allows them to offer more content for the same price because of the sponsorship money. Or maybe I'm delusional, because I still have to pay 7 dollars for 7 cars from the Duracell or Mountain Dew car packs. ;)

Protome

that's where they played for me. finished an event or upgraded a festival and they played where youd normally be looking at the load screen.

this is what bothered me the most. how much of the file size was for the trailer? I know theres dlc cars in there that are required to show up in your game but I don't want to waste drive space to one off ads.

Played for me when I left the festival initially, which doesn't have a loading screen (on PC at least, I haven't played the XBO version in a while.)

Melchiah

I remember Wipeout HD on PS3 and the advert for The Hangover 2 popping up all the time.

Its not cool and very off putting.

That never happened to me. I wonder if it's a regional thing, like the annoying SingStar icon on the PS3, and Spotify on PS4, that you can't remove.

big_z

Played for me when I left the festival initially, which doesn't have a loading screen (on PC at least, I haven't played the XBO version in a while.)

theres a load screen every time you upgrade a festival or leave the garage on xbox. playing off an SSD the loads are probably fairly instant.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Couldn't care less about Forza but oh god, who cares? A skippable ad for a game in the same franchise, excuse me while I go take shelter because the sky is falling. The unskippable splash screens you have to sit through at the start of every single game are more irrelevant, time consuming and annoying to me as a consumer than that.

'Darkened my experience with the game' lmao. Hours and hours of quality gaming, as I understand it from the reviews, but your experience has forever been darkened because of that time you had to press a button to skip a video advertising a game in the same franchise.

If MS start putting in unskippable video ads for Doritos and Mountain Dew then that would be worth talking about. Until then this is a whole lot of nothing from the Chicken Little crew.
🤣

Protome

theres a load screen every time you upgrade a festival or leave the garage on xbox. playing off an SSD the loads are probably fairly instant.

Ah, fair. I can see how these would be more intrusive on PC than console then. Regardless, needing to skip them is going to extend your loading screen artificially.

CaptainClaw

They are apart of the same series the "Forza" Series...just like Halo Wars is apart of the Halo Series not its own series

Sometimes I read threads on GAF and I'm like...what even is this? Like what is happening right now? Is this real? Are all these posts real?

Protome

Your argument was that they weren't apart of the same series...I simply corrected you.

You should read the posts you quote. I said they "aren't the same game series outside of the name" and then you argued that they have the same name.

Besides, that's more of a Franchise vs Series argument. Forza is the franchise, Forza Horizon is the spinoff series.

Top Bottom