• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple reports of joycon connectivity issues in Switch previews

Here's a picture of the CNET guy that made the video
265057-KinectHeader.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Does Nintendo PR even exist? These joy con issues should have official responses within a matter of hours once they start spreading around. I want to know what their answer to these problems are.

Wereroku

Does Nintendo PR even exist? These joy con issues should have official responses within a matter of hours once they start spreading around. I want to know what their answer to these problems are.
Of course they have PR but this is an NA/EU issue and they have to run it through noj before they can make any major announcements probably. Also most of the hardware folks are noj anyway.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

They have xdr for this who's almost ready to go everybody who has a sync issue and kick them into their senses.

Narroo

This video is terrible but it does seem like the kickstand isn't as stable as it probably should be. I forgot which unboxing it was but the moment they took it out of the box and extended the kickstand, it nearly tipped over.

edit: wait I remember. It was the EZA unboxing. timestamp

They're clearly pushing the thing over. Exactly how much abuse is the thing supposed to take on a table top mode? My laptop doesn't get knocked around that much.

zelas

Ok but what about the joycon issue this topic is about? Any word from Nintendo yet detailing how they're going to fix this?

BiggNife

Does Giantbomb just do silly stuff for views? I can't take them seriously..

Eating Switch cartridges?
Knocking the Joy Cons out of the Switch?
Dropping the Switch on concrete?
Giant bomb does silly shit all the time. They enjoy goofing around and don't really give a shit about being taken "seriously."

Like, these are the same dudes who played 3DS games on a rollercoaster and spend three hours watching terrible old promotional tapes to laugh at them.

And giantbomb isn't a site that does stuff "for views." They do this sort of stuff because they think it's funny.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ok but what about the joycon issue this topic is about? Any word from Nintendo yet detailing how they're going to fix this?

Total silence until now. Seeing that the weekend has passed and it's already Monday with no reaction from NoE, my feeling is that the issue is not easily fixable and won't be solved via the day 1 patch.

Total silence until now. Seeing that the weekend has passed and it's already Monday with no reaction from NoE, my feeling is that the issue is not easily fixable and won't be solved via the day 1 patch.

Hmm but they wouldn't issue a response over a weekend, right? And Monday has barely just begun. I'm not saying your conclusion is wrong, but I don't think there's much to discern from the past two days of silence.

Interfectum

I'd say lets wait a couple days into this week before throwing in the towel. IIRC dev kits don't have this issue which tells me it could be an OS/firmware thing over a hardware fault.

If Nintendo had effective PR and marketing, then the Wii U being named as such wouldn't have happened, nor would the Switch be launched as half-ass as it seems to be.

Interfectum

The fact that Nintendo, in spite of being a huge multinational corporation with billions of dollars of yearly revenue, has such a rigid top-down structure that nothing can happen outside of business hours, is pretty damning.

Work happens outside business hours but there is no need to issue PR on a Saturday or Sunday. If they have anything to say, weekdays will give them maximum exposure.

The fact that Nintendo, in spite of being a huge multinational corporation with billions of dollars of yearly revenue, has such a rigid top-down structure that nothing can happen outside of business hours, is pretty damning.

The way I see it, Nintendo isn't going to make a public comment. The only further elaboration we get will come by way of journalists on twitter who are going to seek an answer from Nintendo before finalizing their hardware reviews. Neither publications nor Nintendo's PR department are working on the weekends. Reviews go up on Wednesday, so hopefully we will hear Nintendo's response to journalists by then.

LordRaptor

How so?

I'm sure they rigorously tested the system and there's simply been a bad batch.

I personally doubt it's an actual design flaw.

Given Nintendo seem to have sent out a shit ton of preview units to all sorts of press and random youtubers and the only reports of this issue are the 4 units in the OP and apparently one report from Belgium - with a bunch of people watching for any news of problems like hawks - yeah, it seems a stretch to jump to the conclusion this is a widespread endemic problem that is going to require a recall and demands a PR statement

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Question. How do business days work?

Hmm but they wouldn't issue a response over a weekend, right? And Monday has barely just begun. I'm not saying your conclusion is wrong, but I don't think there's much to discern from the past two days of silence.

It's almost the end of the business day where NoE is.

Edit: Also most of NoE PR is done around 14:00 and 15:00 CET.
And it's certainly end of business day in Japan.

jts

...hate me...
I think it may be a bit like the iPhone 4. Not necessarily a design oversight but some trade-off they accepted due to low frequency/low probability of the incident. Radio is tricky, and when you make small radio stuff that can be almost completely encompassed in your hand, it gets trickier. When I tried to wrap my hands around my AirPods they also stopped working.

There's a chance Nintendo won't acknowledge at all - while perhaps working silently on firmware as plan A, and improve the internal design to match the right Joy-con's (which is also not completely immune btw) performance as plan B.

Worst case scenario, it is what it is, take it or leave it.

I will do my own judgement when I own the console. It's not like stuff can't be returned anyway.

Oregano

If it is something easily fixable it makes much more sense to quietly fix it than drawing attention to it with an official statement. It remains to be seen though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If it is something easily fixable it makes much more sense to quietly fix it than drawing attention to it with an official statement. It remains to be seen though.

The media (both in US and EU) has already reached them asking about these issues. It's way passed "quietly fixing it".

Edit: I'm pretty sure that Nintendo would want to answer them before the Switch reviews hitting on Wednesday. If they have an answer yet.

Oregano

The media (both in US and EU) has already reached them asking about these issues. It's way passed "quietly fixing it".

Edit: I'm pretty sure that Nintendo would want to answer them before the Switch reviews hitting on Wednesday. If they have an answer yet.

The media is a drop in the ocean compared to the people who will be buying and playing on launch day and not all of the media gas had issues and it's been to varying degrees.

Blueingreen

Great that it all works out just fine for you! It ain't the same story for everyone though, but Nintendo will manage if many of their consumers simply don't care, just like you.

I'm very curious as to what kind of vacuum one has to reside in where a dedicated gaming platform launching in 2017 with "incomplete online" as stated is perfectly acceptable because he "doesn't care" it's a deranged mindset.

gossi

I'm very curious as to what kind of vacuum one has to reside in where a dedicated gaming platform launching in 2017 with "incomplete online" as stated is perfectly acceptable because he "doesn't care" it's a deranged mindset.

"Deranged mindset"?

Most people don't play games online. Look at the trophy and achievement statistics for almost any game on PS4 and Xbox - a majority of people don't play online. I imagine even less Nintendo fans play online. The NeoGAF mega hype is currently for Horizon Zero Dawn, which has no multiplayer at all.. And then Zelda... and prior has been things like Fallout 4 etc.

TheFuzz

Whether or not you agree, this vacuum is called reality.

I'd have to agree with this statement. Nintendo issuing an official statement about this would draw more attention than anything else. It's best for them to troubleshoot and fix it on their own before issuing a statement.

I'm struggling to think of a time when a company had a hardware problem like this and issued a statement before having a fix either planned or implemented.

Effect

I think it may be a bit like the iPhone 4. Not necessarily a design oversight but some trade-off they accepted due to low frequency/low probability of the incident. Radio is tricky, and when you make small radio stuff that can be almost completely encompassed in your hand, it gets trickier. When I tried to wrap my hands around my AirPods they also stopped working.

There's a chance Nintendo won't acknowledge at all - while perhaps working silently on firmware as plan A, and improve the internal design to match the right Joy-con's (which is also not completely immune btw) performance as plan B.

Worst case scenario, it is what it is, take it or leave it.

I will do my own judgement when I own the console. It's not like stuff can't be returned anyway.

I thought for a while since this showed up that Nintendo could very possibly say that there is an optimal distance you have to be from the Switch in docked mode. I think people should likely prepare for that. Will it annoy people? Yeah. There very likely will be a trade off for the tech in regard to distance. Doesn't stop them from still doing a revision, doing things behind the scenes, etc. Even then completely covering the devices is likely going to kill the signal no matter what.

Think about the actual ads for the Switch. Look at the distance people are shown to be in those ads when playing ARMS, or Mario Kart, or Zelda or 1 2 Switch or Just Dance. They're all fairly close. 3 to 7 feet from the Switch system and TV itself. The advertisements are telling you how far you should expect to be. Now granted wireless controls ideally should allow one to sit further but that's a customer expectation and those will differ from the product marker. People will say well this other controller lets me sit <insert distance> far away. Nintendo will likely come back and rightfully say I think, "that they're not JoyCons nor are they doing what the JoyCons are designed to do so the expectation should be different. Don't sit so far away. If you want to sit further away here is the controller (Pro) you can use".

I want them to increase the signal. I want to fix this is if they can and in away they can. How I think people should be prepared for the above if the JoyCons work just fine in that "optimal" distance range.

It's Nintendo and Nintendo fans will defend this thing no matter how mediocre the launch seems. They will defend it with their lives.

I can't wait to play Zelda.

So much so that I'm buying this console for a single game. I have never been less excited about a hardware launch in my life. Can't really get excited about a dedicated gaming device that is essentially a $200 tablet.

As soon as Zelda is done, it's not getting touched until Mario comes out.

I guess I could play virtual console games. Oh wait....

TheFuzz

It's Nintendo and Nintendo fans will defend this thing no matter how mediocre the launch seems. They will defend it with their lives.

I can't wait to play Zelda.

So much so that I'm buying this console for a single game. I have never been less excited about a hardware launch in my life. Can't really get excited about a dedicated gaming device that is essentially a $200 tablet.

As soon as Zelda is done, it's not getting touched until Mario comes out.

I guess I could play virtual console games. Oh wait....

You lump Nintendo fans together and then assume they all have the same interests. That they don't want to play the other games and basically call them stupid for wanting a stupid little tablet. Then you say since Zelda matters to you, that's all anyone else cares about.

That's a lot of passive aggressive anger dedicated at a particular audience, one who may not care about the same things you do.

You lump Nintendo fans together and then assume they all have the same interests. That they don't want to play the other games and basically call them stupid for wanting a stupid little tablet. Then you say since Zelda matters to you, that's all anyone else cares about.

Piss off.

Clearly referring to the stereotype that exists and is blatantly obvious in every switch thread is out of the realm of understanding for some.

Piss on.

I guess.

HardRojo

After seeing that CNET kickstand video I see one little complaint I could have, not having at least 2 more angles available, other than that, who the fuck is going to keep moving the console around every second? Except for the problem I mentioned, the rest of the video pretty much pointless.

TheFuzz

Clearly referring to the stereotype that exists and is blatantly obvious in every switch thread is out of the realm of understanding for some.

Piss on.

I guess.

Oooh okay, I gotcha. We can just reinforce stereotypes and insult people when their priorities or personal tastes don't line up with our own.

You're being passive aggressive and you know it.

Sorry haven't read through the thread but does this happen at a specific distance? Say further than you could use a wiimote? Or does this just happen randomly?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pln9CL8eYTQ

This seems really bad. I wouldn't want them detach while I'm walking with them in my hands.

I'm starting to wonder if this is some weird damage control seeing how often this non-issue is brought into discussion into the threads about a real issue.

Sorry haven't read through the thread but does this happen at a specific distance? Say further than you could use a wiimote? Or does this just happen randomly?

It happened as close as 6 feet, but for most the issues popped up more consistently between 9 and 10 feet.

Ripenen

According to reports if your hand measures more than 19.3 centimeters from base of palm to tip of middle finger, and if your hands contain greater than 52% water, then you'll see the disconnect.

Really? That is really poor. How often does it disconnect usually?

It apparently doesn't really disconnect, the signal just lags a bit at times during these circumstances.

Which, don't get me wrong, is a big problem and needs to be addressed. If we don't hear anything by Wednesday from media outlets or Nintendo themselves I'm gonna be pretty annoyed and worried.

Top Bottom