• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple reports of joycon connectivity issues in Switch previews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKSe7BBVbGg

Completely disconnected joycon, might have to be re-synced?
From SIFTD
This is extremely worrying. According to him in the comment section he tried the following to no avail:

-We've docked the Joy-Cons, same problem
-Altered the sync sequence of the Joy-Cons, same problem
-Went through all the diagnostics on the console, same problem
-Used the sync buton instead of the face buttons, same problem. We've been messing with it for almost a week

Seems like his left joy con worked for a bit, then started losing sync and now its dead completely wireless wise. Might indicate a hardware issue at least for him which of course might still be rare and not connected to the software issue either. Hopefully we get a statement soon

This is extremely worrying. According to him in the comment section he tried the following to no avail:

-Used the sync buton instead of the face buttons, same problem. We've been messing with it for almost a week

Seems like his left joy con worked for a bit, then started losing sync and now its dead completely wireless wise. Might indicate a hardware issue at least for him which of course might still be rare and not connected to the software issue either. Hopefully we get a statement soon
Sounds like the cheap ass mini keyboard i got from aliexpress...

Timeaisis

Don't feel like making a new thread, but the kickstand seems pretty shoddy as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPtPIpXwpvs

c9Ups.gif

Wow this is really concerning. Pisses me off that Nintendo is acting like this isn't happening either. Maybe I'm overreacting, but in the final days leading up to the console's launch, I have to say this situation has killed a significant amount of my hype.

I'm not worried at all. A few defects here or there can be replaced. I'm extremely hyped for the system. All other video game consoles of the past had problems and were fixed.

Wow this is really concerning. Pisses me off that Nintendo is acting like this isn't happening either. Maybe I'm overreacting, but in the final days leading up to the console's launch, I have to say this situation has killed a significant amount of my hype.

I'm fairly sure this is the only case we've heard of where it completely desyncs. That's a very different problem than the input lag that several places have reported.

Blueingreen

"Deranged mindset"?

Most people don't play games online. Look at the trophy and achievement statistics for almost any game on PS4 and Xbox - a majority of people don't play online. I imagine even less Nintendo fans play online. The NeoGAF mega hype is currently for Horizon Zero Dawn, which has no multiplayer at all.. And then Zelda... and prior has been things like Fallout 4 etc.

Is this something you believe or something you want to believe? do you honestly think achievement/trophies are an accurate source for Online statistics when all you have to do is look at last month's NPD results to see that 7/10 of January's bestselling games were Online focused? Madness.

Whether or not you agree, this vacuum is called reality.

Whether or not you agree, in this reality we inhabit there are standards that have been ingrained within this industry for little more than a decade and there should be zero tolerance for a major company demanding £300 for hardware in 2017 that doesn't fulfill half those standards at launch.

pr0cs

Geez is Nintendo ever going to make a statement on this? At least say something that can reassure customers of your damn product.
Can't see them discussing any issues until well after launch. Not like it will make any difference really, people who preordered want the product no matter what.

Vitacat

Can't see them discussing any issues until well after launch. Not like it will make any difference really, people who preordered want the product no matter what.

Yeah. From a corporate POV, it really makes no sense to issue a statement of any kind right now. There are too many variables. For all we know, the issue won't exist at launch or may be patched day one or soon after.

Let's wait till after launch then revisit this issue. For better or worse, hopefully for better.

Is it though...? There's very obviously something wrong with the joy-cons' wireless connection.

He's saying it de-synced and they can't get it to re-sync, regardless of distance or obstruction. Nobody else has said anything like that. Every other report about joycon issues is about how it either temporarily de-syncs or has weird input lag, like in Zelda.

Very different problems there.

Dlacy13g

this reminds me of some poor build quality blutooth headsets i have. Their cheap price is saving grace but if I connect to my phone and have my phone in on the back pocket on the opposite side from where the device receiver / transmitter is it starts cutting in and out. Clears up immediately when i have proximity / line of site but its annoying.

To me, given what Nintendo is trying to push with this device this is a major issue especially for when its in console mode and you are sittng back away from the TV or doing things like 1,2 Switch which by their nature will ensure the joy-con's get blocked by the body frequently as they encourage you to turn away from the screen.

Geez is Nintendo ever going to make a statement on this? At least say something that can reassure customers of your damn product.

They told Kotaku they are looking into it but its hard to make an official statement until Nintendo knows how widespread the issue ends up being and sadly for that to happen they have to wait till its in customers hands.

The fact that Nintendo, in spite of being a huge multinational corporation with billions of dollars of yearly revenue, has such a rigid top-down structure that nothing can happen outside of business hours, is pretty damning.

That's most corporations. And Japanese companies are worst than most of those. I've seen the contracts our social media guys have to sign and corporate watches over them like hawks. Statements don't go out unless HQ in Japan gives the word.

There are problems we'll know about well in advance, but are ordered to keep quiet until it's all worked out.

He's saying it de-synced and they can't get it to re-sync, regardless of distance or obstruction. Nobody else has said anything like that. Every other report about joycon issues is about how it either temporarily de-syncs or has weird input lag, like in Zelda.

Very different problems there.

I second this. The lag issue is very real and can be re-produced, but this sounds like a genuine one-off hardware defect. That has a chance of happening with literally every piece of tech hardware whether it's on day one or year five.

Is there any further source of his claim that Nintendo will be fixing this in the day 1 update? I saw someone mention there was an update on twitter but I can't seem to find anything.

I second this. The lag issue is very real and can be re-produced, but this sounds like a genuine one-off hardware defect. That has a chance of happening with literally every piece of tech hardware whether it's on day one or year five.

Yeah a (hopefully very) small amount of that is to be expected with any hardware.

Glass Joe

LordRaptor

What are the chances that this is a hardware issue, rather than something that could be fixed by a firmware update? I assume they'll be taking proper measures to either replace faulty joycons for no charge and such if it turns out to be a hardware issue?

Most territories have statutory rights regarding non-functional hardware, I wouldn't be worried about buying something that doesn't work unless you're like, buying with cash in a car park off some dude from craiglist or something

Otnopolit

The text reads "It’s important to note that this is before a day one patch that Nintendo says will improve wireless connection." In the video itself, he claims "Nintendo says they're going to fix this in a day 1 patch."

Seems like poor journalism to me. I've been following this and Nintendo hasn't confirmed a damn thing yet.

The only rumor for them addressing it via patch is Shinobi, and that of course is not an official source. Poor journalism, indeed. Hoping they update the article.

Lernaean

Banned
So the joycons don't sync unless i press the sync button, and the unit itself will fall if i forcibly push it?

Screw you Nintendo!

I don't understand why the stand is so flexible in the first place.

That Cnet video is obviously ridiculous, but that plastic used seems terrible.

For such a large device, it should also have been closer to the middle.

CEJames

It's okay, I will play Zelda and you won't.

I have a WiiU
lol

What are the chances that this is a hardware issue, rather than something that could be fixed by a firmware update? I assume they'll be taking proper measures to either replace faulty joycons for no charge and such if it turns out to be a hardware issue?

I own a Wii U
And I'm not getting Zelda at launch cause whatever.

lol Zelda isn't exclusive to the Switch. But anyway. Have fun.

Maxim726X

It's okay, I will play Zelda and you won't.

Yes, a shame that there isn't another way to play Zelda that doesn't include buying a $300 console... In which, arguably, this would be the only game worth owning at launch.

What's the general consensus? Is this a widespread issue or have only a few sites noticed it?

Most territories have statutory rights regarding non-functional hardware, I wouldn't be worried about buying something that doesn't work unless you're like, buying with cash in a car park off some dude from craiglist or something

Yep yep! In the U.S. just about every piece of tech hardware comes with at least a one year warranty as a requirement I believe. This is in addition to store return/exchange policies. If you're skeptical and don't feel like taking the risk, I recommend avoiding Switch until we get a definite answer.

Crazy people like myself are going to buy on day one regardless and take things as they come. As far as I know there is zero precedent for Nintendo having and outright refusing to replace defective hardware. I'll gladly take the risk to play Zelda on the go.

this reminds me of some poor build quality blutooth headsets i have. Their cheap price is saving grace but if I connect to my phone and have my phone in on the back pocket on the opposite side from where the device receiver / transmitter is it starts cutting in and out. Clears up immediately when i have proximity / line of site but its annoying.

To me, given what Nintendo is trying to push with this device this is a major issue especially for when its in console mode and you are sittng back away from the TV or doing things like 1,2 Switch which by their nature will ensure the joy-con's get blocked by the body frequently as they encourage you to turn away from the screen.

My $150 Bose Soundsport bluetooth headphones cut out if I cover the left ear, no matter how close I am. It's bluetooth technology, has no bearing on poor build quality. That makes no sense.

zelas

His problem seems like something new unfortunately.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

What does he mean by this? While docked that the joycon isn't working or he docked it to sync then removed and it's not working.

What does he mean by this? While docked that the joycon isn't working or he docked it to sync then removed and it's not working.

Seems like a combination of both to me. As in the JoyCon is most likely defective and needs to be replaced. This does not appear to bear any relation to the connectivity issues stated in OP.

I'm getting a Pro Controller - can I play that with the USB cord Tethered to the system and also have there been any reports of the Pro Controller having possible sync issues?

Top Bottom