• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muramasa will no longer be published by Xseed

Oldschool

US, April 20, 2009 - Fans eagerly awaiting the American release of Muramasa: The Demon Blade should keep their eyes peeled for some new publishing news in the near future. First, IGN has learned that XSEED Games, formerly set to debut the title stateside, will no longer be handling distribution. The company released a statement to IGN confirming this news this morning.

XSEED Games confirms that it is no longer involved with the North American release of Muramasa: The Demon Blade. XSEED Games and Marvelous had previously announced the game as part of the initial line up between the two publishing partners. We firmly believe in the product and will look forward to seeing it release in North America. We enjoy and respect our relationship with Marvelous, and are committed to working together to deliver an amazing line up of games in the US including the highly anticipated Little King's Story, the epic RPG Arc Rise Fantasia and Suda51's intriguing mystery adventure Flower, Sun, Rain.

IGN expects news about the game's new U.S. publisher soon. Stay tuned.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/974/974308p1.html

Kifimbo

FoneBone said:
Maybe a bigger publisher offered to pick it up and put more into marketing than Xseed would have?

That's a good guess. But XSEED/Marvelous contract had to be broken. Either XSEED didn't respect it and lost the rights to publish the game or Marvelous broke the contract and they (or the mysterious new publisher) paid the price.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Cosmonaut X said:
Hm. Reading between the lines, it seems Marvelous pulled out. Wonder why?

I hate to be the one to make mention of such a thing in a thread, but maybe they were less than impressed with its debut in Japan and fear for its success rate Stateside...? Even for a niche title there could still be room for it to underperform.

SovanJedi said:
I hate to be the one to make mention of such a thing in a thread, but maybe they were less than impressed with its debut in Japan and fear for its success rate Stateside...? Even for a niche title there could still be room for it to underperform.

Well, it's certainly going to sell through its initial shipment in Japan, but it's not clear yet whether it will meet the domestic target of 56k Marvelous set for it (I think it will, but the Wii market in Japan is quite unpredictable).

Perhaps they are plumping for a publisher with more clout to try and improve its chances, but I wonder whether there may be some behind-the-scenes issue (Rune Factory Frontier?)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Didn't someone hint at this in another thread like, yesterday or 2 days ago? From what I recall, they didn't seem unhappy about that either, so I suspect the game will still be published in the US, only by another publisher.

Maybe SEGA? They seem to enjoy publishing fairly niche/risky titles on the Wii these days :p.

mollipen

Kilrogg said:
Didn't someone hint at this in another thread like, yesterday or 2 days ago? From what I recall, they didn't seem unhappy about that either, so I suspect the game will still be published in the US, only by another publisher.

The game is still being published in the US. Anybody worrying about that is getting themselves worried over nothing.

shidoshi said:
The game is still being published in the US. Anybody worrying about that is getting themselves worried over nothing.

Bu-bu-bu-buuuu REGGIE! FatalframedisastercaptainrainbowRRRRAAAAAARGH!

(I think that covers it ;-) )

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
My initial reaction was that XSEED has its hands full with Little King's Story and the like, but who knows?

Every single title they've been publishing has gotten delayed this year, so it might be a case of 1) XSeed needs to drop a project, 2) Marvelous wants to push the title big, 3) Mystery publisher wanted the game and serendipity just worked its magic

mollipen

By the way... I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be giving this news out yet or not, but the new publisher is Activision. The game is indeed going to be delayed, because they're making a few tweaks to it. The male character is being changed to Tony Hawk, the female to Judy Nails (from Guitar Hero), and the title now will be "Activision All-Stars vs. The Soulless Armada from Ancient Japan." Oh, and the game will now be in 3D.

So, again, nothing to worry about.

Tenks

shidoshi said:
By the way... I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be giving this news out yet or not, but the new publisher is Activision. The game is indeed going to be delayed, because they're making a few tweaks to it. The male character is being changed to Tony Hawk, the female to Judy Nails (from Guitar Hero), and the title now will be "Activision All-Stars vs. The Soulless Armada from Ancient Japan." Oh, and the game will now be in 3D.

So, again, nothing to worry about.

Don't forget that they also announced the squeal and the sequel to the sequel already

zigg

Stumpokapow said:
Every single title they've been publishing has gotten delayed this year, so it might be a case of 1) XSeed needs to drop a project, 2) Marvelous wants to push the title big, 3) Mystery publisher wanted the game and serendipity just worked its magic

This is pretty much my operating theory as well, for what it's worth.

Stumpokapow said:
It sounds to me like option 2. Changing to a better distribution partner than XSEED...Ubisoft and Atlus come to mind.

billy.sea

Banned
Dascu said:
I'm calling it: Ubisoft got it and they're going to replace the boxart with generic ninja art.

You can't blame them because simple move (nearly no cost) like that will make the game sell million.

Akai

Auuuugh...I'm a little worried now, because if anyone was going to keep the game as close to the original as possible (maybe even the Japanese voice-acting), it was XSEED... =\

Man, so many people freaking out and blaming Nintendo for this?
Amazing...
Anyway, I'm putting my money on Sega. Seems to be their thing lately.

Mamesj

Banned
Is it misdirected hate day on gaf? :lol

there's no problem here. It'll get picked up by a different, probably larger publisher, and will sell 10 copies instead of 9, as a result of one 2" x 2" ad in the back of game informer magazine.

CrisKre

Is there any cause of concern here?

I think the title is implying there is another publisher lined up for the title. Am i missing something?

Volcynika

As long as it's a publisher that'll give the game a great localization, I'm happy.

(C'monnnnnnnnnn Atlus, you haven't announced your second half of 2009 lineup! /excluding Persona PSP)

*hopes for good things*

Also, you people yelling at Nintendo are completely stupid, so quit your complaining.

Chairhome

I hope that this announcement means that XSEED is focusing on Retro Game Challenge 2. Cause that's what should be happening.

Top Bottom