• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama (Steam) |OT| More "bugs" than Batman!

All of their ports have this problem. I think it comes from emulating the arcade hardware, so every time you run the game is like resetting the cabinet. The only workaround is saving your replays and/or playing score attack, so your best score is always uploaded on the leaderboards.

The original arcade hardware preserves high scores for all eternity (or until the battery on the board dies). The 360 ports also have no issues saving local scores.

japtor

I wish the leaderboard wouldn't reset when restarting the game. I can't 1cc this for shit right now and it'd be nice to at least stack my runs up against older ones when it comes to the score. Right now there's nothing T_T
Might not help much with how big scores can get, but on the continue screen try to keep a mental note of your score, like a loose ballpark. Or round up to an easier number to remember and make that your checkpoint/goal. Not a super great way of doing things but pretty simple when you play enough.

If you get really into it, pay attention on the level end screens and you can remember about how much you should have by each level. Another trick is if you're getting the score based life extends, remember where you are when you hear the extend sounds. It's nice when you're used to hearing it on a particular level/section consistently, then all of a sudden one day hearing a lot earlier.

(little things I've picked up from playing PCBs and not having the luxury of saved leaderboards on mine :p)

I really wish the game had a "Continues used" counter on the ending screen.

This would be nice since keeping track in your head can be error prone. I have had a few ideas how to solve it outside of the game.

Old school solution: Keep a stack of tokens around (can be practically anything from quarters to fancy arcade tokens/poker chips [that you totally didn't steal]). Set a token down to start the game.. stack one each continue.

New School solution: Any smartphone (or if you are fancy enough to have a smartwatch) will have a counting app.

Cool School solution: Would be relatively easy to have an application that reads the input for 'start' (or whatever button continues) from the controller to keep track each time it is pressed. Could even do fancy stuff like setting a variable limit so after say 5 times pressing continue it will swallow the input and not propagate it to the program.. effectively allowing you to define a custom credit limit for any game.

Tain

If you can only clear the game at 5CC and you work that down to 4CC that is an accomplishment. You are showing improvement, whether or not the game or community showers you with praise, the fact remains you are getting better. Anyone who tries to belittle that can fuck right off. It is one of the things that feeds into the extremely inclusive nature of these games and holds them back. We can have our difficult games and the strong satisfaction that comes with overcoming that difficulty without being shits about it.

I agree with all of this, but I don't really have a lot of exposure with communities where I see people shitting on others for their skill. Generally I only see people suggesting that others go for single-credit clears.

I feel the need to be clear on this because I think it's a stance that can be easily misinterpreted: I've been very adamant about suggesting that people go for 1CCs and generally critical about credit feeding over the years not because I have any interest in belittling others (I'm pretty sure the numerous STG players around here that are significantly better than me would ether me if that were the case), but because I strongly feel it's both the most enjoyable and effective way to learn these games. I think entering a stage you've never seen before, never heard before, never felt before is a wonderful experience. I think that restarting from the top each time keeps you on your toes and keeps stages burned into your brain much more effectively than becoming numb to death after death while coasting through them. And I think that most new players don't understand how accessible this method of play really is (can't blame them), so I push for new players to try it and I push for developers disabling continues by default and so on.

linid0t

I think entering a stage you've never seen before, never heard before, never felt before is a wonderful experience.

I definitely agree wholeheartedly with this bit - in fact I wish training mode locked stages until you've reached/cleared them in score attack first.

Mubbed

I wonder if there's any way they can salvage the replays that aren't saved properly. I have a replay save that says clear all but shows me dying fairly early on. ShadowPlay didn't record it properly either most likely due to the resolution.

I've been very adamant about suggesting that people go for 1CCs and generally critical about credit feeding over the years not because I have any interest in belittling others (I'm pretty sure the numerous STG players around here that are significantly better than me would ether me if that were the case), but because I strongly feel it's both the most enjoyable and effective way to learn these games. I think entering a stage you've never seen before, never heard before, never felt before is a wonderful experience. I think that restarting from the top each time keeps you on your toes and keeps stages burned into your brain much more effectively than becoming numb to death after death while coasting through them. And I think that most new players don't understand how accessible this method of play really is (can't blame them), so I push for new players to try it and I push for developers disabling continues by default and so on.

It is a tough balance, and the games themselves don't make it any easier as we've discussed previously with the endless continues by default. My preference is to also practice section repeatedly until it becomes solid. I think this comes from a background of practicing musical instruments. But I also understand that not everyone is wired this way and can burn out or become discouraged seeing the same block of 900 pixels over and over so full runs with loads of continues that they slowly improve on the whole over time may be more appealing.

It is cool that both types can be happy so I try to encourage people to go with their preference.

I wonder if there's any way they can salvage the replays that aren't saved properly. I have a replay save that says clear all but shows me dying fairly early on. ShadowPlay didn't record it properly either most likely due to the resolution.

It is a probably a good idea to record any replay you care about immediately out to a video. Upload it to youtube and set it to private if you don't want it stealing hard drive space. At least until the patching settles down so the possibility of replay breaking is less likely.

shockdude

Very close to doing a 1CC Novice Maniac; choked at the final boss with 10% health left. Next time I'll try not to die with full bombs in stock.

Also tried Ultra Original for the first time and lol. Used a bunch of continues and gave up at the Stage 2 boss. That mode is hilariously obnoxious.

MrDoctor

it's a bug related to changing the screen settings. try it again without ever going into the options after launching the game

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Mushihimesama reminds me of Apidya, an old Amiga game. A spiritual successor so to speak.

Ironically this was made by western developers, yet advertised as a Japanese game
Had an iconic soundtrack too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL35iG7Q8vk

I still have my Amiga version of Apydia somewhere in the basement together with my Amiga... The OST was by Chris Hülsbeck, right? He always made good stuff :)

Finally 1CCed Novice Maniac, took me around ten hours but now I'm pretty good at that mode... I suck so hard at these games but there are soooo much fun to play :D

Finally just 1cced 1.5 Normal mode last night. Was an absolute blast finally clearing it. Now to go for the coveted "no-death/no-bomb" run.

I really hope we get Futari sooner rather than later along with other great CAVE games.

So I have a problem with using my ds4. I use my ds4 for pc games by using inputmapper that basically makes it act like a xbox 360 controller. It has worked perfectly for most of my games and even xpadder. For some reason Mushihimesama makes it constantly scrolling, like on the title screen and when I'm playing, the character will be moving with no input. Is there something I can do to fix this? No other game I have has this issue with the ds4.

edit: nvm It seems I need to run some games with Inputmapper on administrator and have exclusive mode on.

Hi , so since i still need gedosato to play this game i would like to know if someone here can help me with setting it up , my main issue atm is that the game starts at 720p in fullscreen mode and since my monitor has a resolution of 1360x768 the game doesnt look good ( looks blurry and also the game brightness increases for some reason ), so yeah what do i need to add in the config file to make it work better with my monitor.

shockdude

Hi , so since i still need gedosato to play this game i would like to know if someone here can help me with setting it up , my main issue atm is that the game starts at 720p in fullscreen mode and since my monitor has a resolution of 1360x768 the game doesnt look good ( looks blurry and also the game brightness increases for some reason ), so yeah what do i need to add in the config file to make it work better with my monitor.
Even at 720p the game shouldn't look that blurry. What are your computer specs?
For GeDoSaTo you shouldn't need to add anything to the config file. Default GeDoSaTo settings should make the game render at native 1360x768.

Even at 720p the game shouldn't look that blurry. What are your computer specs?
For GeDoSaTo you shouldn't need to add anything to the config file. Default GeDoSaTo settings should make the game render at native 1360x768.

now that i checked again i know whats the issue, when the game starts it changes my monitor resolution to 720p , if i manually change it back to 1360x768 the game looks fine, any way to force my monitor to not change resolution?

shockdude

now that i checked again i know whats the issue, when the game starts it changes my monitor resolution to 720p , if i manually change it back to 1360x768 the game looks fine, any way to force my monitor to not change resolution?
How did you manually change it back to 1360x768?
Are you using default GeDoSaTo settings?
Also again what are your PC specs?

How did you manually change it back to 1360x768?
Are you using default GeDoSaTo settings?
Also again what are your PC specs?

ok 1st here are my spec:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30GHz
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P20 (G3) (MS-7788) (SOCKET 0)
Graphics:
- SyncMaster (1440x900@60Hz)
- LG TV (1360x768@60Hz) -> thats the monitor im using to play the game atm
- Intel HD Graphics (MSI)
- 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

now here are my current gedosato settings:

profile file said:
presentHz 60
forcePresentRes true
timeGetTimeFactor 2.0
fpsLimitBusy true
fpsLimit 60
steamFriendsLimit 0
forceBorderlessFullscreen true

user config file said:
clearRenderResolutions true
presentHz 60
forcePresentRes true
DispFull=1
forceBorderlessFullscreen true
steamFriendsLimit 0

about changing the resolution i just checked my resolution settings from my desktop after the game started and it was in 1280x720 so i changed it back to 1360x768, after that i went back to the game and it looked ok so at least for now i have to change my resolution settings to 1360x768 every time i open the game

shockdude

ok 1st here are my spec:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30GHz
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P20 (G3) (MS-7788) (SOCKET 0)
Graphics:
- SyncMaster (1440x900@60Hz)
- LG TV (1360x768@60Hz) -> thats the monitor im using to play the game atm
- Intel HD Graphics (MSI)
- 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

now here are my current gedosato settings:

about changing the resolution i just checked my resolution settings from my desktop after the game started and it was in 1280x720 so i changed it back to 1360x768, after that i went back to the game and it looked ok so at least for now i have to change my resolution settings to 1360x768 every time i open the game
The profile file looks fine. Delete the contents of the user config.
Launch Mushihimesama, set the game to fullscreen in-game, then exit and relaunch.

If it still doesn't work, then add the following single line to the user config and play around with the in-game fullscreen etc. until it works.
Code:
forceFullscreenMode true

So a update came today for Mushihimesama, now i dont need gedosato to open it , about the 720p issue i just setted the game to windowed mode and used borderless gaming to get borderless fullscreen mode in the game , now i have it in the correct resolution

Was there an issue with the sound quality? I didn't really notice anything bad about it. I would much rather they fix that damn bug that causes your game to lag/slow-down after looking at the score rankings/leaderboard/replay-data page once.

Miff

1cc = 1 credit clear, completing the game without continuing.

Edit: beaten! Well, at least the bump reminded me that I need to tackle novice ultra. I'm already intimidated before even attempting it.

Was there an issue with the sound quality? I didn't really notice anything bad about it. I would much rather they fix that damn bug that causes your game to lag/slow-down after looking at the score rankings/leaderboard/replay-data page once.

Yes, there was (see below). I don't have an easy way atm to compare the patched music side by side with the old one but going purely by ear it does seem to have improved.

ve6Awtx.jpg

Mushihimesama V1.1.3 update is ready. Patch changes:
  • Replaced V1.5 game music with better quality audio. This should improve sound in this mode.
  • Added "My Rank" sort filter to the leaderboard so you can quickly find your score.
  • Increased leaderboard capacity so that more than 100 scores can be ranked.
  • Local ranking and stage high scores have been added to the save file. You can now switch between "Today's Score", a board that is reset each game, and the permanent local leaderboard by pressing B (or X on the keyboard) during the local ranking display.
  • Removed the monthly score board.
  • Corrected errors that can appear in Training mode.
  • Corrected a graphical error in Stage 4 of Arrange mode.
  • Adjusted the startup process to prevent a crash that could occur on some machines.
  • Corrected a crash that can occur when showing friend rankings.
Thanks for your support!

Durante

• Local ranking and stage high scores have been added to the save file. You can now switch between "Today's Score", a board that is reset each game, and the permanent local leaderboard by pressing B (or X on the keyboard) during the local ranking display.
Neat!

shockdude

For the Autumn sale, Mushihimesama is currently $13.99, $17.49 with 1.5 & OST. This is $1 cheaper than during the launch sale.
With the majority of issues fixed since launch, anyone who hasn't gotten the game yet should get it asap.

linid0t

oh man almost got that 1cc original clear...

No-miss until stage 5, then choked up and lost five lives in first half+midboss. Last life got all the way to second form of final boss....

Just a little more practice to go! As soon as I screw up once I tend to mess up many times again...

Hey Degica, thanks for the continued support. I'll have you know I'm helping the Steam shmup revival by buying this and Strania by the time the sale is over :)

• Replaced V1.5 game music with better quality audio. This should improve sound in this mode.
  • Added "My Rank" sort filter to the leaderboard so you can quickly find your score.
  • Increased leaderboard capacity so that more than 100 scores can be ranked.
  • Removed the monthly score board.
  • Corrected errors that can appear in Training mode.
  • Corrected a graphical error in Stage 4 of Arrange mode.
  • Adjusted the startup process to prevent a crash that could occur on some machines.
  • Corrected a crash that can occur when showing friend rankings.
Thanks for your support!

Is the team aware of the issues with using non-XInput controllers? I have a PS3 stick and the button remapping is not working properly. Start is on the face buttons and some buttons are not recognized at all.

Blackbird, I hope you and CAVE are happy with the sales so far, and won't leave us hanging for next games like Treasure did.

Maybe we'll even get the best CAVE game ever?

CAVE already plans to announce the next game around Christmas, it's not going to be a long wait.

Princess Debut is actually legit, Black Label HD edition when!?

Deques

Are the achievements bugged? Because beating the bosses achievements don't unlock for me. I played through the game with default difficulty but none of them were unlocked. There were other achievements that got unlocked though

danmaku

DS2 isn't bad, it just looks bad. Being a 3D game it wouldn't be impossible to update it with better textures and models, but it would require a lot more work than a simple port.

My dream port is Akai Katana. It flopped in the arcades and flopped on 360 but I love it. The scoring loop feels great and the art is top notch. It's also a native HD game, albeit in 720p and not full HD. They'll probably do something else, though.

ArjanN

Are the achievements bugged? Because beating the bosses achievements don't unlock for me. I played through the game with default difficulty but none of them were unlocked. There were other achievements that got unlocked though

The boss achievements all worked for me. Sure you weren't offline at the time? I'm pretty sure they work on any difficulty/mode.

Did you actually kill the bosses or did they time out? I believe you're not awarded the achievement if they die by time limit.

I feel like Akai Katana is a really weird game. A lot of the people I've heard talking about it/playing it seem to really like the game, but the quality of the game didn't seem to translate to actual sales.

We've had quite a few requests for it actually, but it's difficult to make an argument for it without numbers to back it up.

Was it just inaccessible or something?

Akai and Deathsmiles got full retail releases in the west in the past 5 years so they would be lower priority for me, personally, but I am sure there are plenty of people who never got around to them.

As far as Akai being an oddball I guess it has a few things going on that sets it apart. It is a hori shooter which people have all sorts of opinions on hori versus vert. As well its systems are unusual with the shielding and blood swords. RSG put out a pretty great set of overview videos breaking it all down (I think it might not even cover everything in the game, if I recall)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9AF8E5F22167961B

I find it a lot of fun (and one of its main characters continues to be my forum avatar to this day), but the main criticisms of Akai Katana I hear are that it's too easy and the scoring mechanisms are so simple that the game becomes boring fast.

In a perfect world I would definitely be pushing for Dodonpachi Daioujou or Ketsui to be the next ports, but considering Cave doesn't have access to the codebase that was used to bring these titles to the 360 it's likely a pipe dream.

linid0t

I would probably have played my copy of Akai Katana more if it was a tate shmup - don't really like horis as much...

...although I guess I could just rotate my screen and play it as a tate haha

Top Bottom