• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: 'This (conference) was the part of E3 people don’t like', E3 Focused On Games

will wait to see dem 15 exclusives.

but seriously, Sony's E3 seems like it will be on games too, and they still nailed their reveal.

Drencrom

Backpedal.jpg

Meia

You get one chance to make a first impression. Sony realized this in February. Microsoft months later didn't get the memo apparently.

RibMan

They mentioned it like a week before the reveal that they would show games at E3 and that the initial reveal was the system and the people behind it.

If you've worked in event planning before - specifically events that involve broadcasting, then you know that rehearsals, stage time, cue-to-cues etc. are all 'nailed' during the last two weeks of production.

In other words, it's not a coincidence that Microsoft announced they would be focusing on games at E3. Their Xbox marketing guys likely discovered - a week or two ago - how yesterday's event was actually going to go down, and they had to get ahead of the bad press by announcing their E3 focus on games.

It's a clever strategy employed by a clever company. I would be incredibly and pleasantly surprised if their E3 conference focused only on games.

I can't believe they're saying this with a straight face. Either they really did cram a bunch of stuff no one cares about into their unveiling or they're lying. Either way, it's incredibly stupid.

Carl

"Hey, i know. We'll base our reveal on the shit part of E3 that no one likes, and not include any of the things people do like!"

Bumhead

Banned
I understand the thinking behind leaving E3 just for games, but that doesn't excuse an awful console reveal event.

Just accepting that yesterday was shit because, well, that's the shit bit from E3, is such a bizzarely negative attitude. Surely you want that hype and good news rolling from off the starting grid.

zruben

Banned
Journalist for publication sites that will generate news that reaches potential buyers far, far beyond the tiny confines of GAF.

and funny enough, those publications sites that generate the news are reporting all the confusing and negative shit that came after the conference.

so I guess it was still a bad move.

scitek

It wasn't the terrible media-based approach they took with the conference that turned me off to the machine, it's the awful DRM they didn't talk about that we found out about afterward. The only thing I'm interested in from their E3 showing is games that may have a chance at coming to PC later on, and multi-platform games that I can pick up on PS4.

Sony also gave us a taste of what's to come at E3, but the taste was still games and not TVSPORTSCODMOCAPDOG.

Reveal for PS4

Knack
Killzone: Shadow Fall (actual 6 min demo)
Infamous: Second Son
Drive Club
Media Molecule project
Destiny
The Witness
Capcom Deep Down demo
Unreal Engine 4 demo
Square Agni's Philosophy demo and please be excited
Talk of PS4/Vita cross-play
Talk of being more open for indie devs

Reveal for Xbox One

Kinect voice commands
TV
Sports
Forza 5
Remedy Project
EA target Rendered bs for sports titles
CoD Ghosts
We have fuck loads of games we swear gaming is still our core demographic!

Actions speak louder then words and Sony proved they actually care way more about gamers while MS did the complete opposite. The "wait til E3" argument can only hold so much water and MS' conference for the reveal showed jack shit and pissed off everyone that's a gamer and the statement "15 games and 8 new IP's!" is really setting up to piss people off even further. Surely if they had such a treasure trove of games in the works they could have shown off a few more at the reveal.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't know...there will be great games for sure, but man that doesn't change that there are real issues with the console itself. It's not a matter of games, for me, up to now.
All the internet required/used games fee/mandatory install/no BC/mandatory Kinect issues are there anyway, also when they'll announce the games.

ASIS

Oh bullshit. It was a standard MS conference just like E3 2012 and 2011. Yeah, there will be games at E3 I dont doubt that, but this is one of the worst Damage controls in the history of gaming.

It's like the EA Sports and Call of Duty segments never happened. Not that they're in complete control of what 3rd parties show, but those were wasted opportunities to show the X1 in action (i.e. Not show us "the part of E3 that no one likes" as Albert put it) and MS knows it. Did they have absolutely nothing ready internally aside from two trailers?

Birathen

360 had a paywall, this time they put up barbed wire, guard towers, searchlights and even a bloodthirsty dog patrol. Does not matter what games they show. Also I do not live in amurika.

Saty

I didn't see any casual\kinect game demonstrations yesterday, which people often dislike. Will it be part of the E3 conference?

Cake Boss

Banned
How are people calling this 'spin'? It seems pretty obvious it was their plan from the get-go.

Negativity in this place is getting exhausting.

A gaming forum is pissed because a gaming company announced a console with TV as their main focus and not games, then proceeds to practice anti-consumer acts on their customers.

Yeah where is the negativity coming from?

That piece is PR fluff trying to deflect from the disaster that was their conference, it is spin to push attention towards E3 with a promise of delivering where they failed to today. It's clear that the reveal was a focus on the hardware and on vision, both of which largely failed to impress. MS has a shoddy reveal with a plethora of bad news following (which they conveniently omitted from the conference) so we have every right to doubt their competency. Yes there will be lots of games at E3, but to claim the reveal of the system was just flotsam before delivering what people actually want is inane, the reveal sets the tone for the rest.

MS fucked up.

The piece of fluff here is your post, they said as much two days before the presentation.

It's like the EA Sports and Call of Duty segments never happened. Not that they're in complete control of what 3rd parties show, but those were wasted opportunities to show the X1 in action (i.e. Not show us "the part of E3 that no one likes" as Albert put it) and MS knows it. Did they have absolutely nothing ready internally aside from two trailers?

Maybe those rumors about being 6 months behind on internal production for next-gen software are true.

I mean Forza is an internal launch game.....so far that's it.

mephixto

Banned
Who will be the awkward dancer for dance central this time? Who will pet the tiger cub this time MS?. I bet you are saving all this exciting demos for E3.

Sydle

and funny enough, those publications sites that generate the news are reporting all the confusing and negative shit that came after the conference.

so I guess it was still a bad move.

Except that the viewership of those sites doesn't place so much scrutiny on things like GAF does. Most of the non-game pressers seem to be positive. It seems MS just pissed off gamers (even though they told them flat out like 8 times before, during, and after the show they will see games at E3).

2MF

"Hey guys, you know what would be great after 6 months of negative Xbox rumors? An underwhelming Xbox unveil followed by the confirmation of some of those negative rumors!!"

TheOddOne

No, I think you're underestimating the power of a good press conference/reveal on the fickle, jaded, enthusiast gamer.

The market, of course, won't give a damn. How they ultimately position themselves, their partners, their marketing and releases has much more to do with their success than a boring presser on a Tuesday morning. But if you're talking about a niche consumer like us, the pendulum can swing wildly at the drop of a hat.
We'll see. The pessimist in me doesn't believe it will pan out that way.

While I think we can all agree that this strategy was a failure, here is what was said before the conference:

We're really going to tell one story across two events. So we're going to start on the 21st with a 1 hour event and that's about revealing the next Xbox platform. People are going to get a great inside look at really the making of the new platform and the team that's brought it to life. We're going to bring them behind the scenes a little bit, we've never done this before and so it's really exiting to be able to do that. But I think it's a lot of laying the foundation, probably the best way to describe it, and then just a couple of weeks later we go to E3. E3 is all about the games. If you're a gamer, E3 is going to be tonnes of exclusives, world premieres, and obviously even beyond that we have a lot to share between then and this holiday.

Withnail

Here's an idea: this presser could've been held after E3, showcasing all that TV and OS talk.

No in MS world it makes more sense to use your highly anticipated reveal, watched by millions, as a chance to "get that stuff out of the way".

The company appears to have been taken over by clowns.

I keep hearing E3 was going to be about the games, and yet they did spend 15-30 minutes talking about and showing games yesterday. So obviously some time was set aside for games. Yet those game reveal couldn't have been more pedestrian and has to leave some concerns to what they will be able to show at E3. Revealing games doesn't mean squat when you don't actually show gameplay, or even something that isn't pre-rendered for crying out loud. Now Microsoft not only needs to unveil more games, but actually show something from the games they announced yesterday.

Some people were either too blind to notice or, in truth, never really cared. That was not my issue, honestly.

It's the confusing, contradictory bullshit that came to the fore after the presser that, IMO, has done the most damage.

Yeah, you would think they would have had a meeting or sent a memo about what was what. Nearly every tidbit that's come out post-show has been confirmed denied and confirmed again.

Top Bottom