• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama (Steam) |OT| More "bugs" than Batman!

-Gozer-

The best compromise I came up with for my issue is to force vsync on and cap the framerate at 58fps through nvidia inspector. This got rid of the screen tearing and reduced the input lag to acceptable levels. There is still a slight stutter but it's not very noticeable during gameplay.

braves01

Banned
I'm reminded once again that being "good" at the iOS versions (top 5%, woohoo) does not translate to the real thing AT ALL. I'm going to need to do some actual planning to get through tougher levels now.

For Cave's first foray on the PC market, this is a pretty good product. And seeing how fast they are at responding to issues, I think they are going to have a healthy future and obtain a lot more fans than before.

Yeah, they're great at responding to bug reports. Even back in the iOS days, I had no problem making reports in English to staff in Japan, and every last bug got fixed on a timely basis.

A lot has happened since then, but clearly they're still dedicated to technical quality.

Knurek

Continuing to monitor the patch updates and feedback.

Thanks for your patience.

Could you talk with someone @ CAVE to implement auto-bombing on modes other than Arrange? Possibly without the full stock loss penalty?
Obviously with achievements/leaderboards disabled, but this would help us scrubs with dealing with huge difficulty rise between Novice Maniac and Novice Ultra/Original Normal/Arrange modes.

Continuing to monitor the patch updates and feedback.

Sounds like the FPS issues are resolved for most players, but now there is screen tearing. We'll try to get that cleaned up.

Concerning the removal of "Super Shot": I'm not sure why this change was implemented. If I had to speculate, I feel like it was probably breaking something else, and was removed for that reason. I will investigate the reasoning and explain why that this functionality needs to remain in the game for scoring to work properly.

Thanks for your patience.

Can you ask them about non-XInput controller support? It is currently only partially functional, and several buttons can't be used or remapped properly. For instance, on the Soul Calibur 5 PS3 stick I'm using, some of the trigger buttons can't be used, and Start is on a trigger button as well. It's quite annoying and difficult to work around without using an external program.

Could you talk with someone @ CAVE to implement auto-bombing on modes other than Arrange? Possibly without the full stock loss penalty?
Obviously with achievements/leaderboards disabled, but this would help us scrubs with dealing with huge difficulty rise between Novice Maniac and Novice Ultra/Original Normal/Arrange modes.

I don't see how that can help.
All that's really going to happen is that you'll be using less continues and more "lives".

My advice is to practice Original Normal without bombs, or at least save them for the situations that you're absolutely sure you'll need them (certain boss patterns, etc). A lot of the time, bullets move too fast for you to panic-bomb anyway.

Mainly you want to work on memorizing enemies and their patterns. It also helps to get a feel for how much damage they take. For particular enemies, you can stay way out of the way (possibly chip at them with wide-shot and/or lasers), let them unload, then get in range to fully punish them. Oh and keep moving. Don't wait for enemies to fire and then try to dodge. 9 times out of 10 enemies fire bullets that are aimed directly at you. As long as you're throwing them off, you'll have less mess to deal with.

Durante

I have to say I really appreciate the patch frequency on this. Second patch, second time I can take out a few lines from the GeDoSaTo config file ;)

Also Mushihimesama doesn't support portrait resolutions. You need to unrotate your desktop (so that your monitor is vertical and the desktop is sideways), then launch Mushihimesama and rotate in-game. Hopefully they'll add proper vertical resolution support in a future patch.

This worked, and downsampling is now kicking in through GeDoSaTo. Thanks for your help.

Man. I'm not an absolute shmup newbie (I'm very mildly competent at Dodonpachi and Espgaluda, just enough to clear the latter) but stage 3 in this game crushes me every time. It just feels like such an exhausting stage; I really need to sit down and hammer away at it in practice mode.

Fantastic game. I'm surprised at how fun Novice Ultra is; this is pretty much one of the only easy modes I've found fulfilling for a long time.

Jockel

Newb? What are you talking about, an Espgaluda 1cc is no easy feat, thanks to the ridiculously hard final boss.
Edit: disregard this post, didn't see the "not"

KainXVIII

v1.1.2.8 FULL AUTO/SHOTロールバック、VシンクIniオプション追加など / Rollback of the FULL AUTO/SHOT change, Additional Vsync option in ini and more
日本語は下記に続きます
ver 1.1.2.8 Patch Details
BigPicture Mode : corrected the bug where fullscreen setting was not kept.
Rollback: RAPID SHOT is not ignored when FULL AUTO, RAPID FULL AUTO are pushed.
This modification was introduced to correct the weird behavior of the options when both were pushed, but as this is needed for scoring techniques it was removed.
Sorry for the mixup.
Additional vsync parameter now available in ini file
File Mushihimesama.ini in the install folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mushihimesama
Vsync=1 Vsync On
Vsync=0 Vsync Off
If you experience screen tearing, please try to turn it on.
However, turning vsync ON might create some slowdown on Windows 8 or later system.
Corrected a problem where the fullscreen option could be reverted on single display systems
Additional adjustments to prevent crash from title screen.
Correction of a problem that could cause crash when the system setting were changed.

We keep looking for fixes for all your reports.

:(

Miff

Man. I'm not an absolute shmup newbie (I'm very mildly competent at Dodonpachi and Espgaluda, just enough to clear the latter) but stage 3 in this game crushes me every time. It just feels like such an exhausting stage; I really need to sit down and hammer away at it in practice mode.

Fantastic game. I'm surprised at how fun Novice Ultra is; this is pretty much one of the only easy modes I've found fulfilling for a long time.

Yeah I find Stage 3 is brutal just before the boss, and I'm still playing Novice. Specifically, (spoiler)
I have real trouble in the 1-up area
, the first bullet pattern that is fired after the enemy scrolls to the bottom of the screen. I usually end up using a bomb as it's better than taking a 50/50 gamble of dying.

I struggled to get back into Mushi last night, my reaction speed really dropped since the weekend. Must have been really expensive at the arcade if you had an "off day". I blame the patch
just kidding

Edit: Another patch, I'm really impressed at their efforts to perfect the game. Thanks Degica / Cave!

shockdude

Nice patch. Consistently getting fullscreen with multiple monitors now.

Still can't get exclusive fullscreen most of the time; the game keeps running in borderless windowed. I managed to get the game running in exclusive fullscreen once, and it felt good.
My issue might be a laptop-specific issue, with Intel drivers and all that silliness, and honestly it's an issue most people wouldn't notice.

Imo for a port like this there should be a game launcher or external configuration utility. This would make it easy for users to set custom resolutions, vsync, screen rotations etc. without having to edit the core game code.

In the meantime I 1CC'd Original Novice again, this time with a highscore and everything. Could probably do a no-miss run too; my two deaths were both really stupid deaths in Stage 3.

Imo for a port like this there should be a game launcher or external configuration utility. This would make it easy for users to set custom resolutions, vsync, screen rotations etc. without having to edit the core game code.

I mentioned being willing to code an external configuration tool last week, when the only workaround for most of the issues was GeDoSaTo. That need has seemingly lessened but I could still work on it. This past week ended up being busier than expected though but it's something I could likely take on soon if it's something people want.

linid0t

I wish there was a way to drop checkpoint flags or save states in training mode - it's very annoying to practice getting the 1up on stage 3 or the last worm part of stage 4 otherwise.

I've gotta say, cave/degica has been killing it on the patch turn around. Mad respect. Framerate is rock solid 60 for me now. No tearing here. Missed my chance to see the weird supershot removal as that looks to be all back to normal.

Assuming nothing weird is found this might be THE patch for anyone who has been sitting on the sidelines waiting. There are a few things that still need to be ironed out (like non xinput sticks) but overall the experience looks to be solid to me.

Stage 3: It is a hell of a ramp up for sure. If you are really struggling with it make sure you are downloading replays from the leaderboard and giving them a watch. It can be a nice break from run after run, while still keeping you in the head space (not going totally cold like a full/proper break will do, though these are important too, friends!) Stage 3 is basically tap dodge central. Most of your movement should be minor and with intent. Especially if you want that 1UP.

OmegaDL50

Wow. Awesome speed, bravo Cave.

I'm assuming they're referring to the standard lag you'd get from vsync. Hopefully.

Yeah, most STGs don't ever run at a preset speed all of the time.

If you experience what appears to be slowdown but with an external utility like Fraps is still showing 60FPS, it is intentional by design of the game.

No Shoot'Em Up runs at full speed all of the time as far as I'm aware. There is always a degree of intentionally placed slowdown to make the game playable due to the mass of bullets and objects that need to be avoided on screen.

epmode

I've gotta say, cave/degica has been killing it on the patch turn around.
Yeah, I'm impressed too. The patches have been useful, they're being released very quickly and the developer has been talkative on social media.

The only thing I hope to see is official support for resolutions other than 720p. GeDoSaTo has proven that the game window can look far better on higher resolution screens, all without any additional art from the developer. I haven't seen Degica talk about it, though.

Saikyo

If you experience what appears to be slowdown but with an external utility like Fraps is still showing 60FPS, it is intentional by design of the game.

No Shoot'Em Up runs at full speed all of the time as far as I'm aware. There is always a degree of intentionally placed slowdown to make the game playable due to the mass of bullets and objects that need to be avoided on screen.

But its written on the patch notes that vsync makes "new" unintended slowdowns if played on Win8, not the original ones from the game.

MrDoctor

Game seems buttery smooth now with barely noticeable input lag. Gonna' try running GeDoSaTo again for the higher res.

I wish there was a way to drop checkpoint flags or save states in training mode - it's very annoying to practice getting the 1up on stage 3 or the last worm part of stage 4 otherwise.
The trick with the stage 4 dragonflies is to destroy each segment as quickly as possible. Destroying a tail will cancel every bullet on screen, which is good for dealing with the popcorn bugs.

The 1up on stage 3 is about tap dodging as said above. I can try making a video if it's something people are really having trouble with.

ghibli99

I'm reminded once again that being "good" at the iOS versions (top 5%, woohoo) does not translate to the real thing AT ALL. I'm going to need to do some actual planning to get through tougher levels now.
LOL Yeah, the mobile games' movement gives you a false sense of confidence compared to the originals. Still wildly fun though, and it still blows me away that all those Cave games are available on that format. :)

I meant to give people more of a warning, apologies!

The launch special ends in less than 2 hours so if you want the 25% off get moving!!!

edit: well, the timer elapsed but it is still showing the discount so maybe a few more can sneak in if you are quick about it.

edit2: nope, gone! Sorry again if anyone missed out. Really meant to give a fair reminder but totally snuck up on me.

Since now that I can pass through stages 1 and 2 in Normal mode without dying,
most of the times
, I decided to spend all my continues and see the game through the "end". Boy, I guess it's going to take a while for me to beat stages 3 and 4 fairly :v

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So once the glitchiness is all sorted out, will this be the definitive version of the game? Haven't been paying much attention to how the slowdown is replicated or any of that sort of thing, but I'm curious.

The arcade PCB will always be the definitive version since that is what all other versions are weighed against. But since that isn't practical for most people this will likely be the practical definitive version. Putting it a small notch ahead of the xbox 360 just because of the region locking.

Again, depending on how patching and things go, of course.

Durante

I have to say I really appreciate the patch frequency on this. Second patch, second time I can take out a few lines from the GeDoSaTo config file ;)
Heh, another patch just hours after I posted that. Great job.

Native arbitrary res support (without any new art mind you) would still be nice, but that's the only thing missing now AFAIK.

Knurek

Native arbitrary res support (without any new art mind you) would still be nice, but that's the only thing missing now AFAIK.

Boss Rush Mode?

Ketsui DS is how I started playing CAVE games. :)

Tain

So once the glitchiness is all sorted out, will this be the definitive version of the game? Haven't been paying much attention to how the slowdown is replicated or any of that sort of thing, but I'm curious.

I'd say so. I'm not a great player (only cleared Original so far), but the slowdown seems very similar to the 360 version from what I've played of both.

And I can't do gsync on my 360.

So do gsync/freesync work well with the game in its current state? That would be one of the huge pluses for this port over the 360 version.

Tain

Gsync works beautifully. The game is super responsive and has no tearing. It worked fine while the game was at 56fps, too, only obviously the speed was off.

Momentary

Banned
I know that non Shmup GAF will scoff at these numbers:

November 10th numbers
8,943 ± 2,378

But this is pretty good for this sort of game. Especially at the price point. The last 2 days will probably have it push past 10,000. Maybe even 11,000.

This will do well on the back end. First sale will probably shoot this up into the 30,000 range easy.

mdsfx

I know that non Shmup GAF will scoff at these numbers:

November 10th numbers
8,943 ± 2,378

But this is pretty good for this sort of game. Especially at the price point. The last 2 days will probably have it push past 10,000. Maybe even 11,000.

This will do well on the back end. First sale will probably shoot this up into the 30,000 range easy.

I've kept an eye on sales too. I wonder what kind of numbers warrant more releases.

Durante

This prompted me to look up some more STG numbers.

XIIZEAL is sadly just at 1,822 ± 1,073
Very underrated game. Go buy it.

Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION is sitting at 98,210 ± 7,879
It has a few sales behind it, but still great numbers (for one of the best games in the genre on Steam it has to be said).

GundeadliGne at 45,544 ± 5,366
This is extremely cheap and was often bundled, so not really comparable.

REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR at 40,907 ± 5,085
Mid-priced, but I think it was also bundled once.

Jamestown is up to 613,939 ± 19,680
One of the earliest shmups on Steam I can remember, had a lot of hype going for it and quite a few bundle inclusions since.

A lot of games I tried to look up were filtered out by SteamSpy, in particular the stuff published by Nyu Media :(

shockdude

A lot of shmups were included in a Humble Shmups Bundle and its encore sale. IIRC this included Crimzon Clover, REVOLVER360, Danmaku Unlimited 2, Aqua Kitty, and others.

japtor

Report from Mac land, the previous update seemed kinda laggy relative to the one before, new one seems better. OS X already has vsync so I just left Mushi's off. Sound is still a bit off in menus so my computer might just be too slow or OS X vsync is messing with it (gets choppy, sounds kinda like speed/timing is slightly off). I found a way to turn vsync off in OS X...but not back on (without just restarting). I'll test when I figure out the latter part.

It's definitely a thing in Cave games but I'm not sure about it as a generalization, except maybe bullet hell ones. Like Psikyo stuff rarely slowed down iirc (and they were bastards cause of it), I vaguely recall watching a stream of Dragon Blaze and at one point the guy said "yes, you just saw a Psikyo game slow down."
LOL Yeah, the mobile games' movement gives you a false sense of confidence compared to the originals. Still wildly fun though, and it still blows me away that all those Cave games are available on that format. :)
It actually helped me a bit, but I think that's just cause I moved more or less how I'd move with a stick most of the time, old habits die hard I guess. That and getting too fast and loose with the movement could throw off some the enemy shot patterns which made them harder to read and react to for me.

Durante

None of the Touhou games have any intentional slowdowns AFAIK (except for some "spell effects" in a few games, which I'd argue is a different thing), so it's not even universal for bullet hell games.

microfolk

None of the Touhou games have any intentional slowdowns AFAIK (except for some "spell effects" in a few games, which I'd argue is a different thing), so it's not even universal for bullet hell games.

There is one (1) spellcard with intentional slowdown in the whole series post EoSD for what it's worth, but yeah, it's not a selling point of the genre.

ChryZ

This ... come on, CAVE. Future proof your stuff, it's a no-brainer.

Mushi V1.1.2.8 is up, with more FPS optimizations, full screen error fixes, and an option to switch V-sync in the .ini file.

I investigated the fix to disable the combination of "Rapid Shot" and "Full Auto Shot" (aka "Super Shot"). Super Shot was removed because pressing both buttons at once was causing incorrect movement of the player's options. However, after reconsidering the effect of removing Super Shot on high level play and score attack, we decided to revert the change because the option error was not severe.

A manual V-Sync toggle has been added via the .ini files, which should help a lot. You can now use whichever setting gives you the most benefit.

I have a feeling that some of the chugging/stuttering that we're still seeing is actually a consequence of the bug which can cause poor performance after uploading to/accessing the leaderboards. We should fix that next.

The current priority is to fix remaining gameplay-affecting issues like FPS smoothness, the V1.5 sound errors, and graphical errors, and then move on to highly requested feature expansions like local leaderboards and more resolution options.

We're also working on getting Mushihimesama on GOG. If GOG sees a lot of demand for Mushihimesama on their platform, it will help convince them to pick up the game and get it on their store more quickly.
So vote here if you want DRM-free Mushihimesama faster!

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/mushihimesama

Durante

I think it's ridiculous that GoG needs people to vote for a Cave game, but I voted anyway.

There is one (1) spellcard with intentional slowdown in the whole series post EoSD for what it's worth, but yeah, it's not a selling point of the genre.
Doesn't Youmu alone have two?

(Fun fact: I had a Youmu avatar on GAF back when I first joined)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
We're also working on getting Mushihimesama on GOG. If GOG sees a lot of demand for Mushihimesama on their platform, it will help convince them to pick up the game and get it on their store more quickly.

have you considered putting it on playism? barring the few games where they only offer steam keys, they're always my preferred option.

linid0t

Game seems buttery smooth now with barely noticeable input lag. Gonna' try running GeDoSaTo again for the higher res.

The trick with the stage 4 dragonflies is to destroy each segment as quickly as possible. Destroying a tail will cancel every bullet on screen, which is good for dealing with the popcorn bugs.

The 1up on stage 3 is about tap dodging as said above. I can try making a video if it's something people are really having trouble with.

Oh I have a good idea of how I'm supposed to deal with it, but whenever I reach that section I panic and mess up haha. Original bullets too fast for me -_-

shockdude

Touhou 7 has a few bullet patterns with slowdown thanks to Youmu, but every other mainline Touhou shooter doesn't have intentional slowdown. Also unlike CAVE slowdown, Touhou slowdown remains at 60FPS.
The eXceed series doesn't have slowdown, and I don't think Crimzon Clover has slowdown either.
I have a feeling that some of the chugging/stuttering that we're still seeing is actually a consequence of the bug which can cause poor performance after uploading to/accessing the leaderboards. We should fix that next.

The current priority is to fix remaining gameplay-affecting issues like FPS smoothness, the V1.5 sound errors, and graphical errors, and then move on to highly requested feature expansions like local leaderboards and more resolution options.
Looking further to future updates!

I did my part!

0cpKkfF.gif

@MUWANdo

Banned

It has a few sales behind it, but still great numbers (for one of the best games in the genre on Steam it has to be said).

One of the earliest shmups on Steam I can remember, had a lot of hype going for it and quite a few bundle inclusions since.

A lot of games I tried to look up were filtered out by SteamSpy, in particular the stuff published by Nyu Media :(

I'll add a couple more:

DELTAZEAL 1,253 ± 1,096

(I'm not surprised that the Zeal games aren't blowing up--they're fairly vanilla, which makes them hard to advertise, and most of the hardcore shmup zealots are Cave and/or Touhou nuts, so this style of no-bullshit game doesn't really excite them.)

Eschatos 1,301 ± 898

Judgement Silversword 1,301 ± 898

(these two games are by the same dev and were bundled together at launch; I suspected Silversword might have sold better due to being a slightly more recognisable name, but it seems it didn't make much difference. I'm surprised neither game is higher--Eschatos in particular is a game I thought would do well with more casual players. Maybe they'll start buying it once someone tells them it exists, I guess.)

I know this documentary is a bit old but I'm sure there are some people in this thread that haven't seen it yet.

It's a neat French documentary about the history of STGs in Japan.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Thanks! I remember seeing this a while ago and was thinking of digging it up too. Now that I've put some time into the genre I'll probably rewatch this doc.

I'll add a couple more:

DELTAZEAL 1,253 ± 1,096

Eschatos 1,301 ± 898

Judgement Silversword 1,301 ± 898

I'll add:

Sine Mora 218,563 ± 11,644

Had no idea that game did so well. I really liked it, I hope it gets a sequel someday.

Top Bottom