• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: 'This (conference) was the part of E3 people don’t like', E3 Focused On Games

Hopefully they're correct, but I'll believe it when I see it.

It's not a great start to show your main focus as being an 'entertainment' console, whilst having most of those 'entertainment' features unavailable outside of the US.

Dennis

Banned
Lets take a moment to reflect on the sheer ridiculousness of this spin:

"We deliberately made a shit first ever presentation of our new hardware so our next presentation can be better"

DBT85

But announcing your new product with all the features your potential expanded audience might like is pretty damn smart.

Who do you think was watching this event? That expanded audience or the people that will possibly buy the new box on day 1?

jmood88

I don't buy it. It's almost like people have forgotten about their past two E3s. This sounds like spin. They showed off a new box and they talked about television, experiences, and more television. They also seem to be supporting heavily draconian ideas. They have no one to blame but themselves when it comes to the outrage. No one made Microsoft's unveiling a flashy disaster except for Microsoft. This is one of those, "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" scenarios.

They said that this was the plan before the event, this isn't something new just because people complained about the lack of games.

They didn't even try and cater to devs/gamers and that's what's annoyed people. "It's the next water cooler" Really?

The impression they made and the news that has come out since will be remembered, reported on time and time again and could ultimately throw the next gen into Sony's lap

Exactly.

If they didn't have this conference, people would be complaining that they're wasting time talking about non-gaming specific topics instead of just showing a bunch of games throughout their E3 conference.

Can't win.

Then explain the nearly 30 minutes they had dedicated to gaming that was atrocious and showed no gameplay. Please we are all waiting. They said this conference about the stuff we don't care bout and yet they had about 5 games they tried to show off during this conference. Effect of those pre-rendered reveals, ZERO.

If you guys think Sony is just going to sit around on E3 and do nothing you are in for a wake up call. Microsoft better show games, because as of now Sony has already shown more, and will be going all out at E3.

I don't, like, disagree with anything you're saying here, but the response seems weirdly aggressive to the comment in the OP, which seems pretty benign. They said before their conference "This conference is about overall vision, all the games stuff is at E3". They said at their conference "This conference is about overall vision, all the games stuff is at E3". Now they're saying after their conference "This conference was about overall vision, all the games stuff is at E3"... so it seems weird to pounce on that. I don't think this was a particularly good strategy, but it's hardly something they came up with in the wake of a disappointing reveal, this was the state strategy all along.

I had no clue they had said something like that before. Having known that my disappointment would have been much less. They probably should have communicated that a bit better in their marketing.

Well at least if they are confident in their E3 stuff it does actually make sense for em to push this event from April to May. E3 is right around the corner and the wait for the good stuff is much shorter.

Lunar15

I'm glad they separated it. It's kind of weird: everyone's freaking out about yesterday's conference, but I think they had that one so that we wouldn't freak out about their E3 conference.

Honestly, it looks like the Big 3 have realized that they haven't received good press from E3 in the past few years, and that it's really becoming a niche conference. It's the place to show off the games, not EVERYTHING about the console. They all look to do that, so I think everyone's going to be pretty satisfied at E3.

wrowa

They shouldn't have made it an event then. Hyping your fans up for what is considered the "worst part of E3" is not a particularly smart thing to do. At least not, if you don't want people to trash your console before they've even seen any of its games.

Sydle

Who do you think was watching this event? That expanded audience or the people that will possibly buy the new box on day 1?

Journalist for publication sites that will generate news that reaches potential buyers far, far beyond the tiny confines of GAF.

So, basically, E3 will be a big showcase of third party games that aren't exclusive to their console, XBLA titles, and HALO HALO HALO HALO HALO.

jmood88

The thing is what they showed at the conference wasn't all that impressive. If they showed something interesting I'd be okay having "no games", but they goofed.

I'm all for the Xbox One if they come out swinging at E3, but they really need to sell me.
It was actually very impressive for people who don't frequent video game forums. All the negativity I've seen has come from places like neogaf, everyone else liked what they saw.

Raxus

Look at that spin.

The conference wasn't the problem. It is all the terrible news surrounding it. At this point you will have to announce something huge like the REAL next gen Xbox 361 in order to bring people back. What a disaster.

Backpedaling. You announce its primary function, ffs. The main attraction for a games console is the gamer. Now gaming is an afterthought with XBO. Where's all the slick new game-related features to show? TV TV TV TV TV TV TV SPORTS COD DOG TV TV MOVIES SPORTS TV TV TV

Fuck. No.

The "entertainment system" is aimed at Joe Dad, not gamers.

On Tuesday May 21st, we’ll mark the beginning of a new generation of games, TV and entertainment. On that day, we’ll be holding a special press event on the Xbox campus and we invite you to join us via the live global stream that will be available on Xbox LIVE and Xbox.com. If you are in the US or Canada, you can also watch the broadcast on Spike TV.

On that day, we’ll share our vision for Xbox, and give you a real taste of the future. Then, 19-days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, we’ll continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games.

http://majornelson.com/2013/04/24/xboxreveal/

this is the same thing they've been saying since April

This time of year man, always amazing.

First impressions count.
Very true, but last impressions leave a mark. I think that's what MS' plan is. Most people will forget about this debacle after E3. This was their announced plan all along. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, for now.

http://majornelson.com/2013/04/24/xboxreveal/

this is the same thing they've been saying since April

This time of year man, always amazing.

It really was crazy reading all of the surprised, end-of-the-world reactions yesterday.

For months all we've heard on this forum is that Microsoft was not shocked or taken aback by Sony and that they were confident in their product. Now I am supposed to suddenly believe that Microsoft purposely unveiled their new product by showcasing all of the boring and bad parts first? Get the fuck out of here.

royalan

Yes they did.

The also said in the show INTRO they would talk more games at E3 than on the day and Mattrick said it on stage.

No one pays attention it seems.

Exactly. Microsoft was VERY clear about what they intended to do with yesterday's unveiling. And, judging by this wave of positive press from mainstream media, they were very successful.

It really does seem like the enthusiast gamer crowd is pissed because it wasn't a show dedicated to them...but that one is coming in less than a month, so I'm good. All this "miscomminication" regarded secondhand games is a little disconcerting, but I'll give them until E3 to clear that up, especially since they say they plan to announce a solution. Who knows? Could be good.

zruben

Banned
But announcing your new product with all the features your potential expanded audience might like is pretty damn smart.

yeah, but you can present both features to make it interesting and atractive to everyone.

they could easilly cut some minutes of the EA Sports bullshit and the COD documentary and show a game reel, explain the xbox live improvements, or something more appealing for the gamer enthusiast.

Arnie

A huge problem with debuting the console with this stuff is that the majority of it focuses solely on the US. Spending 20 minutes on TV functionality that's based around US cable, or US fantasy sports and leagues, and then spending another 5 minutes announcing a groundbreaking, yet seemingly vague partnership with the NFL just puts me off.

I already felt excluded from this reveal when they focused on TV, and film, and Internet Explorer. Then the whole thing was covered in a thick American icing that I just can't enjoy.

Lunar15

Although, honestly if I wasn't into games, I'm not sure they showed off enough interesting things to justify the price tag on this thing for me.

Like, we keep saying "oh, this is aimed at people who aren't as big into games", but really, would those people be interested in this system that really only ads a few gimmicky features on to your cable box, especially in a time when less and less people are actually watching live television?

jmood88

Someone tell the shitheads over at Microsoft that there isn't supposed to be a part we don't like.
There will always be a part that people on here don't like because the target audience for consoles isn't just people who play video games all the time.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
MS says the same shit every time. How can anyone believe them by now? For the last 3 years they've shown how little they care about the core gamer and I doubt that they'll change their attitude as long as the Xbox business is good.

I have no doubt they'll have a lot of games on E³ - a lot of Kinect games and other casul shit.

Don't get your hopes up folks.

It's funny it has come to this as after Nintendo and Sony have already shown that one WILL hit bottom ground eventually if you ignore core gamers. Guess Microsoft also needs their slap in the face.

The problem is that the comments from MS here assume that it's the lack of games that people have a problem with (or would have a problem with, if they were made prior to the event) when that's simply not the case - lack of games is way down on the list of reasons why that reveal sucked. It suggests that a plethora of games at E3 will remedy the ambivalence towards the sort of event we saw yesterday, but it's not ambivalence people feel, they just don't like it.

Salaadin

Ill give them the benefit of a doubt here. If they bring it with games at E3, they have my forgiveness for the lackluster conference yesterday.

However, yesterdays conference isnt what left a sour taste in my mouth. Its what transpired after and sadly, I dont think thats going to change.

Lets take a moment to reflect on the sheer ridiculousness of this spin:

"We deliberately made a shit first ever presentation of our new hardware so our next presentation can be better"

You can literally extrapolate it to be this...

Albert: ‘So we said: Hey, let’s have a briefing that sort of goes and talks about our aspirations

Albert: ‘This (conference) was the part of E3 people don’t like.

Soooooooo.....people do not like your vision?

Not only ridiculous spin, but just awful when broken down.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Doesn't matter if they show games when the "features" of the console itself is what people hate.

TheOddOne

The truth is this.

They shouldn't waste more than a couple seconds at e3 talking about tv, sports, Skype, etc. The rest of their presser has to be nothing but announcements and reveals. And not more nebulous bullshit or backpedaling. And dare I say, if they can deliver on the games, the missteps of yesterday might eventually be forgotten.

Maybe.

Or not.
First impression is already bad. Even if E3 amazing-balls, it won't matter.

Even so that was a terrible way to announce the console.

Yup.

What great marketing genius thought, "Hey guys! Lets unveil our brand new console only showing features and talking about aspects of it that no one gives a shit about!"

This reminds me of that editorial by John Riccitiello the other day. In that, here you had MS going on and on about everything but games. No, MS, its the games stupid. Nobody is going to buy an Xbone solely to Skype or multitask or for Kinect. All of those are peripheral, side features that you could sum up in a 10 minute blurb after you've shown how this machine is the best at playing games and providing the best experience for playing games, not watching TV and Skype. And even when they showed games it was basically a very mediocre looking Call of Duty and SPORTSPORTSPORTS.

If MS had no intention of showing any of the "good stuff" yesterday, then why the hell did they even unveil it yesterday? Its already about 2.5 weeks to E3, so if they had no intention of unveiling this machine as a games machine yesterday, why not wait until E3 when they can show their full hand? They've already waited long enough after Sony's announcement, what's another couple weeks if they're just going to drop the ball?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until E3, but between waiting so long to unveil after Sony and then the clusterfuck of an unveil and all the confusion after the unveil, MS isn't making it easy on themselves.

McHuj

Problem is their execution and complete lack of understanding of who was going to be watching this event.

A better approach would have been a hardware reveal and a separate event for the entertainment stuff followed by E3. Ramming the hardware reveal with all the entertainment crap makes it seem like this all the box is about.

Top Bottom