• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple Game Patches/Updates on PS3...

Prezhulio

i'm curious to find out how many of these little annoyances sony actually addresses on ps4 to make a better user experience.

they say they've learned a lot and are out there beating the drum of designing the console with these failures in mind, but i just don't see them making good on it until i've tried it myself. i remember the months leading up to the ps3's release they showed off in-game xmb w/ custom soundtracks to ign in an OS featurette, but that never was truly realized...

On the subject of Steam.... does it still break game installs? Can't count the number of times it required me to redownload the entirety of TF2, before and after the new file format. It was at least 10GB each time even if the update was anywhere between 30-150MB. I know a few of my installs broke just this year alone (TF2, Shank and Dota 2).

Joni

Patches don't have to install on a 360. That's why it is better. And they removed (or raised) the patch size limit a while ago.
Yes, the installing is a bad point, but you can't solve that on the PS3. It was made that way and you can't change it anymore. The patch size limit still existed for Skullgirls and that was in 2013. I don't think they ever raised it although they do allow exceptions for important games.

i'm curious to find out how many of these little annoyances sony actually addresses on ps4 to make a better user experience.
The Vita should give you a good idea of what they're fixing for sure.

BTW where the hell are your Beyond impressions :p ?

They'll be coming real soon, got my copy on Thursday (at last and after a whole load of complaining to Amazon) but I haven't had the time to sit down and play it. Will hopefully be able to get at least a 5-6 hours in on Wednesday, so will post impressions then.

Really looking forward to it.

ChryZ

Downloads Terraria demo an hour ago. Tries to play it soon after. Is prompted to update.

WTF
Sometimes the demo is actually the locked full version of the game, the purchase will just unlock it. I'd guess, it saves money by having just one thing to be certified instead of two (demo+game).

wizzbang

Banned
I doubt I'll be playing it any time soon, but how many are there?

This is my main issue, but the time it finished downloading and installing the patches, I had already moved on to playing on my Vita. Ridiculous that this is still an issue.

GT5 and LBP 1 / 2 are the undisputed champions of patches.
I imagine a brand new PS3 and a fresh copy of the original pressed disc for those games would have at least 10 updates, maybe more :/

They'll be coming real soon, got my copy on Thursday (at last and after a whole load of complaining to Amazon) but I haven't had the time to sit down and play it. Will hopefully be able to get at least a 5-6 hours in on Wednesday, so will post impressions then.

Really looking forward to it.
Jesus dude. That is unacceptable. I ordered the SE from Amazon UK just like you and I got it on October 12th. BUT I LIVE IN GERMANY!!!
Glad you have it though. Have fun and remember to enjoy each scene by itself focusing on her character. The larger context comes later.

Rolf NB

This is probably an extreme case, but it's bloody ridiculous. I hope this doesn't make it over the PS4. Just copy MS and have it so you download one damn patch instead of multiples. Is it really that hard?
MS limits the size of patches to a ridiculously small file size, which causes a whole load of other problems. I really would not want anyone to copy that model.

(e.g. on PSN DLC content is often "hidden" in patches so there's never any issue playing an online match where players have mixed DLC ownership)

What I really do hope for though is that unpatched versions on PSN go away. If a patch has been available for months, I don't want to download an unpatched vanilla version only to be prompted to patch when I first launch it. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Gestault

MS limits the size of patches to a ridiculously small file size, which causes a whole load of other problems.

What are some of those problems? The only thing I've seen is two or three games that have a compatibility patch download, as one file which can be downloaded in the background if you want. I've really liked the streamlined update process for pretty much everything. Mind you, PS+ background update works well, and that's not even tied to PS+ anymore (which goes a long way toward fixing this problem altogether, assuming you have the HDD space for it).

Joni

Not any more, they don't.

Not sure what problems you are talking about, either.

Please show the source for them stopping the patch size limit. As far as I can tell it still existed at the start of 2013 which caused problems for Skullgirls. It is not a hard rule because they're willing to make exceptions. They however only make exceptions for the 5-6 biggest games of the year.

Jesus dude. That is unacceptable. I ordered the SE from Amazon UK just like you and I got it on October 12th. BUT I LIVE IN GERMANY!!!
Glad you have it though. Have fun and remember to enjoy each scene by itself focusing on her character. The larger context comes later.

It is indeed unacceptable. Got a £10 voucher for the delay though, but I doubt I'll be using them again for titles I really want launch day. Terrible service since August...

Ah cool. I've noticed complaints about how the game is structured, but I doubt it'll bother me too much.

Please show the source for them stopping the patch size limit. As far as I can tell it still existed at the start of 2013 which caused problems for Skullgirls. It is not a hard rule because they're willing to make exceptions. They however only make exceptions for the 5-6 biggest games of the year.

I've noticed a number of smaller titles now have patches ranging in the 20mb+ size. It used to be a hard number (5mb or less if I'm not mistaken) but they seem to have dropped the size restriction around the same time as they stopped charging for patches.

Unfortunately, there are no links/sources for this just as it was near impossible to find out MS dropped the fee until a developer leaked that news to Eurogamer.

All of you who are saying Gt5 or LBP2 are the worst never tried topatch "eye of judgment" on ps3.

31000+ files ! Taken in a row... no resume possible..
Not compatible with ps+ download system..

THAT is the undisputed worst.

Good luck taking that in less than a day

macewank

The PS3 is simply a badly designed system in terms of user-experience. The PSN Store is still a janky piece of shit 7 years after launch despite several updates.

Can't patch in more RAM, bud.

The PS3 does just about the best it can with the memory limitations it's working with. PS Store 2.0 is pretty much the best case scenario for a system working with the memory limitations that the PS3 is.

I agree with OP that it is a major pain the ass, at least compared to the 360.

Its one of the many reasons I want to see more in-depth coverage of the OS features on these next gen consoles, as little headaches like these can add up to make the difference in which console you consider your primary platform.

ShapeGSX

Skullgirls is an XBLA game. They have different rules than disc based games.

All of you who are saying Gt5 or LBP2 are the worst never tried topatch "eye of judgment" on ps3.

Jesus Christ.

I agree with OP that it is a major pain the ass, at least compared to the 360.

Its one of the many reasons I want to see more in-depth coverage of the OS features on these next gen consoles, as little headaches like these can add up to make the difference in which console you consider your primary platform.

Yep. It's incredibly frustrating when you want to play a game for an hour or so and you end up spending over half of that waiting for a patch to download.

Ugh.

Gator86

Good lord. I would just give up and eject the game.

Dragon

Banned
PS Plus only downloads updates for the last 10 games you've played last time I checked. Hopefully that changes next gen.

Yep. It's incredibly frustrating when you want to play a game for an hour or so and you end up spending over half of that waiting for a patch to download.
Exactly this, and thats a pretty common scenario.

I just got a new PS3 lately, and I keep forgetting that I don't have all of my games installed or up to date with the patches. GT5 took a few hours and I haven't even put the LBP2 disk in yet.

PS Plus only downloads updates for the last 10 games you've played last time I checked. Hopefully that changes next gen.
What magic is the 360 doing where this isn't even an issue? Didn't the PS3 add support for differential patching at some point? Thats the bar I have set for the PS4 - there's simply no need for overnight processing.

Oh, trust me it gets worse. Add this in with mandatory installs and a 20 gig launch PS3 and... AHMAHGERDSCREWTHISCRAP. If I wanted to play GTAV on that PS3 I'd be screwing with it for a couple hours at least just to get it to run.

At this point, developers pretty much assume you have one of the newer 120 gig+ models for some reason.

I want to send my PS3s out to pasture so bad, but thanks for no BC, Sony. THANKS A LOT.

Tizoc

Oh, trust me it gets worse. Add this in with mandatory installs and a 20 gig launch PS3 and... AHMAHGERDSCREWTHISCRAP. If I wanted to play GTAV on that PS3 I'd be screwing with it for a couple hours at least just to get it to run.

At this point, developers pretty much assume you have one of the newer 120 gig+ models for some reason.

I want to send my PS3s out to pasture so bad, but thanks for no BC, Sony. THANKS A LOT.

Couldn't you just change the HDD of your ye olde PS3?

Top Bottom