• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple reports of joycon connectivity issues in Switch previews

Impulsor

The text reads "It’s important to note that this is before a day one patch that Nintendo says will improve wireless connection." In the video itself, he claims "Nintendo says they're going to fix this in a day 1 patch."

Seems like poor journalism to me. I've been following this and Nintendo hasn't confirmed a damn thing yet.

Is there any further source of his claim that Nintendo will be fixing this in the day 1 update? I saw someone mention there was an update on twitter but I can't seem to find anything.

Yeah a (hopefully very) small amount of that is to be expected with any hardware.

IT seems like bad journalism to me too. I hope its true though.

Anteo

Not buying a Switch because the controller may cause lag...
Buying version of game with noticeable lag...
��

Ill just have to avoid the rain.

Plus, you should see how I played DOOM 2016, it was at 800 * 600.
Still better framerate than Zelda on switch docked mode or wii u

My $150 Bose Soundsport bluetooth headphones cut out if I cover the left ear, no matter how close I am. It's bluetooth technology, has no bearing on poor build quality. That makes no sense.

Ugh, that doesn't sound right, my Sony MDR-100abn's work with both my PC and phone from over 15 metres away while cupping both ear cups... I think this is more dependent on what Bluetooth version the device is using and how well the antenna has been designed.

I would assume that since the Switch itself supports Bluetooth 4.1 that the Joy-cons would be using the same, if that's the case then it would come down to the antenna and signal strength which can hopefully be boosted at the cost of battery life through a software update.

My mistake, it was Stealth_. Went by his profile picture, oops!

Here it is. Who knows. How would a Treehouse Member know anyway?

I was originally in Stealth_'s corner, but he keeps saying it's an isolated problem, when it's happened to Polygon, IGN, GiantBomb, GameXplain, Kotaku, various YouTubers, etc. In the words of one person who got into it with him on Twitter, he seems desperate for the Switch to be a success.

I now think he made the patch info up. :/

Not buying a Switch because the controller may cause lag...
Buying version of game with noticeable lag...
🤔

Playing a game with occasional frame rate hitches and buying a concole that disconnects your controllers is not the same thing.

Besides German Gamepro gave the two versions the same score claiming while the Wii U version has some drops it's not that big of a deal and otherwise the games are the same.

Dlacy13g

My $150 Bose Soundsport bluetooth headphones cut out if I cover the left ear, no matter how close I am. It's bluetooth technology, has no bearing on poor build quality. That makes no sense.

I suppose poor build quality is not the right term as all bluetooth can suffer from that but I have other bluetooth headphones that don't have these issues and work just fine if my phone is in one pocket or the other.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Stealth_ is not a reliable source.

I just remembered this bit of Nintendo of Japan's stream back in January when playing the Sandwich minigame in 1,2, Switch, the joycon simply didn't detect the lady's mouth movements, even the producer of the game itself was on stage and they simply couldn't make it to work until they handed the Joycon to Kacho.

Funny enough that is the right joycon. And it doesn't look to be too far away from Switch.

Otnopolit

I was originally in Stealth_'s corner, but he keeps saying it's an isolated problem, when it's happened to Polygon, IGN, GiantBomb, GameXplain, Kotaku, various YouTubers, etc. In the words of one person who got into it with him on Twitter, he seems desperate for the Switch to be a success.

I feel the same way about going from believing him to just being like "Dude, just stop". Bummer, because it would've been good news. We're still pretty much in the dark.

Nerazar

OMG😆😆

Still $400 for one game is a bit ridiculous unless your fortunate to have a lot of expendable income.

This would be true if Zelda would remain the only game on Switch. But on the other hand $400 is less than $60 on the WiiU in which case Zelda would really be the last game to be released on the console.

I'm scraping money together since I believe that the device will be better supported than the WiiU. But let's see what happens until tomorrow, pre-order is still up.

Ugh, that doesn't sound right, my Sony MDR-100abn's work with both my PC and phone from over 15 metres away while cupping both ear cups... I think this is more dependent on what Bluetooth version the device is using and how well the antenna has been designed.

I would assume that since the Switch itself supports Bluetooth 4.1 that the Joy-cons would be using the same, if that's the case then it would come down to the antenna and signal strength which can hopefully be boosted at the cost of battery life through a software update.

I assume because my headphones are so small, the signal is weaker to conserve battery life. Probably the same thing going on with the Joy-Cons.

I'm pretty sure my headphones are 4.1 as well.

Anteo

This would be true if Zelda would remain the only game on Switch. But on the other hand $400 is less than $60 on the WiiU in which case Zelda would really be the last game to be released on the console.

I'm scraping money together since I believe that the device will be better supported than the WiiU. But let's see what happens until tomorrow, pre-order is still up.

Hey, I can always buy the Switch later this year.
Plus, the price is $500 in my country so.. yeah no Im not jumping in at that price just for Zelda and potential joycon problems. Ill wait.

Don't feel like making a new thread, but the kickstand seems pretty shoddy as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPtPIpXwpvs

That has to be a joke right? That's the infomercial equivalent of doing this!

giphy.gif

I assume because my headphones are so small, the signal is weaker to conserve battery life. Probably the same thing going on with the Joy-Cons.

I'm pretty sure my headphones are 4.1 as well.

Ah, that might be it, hmmm I really hope this isn't an unfixable hardware issue because otherwise Nintendo will have to do a mass recall or replacement program which is the last thing they need right now.

Hey, I can always buy the Switch later this year.
Plus, the price is $500 in my country so.. yeah no Im not jumping in at that price just for Zelda and potential joycon problems. Ill wait.

Nothing wrong with waiting.

I'm getting one just for Zelda, but I am not excited about the hardware at all.

Or the launch lineup, or the lack of a VC, or the clear lack of 3rd party support, or no online in place at launch, or whatever other issues there may be.

Nerazar

Nothing wrong with waiting.

I'm getting one just for Zelda, but I am not excited about the hardware at all.

Or the launch lineup, or the lack of a VC, or the clear lack of 3rd party support, or no online in place at launch, or whatever other issues there may be.

Bomberman has an online mode, though. But yeah, I would love to have VC from the start, too. My plans would include having Zelda on day 1 and Shovel Knight shortly after that, followed by other indie titles. If the system runs well, that is.

Btw: we had "multiple reports" in the OP, but how many are there? That's less than 5 for several hundred test units, right?

Bomberman has an online mode, though. But yeah, I would love to have VC from the start, too. My plans would include having Zelda on day 1 and Shovel Knight shortly after that, followed by other indie titles. If the system runs well, that is.

Btw: we had "multiple reports" in the OP, but how many are there? That's less than 5 for several hundred test units, right?

I've accepted the situation for what it is.

I feel kind of shitty for spending $500 to play one game and then let the thing sit for months until Mario.

It's alright though. I like new toys and I can live with the issues.

LordRaptor

Of the 'big sites' I was under the impression it was only Kotaku and IGN that had had this problem, with GiantBomb, Polygon, Eurogamer and Gamespot all saying they hadn't had any problems...?

Nerazar

I've accepted the situation for what it is.

I feel kind of shitty for spending $500 to play one game and then let the thing sit for months until Mario.

It's alright though. I like new toys and I can live with the issues.

Well, those games are worth the wait. It would still be better, though, if you had more than 2 games coming out for you this year. But Zelda is also my selling point, so I won't argue here. We both know what we buy and we get out of it.

lenovox1

I just remembered this bit of Nintendo of Japan's stream back in January when playing the Sandwich minigame in 1,2, Switch, the joycon simply didn't detect the lady's mouth movements, even the producer of the game itself was on stage and they simply couldn't make it to work until they handed the Joycon to Kacho.

Ah, that's a software and IR camera calibration issue. She was moving her head during the calibration segment and there were bright lights in that environment. It should not present an issue in real life unless you try that mini game in a very sunny environment.

Justinh

He's saying it de-synced and they can't get it to re-sync, regardless of distance or obstruction. Nobody else has said anything like that. Every other report about joycon issues is about how it either temporarily de-syncs or has weird input lag, like in Zelda.

Very different problems there.
Yeah, I agree with this. He even said himself that he gets a different problem than the one showed off in the Gamexplain video. He's also said that it only happens at his home, iIrc, it doesn't happen in other places like where he works.
That has to be a joke right? That's the infomercial equivalent of doing this!

giphy.gif
OMG, that wasted spaghetti... :(

It's a joke. A joke.

The thing is not too sturdy so they shot a silly video.

I keep seeing people say this, but the video wasn't a joke. Check the YouTube description:

"*Editor's note* I've heard from a lot of readers that the video I used to try to illustrate the problems with the Switch kickstand...let's just say it fell flat. My intention was to try to reenact real problems I had, but I see now that the video comes across as forced or cheeky -- like a bad '90s infomercial! While I love the comparison, that wasn't my intention. In the future, I'll be illustrating this type of opinion with tests instead of recreations..."

The video was done in earnest. It may be hilarious and it may seem like a joke, but it was done seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pln9CL8eYTQ

This seems really bad. I wouldn't want them detach while I'm walking with them in my hands.

In their previous podcast I think they mentioned how hard it was for them to take off the joy con straps from the controllers going so far as to say that they had to be "jancked out" from the controller by pulling it out with a lot of force.

I think what's happened is that they did not know that to remove the straps you need to press on the release latch at the bottom of the strap and the release button on the joycon controller so they probably fucked up the mechanism and the joycons don't attach to the system anymore.

I'm pretty sure this is all their fault.

In their previous podcast I think they mentioned how hard it was for them to take off the joy con straps from the controllers going so far as to say that they had to be "jancked out" from the controller by pulling it out with a lot of force.

I think what's happened is that they did not know that to remove the straps you need to press on the release latch at the bottom of the strap and the release button on the joycon controller so they probably fucked up the mechanism and the joycons don't attach to the system anymore.

That would be kinda hilarious.

This is why we wait for hardware reviews before we complain extensively. Not just previews and impressions.

I keep seeing people say this, but the video wasn't a joke. Check the YouTube description:

"*Editor's note* I've heard from a lot of readers that the video I used to try to illustrate the problems with the Switch kickstand...let's just say it fell flat. My intention was to try to reenact real problems I had, but I see now that the video comes across as forced or cheeky -- like a bad '90s infomercial! While I love the comparison, that wasn't my intention. In the future, I'll be illustrating this type of opinion with tests instead of recreations..."

The video was done in earnest. It may be hilarious and it may seem like a joke, but it was done seriously.
Hoo-Doo, are you ok???

I really hope those that are buying at launch either;

1. Check the return policy for open hardware at the retail of their purchase.
2. Wait to see what the general consensus is on reliability before opening.
3. Literally don't care, and don't mind if it take 1+ month or more for Nintendo to diagnose and fix the problem and deal with sending in hardware and awaiting a fixed unit.

dperrin

I really hope those that are buying at launch either;

1. Check the return policy for open hardware at the retail of their purchase.
2. Wait to see what the general consensus is on reliability before opening.
3. Literally don't care, and don't mind if it take 1+ month or more for Nintendo to diagnose and fix the problem and deal with sending in hardware and awaiting a fixed unit.

#3 for me. All systems have problems on launch and need updates and fixes. Why people act like this is a new thing is beyond me.

wonderpug

Neo Member
#3 for me as well. I think the JoyCon issue will either be:

• fixed with a patch day one or within a month
  • not software fixable, but bad enough that they have to do a recall like when they replaced 3.2 million Wii straps
  • not software fixable, but only enough of an issue to be mildly annoying and not enough for a recall

The last option would be the worst, but even then it just means I'd be using the Pro Controller as much as possible when the switch is docked.

ViolentP

Aside from having a Pro controller, I don't really care about this issue simply because Nintendo cannot afford for this to fail so soon after the Wii U. While it won't bankrupt them, their new challenge would be winning back the confidence of the userbase and investors. A fact I am sure is not lost on them therefore I can expect a permanent solution sometime soon.

Quoting myself to let you guys know that giant bomb did OBVIOUSLY break their switch because they either had no idea or really cared about knowing how the joycon attachment worked.

Here's a tweet from Jeff conforming that they broke their joycons probably for the reason I described above.

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/836711678343467008

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/836738922801586176

Of course, they "did not know" and their console "just broke" (just what a little kid would say to avoid responsibility). Of course they knew what was going on but still they just went ahead trying to present the switch as a defective design as a way to gain attention and get the whole gif machine rolling...

BTW, I really like Giant Bomb, I just think they like to play dumb from time to time.

UberTag

Yeah, this has always come off as a non-issue to me. It was clear plain as day that the Giant Bomb crew were mishandling their Switches.
All this did was distract from the actual issue of Joy-Con bluetooth signal interference.

That's the opposite of what I expect from a reputable gaming media site, incidentally.

Jofamo

Has anyone posted this tweet from Nick Robinson (Polygon) yet?

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/836639901806280704
here's @RussFrushtick demonstrating how your mileage may vary when it comes to the Switch's left Joy-Con desync issue

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/836640544704978944
(in case it's not clear: he's super far away and it's working perfectly! but that hasn't been everyone's experience, obvs)

The guy in the video is clearly about >20 feet away from the console, separated by a glass partition, and the JoyCon functions perfectly.

So what are we looking at here? A faulty batch of Switch consoles sent to reviewers, while others are fine? Or perhaps their Switch has already received the Day One update and things are now looking better (Console reviews are due to go out today, so it'd make sense for reviewers to have the update now)?

EDIT: For further clarity;

https://twitter.com/MasterOfLag/status/836646069970825216
https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/836646323713515520

Gus Chicas‏ @MasterOfLag 16h16 hours ago
More
@Babylonian @BriHardGaming @RussFrushtick he didn't hold it with both hands covering the signal
Nick Robinson‏Verified account @Babylonian 16h16 hours ago
More
@MasterOfLag @BriHardGaming @RussFrushtick we did exactly that: behind the back, through a hand, behind a laptop. all worked fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The guy in the video is clearly about >20 feet away from the console, separated by a glass partition, and the JoyCon functions perfectly.

So what are we looking at here? A faulty batch of Switch consoles sent to reviewers, while others are fine? Or perhaps their Switch has already received the Day One update and things are now looking better (Console reviews are due to go out today, so it'd make sense for reviewers to have the update now)?

Personally i go for, like any other hardware launch you are going to get a small percentage of units that aren't quite working 100%. And that there probably some interference going on.

Outside a handful of reports it doesn't seem to common at the moment. They're isolated cases. I guess we will find out more come the weekend.

I think I'll buy a pro controller in the end and if my joy cons present any of the issues I will just send them out for an exchange while continuing my play with the pro.

I think I'll buy a pro controller in the end and if my joy cons present any of the issues I will just send them out for an exchange while continuing my play with the pro.

Same here. I wasn't planning on buying a pro controller right away but no statement being released regarding this issue has me worried.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...y-cons-tested-are-there-really-de-sync-issues

On the face of it, our testing presents credible evidence that one controller has a more solid connection to the base unit than the other, but overall, we had few issues once the limitations of the system were known. But what is a concern is that although very infrequent, Oli's momentary controller glitches happened at very close range to the machine. In terms of the number of hours spent playing games on Switch, he's way ahead of us - and situated so close to the console, we would expect a rock solid sync at all times. It suggests that the weakness of the left controller may present further issues, at a much closer range, in a much more intermittent manner. Our testing, when combined with the range of reports from a relatively small amount of units distributed to press, does make us wonder how this will scale up to a worldwide roll-out encompassing millions of units.

Eurogamer asked Nintendo to comment several days ago, and we'll report back if and when we get a response.

NotLiquid

EDIT: For further clarity;

https://twitter.com/MasterOfLag/status/836646069970825216
https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/836646323713515520

To go from this to something like Schreier's experience is kind of mindboggling to say the least. Maybe this really is an iffy batch? Who knows.

Seik

Banned
If my left Joy Con ends up having problems and I'll have to send it for replacement I'll just buy the Pro Controller faster than I thought I would, it was a guaranteed purchase anyways. :p

Jofamo

I just had a thought, after looking at Nick Robinson's recent tweets compared with these recent reviews.

In Nick Robinson's test, his team are using the Switch in Tabletop mode, undocked. The JoyCon seemingly have absolutely no problem functioning over 15 feet away, obstructed.

In GameXplain's tests, and some of the other reports I've seen, they've tried it while docked, connected to the TV. They've then noticed these problems.

Has there been any reported problems with the JoyCon when in Tabletop mode?

If not, could this be the missing link? Is it possible that the JoyCon are using a different Bluetooth power profile while disconnected, in Tabletop, and Docked modes? It wouldn't make any sense for the JoyCon to be using a weaker signal while the console was docked, but perhaps this is a software bug afterall?

jts

...hate me...
I just had a thought, after looking at Nick Robinson's recent tweets compared with these recent reviews.

In Nick Robinson's test, his team are using the Switch in Tabletop mode, undocked. The JoyCon seemingly have absolutely no problem functioning over 15 feet away, obstructed.

In GameXplain's tests, and some of the other reports I've seen, they've tried it while docked, connected to the TV. They've then noticed these problems.

If not, could this be the missing link? Is it possible that the JoyCon are using a different Bluetooth power profile while disconnected, in Tabletop, and Docked modes? It wouldn't make any sense for the JoyCon to be using a weaker signal while the console was docked, but perhaps this is a software bug afterall?
Sounds possible.

But what if it's the dock obstructing the bluetooth signal? I mean it's supposed to be just plastic and stuff so probably not, but...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Could it also be that the dock is blocking the Bluetooth signal enough to make it drop out sometimes/past certain distances? And it works in tabletop as the tablet is out in the open and not obstructed by the dock?

EDIT: Lol, did read the above post first.

Top Bottom