• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama (Steam) |OT| More "bugs" than Batman!

Momentary

Banned
Danmaku Unlimited 2
Ikaruga
Ether Vapor (from what I remember)
Astebreed
Super Galaxy Squadron
Steredenn
Blue Flamingo
QP Shooting

These are all close to 10k and above. Needless to say, some of them have been in bundles.

Raiden IV Overkill hovers around 5K, but I see it picking up better numbers than Raiden III eventually. H2 Interactive might even bundle it with Caladrius Blaze for a Moss pack once it hits STEAM.

Mushihimesama saw another bump on the 11th.
12,197 ± 2,751

Compared to

November 10th numbers
8,943 ± 2,378

Numbers for the 12th should be the last big bump. This bodes well if you ask me. The back end sales on this will be pretty good. I'm glad I was wrong about it only getting 11K after the 12th. The game has probably made them more profit on STEAM in one week than the iOS version has during it's entire run on their app store.

SOME-MIST

ayyy... it's taking longer than I thought - haven't 1CCed normal original since the 360 version, but getting kinda close. can't wait to move onto arrange mode which is my favorite anyway.

IXATc9A.jpg

I can't comment on exact sales figures, but I can say that this was one of our best game launches so far.

Players showed amazing support for this game across the board.

mdsfx

I can't comment on exact sales figures, but I can say that this was one of our best game launches so far.

Yessss. So great to hear this.

It's funny, but I never really enjoyed this game compared to Futari and I hated level 3. Now that I've put some time into it, I love it and stage 3 is one of my favorites lol

Knurek

As long as you and CAVE are happy, we're happy as well

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE KETSUI

I got this game yesterday and played it for a few hours-- amazing! brings back memories of playing it in arcades. Thanks to Durante I'm playing it fine at my monitor's native res.

One question, though, is there an issue with vsync? Forcing it in nvidia's control panel/nvidia inspector has no effect. I can deal with the screen tearing, but I'd rather add a little of lag for smooth frames. Is there some trick to it for this game?

I got this game yesterday and played it for a few hours-- amazing! brings back memories of playing it in arcades. Thanks to Durante I'm playing it fine at my monitor's native res.

One question, though, is there an issue with vsync? Forcing it in nvidia's control panel/nvidia inspector has no effect. I can deal with the screen tearing, but I'd rather add a little of lag for smooth frames. Is there some trick to it for this game?

Have you tried the game's internal vsync? There's no interface to configure it; it has to be configured manually by editing the .ini file at present.

Momentary

Banned
Just tried this new patch and as soon as I press the fire button or bullets appear it drops to 48-62 FPS and fluctuates in that range. Seems there's a new NVIDIA driver out there. I'll try that first. Also Windows 10 has some kind of update on. Hopefully it's just a problem on my end.

Edit: It was the Windows 10 1511 installation process that was causing issues.

Yep, it was as simple as that-- just didn't think to check for an .ini file. Thanks! Also, adding afterburner/rivatuner into the mix makes is flawlessly smooth for me now.

Just tried this new patch and as soon as I press the fire button or bullets appear it drops to 48-62 FPS and fluctuates in that range. Seems there's a new NVIDIA driver out there. I'll try that first. Also Windows 10 has some kind of update on. Hopefully it's just a problem on my end.
I'm using Windows 10 with a laptop 970M and the game runs great for me. Simple thing, but maybe just check the game isn't defaulting to integrated graphics (although I think it still ran well for me that way at first).

Momentary

Banned
Yep, it was as simple as that-- just didn't think to check for an .ini file. Thanks! Also, adding afterburner/rivatuner into the mix makes is flawlessly smooth for me now.

I'm using Windows 10 with a laptop 970M and the game runs great for me. Simple thing, but maybe just check the game isn't defaulting to integrated graphics (although I think it still ran well for me that way at first).

The huge 1511 update on Windows 10 was what caused the issue. It must have installed some things in the background that caused some sort of instability. After downloading and going through with the rest of the installation the game worked great.

Durante

1CCd Novice Maniac on the second try. It's a much more gradual step up in difficulty from Novice/Original compared to going to Normal/Original. What should be the next step?

japtor

1CCd Novice Maniac on the second try. It's a much more gradual step up in difficulty from Novice/Original compared to going to Normal/Original. What should be the next step?
Hard to say cause how different the modes are, go with whatever you have fun with. Normal Original has light bullet density but high speed, while Maniac swaps that around, it depends what style you like or are more comfortable with.

Novice Ultra is another option, I haven't played enough to know the difficulty all the way through but it's fun from what I've played. It's based on Ultra so the patterns can be quite different at times, like I've been playing normal Maniac and Novice Ultra can throw me off when I try it because how different it can be.

Just mess around with each one and don't get too intimidated if any seem too hard at first, you'll adjust to them as you play more.

Alternatively there's also 1.5, haven't tried this out but maybe Novice Original/Maniac on Max? Nevermind, there's no novice 1.5.

MrDoctor

Damn, this game feels a lot harder at 60fps. The worst part is it's the single, stray bullets from "harmless" enemies that always get me.

Knurek

Damn, this game feels a lot harder at 60fps. The worst part is it's the single, stray bullets from "harmless" enemies that always get me.

As with other danmaku games, you need to a) memorize bigger bullet patterns to know how to flow through the stage and b) learn to focus on your immediate surroundings to take care of strays.

First two Novice modes are really easy, 1cc is doable for just about anyone with a bit of practice. You might want to start there. :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Which would be the best mode to go for the fire count achievements? Descriptions says (Normal, Novice), and I tried going with Novice Normal, but that mode seems to not give you fire count at all?

Oh, and how do I get 1ups? :p

/cheevowhore

Knurek

Which would be the best mode to go for the fire count achievements? Descriptions says (Normal, Novice), and I tried going with Novice Normal, but that mode seems to not give you fire count at all?

/cheevowhore

40k one is very easy to do on last boss of Novice Maniac.
Haven't managed to do 70k and 100k ones though.

MrDoctor

I can make it to at least stage 5 in almost every game mode. I was talking about needing to be more careful because one bug will occasionally escape outside of my focus.

/cheevowhore
Two are automatically acquired through scoring milestones. A third one appears at the end of stage 3 by destroying the right and left sides at the front of the large bug before the center mouth.

If you are going for survival then regular old Shot and Full Auto is enough. You can make things a little easier using some of the scoring techniques if you really want but they are not absolutely necessary.

If you are going for scoring you'll want to consult one of the more involved guides. Even though scoring is fairly simple in Mushi there is a lot of theorycrafting and practicing to optimize. Looks like there is only one guide on Steam so far but giving it a glance it looks to cover things pretty well. At the very least will get the ball rolling..

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=549288944

If there is anything more specific you are wanting help with (approaching a particular boss or section of a stage) just ask.

TGMIII

Just wanted to check I wasn't gimping myself with a particular shot fire setup.

Fairly close to 1CC'ing Original Normal. Just have to get more consistent during parts of Stage 3 towards the end and the snake section in 4. That's typically where I tend to lose most of my lives.

Weevilone

Sales/owners seem to have dropped significantly. Steam refunds??

Wouldn't surprise me if some people saw the bugs and refunded, in which case some will now wait for a bundle.

I'll admit that I don't do a ton of PC gaming, and when I start having to fiddle with *.ini files to get a game working I remember why. In my case it's often b/c I have a 21:9 display, so it's partially my fault.

Momentary

Banned
Sales/owners seem to have dropped significantly. Steam refunds??

Sales below 100,000 tend to fluctuate more-so than higher ones. There are games that will dive then shoot back up to where it was originally some days down the road for no reason. Degica and Cave seem really excited about the sales, so I doubt there's any need for concern.

McNum

Well, I am improving, managed to get to Stage 3 on Novice on my first credit. Took six credits to clear the game. I'm not sure exactly what kills me, the catarpillars or what those long segmented enemies are, are nasty, but I know the "shoot the tail" trick. I need to bomb more. Dying with unused bombs is sad.

On a technical note, it annoys me that the way the game goes fullscreen involves changing the Desktop resolution as it messes up my icon positions as well as the Sticky Notes app. I guess it's time for me to look into GeDoSaTo since this is just not okay.

I don't mind 720p, but I DO mind games that affect settings outside the game. Stop doing that.

Miff

Well, I am improving, managed to get to Stage 3 on Novice on my first credit. Took six credits to clear the game. I'm not sure exactly what kills me, the catarpillars or what those long segmented enemies are, are nasty, but I know the "shoot the tail" trick. I need to bomb more. Dying with unused bombs is sad.

The segmented dragonflies caused me some grief at first, but I'm having a bit of luck focusing on their head as soon as they appear on the screen. The middle segments only take a couple of shots to destroy, so if you can get rid of the head before it reaches the bottom of the screen, it's easy to take out some or all of the middle-segments, making any remaining bullet walls easier to navigate.

McNum

Wow, installing GeDoSaTo and forcing the game to use the native Desktop resolution cleared that right up. Nice!

And yeah, I'll try going for the head of the dragonflies. But I think my next issue will be No-Miss'ing Stage 2. I may get a Game Over at the Stage 3 boss, but it sure would be easier to avoid that if I got to it with all lives intact. Actually, isn't there something you can do to get a 1-Up in Stage 3? I think I remember reading that... Would be nice. I have a goal of getting up to the final boss on one credit (but beating it is not needed), then move on to Normal Original.

I also need to pick my favorite of the shots. Apparently, I haven't tried out W-Power yet, according to the Steam Achievements. I thought I had that. Any tips on what's good and if the Options are better in Trace or Formation for each? My shooter instincts say "USE THE SPREAD SHOT!" but I'm not entirely sure if that's best.

ArjanN

Wow, installing GeDoSaTo and forcing the game to use the native Desktop resolution cleared that right up. Nice!

And yeah, I'll try going for the head of the dragonflies. But I think my next issue will be No-Miss'ing Stage 2. I may get a Game Over at the Stage 3 boss, but it sure would be easier to avoid that if I got to it with all lives intact. Actually, isn't there something you can do to get a 1-Up in Stage 3? I think I remember reading that... Would be nice. I have a goal of getting up to the final boss on one credit (but beating it is not needed), then move on to Normal Original.

I also need to pick my favorite of the shots. Apparently, I haven't tried out W-Power yet, according to the Steam Achievements. I thought I had that. Any tips on what's good and if the Options are better in Trace or Formation for each? My shooter instincts say "USE THE SPREAD SHOT!" but I'm not entirely sure if that's best.

You can get a 1-Up on the stage 3 boss if you destroy the limbs on the left and right before you destroy the main body.

The two Mushihime-sama games have some of the craziest levels and boss fights I've seen in gaming, along with some of the best music I've heard in gaming.

danmaku

The hidden 1-up is just before the stage 3 boss, you need to destroy the limbs on the left and right before you destroy the center. Of course this means taking more risks and dodging more bullets!

Shot types: the first one covers most of the screen but it makes you very slow (you may like that or not), the third one is the most focused and gives you fastest movement and the second one falls in between. IIRC the best shot for scoring is W, but if you just want to survive pick the one you like the most. As for the options, I have no idea, I don't think there's a big difference unless you're going for very high scores.

Durante

Regarding shots, personally I had the most success with the straigtht shot so far, simply because bosses and large enemies die a bit more quickly (and in some cases, perhaps before they can finish a dangerous pattern).

Teknoman

Wait, there are 1ups in this game that arent tied to extends?

Also the battleship bug on Stage 3 plays zero games. My determination died out midway through. Of course I had no idea what to expect, so that didnt help lol.

I try to throw off that 1CC mentality, but I feel like if the game has infinite continues, i'd get better by keeping myself to trying to 1CC.

Giveaway update! The last person for the giveaway already owns the game and steam will not let me gift an extra copy so they can pass it along. Apologies if you missed the invite until now and bought the game thinking you had not won. So now I have an extra copy hanging around. I'll leave it in my inventory for the time being just in case someone can suggest a work around to get them the extra copy. If not... I'll have to find something else to do with it. We will see.

I try to throw off that 1CC mentality, but I feel like if the game has infinite continues, i'd get better by keeping myself to trying to 1CC.

This is something I have wanted to address for a while, so please excuse using this to launch into a bigger topic. I know skill shaming is kind of a thing in this genre. I think it ultimately comes from a place of good intentions but gets twisted into this bro-ish jocky asshole thing. They believe you can overcome the difficulty and use a shitty attitude to try to motivate. This isn't exclusive to this genre or even video games. You see this behavior manifest in all sorts of places.

And I have one very clear response: FUUUUCK THAT.

If you can only clear the game at 5CC and you work that down to 4CC that is an accomplishment. You are showing improvement, whether or not the game or community showers you with praise, the fact remains you are getting better. Anyone who tries to belittle that can fuck right off. It is one of the things that feeds into the extremely inclusive nature of these games and holds them back. We can have our difficult games and the strong satisfaction that comes with overcoming that difficulty without being shits about it.

Just my thoughts, sorry again for launching into a topic, and please understand this is not aimed at anyone in particular, just a prevailing attitude that can go long unaddressed.

Lastly! Going to give streaming another go here in a few, hopefully all the sound issues from yesterday have been worked out. Come hang out if you are around or check out the VOD if coming to it later.

VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/smiteofhand/v/26432747

Audio seems much better, cool. Bit of a fun surprise there in that last run.
Totally unintentional 2cc Novice Maniac

derExperte

Giveaway update! The last person for the giveaway already owns the game and steam will not let me gift an extra copy so they can pass it along. Apologies if you missed the invite until now and bought the game thinking you had not won. So now I have an extra copy hanging around. I'll leave it in my inventory for the time being just in case someone can suggest a work around to get them the extra copy. If not... I'll have to find something else to do with it. We will see.

Can't you just trade the winner the extra copy (right click on name in friends list -> Invite to trade)? It'll then be in his/her inventory.

I think I'm pretty far from a skill shamer (I can't even get past stage three on Original, lol). My only concern is that the game doesn't go far enough in suggesting that the game isn't meant to be "completed" in hundreds of credits, because that's where the genre's problems with perception of value stem from.

McNum

I really wish the game had a "Continues used" counter on the ending screen. Apparently, the only way to know is if the last credit gets on the high score list, and if you're getting manhandled by the final boss, then that's not a sure thing.

But showing the player that would give new players, like me, a visible goal to work towards. Get that counter down to 0, or at least try to go one lower than usual.

Basically, I think that for games like this, continues should be infinite, but counted. No shaming, just tell the player the stat.

peakish

I wish the leaderboard wouldn't reset when restarting the game. I can't 1cc this for shit right now and it'd be nice to at least stack my runs up against older ones when it comes to the score. Right now there's nothing T_T

Can't you just trade the winner the extra copy (right click on name in friends list -> Invite to trade)? It'll then be in his/her inventory.

Says I need to wait 30 days before I can do a trade. Suppose I could sit on it a few weeks and do it that way. I'll give the winner a chance to see if they really really want a second copy and if so will go that route. If they don't want it or I don't hear anything I'll pass it along to someone who doesn't have the game yet.

shockdude

Yeah a continue counter would be nice to have. But at least the game indicates the difference between a 1CC (all clear) and using continues ([ended at] stage 5).
I wish the leaderboard wouldn't reset when restarting the game. I can't 1cc this for shit right now and it'd be nice to at least stack my runs up against older ones when it comes to the score. Right now there's nothing T_T
Save your replays, and use them to compare your scores and strats.

Teknoman

I think I'm pretty far from a skill shamer (I can't even get past stage three on Original, lol). My only concern is that the game doesn't go far enough in suggesting that the game isn't meant to be "completed" in hundreds of credits, because that's where the genre's problems with perception of value stem from.

Yeah its the same problem I had with Metal Slug home releases (aside from the Neo Geo AES where you do get limited continues). I've probably talked about this earlier on, but I think most 8-32 bit home STG releases had it right, where you'd get maybe 3 or 4 continues along with whatever the standard amount of lives was. That way, you still have a fighting chance, but you arent lured into just brute forcing your way through later parts.

On the other hand, I wish extend scores weren't so high these days :p

danmaku

All of their ports have this problem. I think it comes from emulating the arcade hardware, so every time you run the game is like resetting the cabinet. The only workaround is saving your replays and/or playing score attack, so your best score is always uploaded on the leaderboards.

Top Bottom