• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: 'This (conference) was the part of E3 people don’t like', E3 Focused On Games

We knew about their plan before yesterday's reveal. E3 was always gonna be the conference where they were going to reveal their full lineup.

That's irrelevant - what they did show went down like a ton of bricks, and the reality of it (online DRM/NO used games) only served to confound that.
Any reference to E3 is as good as damage control - because that's what the event will deliver, the plastering of the wounds.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I expect to see their 15 exclusive games at their E3 conference. Going by their abysmal first unveiling, I expect to see nothing but games at their E3 conference actually.

Hystzen

Microsoft could have saved the conference if at the end they showed a sizzle trailer of games then after tell people to come to E3 to see these games with gameplay

ITS NOT THAT HARD

PJV3

Should have launched with a shorter general conference. Later have a TV focused one as well as a game focused E3.

Courage

That's irrelevant - what they did show went down like a ton of bricks, and the reality of it (online DRM/NO used games) only served to confound that.

Right, but you can't say this is PR fluff they had to spurt it out to calm the masses. This was their plan from the beginning.

If that's the case there better not be a peep about media services and OS level stuff come E3. We'll see indeed.

But they still spent half their show talking about games, and yet showed no gameplay.

RibMan

as an employee of a marketing department...

Intentionally revealing your new product with all the features that your target audience won't like it's plain stupid.

Yep. I really hope they're putting together a hell of a press conference for E3, because the goodwill they built up with the 360 is currently on fire.

Trevelyon

Nice way to back yourself into a corner. The expectations are going to even more severe this time around and any fluff any big deviation from the core 'games' focus at the presser will see them get seriously roasted.

The thing is what they showed at the conference wasn't all that impressive. If they showed something interesting I'd be okay having "no games", but they goofed.

I'm all for the Xbox One if they come out swinging at E3, but they really need to sell me.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Without the games all we have to focus on is every single failing the box and their approach has going forward. Honestly even with the games now to be shown, they won't shift opinion or change things. The negatives are burned in. Thats NOT how to do a debut.

I understand them not wanting to blow the lid on everything they had, but they did not show one actual second of someone playing a fucking videogame live on the thing. Not a one.

george_us

The problem is the conference was so awful I honestly don't give a shit what they show at E3.

They could have Half-Life 3, FFXV, and FFVII: Remake exclusive and I still wouldn't buy their piece of shit console.

Albert: ‘So we said: Hey, let’s have a briefing that sort of goes and talks about our aspirations and I hope [mumbles].

Yes, what *did* you hope, Albert? That everybody would be wildly enthusiastic about switching TV channels?

Marcel

- Aim to make something for "everyone"

- End up with designed by committee anti-consumer horror box for no one

I guess it didn't work out.

Hakai

See this is what I don't get, Why can't you reveal it on E3 showing all the games, making a Splash in the game community and then AFTER it, you show the apps, and the whole concept and so on??

-slams fist on the fucking table-

Now that's what the fuck I want to hear Microsoft. You have one shot this year to impress me. Do Not Fuck Me on this..... OR ELSE......

I will
not buy the console, duh.

Didn't they say this several times before the reveal? I feel like they let us know this going in...

• Reveal is about hardware, vision, people
  • E3 is about games

I'm certain that came from Greenburg and Major Nelson.

In any case, so far they did exactly what they said they would do. Guess we'll see if they deliver on the second half.

Yes they did.

The also said in the show INTRO they would talk more games at E3 than on the day and Mattrick said it on stage.

No one pays attention it seems.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
While this makes sense, and it was what I thought would happen Microsoft still doesn't have the best track record of showing games at E3. In the past 3 years their conference has been kinect, smart glass, halo and multiplats with exclusive DLC. Oh and cirque du soleil.

My hopes are not set high.

JambiBum

"...This (conference) was the part of E3 people don’t like."

So you're saying you reveal your next-generation console with the part that people wouldn't like!?

What the hell is going on with the messaging over at MS?
No, that isnt what he is saying. No one likes the part of E3 where each company goes through the boring non game related stuff. Every conference thread is littered with posts asking to get through this shit and get to the games. Doesnt matter what company it is. If they really are dedicating E3 to games and just got this boring shit out of the way then thats great. If they dont follow through then they are fucked.

They mentioned lots of times before hand that there wouldnt be many games here, yet people still reacted otherwise.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
"...This (conference) was the part of E3 people don’t like."

So you're saying you reveal your next-generation console with the part that people wouldn't like!?

What the hell is going on with the messaging over at MS?

Board room at MS:

"People, we need think about what we need to do to reintroduce Xbox to the consumer. How do we blow this reveal out of the park?"

"Let's start off with all the shit that nobody wants and nobody likes! Afterall, everybody knows it's ultimately the second impression that counts, not the first!"

"BRILLIANT!"

Seanspeed

Banned
How are people calling this 'spin'? It seems pretty obvious it was their plan from the get-go.

Negativity in this place is getting exhausting.

Well they better hope they can impress at E3 cause they don't have much time alone in the spotlight like yesterday (unless Sony totally fucks up).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That piece is PR fluff trying to deflect from the disaster that was their conference, it is spin to push attention towards E3 with a promise of delivering where they failed to today. It's clear that the reveal was a focus on the hardware and on vision, both of which largely failed to impress. MS has a shoddy reveal with a plethora of bad news following (which they conveniently omitted from the conference) so we have every right to doubt their competency. Yes there will be lots of games at E3, but to claim the reveal of the system was just flotsam before delivering what people actually want is inane, the reveal sets the tone for the rest.

MS fucked up.

I don't, like, disagree with anything you're saying here, but the response seems weirdly aggressive to the comment in the OP, which seems pretty benign. They said before their conference "This conference is about overall vision, all the games stuff is at E3". They said at their conference "This conference is about overall vision, all the games stuff is at E3". Now they're saying after their conference "This conference was about overall vision, all the games stuff is at E3"... so it seems weird to pounce on that. I don't think this was a particularly good strategy, but it's hardly something they came up with in the wake of a disappointing reveal, this was the state strategy all along.

Bgamer90

Banned
Sure. We decided to only do boring bits for our big reveal. I believe you Microsoft *wink*

Well, the Xbox 360 E3 conference in 2005 was much better than the MTV event (and had more details).

I mean heck, almost half of the MTV conference was spent on the Killers performing songs from "Hot Fuss" and the presenters talking about "how cool" the Xbox 360 faceplates were.

farisr

Obviously, the people overreacting need to relax.

People overreacting because of the lack of games at the reveal, yeah, they need to relax if that's their main issue.

People reacting because of the games fee/online requirements stuff. No. They are entirely justified and should raise as much noise as they can and inform as many people as they can.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Microsoft should just skip E3 then , right ?

If it plays games and they have games to show, no, they shouldn't.

Doesn't change the fact that this device is meant to appeal to a much broader audience than gamers. MS stands to gain a great deal from having this intelligent, connected, market-data-gathering box in as many homes as possible. Much more than they can profit from core gamers. It's a gamble, of course, but so is a gamer-centric console at this point.

Dysun

God forbid you show games for a gaming console reveal, it's not like they couldn't have staggered it a bit or something if there so worried about e3

Jack_AG

Banned
Backpedaling. You announce its primary function, ffs. The main attraction for a games console is the gamer. Now gaming is an afterthought with XBO. Where's all the slick new game-related features to show? TV TV TV TV TV TV TV SPORTS COD DOG TV TV MOVIES SPORTS TV TV TV

Fuck. No.

The "entertainment system" is aimed at Joe Dad, not gamers.

Kifimbo

My first reaction: fair enough.

My second reaction: wait a minute. What he's saying is true for a normal E3, where there is no new console to announce. You know, when they talked about sales, new partnerships, new peripherals, etc. But this is a new console. The first time you're showing it. And you intentionally show the boring stuff that people won't like ? How can a console reveal be boring ?

Top Bottom