• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple reports of joycon connectivity issues in Switch previews

HotHamBoy

If the tweet in the post I quoted is correct, it really wouldn't be that tough of a solution. The tweet implies that the bundled JoyCon have issues, but the ones sold separately do not.

If that's the case, it's as simple as "register your Switch SN on a Nintendo site and receive a free set of JoyCon" and they just send out new sets. It would take time to produce enough, but it would get sorted.

Will it be a gigantic hassle and money loser for Nintendo? Yeah. Will it be incredibly difficult for the end-consumer to overcome? No, not really.

Yet another reason to wait until this Fall to buy a Switch, especially if you have a Wii U.

- Small initial library
- No VC
- Incomplete online services
- Missing OS features
- Holiday discounts on hardware, games & accessories
- Hardware/OS kinks

Does Giantbomb just do silly stuff for views? I can't take them seriously..

Eating Switch cartridges?
Knocking the Joy Cons out of the Switch?
Dropping the Switch on concrete?
It's the gaming site equivalent of the show Cheers.
They can be amusing but one of the last places I'd go to for real videogame news.

Vitacat

Yet another reason to wait until this Fall to buy a Switch, especially if you have a Wii U.

- Small initial library
But still some great stuff.
- No VC
Don't care
Don't care.
- Missing OS features
Don't care.
Preordered 10 Switch games for between $24 - $36 each. And got the pro controller for $53. Yay Bestbuy + Visa.
- Hardware/OS kinks
It'll all get sorted. Early adopting is a trip.

Isn't the sync button that little button between the SR and SL buttons? He doesn't even press it.

Anyway, Nintendo should really say something about this anyway, with the launch being so close and the reviews coming out on the 1st, they can't afford to be silent.

SenkiDala

Isn't the sync button that little button between the SR and SL buttons? He doesn't even press it.

Oh yes it is! Wtf this dude is doing? xD

2VJUed5.png

-shadow-

I assume the controller was already synced with the system. Which would explain why he doesn't use the sync button. I don't press it either every time I use my Wiimote or Pro Controller. Though he still should've shown what would happen if he did.

I assume the controller was already synced with the system. Which would explain why he doesn't use the sync button. I don't press it either every time I use my Wiimote or Pro Controller. Though he still should've shown what would happen if he did.

Not every time, but I've definitely had to resync controllers that were once paired to a system

Jedi2016

I'm thinking it might have, you know... synced.

I mean, it seems kind of silly not to even try it. Sure, everyone's saying that the controllers aren't really dsyncing, but without pressing the button, you're not even bothering to rule it out.. what if that one did actually desync, for whatever reason?

nothing from nintendo?

Other than "we're investigating"

He never claimed he pressed the sync button. He said he'll push a button to try to sync it like pressing a random button so it will blink and sync with the console. It was most likely already synced and that's why he didn't specifically press the sync button. Some are trying to undermine this issue is so funny.

enbred

Banned
Some of these videos are starting to feel like trolling.

Click bait. Unfortunately it works. Even when people just share the video to mock it (like the CNET kickstand video) it results in them achieving their goal (views = ad revenue).

If the controller desyncs, you should have too. Those flashing colors usually happen when a button (not the sync button) is pressed but the controller can't find the system or vice versa. It also happened with the wiimote if it was desynced and I absolutely had to press the sync button.

Pandy

Some of these videos are starting to feel like trolling.
Hot-topic click-bait. Nothing more.

I'm going to tune out of this until we get a fuller response from Nintendo, or Digital Foundry do a proper video on this that we can actually draw some meaningful conclusions from.

HardRojo

As I said in the other thread, if it's just the JoyCons bundled with the console that are bad, I'm not too worried. That means the solution is just Nintendo having to give people replacements.

At least it doesn't seem like an inherent design problem a la AntennaGate

Lol yeah, easy for guys in Europe, Japan and the US I suppose since Nintendo has official presence there and can sort out stuff like this quickly. It'll be a nightmare in Latin America as they'd have to go through their distribution partners here and even then that might prove to take a good while.

- Small initial library
But still some great stuff.
- No VC
Don't care
Don't care.
- Missing OS features
Don't care.
Preordered 10 Switch games for between $24 - $36 each. And got the pro controller for $53. Yay Bestbuy + Visa.
- Hardware/OS kinks
It'll all get sorted. Early adopting is a trip.
Great that it all works out just fine for you! It ain't the same story for everyone though, but Nintendo will manage if many of their consumers simply don't care, just like you.

-shadow-

Not every time, but I've definitely had to resync controllers that were once paired to a system

Really? Only times I do this is whenever I've synced it to another system. Which is pretty often admittedly.

I mean, it seems kind of silly not to even try it. Sure, everyone's saying that the controllers aren't really dsyncing, but without pressing the button, you're not even bothering to rule it out.. what if that one did actually desync, for whatever reason?
Yeah that's why I do think it's odd he didn't do it, but could explain why. Hence why I said he still should've done so. But oh well, Shane doesn't always seem like the brightest. No matter how much I love the guy for his work.

SenkiDala

Haha, maybe pushing the other button also triggers syncing? The joycon does seem to be doing something (see lights). But yeah, this looks silly.

Yes, yes, of course it does, even on the Wii once it's synced, you just need to press a button, like A, and it works, but if your controller is desynced or seem to have problem to sync... You, at least, TRY to press the sync button... xD

Justinh

Oh yes it is! Wtf this dude is doing? xD
I think the way it's supposed to be is like the Wiimotes, where once they are paired to the system, you don't have to re-pair them with the sync button every time you wanna use it. You just press a button and they sync up. (oh this has been mentioned....)

He said on his podcast that he's had to play Breath of the Wild entirely in handheld mode because he can't keep the controller connected and it keeps disconnecting

Pandy

That was a solid minute of someone knocking the Switch over.

Why
I'm going to assume that when the WiiU launched they also had a video where they stood the gamepad vertically in the stand, then knocked it over repeatedly while laughing, as a toddler might.

I mean, yea, once the controller is synced a simple button press should connect it to the console, but seeing how the joy cons are having problems it shouldn't be ruled out that the controller simply desynced, which was weird to me that he didn't press the sync button.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

You tend to press sync when you need to pair a new Bluetooth device, not every time you need to connect it.

enbred

Banned
On the Wii there is a sync button on the console itself and on the Wiimotes, and you're supposed to press both within a short time of each other to sync. Is there such a button on the Switch itself or just the joycons?

Also attaching the joycons to the Switch syncs them immediately.

SenkiDala

I think the way it's supposed to be is like the Wiimotes, where once they are paired to the system, you don't have to re-pair them with the sync button every time you wanna use it. You just press a button and they sync up. (oh this has been mentioned....)

He said on his podcast that he's had to play Breath of the Wild entirely in handheld mode because he can't keep the controller connected and it keeps disconnecting

Yes it's what I said in my next post. :) But what I don't understand also is why he "needs" to play all the time in handheld mode, since all the reviewsers received a Pro Controller? All the one I've seen in France or USA at least got a Pro Controller.

But yes we know there's a sync problem and Nintendo need to fix it obviously.

Otnopolit

Yes it's what I said in my next post. :) But what I don't understand also is why he "needs" to play all the time in handheld mode, since all the reviewsers received a Pro Controller? All the one I've seen in France or USA at least got a Pro Controller.

The wait has been terrible.

PrimeBeef

On the Wii there is a sync button on the console itself and on the Wiimotes, and you're supposed to press both within a short time of each other to sync. Is there such a button on the Switch itself or just the joycons?

Is it possible the sync issue or some of the syncing issues is from people hitting the sync button while playing?

EloquentM

aka Mannny

The sync "button" for the switch is in the UI of the console. Also controllers automatically sync from a wired connection I.e. Attaching the joy-cons to the switch rails as you've pointed out.

Justinh

I apologize for restating your post. I need to remember to refresh after ditching a tab for a while.
He said that SIFTD didn't get a Pro controller from Nintendo.

tsumineko

Click bait. Unfortunately it works. Even when people just share the video to mock it (like the CNET kickstand video) it results in them achieving their goal (views = ad revenue).

I unsubbed from Cnet when I saw that video. They got one ad view from me, but no more.

Top Bottom